Bestbuy: Sunday. Xbox 360 4gb Kinect + Game + 2yrs of Live $99.99

DaBadGuyCR

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
A friend of mine told me he was at Bestbuy looking for a new Xbox 360. The sales associate told him to wait for Sunday because he got a invoice saying they will be putting the 4gb Kinect Bundle with a game and two years of XBL on sale for $99.99.

The guy told him that Microsoft ware house in Texas need to be cleared out and Microsoft will be repaying bestbuy for the money they lose.

I think the sales associate may be wrong or misread the invoice and it's really for the Xbox 360 Service plan not a xbox 360 4gb kinect with two free years of live.
Im not sure how true any of this is but I know my friend wouldn't lie about this.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Sony already offers a plan where you buy the 3g the model for $300 and can pay $15a month for 3g service, so no the $100 up front and $15 a month would actually save you $200. The 360 deal saves you nothing.[/QUOTE]

that wasnt really the point. the point was the pay a monthly fee rather than 300 for the console up front. i thought the 3g on the vita was free but i dont know i guess im wrong? not unheard of the kindles 3g is free so...figured it was the same

I wonder if I can get this at Aarons or Rent-A-Center and pay for it each week like I do for my couch....maybe Hulk Hogan or Troy Aikman will deliver it...

I thought I would lighten this thread up a bit.

[quote name='ijustw1n']There's no value, zero value. There is no point in paying payments for something as frivolous as a damn game system. As cheap ass gamers I assume we'd all know that.[/QUOTE]

I take it you have never had kids. Something as frivolous as a damn gaming system? Not sure what cave you have been living in the last 5-7 years but gaming has NEVER been more popular and I am sure there are plenty of people out there who do not view gaming systems as frivolous. Not to mention the fact that gaming systems now do a hell of a lot more than just gaming. I certainly don't find gaming systems frivolous. In fact, considering gaming is one of my primary forms of entertainment....well, I don't consider my gaming systems anywhere close to being frivolous. I will leave it at that. Would I survive without them, absolutely. That doesn't mean they are frivolous. If you really feel that gaming is frivolous then why not sell all of your gaming gear and just be done with gaming altogether? Or is it your thing to condemn activities only to turn around and partake in them yourself? Now that is frivolous.

People can bitch and moan about this deal till the cows come home. The bottom line is that options are NEVER a bad thing and regardless of what some people may think, there are a lot of people out there hurting financially. The average credit card debt in this country is 16,000 and a significant portion of that debt was incurred by purchases that didn't need to be made. Things like clothing, movies, traveling, crap for their home or car, etc... So its ok to use your credit card for those kinds of purchases but its not ok to take part in a payment plan like this for a gaming system. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

If buying an Xbox 360 in this manner is easier for some people then there is no reason why they shouldn't do it. Again, people do it for everything else they buy. Why not for gaming systems. And make no mistake about it, this deal is no different than buying something you cant afford on your credit card and paying it off over an extended period of time. In both instances your stretching out the payment of a particular item and hence paying more over the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me and my buddy went Sunday. The guy told us that when he told him about the $99.99 deal they didn't have all the info in. He tried to work his way around to get us the Xbox 360 for $99.99 but it was a no go. The manager even told us if they find away around this they will give us the Xbox 360 for that price since he told us it was for $99.99. We are awaiting a call that we won't ever get. They screwed up and they wouldn't give us what the day before they would.

[quote name='kayne2000']that wasnt really the point. the point was the pay a monthly fee rather than 300 for the console up front. i thought the 3g on the vita was free but i dont know i guess im wrong? not unheard of the kindles 3g is free so...figured it was the same[/QUOTE]

wifi free. 3g you have to go through a plan through AT&T. Quite pointless if you already have a 3g phone.

If you buy the wifi one, Enuf, what would the $15 a month be used for?

[quote name='DaBadGuyCR']Me and my buddy went Sunday. The guy told us that when he told him about the $99.99 deal they didn't have all the info in. He tried to work his way around to get us the Xbox 360 for $99.99 but it was a no go. The manager even told us if they find away around this they will give us the Xbox 360 for that price since he told us it was for $99.99. We are awaiting a call that we won't ever get. They screwed up and they wouldn't give us what the day before they would.[/QUOTE]

I can't believe you actually tried to hold some uninformed clown to that ridiculous "deal". You aren't "entitled" to anything more than the person walking in to buy the system under the required 2 year contract. It's one thing to hold a store to an advertised price for a product, something else entirely to try to hold a store to some kid's poorly understood version of a deal. I can't believe you actually tried to force them to honor that crap, seriously.

