Best way to hook up my "new" Genesis

Backlash

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I recently picked up a Genesis for $2 at a yard sale. I've never had one before, so I'm somewhat excited. Anyhow, it came with a power supply but no way to hook it up to the TV.

I think it's a model 1, as you say. On the bottom it says model 1601 and the top says something about high definition graphics.

I searched on CAG a little and it seems like I can use either RF or A/V Composite cables (red, yellow, white)? Can someone confirm this?

Also, the Sega cables seem to be going for about $8-$10 or more after shipping on eBay. Is there a generic alternative that's ok to use? Or a better place to get the Sega version?

I also need to find some games, as it didn't come with any...

thanks!

^I remember back in the day I would use my NES with my Genesis model 1 adapter and RF switch! Cables aren't that cheap and generics aren't easily found both of course on ebay is your best bet. It is odd how the nintendo official RF switch that is used with the Super Nintendo/Gamecube (just remove the RF modulator or that black plug looking thing) is the cheapest route that I know of. Try finding power that matches the voltage setting or else you will get an anoying buzzing sound while playing. Radioshack is the best in my IMO if you want a generic power, type in sega or 9V at their site. Hope this helps!

Thanks guys. I just need the RF or A/V cables - I have the power source. So you all are saying the NES/generic RF cable can plug into the Genesis?

It should work, but don't hold it against me if it doesn't because there is always that chance it may or may not work 100%. I've had no problem switching between NES and model 1 GEN. RF switch in my past experiences.

Also, run a search through Google regarding the Genesis and A/V cables. I remember stumbling upon a few sites last year when I was getting my own cable locally (lucked out at $3 for one) that showed you how to modify cheap, generic A/V cables from a dollar store so they would work with a Genesis. The process was surprisingly cheap and easy but I think they only had instructions for how to do so with a Model 2 Genesis.

[quote name='Kapwanil']Also, run a search through Google regarding the Genesis and A/V cables. I remember stumbling upon a few sites last year when I was getting my own cable locally (lucked out at $3 for one) that showed you how to modify cheap, generic A/V cables from a dollar store so they would work with a Genesis. The process was surprisingly cheap and easy but I think they only had instructions for how to do so with a Model 2 Genesis.[/QUOTE]
Make sure you get the right connector for the Genesis end. The Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 have totally different connectors.
Here's a site that has pinouts for both versions: Genesis AV.

[quote name='okto']Make sure you get the right connector for the Genesis end. The Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 have totally different connectors.
Here's a site that has pinouts for both versions: Genesis AV.[/quote]

Yeah, that is the boat I am in with my model 2 Genesis.

I finally got some games and hooked up my model 1 Gen using an extra NES R/F Adapter I had. The picture works fine, but the sound is messed up. I'm guessing it's probably due to my yard sale Genesis, but has anyone else experience this?

[quote name='Snake2715']I have gauntlet IV if you want complete.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='rywateska']If you need games, click the "CML" below my avatar. I have quite a few to sell, thanks![/QUOTE]

This thread doesn't ask for games. Stop Thread spamming.

bread's done
Back