Best/Worst Hockey Games

ViolentLee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
81 (100%)
I'm putting together a list of the best and worst hockey games. Can I get opinions from you guys on either direction? Thanks!

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Best:
NHLPA 93 on Genesis
Blades of Steel NES
NHL Hitz 2003
NHL 2005 PS2

Worst:
Olympic Hockey N64

I like ESPN 2004, Wayne Gretsky's 3d hockey (basically a predecessor to the hitz series), and NHL '95 for sega genesis, oh and I've heard that mutant league hockey is good.

I had NHLPS 93 for the SNES, always thought it was as good as the Genesis version.

Blades of Steel.

I also liked Wayne Gretzky's 3D hockey -- I think it inspired Fox to put those colorful puck trails in their telecasts.

[quote name='zewone']NHLPA 93 for sure is the best hockey game ever. I use to play for hours. Hell I played it for about 2 hours last night. Also the Mutant League hockey game was also fun.[/quote]

couldnt have put it better myself.
mutant leauge football wasnt too great but hockey was amazing.
about once a year my friend and i have an nhlpa 93 best of 7 just for the hell of it...its fun, and we practice for it for weeks!

I'm down with the genesis hockey, for no other reason than they play it in both Swingers and Mallrats.

I also think Ice Hockey for NES was awesome. Where you chose between thin, medium and fat guys. Really awesome.

[quote name='Mustang O-Line 75']I reccomend Wayne gretzky's 3d hockey 98

Which was the predecessor to Olympic hockey[/quote]

Personally prefer original WG3DH over the 98 one, but it's basically the same...

NHL 94 for the Sega Genesis. Best game ever.

Alternatively, the Sega CD version is the same, but with actual organ music on the cd, and actual music.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, because I forget the name of the game, but it was for SNES and had mode 7 grphics. It was really fun but did make you sick sometimes.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I don't know if this has been mentioned, because I forget the name of the game, but it was for SNES and had mode 7 grphics. It was really fun but did make you sick sometimes.[/quote]

That was Stanley Cup Hockey from Nintendo I believe.

The Gretzky games were good - hell, I've still got the copy of the first Gretzky that I got from EB for $3 a few years back.

Personally, I've always liked my Genesis copy of NHL '95. It was my first hockey game, so there's some sentimentality there, but it still seems to play better than the other versions. Ico Hockey for the NES was a great game too. :)

[quote name='evilpenguin9000']I also think Ice Hockey for NES was awesome. Where you chose between thin, medium and fat guys. Really awesome.[/quote]

Agreed!

Easy to pick up and play. Very basic and lots of fun.

i totally have to agree with everyone that said nhlpa '93. so much so, that i feel it necessary to post this:

Picture013-vi.jpg

once, my friend's tim cheveldae scored a goal on my tim cheveldae. it ruled.

in addition, i'll have to say that ice hockey for the nes was good, i liked nhl open ice, and i actually liked nhl 2003. it's kind of a weird game that tries to balance sim and arcade, and i think it works pretty well. too bad it was a year before online play.

[quote name='thegamer4787']I like ESPN 2004, Wayne Gretsky's 3d hockey (basically a predecessor to the hitz series), and NHL '95 for sega genesis, oh and I've heard that mutant league hockey is good.[/quote]

That Wayne Gretsky 3D Hockey game owned. I am not a sports guy and I still logged several hundred hours playing that damn game.

[quote name='dafoomie']NHL 94 for the Sega Genesis. Best game ever.

Alternatively, the Sega CD version is the same, but with actual organ music on the cd, and actual music.[/quote]

Speaking of the Sega CD, ESPN National Hockey Night is one of the Worst hockey games ever!

NHL 93 on Sega, hands down the best hockey game I've played.

Honorable mentions
Blades of Steel
Hockey
NHL 98 (SNES)
NHL 99 (my first psx game)

I haven't really liked any recent games though.

Hat Trick at the arcade. One on one. I loved that game. It was right behind Ring King at the arcade I went to, and I used to switch between those two forever.

Hat Trick

What is that one SNES hockey game it was all cartoony, and people would throw squids on the ice and stuff. I can't remember what is was called. If anyone could remember that would be great.

Don't forget about the Wayne Gretzky Hockey PC series, much differend from the WGH 3D series....
It was the most advanced sim of its time. It had a full on league simulator as well.
My friends and I logged a lot of hours on those games.
WayneGretzkyHockey2-t.jpg

NHL'93 on the genesis like many have said.
NHL 2000 ( or around that time ) on the PC was really great at the time too.

Hockey video games aren't really my thing, but I do own NHL Stanley Cup and NHLPA Hockey '93 on the SNES, and both are good in my book.

