Biggest Disappointment In Execution Of Concept This Generation?

[quote name='Liquid 2']People liked Fable II?[/quote]
Not that I know of. But in order to be disappointed in Fable II, you had to have expected good things from it in the first place.

I have similar thoughts about a good chunk of the people mentioning the Wii here, too.

[quote name='The Crotch']Not that I know of. But in order to be disappointed in Fable II, you had to have expected good things from it in the first place.

I have similar thoughts about a good chunk of the people mentioning the Wii here, too.[/quote]

I thought the Wii would be better than what it was. I've played all the games I was interested in on it except one, and honestly I think the Wii is the worst console this gen by far. I enjoyed Mario Galaxy,Mario Kart Wii, and Smash Brothers Brawl. That was about it. Even though Brawl has broken online play. Surely you don't like the Wii more than 360 or more than PS3.

I'm going to say the Xbox 360 hardware... even though the 360 has kept up, and many times exceeded, the PS3 in terms of technical achievements (especially with all the fluff from Sony about the PS3 being technically superior), the hardware issues made me get a PS3. But with games like MGS4 and Killzone 2, I do think the PS3 can achieve more when developers actually figure everything out- at which time it'll be too late.

But I think the Wii may be an even bigger disappointment lately... I haven't played a Wii game since Brawl. I only turn it every now and then to check out a GC or VC game.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I'll get flamed for this but... KZ2

even more so... Socom[/QUOTE]

Killzone 2's single player mode was definitely a downer... it wasn't anything special other than the fantastic graphics. But the amazing multiplayer more than makes up for that. I haven't played an online game this much since the original Unreal Tournament.

[quote name='jman619']Surely you don't like the Wii more than 360 or more than PS3.[/quote]
Well, yes, I do. I have this thing called "different taste".

I also have this thing called "no PS3".

EDIT: I also have something called "little money" (hence the "no PS3"), which probably has some influence, here.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Wii is definately on the top of my list. I was a huge proponent in the beginning. I waited in the cold 6 hours to preorder mine, but after playing for a while, I realized that most games simply replaced "push this button" with "shake the hell out the remote" and called it support. Even Nintendo is guilty (I'm looking at you Zelda)

For games, Assassin's Creed for sure. I loved the game for the first few hours. Then the repetition killed it for me, especially the fighting.

I'll also say Fallout 3. I played it for about 8 hours, but with everything being different shades of the color dirt, the whole game just felt really samey to me, and I just couldn't get into it. I might give it another try soon though as I'm running out of things to play

[quote name='The Crotch']Not that I know of. But in order to be disappointed in Fable II, you had to have expected good things from it in the first place.

I have similar thoughts about a good chunk of the people mentioning the Wii here, too.[/QUOTE]

I would have liked if it were closer to Fable 1, but with more emphasis on combat. The overall feeling I get from the game is that waaaayyyyyyy too much time was spent on the expressions/relationship/real estate part. The properties aren't so bad. The other parts amount to hitting the dpad once every 2 seconds to drive up a meter.

oh, and that end game...or lack thereof = :lol:

Fable II. Battle system was pointless (Attack! Attack! Attack!), repetitive, boring, etc... Maybe I just had too high expectations (I never played the first one).

[quote name='Macheezmo']The Wii is definately on the top of my list. I was a huge proponent in the beginning. I waited in the cold 6 hours to preorder mine, but after playing for a while, I realized that most games simply replaced "push this button" with "shake the hell out the remote" and called it support. Even Nintendo is guilty (I'm looking at you Zelda)[/quote]
I was as well. I waited in line for several hours twice and was a pathetic zealot before the Wii's release as exemplified by a lot of my old posts. Nintendo really dropped the ball with friend codes and the inability to transfer downloaded VC/WW content to new systems. I'm also a bit disappointed at how few titles support Mii's, have their own channels or use the waggle well. I suppose The Crotch is right and it's my fault for believing the hype.

Club Nintendo was also a bit crap too considering it came so late comparted to Japan and we had to whine so much to get it. The platinum gift is the only thing that can make the service worthwhile.

