Status
Not open for further replies.

cheezhead430

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
nothing immoral here, i dont think
i got a wonderful gift for christmas already, the bourne ultimatum dvd
the only problem is i got the fullscreen version and i have 2 widescreen tv's at home
all i wanna do is exchange the fullscreen dvd for a widescreen version of the same movie
which store has the most flexible/convenient return/exchange service for me to be able to do this?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer'] WOW!! No one came in to say this is return fraud yet? Oops....guess I better just duck back out before I jinx it.[/quote]

RETURN FRAUD!

i dont think this one qualifies as return fraud, since they are getting the same movie only in full screen. but maybe it is. i would buy the dvd as widescreen then return the full screen using that receipt. i used to do this for toys when i find them cheaper and i've already opened them. saved me alot of hassle trying to put the shit back together.. its very important to make sure the upc # is the same.

for the record, i bought Lord of the Rings The Two Towers widescreen at BJ's years ago. opened it, and it was the FULL SCREEN version of the movie instead of widescreen (says widescreen on the box). for some stupid reason they wouldn't take it back. so i bought the dvd from them again and returned using the previous receipt and told them that it wouldn't work on my dvd player and they took it back.

I've done it at Best Buy, but that was when I knew it came from Best Buy.

I'd have to put this on another plane than return fraud, at least in the common terms we're used to around here. You're not taking some super huge sale price item and trying to get full price credit for it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer'] WOW!! No one came in to say this is return fraud yet? Oops....guess I better just duck back out before I jinx it.[/QUOTE]
To be fair the guy doesnt sound like someone trying to scam by buying a game on sale and get more value at best buy or walmart. But yea it is still farud.

Why is this fraud any more than exchanging a shirt for a different size? Granted the giver could have given a gift receipt, but many people still don't do that. If the store sells WS, odds are it sells FS as well (and vice versa). I'm not sure what the sales numbers for each are, and it probably varies by title and retailer, but even if it's a WS-centric local market, upping the store's FS count by one and dropping its WS count by the same won't do it any harm.
I wouldn't even bother buying the WS and using its receipt to return it--because 99% chance the UPCs are different, and that *could* be interpreted as return fraud (Hey, why are you returning this product that doesn't match the UPC code on the receipt?). Just go to customer service, say I got the FS version as a gift and I want the WS version instead. I'd probably say WalMart would be the most accepting of it, assuming it's a "mainstream" DVD that they have.
It's funny, I'm betting a large portion of the members here have used things like the GCO discount more than once guilt-free, but somehow exchanging a gifted FS dvd for the same item in WS gets called 'return fraud'.

wow you people and return fraud . this is a joke i did the same thing at wal-mart. i returned a ff for a ws and had no problem.

how is this return fraud he is exchanging i assume an unopened fs dvd for ws version. it is not like he is trying to get the ws and cash back he wants to do a straight up trade.

some people here just need to calm down with the r.f talk. it gets annoying and makes you look like a morality nazi. GROW UP

[quote name='62t']To be fair the guy doesnt sound like someone trying to scam by buying a game on sale and get more value at best buy or walmart. But yea it is still farud.[/quote]

Hey Cheapest

Its not fraud

its farud

its the new word of the day :)

[quote name='whitedeath']wow you people and return fraud . this is a joke i did the same thing at wal-mart. i returned a ff for a ws and had no problem.

how is this return fraud he is exchanging i assume an unopened fs dvd for ws version. it is not like he is trying to get the ws and cash back he wants to do a straight up trade.

some people here just need to calm down with the r.f talk. it gets annoying and makes you look like a morality nazi. GROW UP[/quote]

Asking which place has the most open/lenient return or exchange policy + not having a receipt to prove they got it there(or at least @ another store in the same chain)=wanting to return something they possibly didn't get at the chain.

Plus, I don't know about you, but I see Full Frame versions of movies languish on store shelves for months and months until they have one of those cheap sales @ BB or CC. So, imo, exchanging a FF version for the usually more sought after WS is taking a product that might sell for something that they may be stuck with. That sounds like the store may lose money on it, imo.