[quote name='kayne2000']that wasnt really the point. the point was the pay a monthly fee rather than 300 for the console up front. i thought the 3g on the vita was free but i dont know i guess im wrong? not unheard of the kindles 3g is free so...figured it was the same[/QUOTE]exactly if they sold 2-3 million more vita based on this type of promo to Sony they're obviously gonna get more game/accessory sales as well. PSN stuff too. I'm not sure what the $ per console spent rate is on the vita's currently but that's surely what Sony would looking at.

And yes, you gotta pay for the 3G service

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']wifi free. 3g you have to go through a plan through AT&T. Quite pointless if you already have a 3g phone.

If you buy the wifi one, Enuf, what would the $15 a month be used for?[/QUOTE]Are there any true unlimited 3G services on the market still?

The $15/month would be paying off the additional $150 that the vita cost. $100 upfront & a easily managable monthly payment for just 1 yr. It's totals $30 more than the total cost if bought outright but Sony could easily just add a PS+ bonus, larger memory card or game to get the skeptics to bite if needed.

^^^
But there would be a large market for this type of deal & too Sony the larger core base means people with them are spending on games/accessories for it too...more money.

[quote name='dirtyvu']you don't pay "way more in the long run."

you pay $460 over the course of 2 years versus a potential $420 upfront ($300 + $120 for 2 years of Xbox Live Gold). but let's say you get Gold for $35/year. that's $370 upfront. that's $90 spread out over the course of 2 years to get it in your hands for $115 right now. that means it's costing your $3.75/month extra in order to get it in your hands for a much lower upfront cost.

Quite a lot of people can handle $115 now versus paying $370 upfront. So for less than a cup of Starbucks coffee a month, you got a much easier entry fee.

It's not a deal for me as I'm done with this gen's hardware. But if we're talking deals, let's talk the numbers and not get emotional about it.[/QUOTE]

This. Not really sure while people are complaining. Definitely helpful for parents who can't afford to get their kids a $400 gaming console.

[quote name='Nealocus123']This. Not really sure while people are complaining. Definitely helpful for parents who can't afford to get their kids a $400 gaming console.[/QUOTE]

Only problem is that the 4gb 360 is virtually useless; with all the DLC, patches, and downloadable games, you really need at 250gb or 320gb console. Kinect is mostly a cheap gimmick (much worse than the PS3's Move hardware), with very limited games, so whoever falls for this bundle will probably end up spending $100 more for an actual hard drive later. Not a good deal at all, IMO.

So, in the end they want you to pay 15x24=$360 (lol) +99 up front? So they want me to pay $460 for a six year old console with barely any storage space? This is great marketing.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Only problem is that the 4gb 360 is virtually useless; with all the DLC, patches, and downloadable games, you really need at 250gb or 320gb console. Kinect is mostly a cheap gimmick (much worse than the PS3's Move hardware), with very limited games, so whoever falls for this bundle will probably end up spending $100 more for an actual hard drive later. Not a good deal at all, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Did it really take SIX pages for someone to point this out, or did I just miss it in previous posts? The 4GB 360 is COMPLETELY WORTHLESS, you can't even install any bloody games on it! Hell, the system update for Battlefield Bad Company 2 was 1.3GB ALONE!

[quote name='chimpmeister']Only problem is that the 4gb 360 is virtually useless; with all the DLC, patches, and downloadable games, you really need at 250gb or 320gb console. Kinect is mostly a cheap gimmick (much worse than the PS3's Move hardware), with very limited games, so whoever falls for this bundle will probably end up spending $100 more for an actual hard drive later. Not a good deal at all, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Move blows compared to Kinect.i take it you mainly play shooters though.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Move blows compared to Kinect.i take it you mainly play shooters though.[/QUOTE]

They both suck. I wouldn't say one blows over the other.

Kinect seems far superior for dance and fitness games. But what else?

Move is great for Tiger Woods (and actually I got the TW 13 bundle when there was a deal on it). Golf and Tennis and the sports mini games collections really are the areas where the Wii-Mote and Move are absolutely perfect. It does work with lots of shooters as a "patched in" add-on, in some cases really well, in others not so much. But hey at least that's something the Kinect can't even do properly at all.

