Bestbuy.com / Dealtree EZtrade-in programs (trade games for BB gift cards or PayPal)

nakanenui

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
So I happened to find a list of their games that they are giving some good money on, I guess to compete with Gamestop. Here is a copy of the list. I dont know if you have to trade in more than 1 game to get the deal, but thought others would be able to chime in with their experience. Of note is the hot shots golf trade in for PS3 (if you were able to get it from the sears clearance).

link
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Video-Games-Gadgets/null/pcmcat203500050000.c?id=pcmcat203500050000

Added by Io: Note that you can also trade games in using this site:
http://ebay.eztradein.com/ebay/
which is handled by the same processor (Dealtree) used for the Best Buy program. In this case, though, you can get PayPal payments instead of Best Buy gift cards. The trade-in values and processing methods seem to be exactly the same.

-----
I tried looking for the $20 and $30 trade in value games but came up empty, if you want to provide the link so I can add it here, let me know via PM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED: since it keeps getting asked

1. Can I take them to a physical store?
Games need to be mailed in. If you try to do an instore trade from the website it will redirect you to mailing it in.

2. How many days do I have to mail it in?
30 days from initiating the trade. Mail it in ASAP as the processing time until you get your money differs and could be a wait.

3. Are trade in quotes locked in or do they get valued at time of processing?
Get your games in fast enough and you will not have to worry about this. But the majority believe that you are locked in as long as it gets there before the 30 days are up.

4. Do games have to be complete?
Case, Manual, and working game are your only options. So yes, full credit if you have everything. But we are not too sure on how they determine scratches affecting playability (if they physically test the game during processing). Just clean all smudges and fingerprints prior to mailing, and if you have deep scratches it is up to you to chance them saying the game does not work.

5. What happens if they say the game is worth less than trade in quote?
You can either accept their valuation or PAY to have your game shipped back to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
IO, yeah their trade in value for games not on this list kinda blow, but if you happen to find cheap versions of stuff on the list, its a gold mine. I too would much rather have Amazon than Bestbuy credit, but BB does sometimes have nice sales, just reminisce to the B2G1 fiasco mid-late last year, now that would have been a good time to have some BB credit.

and this is why I hate working at BestBuy. From an employee perspective they are making it about 100 times more complex than it needs to be. Bah.

[quote name='spcheap']I may be SOL, because when I try to create an account, it says it cannot verify my address. Anybody else have this problem?[/QUOTE]

Same here. It doesn't want to accept my apartment number.

LOL! Bioshock 2 PS3 LE has a trade in value of $45.00; $5.00 less than I bought it for at Best Buy. The only qualifier question is whether or not it has artwork and a manual.

Now, that might be a score because I have an extra big box laying around...

I remember there was an Infamous trade-in thread. Is $20 a good deal? I mean I'd prefer not to trade it in to Best Buy in the first place, but...

[quote name='jscme']Same here. It doesn't want to accept my apartment number.[/QUOTE]

There is a customer service number at the top of the page (where you are asked to put your info in). I would call them and ask what the matter is

thats so gay it says for in-store trade ins you have to had bought it from best buy and have your recipt...:bomb: ugh that sucks looks like ill have to mail it to them

[quote name='Unrealevil']I remember there was an Infamous trade-in thread. Is $20 a good deal? I mean I'd prefer not to trade it in to Best Buy in the first place, but...[/QUOTE]

Infamous is now a GH for 29.99, which means it can be found for less than $20 if you try.

FYI, Dell uses the same trade-in service as Best Buy (DealTree Services), so the trade-in values should be the same if you'd prefer Dell credit rather than Best Buy credit. I spot checked a few titles, and all of the TIVs were the same.

Sometimes Dell has some decent coupon offers (or bundled gift card offers), especially on consoles.

Here is the link: http://dell.eztradein.com/Dell/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm

[quote name='hqn101']Traded in copies of Tekken that i got from Amazon lightning deal.[/QUOTE]

Did you trade it in-store or online?

I'll dump Madden 10 and Guitar Hero: Smash Hits for $50. Basically gets me a copy of Super Mario Galaxy 2 for two old games I'm not playing anymore!

i've had a gift card for 2 months and still havent used it. if my case weren't from hollywood i would trade in pacific rift though.

[quote name='fearthecub']FYI, Dell uses the same trade-in service as Best Buy (DealTree Services), so the trade-in values should be the same if you'd prefer Dell credit rather than Best Buy credit. I spot checked a few titles, and all of the TIVs were the same.

Sometimes Dell has some decent coupon offers (or bundled gift card offers), especially on consoles.

Here is the link: http://dell.eztradein.com/Dell/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up! I've been saving up for a new cell phone and this will definitely help.

[quote name='Trix']Did you trade it in-store or online?[/QUOTE]

they only accept game trade online according to website.

