Bestbuy: Sunday. Xbox 360 4gb Kinect + Game + 2yrs of Live $99.99

DaBadGuyCR

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
A friend of mine told me he was at Bestbuy looking for a new Xbox 360. The sales associate told him to wait for Sunday because he got a invoice saying they will be putting the 4gb Kinect Bundle with a game and two years of XBL on sale for $99.99.

The guy told him that Microsoft ware house in Texas need to be cleared out and Microsoft will be repaying bestbuy for the money they lose.

I think the sales associate may be wrong or misread the invoice and it's really for the Xbox 360 Service plan not a xbox 360 4gb kinect with two free years of live.
Im not sure how true any of this is but I know my friend wouldn't lie about this.

[quote name='Ramandur']Disagree on the investing part. If you are a broke gamer coming up with 300-400 bucks for a new system is a big deal. Certainly as a large investment you cant get crap these days but ask the people using this site to flip games what kind of rate of return they are getting on their capital. I do all of my gaming purchases on what i make from flips from deals here and craigslist. I have at any one time around 500 that I plug into games. On that I average about 10% return so around 50 bucks a month to spend on gaming. That is with practically no effort on my part. I would wager few of the heavy flippers to way way better than that on both total return and % return. I do have a job and I could spend more (although my wife would kick my ass if i did) but since everything is self sustaining it seems pretty good amount to work with. If my xbox died tommorow I would concider this deal since droping 300 bucks on a new xbox would kill my working capital unless I added new funds out of my household buget to it(and then there I am with my wife kicking my ass again). To me and my gaming fund this would be a no brainer if I was in the market right now. Its not a deal for everyone but for the right person in the right situation it could work out very well. Be imaginative.[/QUOTE]

Is this a smart move by Microsoft? Yes.
Does it save you money in the long run? No
Is this something you shouloffer to "Cheap Ass Gamers"? No, hence the word cheap
Will soccermoms and teens that don't look into the long run of the deal be suckered in? Yes
Is this really any different then a Cash Advance system? No.

I just saw an add for Rent-A-Center where you can add any game console to an HDTV rental for just $9 a week. That sounds great on the surface, too, but around 6 months of that and you are close to the cost of a new system. (Plus they didn't say how much the TV rental was - must be much higher).

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Is this a smart move by Microsoft? Yes.
Does it save you money in the long run? No
Is this something you shouloffer to "Cheap Ass Gamers"? No, hence the word cheap
Will soccermoms and teens that don't look into the long run of the deal be suckered in? Yes
Is this really any different then a Cash Advance system? No.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you ask alot of questions you seems to have the awnser for. What I am saying is that for many people this might not be a good deal. But, for some people in some situations it might be. To say it shouldn't be posted is stupid. Lets see that deal and we can make our own decisions. To each their own.

[quote name='Ramandur']Wow, you ask alot of questions you seems to have the awnser for. What I am saying is that for many people this might not be a good deal. But, for some people in some situations it might be. To say it shouldn't be posted is stupid. Lets see that deal and we can make our own decisions. To each their own.[/QUOTE]

exactly. You should have been prepared for this harsh reality.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']exactly. You should have been prepared for this harsh reality.[/QUOTE]

So we agree that this post should be here and we can each judge it by our own standards. It seemed in your last post that you felt like this shouldnt be here since it did not fit with your narrow view of what made a "cheap ass gamer"

[quote name='Ramandur']Disagree on the investing part. If you are a broke gamer coming up with 300-400 bucks for a new system is a big deal. Certainly as a large investment you cant get crap these days but ask the people using this site to flip games what kind of rate of return they are getting on their capital. I do all of my gaming purchases on what i make from flips from deals here and craigslist. I have at any one time around 500 that I plug into games. On that I average about 10% return so around 50 bucks a month to spend on gaming. That is with practically no effort on my part. I would wager few of the heavy flippers to way way better than that on both total return and % return. I do have a job and I could spend more (although my wife would kick my ass if i did) but since everything is self sustaining it seems pretty good amount to work with. If my xbox died tommorow I would concider this deal since droping 300 bucks on a new xbox would kill my working capital unless I added new funds out of my household buget to it(and then there I am with my wife kicking my ass again). To me and my gaming fund this would be a no brainer if I was in the market right now. Its not a deal for everyone but for the right person in the right situation it could work out very well. Be imaginative.[/QUOTE]

