BIG NBA TRADE: Webber to Sixers

Well, considering that the Kings have a better record when Webber was injured than when he was healthy, this almost doesn't seem to bad for them.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']A.I. is finally going to get some help. That could be an awesome one-two punch[/quote]

It's just a matter of him wanting the help now. Earlier in his career he had Larry Hughes and Jerry Stackhouse and I think A.I. didn't want to share the spotlight.

That trade did come out of left field though. With the supposed heat between C-Webb and Peja, I though Peja would have been gone first.

yeah the sixers are still looking to deal Glen Robinson and Samuel Dalmbert also. I've been hearing rumors for Mashburn/Rogers of the Hornets or Antonio Walker of the Hawks. If the sixers can get Walker they would have a great front court with Iverson leading the back.

Awesome. I've been wanting A.I. to get some help, the Sixers will surely make the playoffs. Theres no intimidating power forwards in the east except Jermaine Oneal and Rasheed Wallace.

I think this helps the Sixers a lot. Webber is a versatile big man, who can really dish. It'll help the 76ers since AI loves to jack up so many shots. The only problem I see is Webber's huge contract and his age - he's not as athletic as he was a couple years ago.

So basically, the Kings get nothing out of the deal, except for the huge salary relief. It's definitely going to be interesting to see how the Kings play without their former-franchise player, but I bet Stojakovic's scoring will go up.

[quote name='GuilewasNK'][quote name='CaseyRyback']A.I. is finally going to get some help. That could be an awesome one-two punch[/quote]

It's just a matter of him wanting the help now. Earlier in his career he had Larry Hughes and Jerry Stackhouse and I think A.I. didn't want to share the spotlight.

That trade did come out of left field though. With the supposed heat between C-Webb and Peja, I though Peja would have been gone first.[/quote]

Hughes and Stackhouse aren't exactly your protypical team players either :p

Actually they are ballhogs who don't have 1/10th of the playmaking ability of AI.

Peja is crap but Kings figure he's younger and healthier than Webber. He's invisible in the playoffs though .... playing Ostertag at center is a joke because I am sure they will move Miller to PF. Kings need someone like Duncan at this point (too bad they don't grow on trees) if they want to win. They have no post presence since Miller is either always injured or shoots the 12-15 footer :p

hmm its funny because they were about to Deal Peja away for basically nothing...Webber is getting old and he is injury prone.. i think the Kings had enough of the Big salary and will end up signing a Big name free agent in the off season...Artests name is going around...that will be interesting to see if something happens by thursday midnight..

[quote name='tenzor']yeah the sixers are still looking to deal Glen Robinson and Samuel Dalmbert also. I've been hearing rumors for Mashburn/Rogers of the Hornets or Antonio Walker of the Hawks. If the sixers can get Walker they would have a great front court with Iverson leading the back.[/quote]

There was a rumor about a deal for Ray Allen & Radmonivic (or whatever) ... that would be interesting, although I don't know how that would work out.

Secondly, if Jason Kidd gets sent to the Wolves w/KG they will make the playoffs easy.

[quote name='integralsmatic']hmm its funny because they were about to Deal Peja away for basically nothing...Webber is getting old and he is injury prone.. i think the Kings had enough of the Big salary and will end up signing a Big name free agent in the off season...Artests name is going around...that will be interesting to see if something happens by thursday midnight..[/quote]

Artest should be traded to the Sixers, so him Iverson and Webber can make a rap cd together and hopefully win a championship for philly

[quote name='SteveMcQ']what's the proposed trade for baron davis?[/quote]

hes suppose to be traded to the Warriors for Dale Davis, and two other guys

[quote name='GuilewasNK'][quote name='CaseyRyback']A.I. is finally going to get some help. That could be an awesome one-two punch[/quote]

[/quote]

It wasn't A.I. sharing the spotlight, it was that Coach Brown constructed an offense around A.I. shooting, and could not restructure an offense, so they traded the players away.