Can anyone who has traded games to BestBuy testify how picky they are with the conditions of the games? I have a few used games from GS that I'm considering dumping, but I need to make sure that those damn GS stickers won't hamper the TIV's. Thanks.

[quote name='halvorsb']I'll dump Madden 10 and Guitar Hero: Smash Hits for $50. Basically gets me a copy of Super Mario Galaxy 2 for two old games I'm not playing anymore![/QUOTE]
I'm going to do the same thing... I bought Smash Hits from Best Buy for $10 a while back, never got around to playing it and didn't really like Madden, I just can't get into football games anymore.

Best buy is pretty good with their trade in values, but you may want to check toys R Us or amazon first because their game values sometimes match.

Bestbuy is extremely slow at sending giftcards because it is done by a 3rd party company Dealtree.com

I sent in 1 game and it took 2-3 months to get my giftcard. It was partially my fault because I forgot to put the apartment number in my address :(

Although I sent the game, week later it was verified, a week after that they told me that they sent my giftcard and that is when I realized it was the wrong address. I emailed them multiple times and they said they would looking in to it and/or fixing it and than I had to wait another month before I finally got my giftcard.

The second time I traded something in it took about a close to month as well. It took them like 2 weeks to verify it and than a week for them to tell me they were sending the card.

Anyone with a code left over from the recycle bank/ea store fiasco could do really well now that the EA store has lowered the price of the saboteur to $19.99 and BB is offering $20 trade in.

[quote name='hqn101']they only accept game trade online according to website.[/QUOTE]

Ok, just had to figure out if some stores would accept non bestbuy games or not. I'll be sending them via mail than. So I'm quessing you have to wait a week or so to get the bestbuy credit? Do they give you any kind've email confirmation?

Has anyone tried trading in games at bestbuy store that wasn't purchased from them? I'm just trying to get some bestbuy credit quick to get some good deals in this week ad.

[quote name='Trix']
Has anyone tried trading in games at bestbuy store that wasn't purchased from them? I'm just trying to get some bestbuy credit quick to get some good deals in this week ad.[/QUOTE]

See my post above, you will be at least waiting a 3 weeks to a month.

[quote name='zerocool397']See my post above, you will be at least waiting a 3 weeks to a month.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's horrible.

Anyone interested in selling their Best Buy Giftcard? I have PayPal and I'll give you .80 cents for every dollar (negotiable).

Damn. I might as well get my $30 back for Assassin's Creed II from when it was on sale a few weeks ago. Free 3 week rental :)

Thanks to the Blockbuster sale, I've got a pile of low-value games I should play through now and trade in the newer ones for the big credit - or at least enough to get JC2 when the $5 off is live plus Red Dead pre-order. :D

I'm almost positive I saw that Destroy All Humans 360 game at one of the BBVs yesterday...but for how much? Even at 14.99 it's making me money.

I just beat AC2 the other day and I bought it for 30 from Bestbuy. I got a copy of Tekken 6 PS3 that I got from Amazon but I'm on the fence about getting rid of it since I haven't played it yet.

I just realized another flip would be Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood Xbox 360 is $10 Used at Family Video so that's a 10 buck profit.

[quote name='MrSloppyPants']Anyone with a code left over from the recycle bank/ea store fiasco could do really well now that the EA store has lowered the price of the saboteur to $19.99 and BB is offering $20 trade in.[/QUOTE]

Except that I think EA canned the $15 off $20 codes altogether, so even if you have a leftover one you're SOL.

One of the nicer flips I noticed is Little Big Planet. They're giving $30 for the vanilla version from this promo and the GOTY is now $30 cuz it's a Greatest Hits, though as I said before BB hasn't changed their price on it as of yet to match or it would be yanked from the $30 list for sure. So once BB catches up with the rest of retail in dropping the price, you could buy the updated version for what you got in trade on the old one.

So if some of you have a ton of GS credit, you could buy up copies from GS.com or in store and transfer some credit to BB.

With CAG16 + EDGE discount, you could get copies from Gamestop.com for about $16-17 apiece, flip to BB for $30 each.;) Just saying....

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Except that I think EA canned the $15 off $20 codes altogether, so even if you have a leftover one you're SOL.

One of the nicer flips I noticed is Little Big Planet. They're giving $30 for the vanilla version from this promo and the GOTY is now $30 cuz it's a Greatest Hits, though as I said before BB hasn't changed their price on it as of yet to match or it would be yanked from the $30 list for sure. So once BB catches up with the rest of retail in dropping the price, you could buy the updated version for what you got in trade on the old one.

So if some of you have a ton of GS credit, you could buy up copies from GS.com or in store and transfer some credit to BB.

With CAG16 + EDGE discount, you could get copies from Gamestop.com for about $16-17 apiece, flip to BB for $30 each.;) Just saying....[/QUOTE]

Looks like someone took your advice. No more LBP in stock online.