if you're a broke gamer and are forced to pay $15 for Live you probably aren't going to be using Live to its full advantage seeing as you are broke and all. I get the idea of saving money on a system. Its the fine print that rapes the purchaser here. Especially if it's a mother buying this for young children because it comes with the Kinect. They would have no use for the Live subscription whatsoever.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']if you're a broke gamer and are forced to pay $15 for Live you probably aren't going to be using Live to its full advantage seeing as you are broke and all. I get the idea of saving money on a system. Its the fine print that rapes the purchaser here. Especially if it's a mother buying this gmfor young children because it comes with the Kinect. They would have no use for the Live subscription whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

Real question then maybe, Who cares about the soccer moms? Someone has to pay the inflated prices for things to keep things cheap for everyone else.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']if you're a broke gamer and are forced to pay $15 for Live you probably aren't going to be using Live to its full advantage seeing as you are broke and all. I get the idea of saving money on a system. Its the fine print that rapes the purchaser here. Especially if it's a mother buying this for young children because it comes with the Kinect. They would have no use for the Live subscription whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

Why? Maybe you just want to play madden or cod online with friends.

Live doesn't mean you have to buy tons of xbla games.

[quote name='Ramandur']Real question then maybe, Who cares about the soccer moms? Someone has to pay the inflated prices for things to keep things cheap for everyone else.[/QUOTE]

lol. You sir just contradicted yourself. If you buy this plan you are no different then these soccermoms. If you are that hard up for cash and must get a game system right away, go down to the local sperm and blood banks, go take out a loan seeing as you don't mind paying more over time since you are getting something cheap now. I feel bad for you if you are a salesman, because you would only get those soccermoms buying from yiu and it must make you feel more like a man knowing you just hustled someone

[quote name='confoosious']Why? Maybe you just want to play madden or cod online with friends.

Live doesn't mean you have to buy tons of xbla games.[/QUOTE]

then so be it. Still a bad deal. If all you play is cod and madden I wouldn't even classify you as a gamer anyways.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']lol. You sir just contradicted yourself. If you buy this plan you are no different then these soccermoms. If you are that hard up for cash and must get a game system right away, go down to the local sperm and blood banks, go take out a loan seeing as you don't mind paying more over time since you are getting something cheap now. I feel bad for you if you are a salesman, because you would only get those soccermoms buying from yiu and it must make you feel more like a man knowing you just hustled someone[/QUOTE]

Wow you really never read my org. post. I can afford it but why would I put out the extra cash out of my gaming budget when I could use the money to flip games instead.

Im glad that you are here to let all of us know what is and isnt a deal and who is and isnt a gamer. How did I ever get by before your posts.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']then so be it. Still a bad deal. If all you play is cod and madden I wouldn't even classify you as a gamer anyways.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

Try not to fall off your high horse. Ability to buy games isn't limited to "hardcore" gamerz.

this deal isn't for everyone but it obviously works for some people.

[quote name='Ramandur']Wow, you ask alot of questions you seems to have the awnser for. What I am saying is that for many people this might not be a good deal. But, for some people in some situations it might be. To say it shouldn't be posted is stupid. Lets see that deal and we can make our own decisions. To each their own.[/QUOTE]

I think the guy brought up some interesting points. I just hope Microsoft keeps the ability to buy a system outright, without the subscription attachment, in their next system.

The reason this site is popular centers around finding the systems, games, dlc, and subscriptions on sale, and not getting roped into paying retail, or having to do the equivalent of buying a cable bundle package to garner a small amount of savings. I never pay anywhere near retail for my Live sub renews, and if MS makes it a requirement at some future date, I may just stop gaming, or look elsewhere for a cheaper alternative.

[quote name='Ramandur']Wow you really never read my org. post. I can afford it but why would I put out the extra cash out of my gaming budget when I could use the money to flip games instead.