[quote name='KingBroly']He said this generation, not every generation.[/QUOTE]

A year isn't a generation. I'd say next-gen Madden, compared to last-gen, is a major disappointment.

Perhaps I didn't convey my original intentions well enough. If you have low expectations going in or there are major problems with a game, you can just stop playing and walk away. When there is an awesome concept that is hampered by poor execution you are constantly torn between wanting to avoid the crap and wanting to experience the good parts. At the end you say to yourself if they had just made a few changes to the way the game played it would have been one of the best games ever.

This being torn continues afterwards when people ask for your recommendation for the game. It's hard to steer people away from experiencing great moments in a game. At the same time you don't want to recommend a game that has serious problems.

And as far as the Wii is concerned I've read a couple of in depth analysis of motion sensing controllers that have convinced me that the Wii is not to blame for it's problems. The technology simply isn't capable of performing the way you imagine it could in your head. Red Steel would fall into the category of games I'm talking about because it relied on that concept. If you bought a Wii based solely on Red Steel I feel for you, but I don't think that applies to most people.

Another way to look at it is to actually break the games down:

The Force Unleashed
Concept: You are the ultimate bad ass
Issues: Camera problems and uneven difficulty leave you feeling like a loser

Mirror's Edge
Concept: A fresh new point of view for games that focusing on exciting motions in new environments
Issues: Trial and error gameplay that results in numerous deaths and the inclusion of multiple armed enemies ruins the flow of the game and ultimately makes it not that much different than some FPS's

Assassin's Creed
Concept: Stealth killing in unique enviroments in a fully realized world
Issues: Repetitive elements pull many people out of the world and completely ruin it

Dark Sector
Concept: You get a unique bad ass weapon
Issues: It turns out simple regular old guns are pretty bad ass too. Levels designed in tight environments with quick enemies don't allow you to use the main selling feature of the game

I think it's safe to say that people like to bitch.

Not based on this thread, just... y'know, in general. I've got PhrostByte working on a graph to prove it.

[quote name='lokizz']so i guess its safe to say alot of people have been dissappointed with this gen of gaming?[/QUOTE]

On the contrary, I think this is one of the better generations. Every system offers a different combination of choices, depending on your likes and needs.

I'm saying the Wii hasn't hasn't lived up to it's potential in but a few titles, but the majority of the best titles don't use the motion controls for the most part or has an alternative to using those controls (i.e. Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy). The best game that uses motion controls a lot I feel is Wii Sports.

I'd say the worst Wii game execution with a good concept would have to be Red Steel. I was soooo excited for that game when I saw the trailer for it back before the Wii came out.

On the flipside of what many people are saying, I absolutely love Mirror's Edge and Assassin's Creed (minus the repitition in AC).

I actually didn't really like Mass Effect. Don't flame me for this one, but I just couldn't become immersed in the world and I don't know... didn't do anything for me at all.

Force Unleashed had an AMAZING premise, but the execution was below average for me.

Now, you want terrible execution on a good idea... Sonic the Hedgehog for 360.
Premise: A return to Sonic's roots

Execution: :(

[quote name='jkanownik']Perhaps I didn't convey my original intentions well enough.
-snip-[/QUOTE]
OK, Madden still falls under this.

Concept: Simulation football game using an EXCLUSIVE NFL license
Issues: Lacks the presentation values that were in its last-gen version; new gameplay modes fall short; gameplay mechanics are broken, too much emphasis on graphics rather than core gameplay

MAIN PROBLEM: Buying the NFL license discouraged competition, resulting into a mediocre/below-average sports title.

Since Madden 06 (first next-gen Madden), it's always been filled with these issues. Four titles in this generation, all have been disappointing. Still sells well, but that doesn't hide the fact that it has its problems, yet, still.. repeats.. itself... every.. year.