One of the worst trades in the last 10 years

ranks right up there with

robert traylor for dirk nowitzki
vlade divac for kobe bryant

what were the queens thinking?? geez..get rid of a triple double threat for a bunch of fake 6'7 power forwards..give me a break

This is what I posted to another board with a few edits, your thought?

I've thought about this trade for about a day now and I still don't completely understand it. I realize that Petrie was clearly a believer in the old "addition by subtraction" cliche, and to an extend I agree. Webber takes too many bad shots, doesn't play D, and generally interupts the normal flow of play in the Kings offense not to mention the supposed bad blood between he and Peja. I also understand the fact that his contract is huge and crippling to any longterm plants. I understand the reasons for dealing Webber. What I don't understand is why the Kings got who they got.

Kenny Thomas is signed long term, he will make about 50 million through 2008. He is only averaging about 6.6 boards, and 11.3 points,1.3 assists, .9 steals .5 blocks a game in about 28 minutes per.

How are those numbers any better then what we currently have in Darius Songaila? Songaila is averaging 3.9 boards, 6.6 points, .9 assits, .6 steals, and .2 blocks in only 19.9 minutes. If you start Songaila in place of Webber his numbers would be almost identical to Thomas'. So how does getting a player who is clearly overpaid and signed longterm who is also NO BETTER then what we have in Songaila help?

Next up is Corliss, this is probably the only piece of the trade that I like, He would make a perfect backup to Peja, he would give us a good inside rebounding/scoring option.

Finally there is Skinner, he has been a total bust this year and is currently injured, he may or may not even be healthy enough to really contribute this year and even if he is where does he play??? We already have quality backups in Songaila and Corliss, House, Evans, and Ostertag? At least his contract isn't long term, I suspect that's the reason Petrie got him. I doubt he'll be around after this year.

So to summerize we basically get 1 contract off the books in Skinner, a good backup for Peja, and an overpriced bum in Thomas, who is no better then what we have in Songaila. This still doesn't solve the problem we have of Miller playing out of position at center. Was it really worth it to do bump Webber? Why couldn't we get Robinson or at least 1 quality starter that is an upgrade to what we already have

We should have got Corliss and Glenn Robinson (whose big contract comes off the books this year and would allow us to sign a big time free agent) and then whatever throw-ins they wanted to give. OR we should have got Dalembert.

Edit 1: My point about Rodney Rogers was simply saying that in dealing for him they(philly) gave up a lot more (Robinson's contract) then they did to get Webb. Since Webber is more important to Philly's success then Rogers I'd have thought Petrie would be able to get more for him. If Billy King felt Rodney Rogers was worth Robinson don't you think Petrie could have gotten that contract for Webber?

Edit 2: Well after game 1, Corliss (who was the only player we got that I liked) did quite well, so at least he looks good. Thomas (whom I wasn't fond of) also played quite well. If he gets 16 and 10 a night this deal might work out quite well, but I still can't help but think Songaila could pull down those type of numbers too. Anyways the main point is that we won. I also thought that last ditch effort from C-Webb was indicative of his career. Close but no cigar. He is an excellent player who simply can't get it done in crunch time. See Michigan; time-out called, as well as playoffs; vs. Lakers.

I really have no ill will towards Webber and I think it was classy for him to take out a full page ad thanking the Kings fans in Sundays Bee, but I still feel like we are better off without him, he simply monopolized the offense, for better or worse (worse in my opinion). But I can understand that, I believe he guinely thought he was the King's best option and that Sacramento had the best chance to win when he had the ball. Even though I disagree with that, I can respect it and I think Chris Webber will be missed, if for his toughness at least. I don't believe anyone else on the Kings is half the leader he was, for better or worse.

I think the Celtics made a nice trade... If they sign Payton after this weekend as is expected, they'll have basically added Walker for nothing. Yeah, they gave up a 1st round pick, but its the lesser of their 2 1st round picks this year, either their own, or the pick from the Lakers they got in the Payton deal. A pick at the end of the 1st round just eats cap room anyway, they don't need two of those, and they have a whole roster of recent draft picks anyway.