Im glad that you are here to let all of us know what is and isnt a deal and who is and isnt a gamer. How did I ever get by before your posts.[/QUOTE]

not everyone, just you. :)

[quote name='preston181']I think the guy brought up some interesting points. I just hope Microsoft keeps the ability to buy a system outright, without the subscription attachment, in their next system. .[/QUOTE]

I don't see why anyone would be even worried about this. Of course they will let you buy the system outright.

Those making the Time Value of Money argument are overlooking that the price drops on hardware over time and other promos such as packed in games and gift cards (Walmart is offering the 4gb Kinect bundle for $250 with a Tiger Woods game bundled with it next week...and there will likely be a hardware price drop in Aug or Sept/Whenever Nintendo says they are going to announce the date and price of the WiiU.) A dollar might be worth a little less in a year, but the odds are extremely high that kinect bundle is going to be at least 16.6% lower in price ($50 price drop from $300 to $249) sometime in the next 6 months.

Wow, some of you are so ignorant it is ridiculous.

We obviously know that this is not a "deal", but for many people this way of buying an xbox makes sense.

For people who do not have the money up front, it is a great way to dissipate the cost over a long period of time, even if it makes it more expensive, it still makes it easier to swallow in the long run.

Also people argue that it is a waste to get it now, since the new xbox is around the corner. Let's face it, the people who are going to do the 2 year payment plan probably dont want to or cannot afford a brand new system immediately when it comes out.

Stop being so single minded and realize the fact that not everyone is privileged to buy brand new consoles in full immediately when they come out.

I didnt have the money to buy my mini cooper in full when I got it, which is why I pay monthly payments now. Do I want the new coupe? Of course I do, but realistically I cannot just go out and buy it. The people who will take advantage of this will be the ones realistic with themselves.

[quote name='cigaro']Wow, some of you are so ignorant it is ridiculous.

We obviously know that this is not a "deal", but for many people this way of buying an xbox makes sense.

For people who do not have the money up front, it is a great way to dissipate the cost over a long period of time, even if it makes it more expensive, it still makes it easier to swallow in the long run.

Also people argue that it is a waste to get it now, since the new xbox is around the corner. Let's face it, the people who are going to do the 2 year payment plan probably dont want to or cannot afford a brand new system immediately when it comes out.

Stop being so single minded and realize the fact that not everyone is privileged to buy brand new consoles in full immediately when they come out.

I didnt have the money to buy my mini cooper in full when I got it, which is why I pay monthly payments now. Do I want the new coupe? Of course I do, but realistically I cannot just go out and buy it. The people who will take advantage of this will be the ones realistic with themselves. [/QUOTE]

You are overlooking the Live service. If it was just paying for the system overtime I could understand this but you are getting forced to buy 2 years of Live. Buying a car isn't a good comparison. If anything compare it to a phone with a 2 year contract.

The point still stands: it's not a deal for everyone. You don't like it, don't get it. But it's not the complete rip off you are making it out to be.

This deal is geared towards a certain segment of the market. Yes, we get it, it's not you. Now leave it alone.

So... ALL opinions aside I would like to know if this is in fact going to happen at Best Buys so I dont have to drive 35 mins to Microsoft store :)

[quote name='Stry-ker']So... ALL opinions aside I would like to know if this is in fact going to happen at Best Buys so I dont have to drive 35 mins to Microsoft store :)[/QUOTE]

If you mean the way it's explained in the OP, probably not. There's still the $15/mo that is missing in the description.

[quote name='Stry-ker']So... ALL opinions aside I would like to know if this is in fact going to happen at Best Buys so I dont have to drive 35 mins to Microsoft store :)[/QUOTE]

Yes, Major Nelson said it was coming to both Best Buy and GameStop.

[quote name='d8onausa']If you're going to talk numbers, you need to employ the time value of money into the equation. $5 now is not worth $5 in two years for example.[/QUOTE]

This. Plus the xbox bundle will be probably go through a price drop or two by the time the subscription is up. Also, ever month or so a retailer offers some sort of promo or other, all of which is forgotten when totaling the cost of this.