I agree with you entirely except for:

[quote name='shinryuu']

MAIN PROBLEM: Buying the NFL license discouraged competition, resulting into a mediocre/below-average sports title.
[/quote]

It didn't discourage competition, it practically eliminated it! haha

The only semi-simulation game to be released since Madden got the license was All Pro 2k8, but even then, it was all legends. I still feel that exclusive licenses are one of the worst things to happen to games this decade. It started with Madden and is now spilling over to Guitar Hero.

oh yeah lets not forget DLC. thats been probably the biggest dissappointment maybe even over the wii. the theory was good dl stuff to breath new life into games. new levels, adventures weapons ect. where it fails is that more times than not all theyre selling is crap. or they sell stuff to people that can be gained through just earning it . i havent seen one bit of dlc on any of the games i own that is worth purchasing especially for what they charge for it.

its gone from being something to add life to a game to another way for companies to squeeze money out of you. though i would like to know how that dlc for gta on 360 turned out.

[quote name='lokizz']oh yeah lets not forget DLC. thats been probably the biggest dissappointment maybe even over the wii. the theory was good dl stuff to breath new life into games. new levels, adventures weapons ect. where it fails is that more times than not all theyre selling is crap. or they sell stuff to people that can be gained through just earning it . i havent seen one bit of dlc on any of the games i own that is worth purchasing especially for what they charge for it.

its gone from being something to add life to a game to another way for companies to squeeze money out of you. though i would like to know how that dlc for gta on 360 turned out.[/QUOTE]
That sounds like a good thing to me. It means all the important stuff comes with the game already.

[quote name='metaly']Ha. Before even clicking on the thread the first two games I thought of were Mirror's Edge and Assassin's Creed. I also still really enjoyed Assassin's Creed despite all the repetition, but the controls and combat in Mirror's Edge ruined it for me. I wish the whole game had been more like the time trial levels because those were much more fun.

I want to call out MGS4 because the gameplay sort of dried up after the second act, or GTA4 because Rockstar removed or altered a lot of the fun side missions and put in the lame friends system instead, but AC and ME's faults left a much bigger impression on me. I'm looking forward to AC2 since it sounds like they've tightened it up a lot. I probably won't play a Mirror's Edge sequel if they ever make one.[/quote]

I don't know if I was disappointed by MGS4 or not. I still have no idea of what happened in the final cutscene. Acts 3,4,5 had less gameplay in them then the first two acts combined.

on the topic of DLC, the best execution of DLC this generation has to be the Rock Band series. Not only do they keep it on a regular schedule, but they listen to what their fans want and even gave 20 free songs that they wanted to put on disc with the purchase of RB2. Also, they made the DLC transferrable from RB1 to RB2. That's the way DLC was supposed to be implemented in my opinion.

I like complaining as much as anyone, but I need to preface this with my overall impression of this generation. I think this has been one of the best generations ever, probably top 2 in my mind. I'm surprised by the hate for Fable 2, me and my friends loved that game, not perfect by any means but still very good.

Okay biggest disappointment, I guess I will join the bandwagon and say the Wii. I got one the first week but it barely gets turned on. As far as games, GTA4, RE5, Mirror's Edge, and Assassin's Creed.

GTA4 was a tough one for me to put in but after playing the heck out of the GTA3's I couldn't sink more time into the same game. I'm probably alone in this one but after playing Saints Row the controls for GTA4 were painfully sluggish.

RE5 - Still an ammo management simulation game. I still can't walk and swing my knife? How do I shoot, press hold one button and press another? Why? Controls killed the fun for me.

Mirror's Edge and Assassin's Creed - As everyone said, great concepts but poor execution. Mirror's Edge trial and error ended it for me, and assassin's creed became repetitive quickly.

The games I listed I consider good games, but they had much more potential.

Oh, hey, fuck Brawl's level editor. New disappointment: Valve's promise of "episodic content". Jesus fucking Christ, how many years to get a few extra hours of gameplay?

Wii, Mirror's Edge.

I liked Assassin's Creed. I took the good, I took the bad. I took them both, and there I had Assassin's Creed.

[quote name='The Crotch']Oh, hey, fuck Brawl's level editor. New disappointment: Valve's promise of "episodic content". Jesus fucking Christ, how many years to get a few extra hours of gameplay?[/QUOTE]
I don't get all the love for Valve. It might be the most overrated game developer.

