Biggest NBA trade ever

Grave_Addiction

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
MIAMI (AP) -- In the largest trade in NBA history, Antoine Walker was dealt from Boston to Miami on Tuesday night in a transaction involving five teams and 13 players.

The Heat also acquired point guard Jason Williams and small forward James Posey from Memphis, while the Grizzlies received guard Eddie Jones from the Heat. The New Orleans Hornets and Utah Jazz were also involved in the deal.

The trade was larger than a 12-player, four-team deal in 2000 involving Patrick Ewing that had been the biggest in league history.

Miami also received Andre Emmett from Memphis and the draft rights to Roberto Duenas of Spain from the Hornets; Utah received Greg Ostertag from Memphis; Boston picked up Curtis Borchardt from Utah and a package -- Qyntel Woods, the draft rights to Spanish center Albert Miralles, two second-round draft picks and cash -- from Miami; New Orleans acquired Rasual Butler from Miami and Kirk Snyder from Utah; and the Grizzlies received guard Raul Lopez from the Jazz.

Hours after signing Shaquille O'Neal to a five-year deal, the Heat added three significant pieces to a roster that nearly reached the NBA Finals last season.

"We traded a lot, but we got back three quality players," said Heat president Pat Riley. "Antoine Walker is one of the very best multi-faceted, versatile players in this game. ... He is able to handle the ball, pass it, make plays, shoot 3's and rebound the ball. There isn't anyone in this league better at doing that."

Walker, a three-time All-Star, figures to become the starting small forward and would be backed up by Posey, one of the league's better defenders.

Walker signed a six-year deal worth nearly $53 million with Boston as part of the deal's preliminary framework, and agent Mark Bartelstein said he appreciated the Celtics' willingness to help out their longtime forward.

"Antoine is thrilled," Bartelstein said. "This was a grueling process trying to put a sign-and-trade together. This took a lot of time and work and energy from a lot of people."

Williams would take over as Miami's starting point guard if Damon Jones leaves as a free agent.

Eddie Jones exits Miami after five years with the Heat.

"I spoke to him and he's appreciative of the five great years he's had in Miami," agent Leon Rose said. "He's proud that he's helped build something, although it's unfortunate that he won't be able to see it to fruition. But he wishes the organization nothing but the best."

Riley wished the three players leaving Miami well, especially Eddie Jones, whom he called "the consummate professional through thick and thin."

"I know he had fun and he was a major part of this," Riley said. "But in order to get something good back, you have to give up something good going out. I wish him nothing but the best."

Memphis acquired Borchardt earlier Tuesday in a deal in which Sacramento got Bonzi Wells from the Grizzlies in exchange for guard Bobby Jackson and Ostertag.

The Hornets did not give up any players under contract in the megatrade, which was approved by league officials late Tuesday night.

"Our cap flexibility is what allowed us to get these two players as part of this deal," Hornets general manager Allan Bristow said. "We were able to acquire two young, quality players while only giving up the rights to a player who has never appeared in a Hornets uniform."

Walker, who averaged 19.1 points and nine rebounds last season for Atlanta and Boston, will be a welcome addition to the Heat, said forward Udonis Haslem -- who formally signed his $30.7 million, five-year deal Tuesday.

"We're two different players and we can bring two different things to the table," Haslem said, a few hours before the trade got done. "If we put that together, we should have a pretty good tandem."

Miami reached Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals this past season -- even though O'Neal and Dwyane Wade were both hurt at the time. And not only was Jones a starter on that team, he was the Heat's best perimeter defender -- a role that Heat president Pat Riley and coach Stan Van Gundy have long valued.

Eddie Jones, a career 16.4-point-per-game scorer, averaged 12.7 in the regular season and 13.7 in the playoffs as Miami's third option.