This is a horrible deal. I would be more likely to suggest to someone who wants the system now, but doesn't have the money to buy the system on a delayed interest credit card, get the free month of live, buy a discounted year within the first month, and make payments to the credit card and pay it off before the interest is accrued. That is the suggestion I would make to idiots.

To smart people I would suggest not buying non essentials unless you have the money to pay for them.

Or, share in the cost with a roommate or sibling, and each person puts in the $100, and just buy the system outright. Then, go sign up for Gamefly until games can be afforded.

[quote name='ijustw1n']This isn't really a deal. As posted earlier, much earlier, you pay way more in the long run.[/QUOTE]

You pay about the same if you include the extra year warranty you get on both the kinect and xbox 360 as part of this bundle (you get 2 years of warranty as opposed to only 1 year - for both the kinect device and the xbox its self - people love to omit this fact). I am too tired to do a cost breakdown right now since its 8am and I havent gone to be yet...but anyone with half a brain can figure it out. I did a quick one in the last thread we had about this bundle being available at the Microsoft Store and if I recall, it was actually like $5 or $10 cheaper than buying everything separate (with the extra years warranty for kinect and xbox 360 each) at retail pricing.

This is a really good deal for people who dont want to drop hundreds of dollars at once. If you actually do the math instead of just ASSUMING, I believe it worked out to roughly the same price, if not even a couple bucks cheaper like I mentioned, than buying it all separately w/the 2 years of Gold (assuming that you pay the full price of Gold for 2 years instead of finding a deal). If you find a deal on the 2 years of Gold time then the bundle will cost a little more...but the difference is negligible over the course of 2 years.

The only down side I can see is that since the contract is for 2 years, it is likely you will still be paying on the console/service when the next gen consoles are released...

It's not a horrible deal for someone who doesn't know much about xbox. isn't the bundle usually $299 and xbl could range from $70-$120 for two years. I never pay more than $40 for xbl so for me buying a new system + kinect + 2 years xbl would be $380 and this deal is $460 with $360 spread out over two years. it's like a credit plan for a poor gamer

[quote name='mistermoravec']
To smart people I would suggest not buying non essentials unless you have the money to pay for them.[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree with this. If you are so strapped that you can't pay for a 250 or so Xbox in full, then you probably have a lot of other things going on in your life that would take priority over an amenity like a game console.

I'd personally be ashamed of myself if I were to consider financing something like this. Not so much because I'm struggling financially, but more so because my priorities were that far out of alignment.

People need to start thinking of this as a contract, like a cell phone, as opposed to a deal. You don't come out on top in the long run (especially if you ever get a hard drive) and there's an early termination fee if you opt out at any time.

Not really a deal but its a good option for those who can't afford it. I can't wait to start selling these at my store! /s

Do any of you guys have houses and cars? :lol:

For the record I agree that this is a bad deal for an Xbox, but what is with the blanket condemnation of deferring payment in general. Most people have a mortgage and maybe a car loan. It's not always realistic to pay in full upfront for everything.

Not a horrible deal for those who can't afford $400 up front. This package would run you $1000 at Aaron's or Rent-A-Center

RENT A CENTER used to rent PS3's for $29.99 a week and if you made 52 payments in a row on time you'd get to keep the PS3 for FREE... LOL (That would total $1560)

The reason a company like that is in business to to pray on the weak, stupid, poor, and those with a lack of good credit.

This offer from microsoft does much of the same... although to a much lesser degree than Rent A Center.

OK, not to confuse anyone by being on topic, but I didn't see this in the "Sunday" flyer, and the topic clearly says "Best Buy" and "SUNDAY". So, is this another 1 of those Target Kindle Fire clearance deals?

Oh, and Rent-A-Center is obviously evil, as are check cashing places (I live squarely between the 2) but besides the similarities to cell phone plans I'ld also like to add Tivo's. I just don't understand how people pay $13 per month to record tv shows, but they do. Satellite radio also seems like a very unnecessary expense, but they say they have over 20 million subscribers. As for mortgages, mortgage's are the fulfillment of the American dream, the dreams of bankers w/ $ in them, for alot of other people it's a nightmare (don't EVER do that math). End of 99% rant.