Oh, and there's Ice Hockey for the 2600. I played that on Activision Anthology for PS2 long enough to unlock the commercial (with Phil Hartman to boot!). It's only a 2 on 2 game, but pretty solid.

The only other hockey game I'd consider owning is Mutant League Hockey.

While I'd also put my vote behind NHL'94, I'm gonna have to go out on a limb and say the SNES version for one reason -- easily accessed goalie control.

Grabbing the goalie and thwarting your opponents 2-on-0 rush (while your defensemen were picking too deep) is something that every true hockey fan must experience at least once in their lives.

Hell, I basically majored in NHL'94 back in college. My friends all got onto the student council so that we could duck out of classes for "official" business, get the video projector for same business, grab an empty classroom and turn one of the walls into the "hockey rink à grandé" and while away the afternoon playing tournaments.

Oh the memories...

NHL '93 for the Genesis was easily the best 2D hockey. I played the hell out of this game. I didn't like '94 as well. And the SNES version of '94 was slower than the Genesis version.

NHL Hitz Pro is my favorite 3D version. I still haven't found a game to replace it yet. ESPN '05 and NHL 07 seem good, but not the same.

Face Off 98/99 was pretty good for the PSX.

The first ones I played were Activision's Ice Hockey for the Atari 2600 and Intellivision Hockey. The intellivision had an amusing flipping animation when you got checked.

Another good game was Open Ice 2 on 2. It was a newer version of Hit the Ice.

Count me as another one who enjoyed the simple fun of Ice Hockey (NES). It's right up there with Blades of Steel for best on the NES.

[quote name='Fanboy']While I'd also put my vote behind NHL'94, I'm gonna have to go out on a limb and say the SNES version for one reason -- easily accessed goalie control. [/quote]

I happen to agree. NHL 94 for SNES was slow as compared to the genesis one, but having that extra button to instantly turn into the goalie (instead of holding b or c on the genesis) was an awesome feature. I was always partial to NHL 95 on the Genesis, right after the Rangers won the Stanley Cup. I have never loved a new EA game after 95. NHL 2k for Dreamcast was awesome however.

[quote name='DigitalSpace']
The only other hockey game I'd consider owning is Mutant League Hockey.[/quote]
And I bought it. And it is good.

I also bought Blades of Steel. I didn't have an NES when I made my original post so I wasn't really thinking of it. Never played it back in the day - man, did I miss out or what? Better late than never, though!

I haven't played a hockey game since NHL Hockey '94/Mutant League Hockey. Would this "Hitz" series be worth looking into?

And I'll go ahead and add "Ice Hockey Challenge" to the list, the one made by Technos.

[quote name='el bobo']What is that one SNES hockey game it was all cartoony, and people would throw squids on the ice and stuff. I can't remember what is was called. If anyone could remember that would be great.[/quote]
Hit the Ice?

That game kicked ass and the arcade version was even better.

My Favorite Hockey Games:

NHL and NHLPA '93 (Genesis)
Ice Hockey
Hit the Ice (Arcade, SNES)
Blades of Steel

Honarable mention to NHL '94 on the SNES.

I remember drooling over Stanley Cup for SNES, but was so very disappointed when I finally played. I waited months and finally got it as a Christmas present. Iirc, it was nearly impossible to score.

I wanted to like the Gretzky games for N64, but never could get into them. Every thing seemed to move too fast or the controls just weren't there, I can't remember. But something was wrong for sure.

Best: NHL Hitz 20-03 (Xbox)
NHL Rock the Rink (PSX)
ESPN NHL Hockey (2004, Xbox)

[quote name='rscaramelo']I'm going to grab a hockey title for the DC. Is 2K the best or should I go with one of the newer ones like 2K2?

RC[/quote]

Only played 2k. Awesome game.

Is there any fun arcade hockey games for the Dreamcast? I'd rather play something like that rather than a more realistic version with an outdated roster.

[quote name='yukine']Is there any fun arcade hockey games for the Dreamcast? I'd rather play something like that rather than a more realistic version with an outdated roster.[/quote]

Unfortunately, no. Just pick up Hitz 20-03 on Xbox or PS2. Well worth the money (less than $10).

Best: NHLPA 1993 for the Genesis

EDIT: Hat Trick (arcade) was (and still is) excellent. This game is one of the most played on my Mame cab.

hattrick.png

[quote name='Rozz']It's more realistic, yet somewhat-arcady... meaning it basically appealed to no-one because you usually want either one or the other. 20-03 is far better.[/quote]
Alright, I'll pick it up. I haven't played a hockey game in forever, my dad will be pleasantly surprised when he visits, as we used to play the old Genesis hockey games against each other.

bread's done
Back