As a warning to all, when best buy tried this trade in program in the past they used a 3rd party to handle the trade in process. It was an absolute nightmare, took months to get your gift cards. I am not sure if they are using the same company but I will never use Best Buy for trade in again.

I noticed some decent deals on their site (as compared to Amazon):

Xbox360 - Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood $20.00 (Amazon $9)
Xbox360 - Borderlands $30.00 (Amazon $20)
Xbox360 - Left 4 Dead 2 $30.00 (Amazon $24)
Xbox360 - X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Uncaged Edition $20.00 (Amazon $4.75)

Kevin

[quote name='Interfeci']Looks like someone took your advice. No more LBP in stock online.[/QUOTE]

Its IATCG....he probably bought it all himself ;)

First rule of any deal site, make sure you get the deal before you post it.

Second rule of any deal site, dont bitch about it if you fail to follow rule #1.

[quote name='optimusprime8062']There is a customer service number at the top of the page (where you are asked to put your info in). I would call them and ask what the matter is[/QUOTE]

Think I figured out the problem. It doesn't want to accept apartment numbers of more than 4 digits. My apartment number is a 2 digit building number followed by a 2 digit apartment number. Had to use a work address so I didn't risk it going to the wrong apartment. Our mail has a habit of doing that anyway.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Except that I think EA canned the $15 off $20 codes altogether, so even if you have a leftover one you're SOL.

With CAG16 + EDGE discount, you could get copies from Gamestop.com for about $16-17 apiece, flip to BB for $30 each.;) Just saying....[/QUOTE]

It worked as of April 7th...I had two codes left because I couldn't ever get an order to go through...finally made a new account and the codes definitely still worked...got saboteur, dead space, orange box, and some other stuff for $26 shipped, 9 games worth.

[quote name='kevgret']I noticed some decent deals on their site (as compared to Amazon):

Xbox360 - Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood $20.00 (Amazon $9)
Xbox360 - Borderlands $30.00 (Amazon $20)
Xbox360 - Left 4 Dead 2 $30.00 (Amazon $24)
Xbox360 - X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Uncaged Edition $20.00 (Amazon $4.75)

Kevin[/QUOTE]

Xbox 360 - Destroy All Humans Path of the Furon 20.00 (Amazon 3.75)

[quote name='MrSloppyPants']It worked as of April 7th...I had two codes left because I couldn't ever get an order to go through...finally made a new account and the codes definitely still worked...got saboteur, dead space, orange box, and some other stuff for $26 shipped, 9 games worth.[/QUOTE]

How did you get it to work? I have 2 codes left and I can't get it to work. I made a new account but no luck.

[quote name='j0dy77']As a warning to all, when best buy tried this trade in program in the past they used a 3rd party to handle the trade in process. It was an absolute nightmare, took months to get your gift cards. I am not sure if they are using the same company but I will never use Best Buy for trade in again.[/QUOTE]

While I understand it being a pain waiting months for a gift card, what exactly made it a "nightmare" for you?

I did this last night actually. Ordered 2 copies of non goty LBP. After edge and cag16 it came to $37 after tax. I had $12 credit left, so used that. Paied $25 for 2 copies of LBP. Submitted a trade in to Best Buy along with 4 other games. Will be getting a $170 gift card. All games I've played and will probably no longer play in a long time. Net amount paid for these 6 games, $86. Will be getting $170...thank you Best Buy! I just hope it doesn't take too long to get the gift card.

[quote name='Interfeci']Looks like someone took your advice. No more LBP in stock online.[/QUOTE]

More power to them. I don't have any real GS credit left as of now and I'd rather make CASH on the stuff I got from the EA Store coupon double dip, so I'm off to the local shop in a bit to try and unload the 4-5 games I wanna get rid of from the 9 I got for $5-6 each.

It may not be $9 apiece for stuff like Dead Space and what not, but it's better than hoping some promo works to get me more at GS, especially since they don't work on cash trades.

I mentioned that ONE possible flip to Best Buy(LBP), but in the flipping group I'm in on CAG I detailed a whole list of stuff(including using one of the Wii games from Blockbuster that flips with the $25 off game promo @ GS to get Assassin's Creed 2 to flip to BB for $30).

Not sure noone13. Maybe the codes you have are used. I know the glitch where you could get multiple orders on one code is dead. I tried to process two orders using the same code with two different browsers. Worked all the way through to paypal payment then after I payed and got redirected to ea store the second order said it couldn't be processed. Both orders that went through went from submitted to processed last night.

[quote name='nakanenui']First rule of any deal site, make sure you get the deal before you post it.

Second rule of any deal site, dont bitch about it if you fail to follow rule #1.[/QUOTE]

You should re-think that quote.

First rule of deal site, we don't talk about deal site...And we all know what the second rule is.

bread's done
Back