So, it's not an 'even trade'.

So tell me whitedeth, if I came to Blockbuster where your wife works and said 'I have no receipt, but I figure I should be able to trade this sealed movie here because I wanted the WS version and my relatives got me the Full Screen one. Do you think I would A) have the cops called on me for outright saying I wanna commit return fraud and swap items at their store or B) they would say 'sure since you're a good customer and we wanna keep our customers happy', even if they've never seen me before.

I'm leaning towards A personally, or they'd just tell me that 'we can't do that without a receipt'. So why should any other store have to do 'even swaps' of what may well be merchandise they didn't sell?

Why this thread isn't locked yet is beyond me.

But, as a gift of unknown origin, it may have actually came from Wal-Mart. Returning the Wal-Mart purchased gift to Wal-Mart would not be fraud at all.

[quote name='tholly']But, as a gift of unknown origin, it may have actually came from Wal-Mart. Returning the Wal-Mart purchased gift to Wal-Mart would not be fraud at all.[/quote]

But, the OP doesn't know for sure if it did or not, so sticking them with their FS version of the movies, while taking a copy of the WS versions is still fraud.

I still don't see why the f people don't give gift receipts, they're easy to ask for and save ALOT of hassle.

It's not "fraud".
It was a gift of unknown origin. Making use of a store's *own policies* is hardly "fraud".
FS still sells (don't know why, but it does). Otherwise the store wouldn't carry it.
If the store doesn't sell the item that is being returned, well, of course they shouldn't accept it. Odds are if they don't sell it it's not in their computer and they might even be *able* to take it. The times I've done this I've gone into the store and made sure they sold the item I was going to return.
I'd say using insider knowledge to "help" employees pull their own pennied-out guides that by their own policies they should destroy/return since they are outright losing money on them if sold, then, oh, coincidentally buying 30-40 of them is much more "fraud". Hell, even buying lots of clearance games at one store to "flip" at another as used could technically be "fraud" since most retailers have a "no resellers" policy on discounted items; if one is buying in that quantity and solely for "flipping", they could technically be considering resellers.
Oh, I've also bought at store A for X and returned at store B for 2X, both with and without receipt. Buy low sell high, it's a product they sell, I spend thousands at store B anyway, and I feel no guilt about it whatsoever. As far as "consumer fraud" goes, it's one of the least clear examples and one with no "harm" done to anyone.

wow, it would seem i have stirred up quite some debate
here's how i feel:
A)plenty of people do buy fullscreen because, like my friends, they dont pay attention to whether its fullscreen or widescreen, they just grab one. my friends, if asked, would probably realize that i would prefer widescreen to fullscreen (i have two WS tvs) but they most likely never considered it
B)i'm fairly certain they did make the purchase at walmart (proximity, convenience, identical packaging, etc.)
C)if this was a serious problem, isnt it the store's responsibility to put a stop to it? if they really are losing money, they have every right to refuse to exchange the dvd for me

in conclusion, yes i already made the swap with no hiccups
and maybe its a little shady to ask where the best place to do this is, i'll admit that, but i dont think the concept harms anyone, or is really fradulent, i'm not trying to turn any kind of profit

LOL It's like both sides go back and forth with the 'it's return fraud' and 'no its not' thing.

If for nothing, it is definitely a grey area, but thinking a friend got the item there and having a receipt showing as such is a big gap if you ask me.

And again(especially now that the OP said the 'trade went through) I have to ask, why isn't this thread locked yet?

Ugh. Guys, please. I don't care how you feel about the policy, I don't care if you can justify the actions or not. Why? Because the Popo don't care.

We. Can't. Discuss. This. Here. Or. We're. Gonna. Have. Legal. Problems.

OP, ask for a gift receipt from the person who bought it for you... if you're afraid of hurting their feelings, tell them it's scratched or you already have it or it doesn't play in your system or something like that.

Thread is being cleaned out of possible Return Fraud information and... Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back