"Eddie Jones is an All-Star caliber player who has had a terrific NBA career. He is a great 3-point shooter who will make an immediate impact on our offense, while also serving as a solid defender in the backcourt. We look forward to Eddie finishing his NBA career in Memphis," Grizzlies president Jerry West said.

Williams averaged 10.1 points and 5.6 assists for the Grizzlies last season. Riley likened his playmaking ability to Steve Nash and Jason Kidd.

"He is a very athletic, quick, explosive scorer and has great experience," Riley said. "One of the reasons why we are making the trade is that we haven't had anyone here like that since Tim Hardaway left."

Posey was limited to 50 games this past season because of injuries, and only 18 starts. He averaged 8.1 points and 4.4 rebounds.

The trade capped a flurry of activity by the Heat -- who moved quickly once the league's moratorium on player signings expired Tuesday at noon EDT.

O'Neal was signed to a $100 million contract; the move was expected, although the contract was considerably smaller than what O'Neal figured to command.

Haslem said the team has full confidence in whatever personnel choices Riley and general manager Randy Pfund make.

"Since I've been here, they've made great decisions," Haslem said. "And I'm sure they'll make the right decision here."

I'm surprised the Heat took in Jason Williams... he's more trouble than it's worth, plus he'll never play with Dwyane around. Posey is a very talented all-around player, though.

[quote name='kittie']I'm surprised the Heat took in Jason Williams... he's more trouble than it's worth, plus he'll never play with Dwyane around. Posey is a very talented all-around player, though.[/QUOTE]

That settles it. You like not just wrestling and video games, but sports, too?

You're either really not a female, as others have suggested, or I want to marry you.

Only kidding. ;)

[quote name='kittie']I'm surprised the Heat took in Jason Williams... he's more trouble than it's worth, plus he'll never play with Dwyane around. Posey is a very talented all-around player, though.[/QUOTE]

Posey has always been a tad under-rated, but he's an excellent role-player.

Word has it that Joe Johnson is headed to ATL also. This is good for me since im a Hawks fan and giving Chicago a chnace to kidnap Al Harrington.

Lakers are going to be great next year. They are truly building another dynasty. Not only are they getting 9 time NBA champion coach Phil Jackson back but future hall of famer Kwame Brown and giving away guys Caron Butler and Chucky Atkins. Now only if they can get rid of Lamar Odom for someone like Tim Thomas or Shawn Bradley.

[quote name='Matt Young']That settles it. You like not just wrestling and video games, but sports, too?

You're either really not a female, as others have suggested, or I want to marry you.

Only kidding. ;)[/QUOTE]

LOL ive been wondering that as well....

[quote name='bobo2k4']Word has it that Joe Johnson is headed to ATL also. This is good for me since im a Hawks fan and giving Chicago a chnace to kidnap Al Harrington.

Lakers are going to be great next year. They are truly building another dynasty. Not only are they getting 9 time NBA champion coach Phil Jackson back but future hall of famer Kwame Brown and giving away guys Caron Butler and Chucky Atkins. Now only if they can get rid of Lamar Odom for someone like Tim Thomas or Shawn Bradley.[/QUOTE]

Johnson has been dealt to ATL pending some snafu that needs to be worked out

[quote name='bobo2k4']Word has it that Joe Johnson is headed to ATL also. This is good for me since im a Hawks fan and giving Chicago a chnace to kidnap Al Harrington.

Lakers are going to be great next year. They are truly building another dynasty. Not only are they getting 9 time NBA champion coach Phil Jackson back but future hall of famer Kwame Brown and giving away guys Caron Butler and Chucky Atkins. Now only if they can get rid of Lamar Odom for someone like Tim Thomas or Shawn Bradley.[/QUOTE]

Caron Butler, IMO, hasn't had a chance to show what he can really do yet. Chucky, I don't mind seeing leave. Lamar is a great player when he is motivated. He has as much talent as you could possibly ask for, but he's been put out of position for so long, and he has a hard time being an off the ball guy. But he's more than capable of being the Pippen to Kobe's Jordan. As for Kwame being a future hall of famer, I don't see it yet. But if anyone can get him going, it's Phil.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I don't know anything about the NBA, but does this mean that Boston got fucked again?[/QUOTE]

They either had to do the sign and trade or lose Antoine Walker for nothing, so I'd say no.