I love most of Valve's games, but they're definitely overrated.

Anyway, good choice Crotch. The amount of time between the HL2 episodes is ludicrous.

[quote name='Ryandb2']

GTA4 was a tough one for me to put in but after playing the heck out of the GTA3's I couldn't sink more time into the same game. I'm probably alone in this one but after playing Saints Row the controls for GTA4 were painfully sluggish.
[/quote]
Snap. How could I forget that one? Yeah, GTA4 felt almost like a chore to play through then anything else. The cars felt floaty and so did the world in general. Only small touches made the game feel anything close to being a step up from GTA: San Andreas.

[quote name='The Crotch']Well, yes, I do. I have this thing called "different taste".

I also have this thing called "no PS3".

EDIT: I also have something called "little money" (hence the "no PS3"), which probably has some influence, here.[/quote]

I know what it is like not having much money. Do you own a 360?

[quote name='The Crotch']The 360 doesn't get a whole lot of play. I'm not an online kinda guy, anyway, so there goes a lot of the appeal for me.[/quote]

I'm not either. I rarely play Halo 3/Gears 2 online. I did enjoy some games on the wii, but since I have a ps3/360 it never gets any play time. If I didn't have both I'm sure it would.

[quote name='bardockkun']Snap. How could I forget that one? Yeah, GTA4 felt almost like a chore to play through then anything else. The cars felt floaty and so did the world in general. Only small touches made the game feel anything close to being a step up from GTA: San Andreas.[/quote]

i think the way the cars handle are the best thing in the game. fucking helicopter is a damn nightmare to try and use and why does niko kinda move like a weeble when you turn? as much as i like multiplayer it gets frustrating when you try and turn only to fall off of something or you try to just get up against the wall and you do that weak slide move and get killed because it.

the game has alot of flaws ( the most annoying to me is people being able to shoot you through walls) that said it could be better. hell even if they didnt do a full san andreas remake id be happy if they released a multiplayer only version with all the games worlds in it with extra weapons, character models and game modes and vehicles.

there were alot of cool things in san andreas that could have been fun in a multiplayer setting. like the triathalon , bike races, home invasion, taking over gang turf, vigilante missions. itd have been fun to do a sort of gone in 60 seconds type game too where you have to scour the area and get all the cars you need before time runs out.

The right answer really is the Wii. I haven't bought a game since RE4 came out and the only thing I've played since then that even remotely approached fun was Boom Blox (I had a blast after about 10 beers and a room full of people). I am hugely disappointed in the system and this is coming from someone who absolutely loved ever Nintendo system and ranks the Gamecube up there with the best. I even think the controls have real potential. The only games I see myself buying in the future for the Wii are Mario, Zelda, Pikmin and Metroid sequels. That's the list. I would have much rather preferred two Gamecubes ducttaped together.

Lair - A game about dragons, that turned out to be a Star wars game (with the same exact missions) with people riding on dragons instead. I tried to like the game, but damn, when I'm a dragon trying to use a tow cable to tackle some large animal.... we have a problem. This game has to be the poorest execution.. and this is from the ground up. Even the concept was flawed.

Probably the Wii, because there is .. (or was?) potential in it being so much more than what it turned out to be.

If the Wii Motion+ had been built into the controller, had the Wii come with a larger storage system (OR used the SD card from the start)...then maybe things would have been different. If the Wii controller was 1:1 from the start, then there is no doubt we would have seen better games..and the ones we DO have would have been better. If we had a storage solution from the start (SD card or just bigger drive) we may have had more DLC. Because of this, we could have had DLC for classic games. Like.. why not put out Star Fox 64 and have it online enabled?

What annoys me with most Wii games is that sometimes the ONLY thing the game needs is a good control scheme and it usually always fucks up. How on earth could a game like Samba De Amigo be bad? ..that's what I thought, and it turns out that it sucks when you shake the controller and it doesn't respond.

So, I'm more annoyed with the execution of the Wii is what I'm pretty much saying.

The wii, games either seem to be dumbed down to support the motion control system or involve endless frustration as the game misinterprets your movements.

bread's done
Back