Best & Worst movie based games of this gen

Rodimus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
I've been looking for some good movie based games. I'm probably in the minority but I like a decent movie game. They're cheap, little commitment, beaten in a few days and occasionally they're good, in fact I think they're getting better. I like the satisfaction of beating a game and these are the cheapest quick fixes. And as long as we're talking about the best lets talk about which ones to stay away from.

Here's my list:

BEST
Wolverine: Origins - I think everyone's heard this is good but it needs to be said, it's better than good, it's damn good.

Captain America: Super Soilder - Surprisingly awesome game. Fighting takes a cue from Batman AA. If you havn't already give it a try. Easy 1000/1000 I'll even say it's on par with Wolverine.

Tron: Evolution - Worth it for the soundtrack alone, felt like I was playing a music video. I liked the recent movie so I really liked this.

Transformers RotF & DotM - In no way are these great games, but they're not bad. Transformer games have always been a guilty pleasure of mine. I enjoyed the second game more than the third, but both are more enjoyable than their movie counterparts.

Wanted - Again not a great game, it gets very repetative torwards the end, but the curving bullet kills were so satisfying.

WORST
Thor - I can at least playthrough a bad game but this was unplayable due to all the glitches. If I see it dirt cheap I might give it another shot.

Harry Potter: Deathly Hollows part 1 - Never played a HP game before but I heard a few people say they liked this one so I thought, "what the hell, I'll give it a shot." Bad choice, it's like Harry Potter meets Gears of War in a bad way.

Spider-Man 3 - I love Spidey games, even the mediocre ones (Hell, I even enjoyed Friends or Foe), but this was beyond bad. It was bland, boring, glitchy and such a disappointment.

Personally, with the exception of Wolverine, I thought ALL of the games you mentioned were mediocre-to-blegh.

I noticed you just mentioned current gen stuff, is that the area of discussion that we are sticking to? Are we talking games that are made to coincide with the release of a movie or does franchise-related stuff like Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, or Alien vs. Predator count? Assuming "yes" to the former and "no" to the latter, I gotta admit I'm having a hard time thinking of much of anything I truly enjoyed. Wolverine, Cars 2 was pretty good. OOH! Scott Pilgrim! That was a fantastic movie tie-in IMO. I'm sure there's some good stuff I'm just not thinking about at the moment, but for the most part nearly every movie game I've played has been meh.

Quantum of Solice and Star Wars: Force Unleashed 1 are both pretty decent games. As the above poster said, Scott Pilgrim on XBLA/PSN is phenomenal, just no online play limits it.

Scott Pilgrim, yes. For some reason I always forget about that one when thinking of movie tie-in games, even tho it did it absolutely perfectly.

I also really enjoyed Toy Story 3 - it was worth it for the Toy Box mode alone.

Also, the first Transformers game (the better of the two from what I hear, I haven't played the second one) isn't a movie tie-in.

Should've been more specific but I was talking about games tied directly to a movie.

I was thinking about posting Scott Pilgrim, but I always considered it more of a comic tie-in, and there's no reference to the movie at all in game. But it came out around the movie's launch so you wont get any debate from me. Regardless the game is amazing, played it a few nights ago in fact.

[quote name='argyle']Also, the first Transformers game (the better of the two from what I hear, I haven't played the second one) isn't a movie tie-in.[/QUOTE]

All the Transformer movies had a game tie-in. Are you thinking of War for Cybertron? In which case you'd be right, it's not.

they do make some pretty good movie spin off or in it's own type of universe type of games like the old republic or batman (although more based off comic books) but thats' not a direct movie game of course. :)

I remember Ghostbusters being pretty good even though it's been almost 3 years since I've played it. I have also played Tron, Wolverine, Captain America and Quantum of Solace. The one that surprised me the most was Tron. Very solid gameplay. I also enjoyed the others quite a bit. Quantum of Solace multiplayer was pretty fun too even though it was based on the COD 4 engine and was pretty cheap (Shotgun spammers)

Ghostbusters was a lot of fun for me. Wasn't sure if I should recommend it, though, because I'm a massive GB fan, and I thought my opinion of the game was probably heavily influenced by that.

this topic makes me wanna pickup a few games listed that I missed, Captain America seems to be the one that keeps haunting me, I hear good things about it but never got to actually play it and plus the Batman type fighting is awesome sounding

The Good:
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
X-Men: Origins: Wolverine
Wanted
The Bourne Conspiracy
Ghostbusters
Goldeneye: Reloaded
Stranglehold (sequel to Hard Boiled)
TMNT

The mediocre:
King Kong

The Bad:
Lost: Via Domus
CSI - Hard Evidence

Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters was a surprisingly good God of War clone. Hadn't seen it mentioned yet, but it was really fun and an easy 1000/1000.

