Best way to Cash In on DVDs?

SOLDIER

CAGiversary!
Feedback
91 (100%)
So with more and more of my favorite movies hitting Blu Ray, I've been looking into selling my DVD copies and upgrade to their BLU equivalents. My question to you (and sorry if this isn't the right place to ask) is how can I get the most cash out of my used DVDs? On Ebay I see DVD titles being sold for a paltry $2-$5.

I just wanted to know the best way to cash in my DVDs, and what's the maximum amount I could potentially make.

Your best bet is to attempt to sell them in a large bundle on craigslist. getting 2-5 per DVD is just about the maximum you will get if you sell them individually.

There's a program from certain studios that gives you a rebate when you buy a blu that you already own on dvd, I don't know much about it but there's a sticky at the top of the forum with more details. Aside from that I don't know if you could expect much more than $2-5.

DVDs are not worth much so dont expect more than what you said, $2-$5. My wife took a full box of about 100 dvd's to work a few months ago and asked $3 for each one. They were all gone in two days. Easy way to get $300 in a short amount of time.

I would do research, are any of them out of print and rare? Those you could put up on a place like Amazon marketplace.

The others just hope you can get someone to give you $4 for it on craigslist. Don't expect $10 for a common used DVD these days.

You can now buy used for 3.00 at big lots and 2/3 bucks at local pawn shops. If you have a list let me know always looking for more stuff to watch :)

Im gonna try selling mine back to amazon, who i buy 90% of my dvd's from. I dont have blu ray, just have a nice backlog. If anyone is interested in Firefly, or the original Wickerman (just saw it tonight) give me a holler, either way im selling a ton of other stuff back to amazon. May as well since that is who i do so much biz with...

There's a record store in my town that buys/sells DVDs as well. They buy DVDs for an average of $5 each which I think it pretty good, though I haven't felt the need to get rid of any of mine.
Maybe you could check around to some of your local places that buy/sell things like music, games, DVDs, etc.

a good dvd collection is hard to let go. Just last week I had to start boxing up tv seasons and box sets to make more room. Even though I know all my DVDs will end up in boxes someday, I don't think I'd let them go. Like one post said, you gotta consider the rarity of some (which I've got a few) My profiler says I've spent around $12k on DVDs and BD since my first DVD (The Matrix) when the PS2 came out. There is no way I would let them all go for 80% less of that or something god awful, I'd rather keep them (if you've got the space)...

dvds pretty much worthless these days. i too started upgrading. luckily i didnt have too big a collection (about 50 or so dvds, i only buy movies i am in love with, same with BD).

$3 is about the going rate these days, dont expect much more. selling them as a lot would actually net a lower $/dvd but would help move them all at once. craigslist is definitely great for selling the whole thing locally without shipping/listing/fees etc.

i will echo what was said about rare releases, do some research. also Disney cartoons are usually high in demand/value.

I've been giving mine away to family and friends. Luckily, I didn't have a big collection. I only have a few left, I'll probably just chuck them in the garbage.

Amazon has an OK deal. If you trade in DVD's (doesn't say anything about a minimum), you'll get a $10 credit towards a blu-ray purchase. The hard part is finding your DVD's to trade in. Only about half of mine are on the list of stuff to trade in.

[quote name='Apushmataha']Amazon has an OK deal. If you trade in DVD's (doesn't say anything about a minimum), you'll get a $10 credit towards a blu-ray purchase. The hard part is finding your DVD's to trade in. Only about half of mine are on the list of stuff to trade in.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if that is a carryover of the $10 coupon for $50 trade in. Seems unlikely that I could trade in just one DVD and get a $10 coupon

[quote name='cod4rulez4']I wonder if that is a carryover of the $10 coupon for $50 trade in. Seems unlikely that I could trade in just one DVD and get a $10 coupon[/QUOTE]

I was wondering how the deal worked. I saw the promo here, but there are no details. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Maybe it's a mistake?

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']There's a record store in my town that buys/sells DVDs as well. They buy DVDs for an average of $5 each which I think it pretty good, though I haven't felt the need to get rid of any of mine.
Maybe you could check around to some of your local places that buy/sell things like music, games, DVDs, etc.[/QUOTE]
A store that buys DVDs at $5 a piece??? I can't imagine they're turning much of a profit on these. I know I personally would never spend more than $10 on a used DVD and I rarely spent more than $10-$15 on a brand new DVD.

Actually, I am holding on to a lot of my DVDs, the reason being that I am satisfied with the 1080i upconversion my Blu-Ray player provides. The only ones I will upgrade are The Dark Knight and Pixar films.

I work at Moviestop, and we do a great program where you trade in four DVDs worth at least $1.50 and get a free preorder on something coming out. And although the preorder is only for specific titles, it's always the biggest movies (Hangover and Inglourious Basterds are definitely on there).
It's good because it basically bumps them each up to $4. I know $4 isn't a lot, but if you're selling two DVDs that you think are already worth $4, and two that you know are worth less, then you're still getting that bump up to $16 for all four.
That's how I get rid of mine if I ever need to (I get rid of DVDs only when I rebuy them on blu ray or in a boxset) and it is almost always the smartest option.