I still can't imagine him anywhere but Boston, even though he has played for another team before.

Miami clearly won the most out of the other teams. Scary lineup right now

PG - Jason Williams
SG - Dwyane Wade
SF - James Posey
PF - Antoine Walker
C - Shaq

Plus they have Haslem who can fill in for Walker or Shaq if they're tired/injured. No question they're gonna run away with the Eastern division.

[quote name='Matt Young']That settles it. You like not just wrestling and video games, but sports, too?

Only kidding. ;)[/QUOTE]

If she is who she says she is, then she's an anomaly. Women just aren't interested in everything she is. It's not right. It throws everything I've ever known about women right the hell out the door.

It's a hard pill for me to swallow, but if it's all true, then I may want to marry her too. And I'm not kidding.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I don't know anything about the NBA, but does this mean that Boston got fucked again?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Billy, yes it does.

:rofl:

[quote name='TheRock88']Miami clearly won the most out of the other teams. Scary lineup right now

PG - Jason Williams
SG - Dwyane Wade
SF - James Posey
PF - Antoine Walker
C - Shaq

Plus they have Haslem who can fill in for Walker or Shaq if they're tired/injured. No question they're gonna run away with the Eastern division.[/QUOTE]

I seriously doubt Walker will play well with Wade and Shaq. He doesn't like to play second fiddle to anyone, and he loves to shoot. Too much. I saw all I wanted from Walker in his stint in Dallas. All I can say is I'm happy as hell he's outta here. He was a lockerroom cancer, too.

I don't see him fitting in well with Miami's current offensive weapons.

[quote name='Matt Young']They either had to do the sign and trade or lose Antoine Walker for nothing, so I'd say no.

I still can't imagine him anywhere but Boston, even though he has played for another team before.[/QUOTE]

But that's just it, they worked a sign and trade and still got nothing for him. Brilliant.

This is a little off topic but...

If you were the GM of the Miami Heat would you trade Shaq for Amare?
An aging monster for a younger-not-as-big monster?

I've been thinking about this for a while and I think I would.

[quote name='bobo2k4']This is a little off topic but...

I've been thinking about this for a while and I think I would.[/QUOTE]

In a heartbeat

[quote name='bobo2k4']This is a little off topic but...

I've been thinking about this for a while and I think I would.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but no sane GM would take on Shaq's 5 year $100 million contract. Shaq has maybe two more good years left. To pay him for three more years and have dead cap space wasting away when Shaq is retired and can barely walk is not a smart move by Miami.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Yeah, but no sane GM would take on Shaq's 5 year $100 million contract. Shaq has maybe two more good years left. To pay him for three more years and have dead cap space wasting away when Shaq is retired and can barely walk is not a smart move by Miami.[/QUOTE]

He has more than that left in the tank. If it was not for a knee by Jermaine O'Neal they would have probably been NBA champs.

also Shaq is much better than Amare. Amare needs a great passing point guard to get anything going where as Shaq only needs the ball.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']He has more than that left in the tank. If it was not for a knee by Jermaine O'Neal they would have probably been NBA champs.

also Shaq is much better than Amare. Amare needs a great passing point guard to get anything going where as Shaq only needs the ball.[/QUOTE]

You have to remember, Amare is still very young. Younger than Shaq was when he came in to the league. You can't tell me Shaq was anything more than a wrecking ball at 22. Consider how far Amare has come in just a couple seasons. Now extrapolate that over a few more. It's scary.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']He has more than that left in the tank. If it was not for a knee by Jermaine O'Neal they would have probably been NBA champs.

also Shaq is much better than Amare. Amare needs a great passing point guard to get anything going where as Shaq only needs the ball.[/QUOTE]

Last year's miami heat team was not getting past San Antonio...Hell if Indy had ron artest, I don't think detroit or miami would've even been close

Amare is to the power forward position what Shaq is to the center position...When it's all said and done, Amare will be the most dominant player ever to play the position. Dwight Howard may give him a serious run for his money...As long as that dumbass Francis is around, he will never get the ball. Orlando is better off shipping Francis' ass out.

