Better OVERALL instruments? GH vs. RB

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohboy10451

Banned
GH: World Tour Band Kit OR Rock Band 2: SE? Assume that both are the same prices. Mainly interested in the guitars but drums as well.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I prefer RB2's personally.[/QUOTE]

I do too. I haven't tried the GH drums but despite how the RB2 guitar's strum bar still needs work, I think it's miles better than the GH one.

I think the build on the RB2 instruments is better, but I still, personally, prefer the GHIII Les Paul to the RB guitars, mainly because of the strum bar.

I don't think there is a clear winner. I myself still play on the Xplorer guitar I got with Guitar Hero II back when it was new, and I've had both the Les Paul and the WT guitar. I like the Rock Band guitars, but I'm so used to the Guitar Hero versions that I've never had a reason to switch over. I'd say the current RB guitars are better in terms of quality (as opposed to the current GH ones).

I haven't had much time with the Guitar Hero drums, but I know playing World Tour with Rockband drums is really fucking awkward; the pads are all switched around.

We've had like two or three threads like this before haven't we?

Guitar Hero instruments after Neversoft took over are total crap. I've went through three or four Les Paul's (two in less then three weeks) when GH3 came out and the main culprit is always the detachable neck. When GH:WT released another guitar they retained the detachable neck (for some God forsakend reason) and it's still the main cause of problems. Meanwhile the World Tour drums fell apart on me in my friend in less then 3 hours of taking them out the box. The pads just stopped working and the cymbals stopped working as well (well unless you hit them super hard in which case for some reason the red pad would register it as well so you'd drop a note).

The Rock Band 1 guitars are flimsy as shit with the strum bars, but it's alot more sturdy in Rock Band 2. The MadCatz bass I definetly like alot, but the wireless one for that has a bit of a click that easily makes it the best one of the bunch to me. Meanwhile the Guitar Hero X-Plorer I've had since launch and minus the squeeks from strumming, it still works as fine as when it first came out. The Rock Band drums, so far no problems, but Rock Band 2 ones are definetly more sturdier.

I'm assuming that since you reposted this thread only in the PS3 forum that you're getting it for that system, so I'd suggest getting two Nyko Frontman guitars for $30 each at GameStop. They're a bit hard to get working initially, but they work perfectly after you get it working with its dongle. You can use the official Sony blutooth headset for vocals, though a cheap mic isn't hard to find if you want it cheap. Not sure about where to get cheap drums though since I still have my RB1 drums from RB1's launch.

There really is no "better" one. It is which ever you are familiar with - I'm used to the GH3 Guitar and I completely suck with the RB guitars (I absolutely hate them). Yet, I love the RB drums and hate the GH ones. It is whatever you learned on. So - it doesn't really matter... go find someone that has both or one of them and try it out, see which one you like.

[quote name='Sparta Omni']I prefer GH guitars and the rest RB.[/QUOTE]

This is the right answer. The GHIII guitar is the tits.

[quote name='javeryh']This is the right answer. The GHIII guitar is the tits.[/QUOTE]

I have to give a 3rd bump to this opinion as well. I saw someone above complaining about the GH3 guitars breaking but me and my friends did some slight mods to fix the neck-looseness problem. Ever since them they have been completely solid under constant use and abuse. I don't know how anyone can say they prefer the RB guitars though because they feel and play like complete crap in comparison to the GH guitars.

The RB2 drums are fantastic, especially if you fork out a few extra dollars for the MadCatz cymbal add-ons. I love my fake rubber video game drumkit so very much.

Slightly related question....

Will the Xbox 360 GH II and/or GH III guitars work with Rock Band? I ask as I'll definitely want to pick up the Pearl Jam Rock Band game when it comes out, but only have interest in the Guitar game (don't have room for the drums nor interest in the vocals).

So it would be ideal if I could just by the disc only and use my GH guitars.

I can't say with absolute certainty that the GH3 guitar will work in Rock Band 1, but the GH2 Xplorer guitar certainly does. It's the most compatible guitar out there, and it's my favorite.

Yeah, I also vote for the GH2 guitar on the 360. It's the only one of my 4 guitars that actually works. I have the GHIII Les Paul (drops notes), GHWT guitar (drops notes) and RB1 guitar (awful strum bar, overdrive hard to deploy).

I haven't really tried the RB2 guitar, though. The strum bar seems the same, but it's probably more reliable than the GHIII/GHWT/RB1 guitars at least.

All the guitars currently released for the 360 work on RB1 and RB2 and all the Track Packs and other offshoots. No reason to think that's going to change. However, the Pearl Jam project may just be DLC, not necessarily a disc.

[quote name='ChessPieceFace']
All the guitars currently released for the 360 work on RB1 and RB2 and all the Track Packs and other offshoots. No reason to think that's going to change. However, the Pearl Jam project may just be DLC, not necessarily a disc.[/QUOTE]

Good to know.

True, if it ends up DLC then I'll just buy whichever RB game disc is needed. But from the rumors it seemed like it would be a disc--I hope so. A game full of PJ songs has been something I've wanted since the first time I played Guitar Hero.

Yeah, it could be a disc like the AC/DC game, which you could both play as a standalone game, or export into Rock Band 2. That's not a bad way to go. Though I doubt PJ would stand for it being a Walmart exclusive. :)

Well I threw Rock Band 1 & 2 on my Goozex requests and got matched up for both already, so I'll be covered if the PJ project ends up being a download pack.

Decided to take the plunge when I saw the whole Ten album was already available, along with some RHCP and Foo Fighters.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Well I threw Rock Band 1 & 2 on my Goozex requests and got matched up for both already, so I'll be covered if the PJ project ends up being a download pack.

Decided to take the plunge when I saw the whole Ten album was already available, along with some RHCP and Foo Fighters.[/QUOTE]

the full sets or just the games?

Ideally, older Guitar Hero guitars with Rock Band drums. The microphone seems pretty much identical between sets.

To make the Guitar Hero drums even usable, we had to hook up a laptop and change the sensitivity with an application we found online. Even then, they were still off (the cymbals tend to trigger on their own, and it wasn't very good at differentiating between the regular and armored notes).

I haven't had a problem with my Rock Band guitar, but the GH3 one has served me very well. Check the physical size, if you can - the older Guitar Hero guitars are shorter, if that matters to you.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Who knows. PJs new album is a Target exclusive.[/QUOTE]

How grunge of them.

If you just want the guitar and the game, I'd think you would have to go with Guitar Hero, as the Rock Band games only come as the full set or game only.

IMO, World Tour really isn't worth a pick up for over $15 though; I'd try to get a good deal on an Xplorer guitar and just buy Rock Band 2 stand alone if you're only interested in guitar.

[quote name='ohboy10451']the full sets or just the games?[/QUOTE]

Just the games.

I'm only interested in the guitar part and already have the GHII and GH III guitars for 360.

Got Rock Band 2 yesterday and played for an hour or so. Both the GH3 and GH2 360 controllers worked great.

Will pick up Pearl Jam Ten when I get a chance to grab some MS points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back