[quote name='rjejr']OK, not to confuse anyone by being on topic, but I didn't see this in the "Sunday" flyer, and the topic clearly says "Best Buy" and "SUNDAY". So, is this another 1 of those Target Kindle Fire clearance deals?

[/QUOTE]

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/...-can-now-sell-microsofts-xbox-360-for-99-too/

I think it is more a case that it was only announced a few days ago and Sunday circulars have a production lead time of around 20 days, so it probably won't be mentioned in one of those until July.

[quote name='bstein14']RENT A CENTER used to rent PS3's for $29.99 a week and if you made 52 payments in a row on time you'd get to keep the PS3 for FREE... LOL (That would total $1560)

The reason a company like that is in business to to pray on the weak, stupid, poor, and those with a lack of good credit.

This offer from microsoft does much of the same... although to a much lesser degree than Rent A Center.[/QUOTE]

LOL, if you can't afford a ps3 at the current price range of $250, maybe you should not be gaming, and save the money, and spend it else where

[quote name='YBX87']LOL, if you can't afford a ps3 at the current price range of $250, maybe you should not be gaming, and save the money, and spend it else where[/QUOTE]

I'm sure this was when they were $600.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Do any of you guys have houses and cars? :lol:

For the record I agree that this is a bad deal for an Xbox, but what is with the blanket condemnation of deferring payment in general. Most people have a mortgage and maybe a car loan. It's not always realistic to pay in full upfront for everything.[/QUOTE]

I think the idea behind condemning something like this is simply because it's an amenity with absolutely no return on investment.

Cars are essential for most and buying a home, if done correctly, can be a great investment. I can't see how a 360 could be necessary in any way as opposed to a fridge, AC unit, or many other things people end up needing to finance. There's valid points on both sides of this matter though, I'm not denying that.

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']You pay about the same if you include the extra year warranty you get on both the kinect and xbox 360 as part of this bundle (you get 2 years of warranty as opposed to only 1 year - for both the kinect device and the xbox its self - people love to omit this fact). I am too tired to do a cost breakdown right now since its 8am and I havent gone to be yet...but anyone with half a brain can figure it out. I did a quick one in the last thread we had about this bundle being available at the Microsoft Store and if I recall, it was actually like $5 or $10 cheaper than buying everything separate (with the extra years warranty for kinect and xbox 360 each) at retail pricing.

This is a really good deal for people who dont want to drop hundreds of dollars at once. If you actually do the math instead of just ASSUMING, I believe it worked out to roughly the same price, if not even a couple bucks cheaper like I mentioned, than buying it all separately w/the 2 years of Gold (assuming that you pay the full price of Gold for 2 years instead of finding a deal). If you find a deal on the 2 years of Gold time then the bundle will cost a little more...but the difference is negligible over the course of 2 years.

The only down side I can see is that since the contract is for 2 years, it is likely you will still be paying on the console/service when the next gen consoles are released...[/QUOTE]

don't know why I'm pointing this out, since I still this is a horrible deal/plan, but the downside you listed probably wot happen if Microsoft lets you transfer your GOLD account onto their next system. I dont see why you wouldnt be able to since people that had LIVE accounts on their original XBox systems were able to transfer their Gold accounts onto a 360.

To all those hating on this deal, i wonder how many of you put your xbox at $300+ on a credit card that you're only paying the minimum on every month.
Ever stop to think how much your xbox actually is going to cost you in the long run?

While i would never go this route, i see the value in it for people who cannot afford an upfront price.

[quote name='Apostle22']To all those hating on this deal, i wonder how many of you put your xbox at $300+ on a credit card that you're only paying the minimum on every month.
Ever stop to think how much your xbox actually is going to cost you in the long run?

While i would never go this route, i see the value in it for people who cannot afford an upfront price.[/QUOTE]

There's no value, zero value. There is no point in paying payments for something as frivolous as a damn game system. As cheap ass gamers I assume we'd all know that.