I have quite a few I've either upgraded or otherwise obsoleted (in no particular order):

Matrix
Matrix Revisited
Matrix Reloaded
Matrix Revolutions
Animatrix
Transformers
Batman Begins (Two-disc Deluxe with a comic book and hologram front... hmm maybe I'll keep this one...)
Stargate (Ultimate Edition)
40-year Old Virgin
Knocked Up
Not Another Teen Movie
Dodgeball
Daredevil
Die Another Day
Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children
Kingdom of Heaven
Hulk
Star Trek Nemesis (The initial version)
Star Trek Generations (Special Collector's Edition)
Star Trek First Contact (Special Collector's Edition)
Star Trek Insurrection(Special Collector's Edition)
Star Trek Nemesis (Special Collector's Edition)

I wouldn't be big on shipping one to somebody, but if someone wants several of them, I'd probably be more inclined...

[quote name='synergy3000']Try goozex.com[/QUOTE]

Most dvds move pretty slowly their in my experience, as people are mostly in the same boat--wanting to ditch DVDs and upgrade to Blu Ray. And sounds like he doesn't want to ship them individually anyway.

It saddens me to see people get rid of whole collections just because theres some titles they can buy on blu now. Big waste of money. If theres some titles that are 'must haves' on Blu..I can understand. But making every purchase a blu purchase if you already own it on dvd is pretty idiotic.

I probably wont by a blu until Lord of the Rings or Star Wars is released on Blu.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']It saddens me to see people get rid of whole collections just because theres some titles they can buy on blu now. Big waste of money. If theres some titles that are 'must haves' on Blu..I can understand. But making every purchase a blu purchase if you already own it on dvd is pretty idiotic.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm only upgrading a select few that are:

1. Favorites that I watch pretty often.
2. Movies that benefit a lot from the better picture--ones with a lot of special effects, or great cinematography.

If I had to guess, I'd say that out of my 300+ DVDs, I'll end up upgrading 15-20. I'm not much of a videophile, so I don't care enough to upgrade more than that.

Combined with the fact that very few of those 300+ movies get watched all that often anyway as I spend more of my limited time to watch movies (with long hours, social events and other hobbies eating up free time) watching something new from Netflix.

But to each their own. I'm not saddened that others are videophiles and will upgrade most everything they can.

Are you telling me that all these DVDs I am buying for cheap... I will grow to regret them in a few years like I regretted buying all of those VHSs for cheap years ago? =/

I just don't see it... DVDs are great quality and can be upconverted for even better quality... They will always be good to me.

Aside from new movies, the DVDs that I am rebuying are ones that either A. Have a significant upgrade with picture quality...usually those older movies that were pretty crappy DVD transfers anyways. Or B. Blu-rays that are cheap, like Gohastings 30% off used sales. That way when I sell my DVD for 3-5 bucks, my Blu-ray upgrade only cost me a few bucks. I think that is worth it. But buying my entire collection again...that's not worth it. Even when the movie falls under category A, I don't buy it full price...waiting for a sale, or used price is the key :)

[quote name='LeRoy']I usually just trade mine in at amazon. Use the credit to get more Blu-Rays.[/QUOTE]

Im definitely trying amazon, and am happy with regular dvd quality, just havent made the big tech up swing yet...

goozex suck.. i had an account with alot of credit that they didn't want me to use... so what do they do? they disabled my account without reason.

Luckily i bought the credit when they had the sale and i did a full charge back on my card and got every penny back..

fork goozex up the arse lols

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Are you telling me that all these DVDs I am buying for cheap... I will grow to regret them in a few years like I regretted buying all of those VHSs for cheap years ago? =/

I just don't see it... DVDs are great quality and can be upconverted for even better quality... They will always be good to me.[/QUOTE]

yeah and no one will ever need more than 637kb in a personal computer either...

good thread I am looking to ditch a lot of mine as well. i just dont re watch movies all that often.

Good thread. I've been thinking the same thing.

I have about a 500+ dvd collection with 400 or so being anime tv series. I don't watch dvds anymore, so I really should get rid of them since they take up so much space. I feel bad selling them for $3 though since I paid about $25 a piece.

It's especially bad for the R2 dvds I have that cost like $50-100 each. Not only is there no one to sell them to in the US, but even if I did they'd sell for $5 or something. I'll probably just hang on to my R2 collection and weep.

[quote name='Bebpo']Good thread. I've been thinking the same thing.

I have about a 500+ dvd collection with 400 or so being anime tv series. I don't watch dvds anymore, so I really should get rid of them since they take up so much space. I feel bad selling them for $3 though since I paid about $25 a piece.