Even after this trade today, I still like Indiana's chances to win it all....They have a more balanced team but that fucker known as Jermaine O'Neal seems to be hurt EVERY year come playoff time. Remember, there's only one ball to go around in Miami -- Shaq bitches about not getting shots all the time....Walker used to be a go to guy. Jason Williams loves firing threes in transition. Dwyane Wade is the man though, and if these new guys start taking shots away from him and Shaq, it could unravel in a hurry.

[quote name='guyver2077']LOL ive been wondering that as well....[/QUOTE]

I haven't.
I mean, why would anyone every lie about how they are on the internet? :lol:

Back on topic, I think it would have been nice if the Pistons could get something for the "human victory cigar" that is Darko. I mean, it HAS to piss the other teams off when he hits the floor, because that means that the Pistons figure they have this one wrapped up.

[quote name='TheRock88']Miami clearly won the most out of the other teams. Scary lineup right now

PG - Jason Williams
SG - Dwyane Wade
SF - James Posey
PF - Antoine Walker
C - Shaq

Plus they have Haslem who can fill in for Walker or Shaq if they're tired/injured. No question they're gonna run away with the Eastern division.[/QUOTE]

Yes... scary as in, can't make a shot outside 15 feet. :p

The 1, 2, and 3 are notoriously weak outside shooters... and all teams would be pleased as punch to let Antoine jack up lazy jumpers, instead of being the inside presence he shows at times.

[quote name='kittie']Yes... scary as in, can't make a shot outside 15 feet. :p

The 1, 2, and 3 are notoriously weak outside shooters... and all teams would be pleased as punch to let Antoine jack up lazy jumpers, instead of being the inside presence he shows at times.[/QUOTE]

they got him solely because he can shoot the three from what I read because it is what their team lacked last year. And they also have Haslem and Zo so its not like thier lacking anything on the inside.

and to the person who said Amare was going to be the most dominant PF ever, give me a break. He will never come close to a Tim Duncan or a Karl Malone, they outclass the kid in every facet of the game except dunk ability (and free throw shots as far as Duncan is concerned). He may only be 22, but saying he is going to be the greatest means he gets his game compared to others now and it does not come close. Hell he is not even the leader of his team, it took Nash to get them into the playoffs

PG - Jason Williams
SG - Dwyane Wade
SF - James Posey
PF - Antoine Walker
C - Shaq

I look for Haslem to start after the big contract he signed and posey to come off the bench w/ walker starting at the 3.
On a side note, Joe J. is an awesome player, but does anyone think the hawks might be shooting themselves in the foot by trading away, not one, but two first round draft picks to get him? (do you really think the hawks are looking at late first round picks?) The suns wouldn't have matched the "front-loaded" contract that the hawks offered him anyway, so why give them 2 first round picks for JJ?

If that's why the Heat got Antoine, then they are certainly in trouble.

Looks like Damon Jones will be playing a lot next year.

PG - Jason Williams
SG - Dwyane Wade
SF - James Posey
PF - Antoine Walker
C - Shaq

I don't think this will be the starting lineup. Not according to the article.

PG - Jason Williams
SG - Dwyane Wade
SF - Antoine Walker (Backup James Posey)
PF - Udonis Haslem
C - Shaq

I believe that's how the starting lineup looks, as of today.