In the end though, both are pretty much a joke as far as real compelling game-play goes.

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']Did it really take SIX pages for someone to point this out, or did I just miss it in previous posts? The 4GB 360 is COMPLETELY WORTHLESS, you can't even install any bloody games on it! Hell, the system update for Battlefield Bad Company 2 was 1.3GB ALONE![/QUOTE]

ok ive never heard of an xbox patch that was 1.3 GB ever. proof please? or are you think of the ps3 version?? also games dont need to be installed to play.

a cheap flash drive of 8 GB can solve that and that isnt the point. the point is this person cant afford all of this upfront so 4 GB is plenty for the meantime. and if said hypothetical mom is buying this for kids plenty of kids will love to dance around like crazy which is what the kinect is great for.

a 4GB kinect model xbox can do plenty of gaming just fine. if mom wants to sucker her kids into exercising a 4GB 99 dollar kinect xbox is perfect for that.

The service agreement is not with Best Buy it's with Microsoft and you get 2 years protection plan with Microsoft! It's like a cell phone contract if you break it you get charged a steep fee and must have a credit card.

The service agreement is not with Best Buy it's with Microsoft and you get 2 years protection plan with Microsoft! It's like a cell phone contract if you break it you get charged a steep fee and must have a credit card.

Terrible price. There is no need to pay full price for live. It is better to wait for the holidays at this point, but some people can't stand a few bucks burning a hole in their pocket so... this is for them.

[quote name='ijustw1n']This isn't really a deal. As posted earlier, much earlier, you pay way more in the long run.[/QUOTE]

It's like taking a loan and paying interest.

I can't understand these responses. This isn't a deal by any stretch of the imagination. Now if you could get this and somehow weasel out of the 2-year contract, then it would be a deal.

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']Did it really take SIX pages for someone to point this out, or did I just miss it in previous posts? The 4GB 360 is COMPLETELY WORTHLESS, you can't even install any bloody games on it! Hell, the system update for Battlefield Bad Company 2 was 1.3GB ALONE![/QUOTE]

then pick up a HD. I picked up a 250GB HD from Gamestop for $25 on sale. You just remove the casing and plug it into the new 360 S. Or if you want a more professional look, get a $5 case so that it can't move around in the new 360 S hard drive bay.

[quote name='ijustw1n']This isn't really a deal. As posted earlier, much earlier, you pay way more in the long run.[/QUOTE]

WAY MORE!!! with say 6% tax figured in you pay a total of $449.71 over the two years for the deal while paying upfront over the two years would be $436.92. This doesn't include interest built up if you pay for the xbox on a credit card and make minimum payments.
So $12.79 split up over 23 months is way more to you? One months credit card interest on the xbox alone can sometimes amount to 3x's that amount.

So be careful when people say this is a bad deal, the deal is very good, if you plan on buying an xbox on credit to begin with, especially for people (whom i figure is their target) are new to the work force and want to start playing now instead of saving up and can make the payments along the way instead of amassing finance charges on a credit card.

This deal is bad for anyone who actively uses this website. People who will wait two months to buy a game they want to save $10 are not so short-sighted as to think this deal is good for them. People who aren't as careful with planning their money will probably find great use in this deal. It's how those rent-to-own places stay in business. Hardcore CAGers wouldn't give this "deal" the time of day.

This payment plan isn't for hardcore CAGers, though. :p

This "deal" is crap because you end of paying a buttload more $$ in the long-run and are locked-in for 2 years with a big early termination fee. Also, this bundle does NOT include a hard drive, which is essential for the full Xbox Live experience. The 250GB slim HDD will cost you around $100 to buy separately. Your best bet is to buy the 250GB Holiday bundle from Newegg for $250 ($50 off). The kinect is crap anyway so I wouldn't give a rat's ass about it. Here's the link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5&cm_sp=Cat_Xbox_360-_-Hot_Deals-_-68-105-055

[quote name='bstein14']RENT A CENTER used to rent PS3's for $29.99 a week and if you made 52 payments in a row on time you'd get to keep the PS3 for FREE... LOL (That would total $1560)

The reason a company like that is in business to to pray on the weak, stupid, poor, and those with a lack of good credit.

This offer from microsoft does much of the same... although to a much lesser degree than Rent A Center.[/QUOTE]

The saddest part in all of this i that the people who are buying at those prices are the ones that can afford it the least.