It's especially bad for the R2 dvds I have that cost like $50-100 each. Not only is there no one to sell them to in the US, but even if I did they'd sell for $5 or something. I'll probably just hang on to my R2 collection and weep.[/QUOTE]

sell on ebay. make sure to make it visible (or list in) the region they are coded for. i personally loath anime, but i know that a lot of it is on the rare side and rarely reprinted. im sure it holds in value. a quick ebay 'completed listings' search should help you get an idea of the prices.

the 1-3$ stuff is like really popular movies which are easily available, or not popular or already prime candidates for blu-ray upgrading.

Unless you have a lot of anime DVDs, you probably won't get more than a few bucks for a DVD anyway.

Some anime dvd sets are hard to find and can fetch good money.

[quote name='guywhotrades']goozex suck.. i had an account with alot of credit that they didn't want me to use... so what do they do? they disabled my account without reason.

Luckily i bought the credit when they had the sale and i did a full charge back on my card and got every penny back..

fork goozex up the arse lols[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that happened, I have had great experiences with them myself.

Just printed up my amazon label, will mail off my 8 dvd's for a total of $50 tomorrow. Also, i found that some of my dvd's have really ramped up in value since they are no longer being manufactured for sale, selling one currently on ebay and its already $20 with 12 peeps watching it for the next 5 days. I think this will work out real well, its interesting to see how valuable some of these are for sure. To the OP id suggest looking around before selling them cheap...

8 DVDs for $50 on Amazon? You must have some super-OOP stuff since they typically pay pennies for DVDs. I use SecondSpin myself. Sent them 30ish DVDs and got $92 in my Paypal account 72 hours after I shipped.

Yeah selling Always sunny in philadelphia, seasons 1-3, and some others that bring in some good chaching. But also figured out that some are much better off selling through ebay so its all good :)... ive got a local video store that gives me pretty decent store credit for the lesser valued ones, ive got like $140 in store credit now...

Well hopefully I'll get $112 (thanks to the 10% bonus code)

I'm pretty bumped I'll only get $11 each for all 3 1/2 seasons of BSG I own (mainly because I'm a sucker and bought them on release dates for almost full price)

I am nervous about S4.0 because I have the gift set from BB so there's a gap in the box where the dog tags and book were.

yeah, tv shows seem to be the only dvds that maintain some sort of value (aside from super OOP ones, like those first animated star wars clone wars volumes). i sold a bunch of hbo stuff and got more than i expected. however, i'm still saddled with tons of shit like the matrix that everyone owns in some form or another.

[quote name='chuckstaton']I work at Moviestop, and we do a great program where you trade in four DVDs worth at least $1.50 and get a free preorder on something coming out. And although the preorder is only for specific titles, it's always the biggest movies (Hangover and Inglourious Basterds are definitely on there).
It's good because it basically bumps them each up to $4. I know $4 isn't a lot, but if you're selling two DVDs that you think are already worth $4, and two that you know are worth less, then you're still getting that bump up to $16 for all four.
That's how I get rid of mine if I ever need to (I get rid of DVDs only when I rebuy them on blu ray or in a boxset) and it is almost always the smartest option.[/QUOTE]

I used to live near a MovieStop and this truly was an excellent deal. I don't know if they changed the deal since I went there, but you used to be able to get a brand new Blu Ray for less than $10 using this deal. I'm considering hanging on to whatever DVDs I don't want anymore just for the off chance that I'll be in state with a MovieStop again someday.

I usually trade in my movies at CD Exchange. You don't get that much for them, but it seems to be the only place around that actually gives you cash and doesn't dock you horribly for it. I just looked at both Amazon and SecondSpin from recommendations in this thread and both sites seem okay if you have a lot of DVDs in demand. Unfortunately the DVDs that I'm trying to get rid of that CD Exchange wouldn't take are only netting $.50 on those sites. No point in sending out a package to get a whopping couple of bucks in credit.

I completely understand wanting to get rid of DVDs. After watching Blu Ray, I just can't watching regular DVDs if I don't have to. Hell, I've rented a movie on Blu that I've already owned on DVD. I use my PS3 to play DVDs and while the image quality is better, it can't hold a candle to Blu on most titles. Yes, it's a waste of money but since I try to buy DVDs used and Blu's when they are on sale, I figure I'm saving more than the average consumer who pays $20 for a new DVD and $35 for a new Blu Ray. Sadly the market isn't looking for DVDs right now.

I think i could easily have enough dvd's i havent watched to go at least a year without buying another one. I havent bought one in two months and still have a minimum of 50. Many of mine are in the tv series form so indeed they do bring more money. There are a few box sets i could sell for major coinage if desired...

I have high def discs of both types (somewhere around 400 titles) but with cheap outlets for dvds like big lots, dollar tree, hudsons, and walmart... I still buy alot of titles Ive wanted to own, but wouldnt want to fork over 15-20 for on blu, if they ever arrive

Im happy with the look of dvds on my bedroom upconverting dvd player...

bread's done
Back