Bionic Commando: Rearmed price drop $4.99 on PSN/XBLA

I downloaded BC:R for 400 points. It's a very challenging game (right up my alley) and well worth the price. I played some co-op with my wife and she enjoyed it just as much as I did. Go get this game. NOW!

i just brought it this morning, the game is sooo worth $5. there's challenge stages and the swinging mechanic is pretty stiff to begin with but once you get the hang of it, it's so rewarding.

[quote name='Rollobobo']Ok....so is this 400 points for silver members as well????[/QUOTE]

xbox live gold deal of the week, sorry bro you will have to go buy some xbox live gold, or pay full price

[quote name='SimaYi']Can someone give me a definitive answer, which version to buy, PS3 or Xbox 360?[/QUOTE]

i thought the ps3 version wasn't on sale anymore? so if its not id say 360 for 1/2 the price

The PS3 might have slightly better graphics but no trophy support. Google will tell you if I'm forgetting something.

[quote name='SimaYi']Can someone give me a definitive answer, which version to buy, PS3 or Xbox 360?[/QUOTE]

PS3 version's not on sale anymore as far as I know, but it had some extra challenge rooms the 360 version didn't.

I should have know this with be an Xbox Live Gouged member deal. MS never cut the frugal a break. This is one of those times I am disappointed I don't have a PS3, since online is free, which means I don't have to pay extra for everything that comes with a game or "unlock" something I've already payed for, let alone having to pay a fee to get a discount (makes so much sense).

Ah well.

I picked it up. Only a few levels in but its a fun game. Little rough to get into to (lack of jump) but you quickly get used to it.

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']xbox live gold deal of the week, sorry bro you will have to go buy some xbox live gold, or pay full price[/QUOTE]

I need to pay them $50 (no sales going on) to save $5? Bah, that's no deal.

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']xbox live gold deal of the week, sorry bro you will have to go buy some xbox live gold, or pay full price[/QUOTE]

Thanks...I actually found a 1 month card in my GTA IV game..used it....BC rearmed then went from 800 pts to 400 pts. Score.

Thank you though for letting me know.

[quote name='Rollobobo']Thanks...I actually found a 1 month card in my GTA IV game..used it....BC rearmed then went from 800 pts to 400 pts. Score.

Thank you though for letting me know.[/QUOTE]

nice, i only played 2 levels, but the game seems very good for $5

[quote name='Andrigaar']I need to pay them $50 (no sales going on) to save $5? Bah, that's no deal.[/QUOTE]

it is a deal for people like me who have xbox live anyway. but also xbox live is always on sale for at least $40 check newegg.com, but if you dont play xbox live then yeah deals no good for you. but it is a deal

[quote name='Andrigaar']I need to pay them $50 (no sales going on) to save $5? Bah, that's no deal.[/QUOTE]

Here is a tip, never visit any threads with deals at Sams Club or Costco. Your head may explode.

Back under the bridge with ya.

[quote name='louiedog']Here is a tip, never visit any threads with deals at Sams Club or Costco. Your head may explode.[/QUOTE]

Since I happen to frequent Costco in person and usually only check DVDTalk threads about Costco: Huh?

And I am considering a gold account, but I only got the 360 two weeks ago.

[quote name='eastx']Back under the bridge with ya.[/QUOTE]

Not trolling, just comparing it to Steam weekly deals where some sort of membership isn't required.

Yeah, why don't you compare apples to oranges while you're at it? It's a lame comparison, almost certainly intended to annoy.

[quote name='eastx']Yeah, why don't you compare apples to oranges while you're at it? It's a lame comparison, almost certainly intended to annoy.[/QUOTE]

Hmm.. DLC service with DRM and a DLC service that also does game hosting... yea apples and oranges instead of different apples.

Oh FFS, I don't even care about that, I'm asking about the Costco remark now. Could you pack your ego away and help me find a way to skim a few bucks off of a gold membership, or is that asking too much? It's not worth $50 to me, and with SSF2THD being discounted in a few weeks is incentive enough to inquire within.

[quote name='Andrigaar']Hmm.. DLC service with DRM and a DLC service that also does game hosting... yea apples and oranges instead of different apples.

Oh FFS, I don't even care about that, I'm asking about the Costco remark now. Could you pack your ego away and help me find a way to skim a few bucks off of a gold membership, or is that asking too much? It's not worth $50 to me, and with SSF2THD being discounted in a few weeks is incentive enough to inquire within.[/QUOTE]

its always $39.99 at newegg.com like i said earlier 12+1 month sub. that skims $10 off better then nothing.

edit: amazon has them for 40 bucks also. the ones that are instant, not where you have to wait for it to be mailed, here is a link.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Live..._1_4?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1243299515&sr=8-4

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']its always $39.99 at newegg.com like i said earlier 12+1 month sub. that skims $10 off better then nothing.

edit: amazon has them for 40 bucks also. the ones that are instant, not where you have to wait for it to be mailed, here is a link.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Live..._1_4?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1243299515&sr=8-4[/QUOTE]

Funny, I saw that two weeks ago while getting Rez and some other games, but went to look again last week and swear that it was back up to $50 for the online code. Thanks either way.

Shenanigans on me, or the less likely option that Amazon has been screwing with their prices :/

EDIT:
$50 now. I think they raise the price during the weekend and drop it $10 during the week.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='limelight022']Bought it for ps3 for $5 and beat it a few days ago. Hardcore oldschool action. Goes back to the days when games were actually FUN to play.[/QUOTE]

They're not fun now? Not that I don't love Bionic Commando...