Tron: Evolution was the shit, I really really loved that game. I've kicked myself several times for trading it in last year without 1000 pointing it.

As many stated, Wolverine: Origins was great. Scott Pilgrim was based on the comics, not the movie.

Want to play a horrible movie game? Jumper.

Sounds like the OP is mostly referring to comicbook-based-movie game tie-ins, with the exception of Tron and Harry Potter, even though he did not specifically state that in the title. I take this from reading his initial recommendations. The thread title is slightly misleading. Recently played and enjoyed Captain America.

[quote name='Corvin']The Good:
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
X-Men: Origins: Wolverine
Wanted
The Bourne Conspiracy
Ghostbusters
Goldeneye: Reloaded
Stranglehold (sequel to Hard Boiled)
TMNT

The mediocre:
King Kong

The Bad:
Lost: Via Domus
CSI - Hard Evidence[/QUOTE]

I've played a bunch of those games and can easily say Wanted and TMNT are easy, not good (big difference). Also, King Kong, Lost and all the CSI games are just as easy, so I'd place them all on the same level playing field.

I really enjoy superhero-based games (movie and comic based), having completed Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1,2, Iron Man, Fantastic 4, Xmen 3, Xmen Arcade and Captain America (with Iron Man 2, Thor, Batman: Arkham City and a TON of Spider Man games in the backlog). Slightly enjoyed Batman: Arkham Asylum, but riddles were tedious and battle/arcade mode ruined it for me). I enjoyed them all to different degrees (and have Captain America available to trade, btw). I do look forward to playing Wolverine, but I hear it's a bit of a grind...

[quote name='Rodimus']All the Transformer movies had a game tie-in. Are you thinking of War for Cybertron? In which case you'd be right, it's not.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you're correct - I think I've just blocked those other Transformer games from my memory. ;)

I'm not sure where the split is on Scott Pilgrim being based on comic vs movie is. It came out with the movie, I picked it up after seeing the movie and it followed the plot of the movie. If that's also the plot of the comic (which I haven't read), then apparently the movie did a great job translating that story to the big screen. :)

No mention of the Warriors? That game was tremendous. Outside of maybe both Willow games and the SNES Star Wars games that might be the best movie-based video game of all time.

[quote name='matrix9280']No mention of the Warriors? That game was tremendous. Outside of maybe both Willow games and the SNES Star Wars games that might be the best movie-based video game of all time.[/QUOTE]

That was only for last gen, right? But yes, it was great.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']That was only for last gen, right? But yes, it was great.[/QUOTE]

It was released for the Xbox and PS2 in 2005 however it was also released for the PSP in 2007 so I think that it counts for this generation.

The Revenge of the Fallen game was okay. The Dark of the Moon game was awful.

The Harry Potter OotP and HBP games were both pretty decent if you just wanted to wander around and explore Hogwarts. The HBP game especially had a lot of fun stuff.

[quote name='Rodimus']Captain America: Super Soilder - Surprisingly awesome game. Fighting takes a cue from Batman AA. If you havn't already give it a try. Easy 1000/1000 I'll even say it's on par with Wolverine.[/QUOTE]

OP Just want to say thanks for creating this thread.

Cap America: Supersoldier looks awesome, I just ordered it and if it's half-as-fun as Batman AA then I'll be happy, Batman AA is one of my all time favorites.

When I finally read the IGN review I thought it was pretty unfair, he was bitching about historical inaccuracies in a superhero game, and then he turned around and bitched about bland environments. When are they going to learn, it's all about the gameplay.

[quote name='camoor']OP Just want to say thanks for creating this thread.