Nobody honestly thinks the Celtics are going to do anything, but they're in the weakest division in the NBA, and anyone can win the East. Anyone except maybe Miami would get demolished in the finals anyway.

[quote name='dafoomie']I think the Celtics made a nice trade... If they sign Payton after this weekend as is expected, they'll have basically added Walker for nothing. Yeah, they gave up a 1st round pick, but its the lesser of their 2 1st round picks this year, either their own, or the pick from the Lakers they got in the Payton deal. A pick at the end of the 1st round just eats cap room anyway, they don't need two of those, and they have a whole roster of recent draft picks anyway.

Nobody honestly thinks the Celtics are going to do anything, but they're in the weakest division in the NBA, and anyone can win the East. Anyone except maybe Miami would get demolished in the finals anyway.[/quote]

Yep I agree. It also seems that Walker has buried the hatchet with Ainge and is happy to be back in Boston. I still think Philly is the team to beat in the Atlantic though. They may have traded a lot of depth away, but their lineup oF Korver, Igdoula, A.I, Webber, and Dalembert is pretty formidible for the east.

[quote name='jimbodan'][quote name='dafoomie']I think the Celtics made a nice trade... If they sign Payton after this weekend as is expected, they'll have basically added Walker for nothing. Yeah, they gave up a 1st round pick, but its the lesser of their 2 1st round picks this year, either their own, or the pick from the Lakers they got in the Payton deal. A pick at the end of the 1st round just eats cap room anyway, they don't need two of those, and they have a whole roster of recent draft picks anyway.

Nobody honestly thinks the Celtics are going to do anything, but they're in the weakest division in the NBA, and anyone can win the East. Anyone except maybe Miami would get demolished in the finals anyway.[/quote]

Yep I agree. It also seems that Walker has buried the hatchet with Ainge and is happy to be back in Boston. I still think Philly is the team to beat in the Atlantic though. They may have traded a lot of depth away, but their lineup oF Korver, Igdoula, A.I, Webber, and Dalembert is pretty formidible for the east.[/quote]
Its either Philly or Boston in the Atlantic, the Celtics lead that division with a .500 record, its pathetic. Even if the Celtics don't go anywhere this year, I still like their core of young players (West, Jefferson, Allen, Banks, Perkins) with veterans (Walker, Pierce, Payton) for down the road. Walker, Pierce, Payton, LaFrentz, and Allen or Ricky Davis is decent, with Davis as probably the 6th man. Its really nothing special, but its the East...

[quote name='dafoomie'][quote name='jimbodan'][quote name='dafoomie']I think the Celtics made a nice trade... If they sign Payton after this weekend as is expected, they'll have basically added Walker for nothing. Yeah, they gave up a 1st round pick, but its the lesser of their 2 1st round picks this year, either their own, or the pick from the Lakers they got in the Payton deal. A pick at the end of the 1st round just eats cap room anyway, they don't need two of those, and they have a whole roster of recent draft picks anyway.

Yep I agree. It also seems that Walker has buried the hatchet with Ainge and is happy to be back in Boston. I still think Philly is the team to beat in the Atlantic though. They may have traded a lot of depth away, but their lineup oF Korver, Igdoula, A.I, Webber, and Dalembert is pretty formidible for the east.[/quote]
Its either Philly or Boston in the Atlantic, the Celtics lead that division with a .500 record, its pathetic. Even if the Celtics don't go anywhere this year, I still like their core of young players (West, Jefferson, Allen, Banks, Perkins) with veterans (Walker, Pierce, Payton) for down the road. Walker, Pierce, Payton, LaFrentz, and Allen or Ricky Davis is decent, with Davis as probably the 6th man. Its really nothing special, but its the East...[/quote]

Yep, if Webber's knee doesn't hold up for Philly, Boston pretty much has that division sewed up for the next few years.

Im a huge Kings fan (and no, I don't live in Sac)

I was a bit dissapointed that the kings traded C-Webb but they did play better with out him and they needed another man on the bench.

Im not sure if this was posted in here, but the Kings won last night 101 to 99 beating the Sixers.

bread's done
Back