BestBuy: Predator Ultimate Hunter Ed. Blu Ray -- $14.99

dfo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Bestbuy has the new Predator Blu Ray release on sale for $14.99.

This is a new transfer in response to all the bitching about the graininess of the 2008 release. Opinions differ as to the result: lots of reviewers (including blu-ray.com) say this is some of the worst DNR work available on blu ray and that removal of all grain seriously detracts from the viewing experience. A few others (including avpgalaxy.net) commend the increased clarity and color of the new transfer and say this movie has never looked better.

Unlike the 2008 blu ray, this release includes special features:
-- "Predator: Evolution of a Species--Hunters of Extreme Perfection" featurette [newly made for this release]
-- sneak peek at the new "Predators" movie
-- audio commentary with director McTiernan
-- text commentary with film historian Eric Llichtenfeld
-- 28-minute making-of feature, "If It Bleeds We Can Kill It" from 2001
-- Inside the Predator featurettes
-- Special Effects featurettes
-- Short takes with the filmmakers
-- Deleted scenes and outtakes
-- Photo gallery and Predator Profile

I have not seen the package, but rumor is this also comes with $10 in e-Movie Cash for the new Predators movie, so if you were planning on going to that you can check out the new transfer yourself for effectively $5.

[quote name='ackbar7']There is one reason that films are all filmed in that size, and that is purely financial. That is the shape that the screens are, so that is the shape the film was shot in. So yes, I do believe that (aesthetically) Speilberg filmed Jaws in 2:35:1 for no reason.[/QUOTE]

You are wrong on all fronts. :)

Not all films (even back then) were filmed in 2:35:1 aspect ratio, it has nothing to do with the screens and Spielberg specifically chose 2:35:1 for Jaws to convey the vast openness of the ocean. Cropping his movie down to 1:78:1 or 4:3 ruins that effect.

Actually I think we are probably both a little right, and a little wrong. Back in the early days of film movies were sometimes circular, rectangular or whatever, there was not standard at all. Film makers could shoot whatever they wanted because it was just going to projected onto a wall. Once theaters opened there was a fairly standard shape that movies were filmed in, and Jaws (while maybe some thought was put into it) was still fit into that standard.
What makes this argument extra silly is that I actually agree with you and your tastes, but no one should be ridiculed because they disagree with someone's opinion on picture quality.

[quote name='xblaze23']it looks like Arnold is made out of wax and the whole movie was covered in vaseline[/QUOTE]
Sounds kinky.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Yeah Im debating on getting it and getting my $2 back lol[/QUOTE]
I'm mostly doing it because I wanted to use up Amazon credit I had over a CC.

[quote name='postulio']keep in mind the people over at avpgalaxy.com aren't videophiles (which means don't take their word for scripture).

keep in mind the people over at blu-ray.com are videophiles (which means don't take their word for scripture).

its all preference, some like grain (me), others don't (my dad). I kinda wish i wasn't missing out on the new extras. if this ever drops to below 10$ i may bite.[/QUOTE]
Preference has nothing to do with facts, fact is the transfer is bad, it's not good.. it does look better then the dvd but it isn't a great, good or even semi good transfer, it's on part with dog soldiers which isn't a good thing

[quote name='xblaze23']it looks like Arnold is made out of wax and the whole movie was covered in vaseline[/QUOTE]

Bull$%#&. Arnold and Carl look waxy ( Carl especially) in the first 3 mins of the movie then the rest of the movie looks better than it ever has.

Has anyone bothered contacting John McTiernan or someone from his camp to his opinion on this transfer?
That would be an easy way to stop everyone's bickering, and leave more room for deals.

i picked up the predator collection for $29.99, since i could not find the ulitmate ed.
its a pretty nice box set the artwork on the box is really nice.

bread's done
Back