On a side note, Joe J. is an awesome player, but does anyone think the hawks might be shooting themselves in the foot by trading away, not one, but two first round draft picks to get him?

It's somewhat disappointing... I thought the Hawks were planning to have their entire roster be 6'8 athletic SF's.

I don't think the Heat are that much better off - Walker and Williams aren't exactly good for team chemistry. I think the Heat should trade Shaq to the Knicks and the Cavs should trade LeBron there as well. That would make the most sense to me...

[quote name='y2jrevolution']On a side note: Talk around the office right now is Michael Finley is close to becoming a Spur.[/QUOTE]

A couple of questions.

1. Have the Mavs cut him?
2. If they have cut him, why would the Spurs pay that much for a backup to Manu?
3. If they haven't cut him, what would the Spurs give up to get a backup for Manu?

EDIT:
I'll answer my own question. I'm in football mode right now so I had to think about it.

1. No, the Mavs can't cut him until August 15th.
2. I wouldn't expect the Spurs to pick a 2, they will probably look to a 3 or a 4.
3. Please see number 2.

[quote name='Derwood43']A couple of questions.

1. Have the Mavs cut him?
2. If they have cut him, why would the Spurs pay that much for a backup to Manu?
3. If they haven't cut him, what would the Spurs give up to get a backup for Manu?[/QUOTE]

they are going to use the Allen Houston rule to get rid of him from their cap (though they still have to pay him)

I heard he was heading to Denver, who would pay him the whole mid level exception

[quote name='CaseyRyback']they are going to use the Allen Houston rule to get rid of him from their cap (though they still have to pay him)

I heard he was heading to Denver, who would pay him the whole mid level exception[/QUOTE]

Half true. An amnesty player won't be removed from a team's salary cap. It will only mean that they don't have to pay any luxury tax on that player.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']they are going to use the Allen Houston rule to get rid of him from their cap (though they still have to pay him)

I heard he was heading to Denver, who would pay him the whole mid level exception[/QUOTE]

Half true. An amnesty player won't be removed from a team's salary cap. It will only mean that they don't have to pay any luxury tax on that player.

Now with Cuttino on the Clippers they will finally be better than the Lakers. What happen to Kittles? Is he going to play anymore?

SAR also joined the not-so-bad Nets.

Walker to Miami - Awesome. Great third scoring option.

Eddie Jones leaving Miami - #-o. That's the second time Jones has had to leave a team that Shaq was a member of. We all know what happened in L.A. after Jones left. I forsee Miami with a Trophy next year. Detroit won't be a menace in the East and the Spurs can't win two in a row (just my opinion).

Reading your post and seeing where everyone went I felt like this.

wtf-monkey.jpg

That is a lot of movement of players now lets see how good or bad those teams are this coming season.

[quote name='daphatty']Walker to Miami - Awesome. Great third scoring option.

Eddie Jones leaving Miami - #-o. That's the second time Jones has had to leave a team that Shaq was a member of. We all know what happened in L.A. after Jones left. I forsee Miami with a Trophy next year. Detroit won't be a menace in the East and the Spurs can't win two in a row (just my opinion).[/QUOTE]

Just what I was thinking, but sometimes too many superstars can be more hurtful than helpful (think of the 01 Trailblazers and 03 Lakers). I think Eddie Jones is an underrated player and I hope that he will eventually get a ring, he did a lot for the Lakers and Miami. I just think that Walker and Williams may take a while to fit in.

[quote name='daphatty']Walker to Miami - Awesome. Great third scoring option.

Eddie Jones leaving Miami - #-o. That's the second time Jones has had to leave a team that Shaq was a member of. We all know what happened in L.A. after Jones left. I forsee Miami with a Trophy next year. Detroit won't be a menace in the East and the Spurs can't win two in a row (just my opinion).[/QUOTE]
Im not a pistons fan, but why wont they be a menace next year? Also, why don't you think the spurs can win two in a row?

bread's done
Back