[quote name='swanz88']This "deal" is crap because you end of paying a buttload more $$ in the long-run and are locked-in for 2 years with a big early termination fee. Also, this bundle does NOT include a hard drive, which is essential for the full Xbox Live experience. The 250GB slim HDD will cost you around $100 to buy separately. Your best bet is to buy the 250GB Holiday bundle from Newegg for $250 ($50 off). The kinect is crap anyway so I wouldn't give a rat's ass about it. Here's the link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5&cm_sp=Cat_Xbox_360-_-Hot_Deals-_-68-105-055[/QUOTE]

when you break down the numbers, this deal is not crap. clearly, you haven't looked into the details or thought it out.

as for the hard drive, I got a used 250 GB HD from Gamestop for $25. pop it into a 360 S and you're good to go. or pick up a $5 case for the HD and then pop it in.

if you're not into a kinect, then it's a bad deal. but numbers wise, it's not a bad deal.

On Gamestop's website, they charge $45 for a used 120GB HDD from an old fat xbox. So if you were to swap-out the HDD enclosure to a slim compatible one for $5, we're up to $50. Now the Xbox 4GB + kinect bundle retails for $300. 2 years of XBL gold at the discounted rate of $40/yr is $80 total. So the numbers for this "deal" work out to $100 upfront, then $15/month for 24 months. That works out to $360 for Live. So to compare: $300 for the bundle + $80 for 2 years of Live is $380. This promo works out to $100 + $360 for Live is $460. So this is not a deal. Microsoft is essentially charging you $80 in interest for the convenience of a low upfront cost and manageable monthly payments.

Not to mention (though I have in this thread before ;)) that in the "up front" calculation there is no need to buy the full 2 years of Xbox Live on day 1. So really the only up front cost (for the "pay in full" option) is the $300 for the console. Don't you get 1 month of Gold for free anyway? I dunno - you did way back when I first got a 360. Even if you don't you can either just buy 1 year, or even a 3-month to get started, then buy the additional years when they are on sale, later (thus deferring at least part of the payment). Or you could even just wait a bit - it isn't necessary to jump right into online play on day 1 if you are on a buget. So even the "up front, out of pocket" version doesn't need to be the full $380.

But I know to some people that $300 is a big barrier and $100 would be much better. And I suppose this deal is for them, even though they lose over the long run. I'll never forget when I lived in Arizona my wife worked with a woman who couldn't take a summer vacation because they didn't have the gas money to drive to Texas. Everything else was essentially paid for in that they were simply visiting family. But they couldn't scrape together a couple of tanks of gas to drive there to see them. And this was in the mid-90's when gas had hit 99 cents for a bit. So, yeah, if you are in that sort of situation, then, well, go for it I guess - though as others have said, maybe being locked into a long-term contract over a gaming system shouldn't be the highest priority in that case.

[quote name='dirtyvu']when you break down the numbers, this deal is not crap. clearly, you haven't looked into the details or thought it out.

as for the hard drive, I got a used 250 GB HD from Gamestop for $25. pop it into a 360 S and you're good to go. or pick up a $5 case for the HD and then pop it in.

if you're not into a kinect, then it's a bad deal. but numbers wise, it's not a bad deal.[/QUOTE]

A 250GB for $25? Unless you did trade-ins or know an employee, that's highly unlikely.

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']A 250GB for $25? Unless you did trade-ins or know an employee, that's highly unlikely.[/QUOTE]

They were on sale in January for used one. Though some people found some 250 GB in store if you were lucky enough. They were bought for about $30 or $35. I still remember buying my 120 gb from that sale. It shouldn't be a factor in how to calculate something since it was a one time thing.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313013

[quote name='bstein14']RENT A CENTER used to rent PS3's for $29.99 a week and if you made 52 payments in a row on time you'd get to keep the PS3 for FREE... LOL (That would total $1560)

The reason a company like that is in business to to pray on the weak, stupid, poor, and those with a lack of good credit.

This offer from microsoft does much of the same... although to a much lesser degree than Rent A Center.[/QUOTE]

They didn't do this with Xbox 360's back then? Oh wait, if this was around 2007 - 2009, then the 360's most likely wouldn't work for 52 weeks straight. ;)

I don't know, when you break down the costs its not as bad as some people in here are making it out to be and there is certainly worse ways to waste money. Like Rent a Centers, leasing a car and buying HDMI cables from Best Buy.

bread's done
Back