Cap America: Supersoldier looks awesome, I just ordered it and if it's half-as-fun as Batman AA then I'll be happy, Batman AA is one of my all time favorites.

When I finally read the IGN review I thought it was pretty unfair, he was bitching about historical inaccuracies in a superhero game, and then he turned around and bitched about bland environments. When are they going to learn, it's all about the gameplay.[/QUOTE]

No prob, it really is a lot of fun and hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Like Batman combat is fluid and never gets boring. Using his shield is simple and works well into combat. But like you mentioned environments are on the bland side but the graphics get the job done. The textures on Caps costumes look good.

Agree with the top two easily being Wolverine & Captain America. Both were better than many non-movie-based games, and that's saying something.

Three more new ones to add to the good list:

G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra - fun little co-op game. Would've been a stellar XBLA release.
Toy Story 3 - Quite Possibly the best kids' game made for this generation.
(Pixar's) Up - Since I loved the movie so much, it was pure joy playing the game.

addition for worst games: Ratatouille. Such an awful game for such a good movie. I couldn't even finish the demo.

[quote name='dothog']I had no idea that someone made a LOST game. Woo boy.[/QUOTE]

You can watch the entire game on YouTube. That's how short it is.

[quote name='cancermatt']
I've played a bunch of those games and can easily say Wanted and TMNT are easy, not good (big difference).[/QUOTE]

Difficulty ≠ Fun Factor

[quote name='Rodimus']No prob, it really is a lot of fun and hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Like Batman combat is fluid and never gets boring. Using his shield is simple and works well into combat. But like you mentioned environments are on the bland side but the graphics get the job done. The textures on Caps costumes look good.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm going to get Wolverine too after I'm done with Captain America Supersoldier.

It's too bad they fucked up the Iron Man games. I know he's not the easiest superhero to convert to a game but if they could make decent spiderman games on the PS2 then Ironman should have been very possible. The IP is so popular that a dumbed-down ZOE2 would have made the critics happy.

The only movie-based game I enjoyed was Wolverine. It was everything the movie should have been, but they screwed the pooch with that one. I still haven't played Cap yet, but I'm hearing good things so I may give it a try.

I actually found James Cameron's: Avatar to be pretty fun. It's actually the only movie-tie-in game that I own. I enjoyed exploring Pandora and the gameplay wasn't really glitchy or bad by any means... it's an average game that had decent multiplayer.

Stated twice I think. Toy Story 3 is great. Not just for kids. It genuinely is a blast to play.
The Adventures of Tintin was relatively simple but my kids really liked it.
Kung Fu Panda was pretty well done also. Combine it with the Lego Indiana Jones bundle and you have a definite winner.
Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs was a pretty good kids multi-player game also.

Yes I get to see a lot of kids games.

Looking at my achievements/trophies, I've only played two movie tie-in games (Scott Pilgrim and The Simpsons Game). Both were good, though they weren't really the prototypical movie tie-in game.

I've played plenty of normal licensed games like Batman AA, Lego Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters, and others that I enjoyed since they could do something different with the license.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Well, guess I'll be the one to bring up Superman Returns. Loved to fly around in the game. And..........that's about it.[/QUOTE]

HAHA, that pretty much sums up that game. Flying is great. They got that perfect. The rest of game...nope...

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The Walking Dead[/QUOTE]

So the game follows the story from the TV show?

I just played the demo of this last night and I liked it. Loved what Telltale did with Back to the Future. Very anxious to see what they do with Fables (comic)

[quote name='Rodimus']So the game follows the story from the TV show?

I just played the demo of this last night and I liked it. Loved what Telltale did with Back to the Future. Very anxious to see what they do with Fables (comic)[/QUOTE]
It's more based on the comic, but you'll see at least one character from the show since it's a prequel set during the first episode while Rick is knocked out.

[quote name='AugustAPC']I actually found James Cameron's: Avatar to be pretty fun. It's actually the only movie-tie-in game that I own. I enjoyed exploring Pandora and the gameplay wasn't really glitchy or bad by any means... it's an average game that had decent multiplayer.[/QUOTE]
Agreed, except I haven't tried multiplayer. I picked up the PC version at Target for

bread's done
Back