[quote name='K_G']http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/...-can-now-sell-microsofts-xbox-360-for-99-too/

I think it is more a case that it was only announced a few days ago and Sunday circulars have a production lead time of around 20 days, so it probably won't be mentioned in one of those until July.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. And in case anyone is considering this (though I'm thinking nobody here is) as of Monday morning it's not listed on the BB website either. Though there is a refurb Arcade for $125 and about a dozen other iterations at varying prices. Really makes the Wii look static.

This reminds me of when my father got sucked into the eMachine deal where you get a computer cheap with a 2 year contract with MSN dialup.

[quote name='ijustw1n']There's no value, zero value. There is no point in paying payments for something as frivolous as a damn game system. As cheap ass gamers I assume we'd all know that.[/QUOTE]

and so are a lot of other things people charge on credit cards. notable things are TVs and cell phones(2 year plan to get that huge discount on that expensive phone).

the point is this deal appeals to some people. you get live, kinect, an xbox, that kinect game that comes with kinect, all for around 100 bucks. check out the cheap section and you find a good game or two for 20 bucks. so for about 140-150 you can get ALL of that which is a value at brand new that would cost over 300 dollars.

this is a good deal for plenty of people. people here need to stop acting holier than thou. some people flat out cannot chuck out 300+ bucks for everything at once. and might only be able to save up 10-40 bucks a month depending on that bills and whatnot. this gets them that xbox a lot faster. this not really much different than a credit card type deal or the aforementioned cell phone plan or payment plans for a TV. none of that crap is actually neccessary and while we are it neither is a damn car.

[quote name='The Punisher']Anyone know if they going to drop the price for the xbox 360 4GB models?[/QUOTE]

no, but it looks unlikely given this new 'tier' of pricing for the console.

[quote name='Apostle22']To all those hating on this deal, i wonder how many of you put your xbox at $300+ on a credit card that you're only paying the minimum on every month.

While i would never go this route, i see the value in it for people who cannot afford an upfront price.[/QUOTE]

Once again, let me repeat myself. How many people "paid upfront" with a credit card and months/years later are still paying the minimum and getting charged interest. Unless you're paying cash, its not the worst deal in the world.

Don't really understand the hate for this OFFER(not a deal) there's gonna be a large portion of people who will do this & feel happy with it. But for a single mother with a couple kids who do right by her & do good in school she maybe able to reward them with this offer & not put the family in financial hardship. If you look at the total cost of Apple products or other cell phones that $ put out there over the course of those contacts are much much higher it's not even close.

Would there be the same hate had Sony offered the PSvita with 2 offers like

$100 upfront & $20/month for 1 year

or

$100 upfront & $15/month for 1 year

I think Sony would've had more sales(but people would still be looking for games)

[quote name='Apostle22']Once again, let me repeat myself. How many people "paid upfront" with a credit card and months/years later are still paying the minimum and getting charged interest. Unless you're paying cash, its not the worst deal in the world.[/QUOTE]

wow....never knew there would be so much power in quoting yourself. I have seen the error of my ways.

[quote name='Enuf']Don't really understand the hate for this OFFER(not a deal) there's gonna be a large portion of people who will do this & feel happy with it. But for a single mother with a couple kids who do right by her & do good in school she maybe able to reward them with this offer & not put the family in financial hardship. If you look at the total cost of Apple products or other cell phones that $ put out there over the course of those contacts are much much higher it's not even close.

Would there be the same hate had Sony offered the PSvita with 2 offers like

$100 upfront & $20/month for 1 year

or

$100 upfront & $15/month for 1 year

I think Sony would've had more sales(but people would still be looking for games)[/QUOTE]

Sony already offers a plan where you buy the 3g the model for $300 and can pay $15a month for 3g service, so no the $100 up front and $15 a month would actually save you $200. The 360 deal saves you nothing.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Sony already offers a plan where you buy the 3g the model for $300 and can pay $15a month for 3g service, so no the $100 up front and $15 a month would actually save you $200. The 360 deal saves you nothing.[/QUOTE]the $15/month would be for the $250 wifi version not the 3G.

bread's done
Back