[quote name='louiedog']Here is a tip, never visit any threads with deals at Sams Club or Costco. Your head may explode.[/QUOTE]

Very different. Those are stores where it's known you have to be a member to buy stuff there (for the most part), and also the point of being a member is to buy stuff. Xbox Live Gold is an multiplayer game service (1), and many deals for Live Arcade do not require the multiplayer Gold service (2)

[quote name='Shady3011']It's an exclusive sale for Gold members not everyone.[/QUOTE]

I saw that after I logged in and added it to my que ... thanx.

[quote name='Wolfpup']They're not fun now? Not that I don't love Bionic Commando...
[/QUOTE]
I'd agree that games are not as fun as they used to be and I don't think it's just because we're old or played too many. I still find some games as fun or more fun than those in the past, but that is very rare and most can't compare to past games. Developers are too concerned with pulling off technical aspects than gaming psychology.

I completely disagree. I mean you might not like games as well now, might not like the genres or whatever, but if anything games tend to be better made now, more streamlined to remove annoying parts (though we have a LONG way to go with that).

I miss 2D platformers and 2D in general. I'd love to see some real work done on that on the current gen systems. I'd also like some easier to play Japanese RPGs...but less fun? That's really you guys preferences, not games in general. I've been playing stuff since before the NES, and think stuff's just as fun as ever. Heck, some stuff like Mass Effect is something I dreamed of for decades.

Also I 100% disagree about an increased focus on technical stuff. If anything I think there's less of a focus on that than in the past, but certainly it hasn't DECREASED. I don't know where that idea could come from, and I've seen it expressed before. Hardware introductions have slowed, fancing coding is out with middleware in, etc., etc., etc. Technical aspects, if anything, seemed a bigger focus 20 years ago.

I bought the game earlier today. It's pretty fun and at the same time challenging. I also like the starting area music.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I completely disagree. I mean you might not like games as well now, might not like the genres or whatever, but if anything games tend to be better made now, more streamlined to remove annoying parts (though we have a LONG way to go with that).

I miss 2D platformers and 2D in general. I'd love to see some real work done on that on the current gen systems. I'd also like some easier to play Japanese RPGs...but less fun? That's really you guys preferences, not games in general. I've been playing stuff since before the NES, and think stuff's just as fun as ever. Heck, some stuff like Mass Effect is something I dreamed of for decades.

Also I 100% disagree about an increased focus on technical stuff. If anything I think there's less of a focus on that than in the past, but certainly it hasn't DECREASED. I don't know where that idea could come from, and I've seen it expressed before. Hardware introductions have slowed, fancing coding is out with middleware in, etc., etc., etc. Technical aspects, if anything, seemed a bigger focus 20 years ago.[/QUOTE]
That's fine, it's your opinion. Though streamlined means nothing to me when the actual gameplay hasn't evolved enough or has actually degenerated. Almost every genre has seen its best games released past generations ago. No increased focus on technical stuff? Developers put more care into lighting, textures, reflections, water, etc today instead of the actual stuff that makes a game fun to play.

Hardware has slowed because it's more expensive now and more power allows for more degrees of utilizing it. Middleware is done merely for cost saving and hasn't stopped developers from trying to up everyone else utilizing the same engine.

[quote name='J7.']That's fine, it's your opinion. Though streamlined means nothing to me when the actual gameplay hasn't evolved enough or has actually degenerated.[/quote]

Hasn't evolved? Degenerated? When? What?

Almost every genre has seen its best games released past generations ago.

There are some select genres (like what I mentioned) that have unfortunately fallen out of favor, but beyond that I don't know what you could be talking about.

No increased focus on technical stuff? Developers put more care into lighting, textures, reflections, water, etc today instead of the actual stuff that makes a game fun to play.

According to you? What evidence do you have for that, or that developers care less about the experience than they used to? What evidence do you have that there's an increased focus on the technical side?

I've heard this before...did you follow IDEs in the 80's? The 90's? If so, how can you claim that? There was always talk about new programming techniques, new hardware, etc. I really think that's DECREASED now, not increased, but it certainly hasn't gotten more of a focus.

My assumption with people making claims like this is either:
  1. They like some genres that have gone out of favor far more than current genres, and so think things have gotten worse
  2. They didn't play things in the past, and don't actually know how things have changed (or not)
  3. They like (or think they like) things from a particular point better, because it took place during a particular point in their life (just as you hear people claiming films or music have gotten worse...almost always since the supposed "golden age" of their adolescence

Middleware is done merely for cost saving and hasn't stopped developers from trying to up everyone else utilizing the same engine.

And how is trying to do that new? If they really, really just cared about the tech, they'd all be rewriting their own engines, etc. for that matter, not reusing stuff so they can focus on the rest of the experience.

I'm sure there are more, but off hand, the only creator I can think of that always has seemed to focus on technology over the actual experience-Factor 5-just went under. Only they've ALWAYS been like that, or at least since the mid 90's. (Honestly I've never played Turrican, so I don't know if it was similar.)

You used to find far MORE talk about technology, about how some piece of tech outdoes someone else's piece of tech in the past than you EVER do now.

I don't think there's any point in arguing with Wolfpup... :p

But I agree that when people say that games aren't as good as they used to be, it's one of these things:

-They're tying their memories of older gamers with a happier/nostalgic time in their lives.
-Games have evolved but the gamer has not. He doesn't want a good story, or he doesn't enjoy the myriad other advances that games have made, especially multiplayer games.
-The gamer only likes certain genres which are underrepresented these days. However the same gamer is probably oblivious to the many indie and downloadable games that fit in those genres.

[quote name='eastx']I don't think there's any point in arguing with Wolfpup... :p

But I agree that when people say that games aren't as good as they used to be, it's one of these things:

-They're tying their memories of older gamers with a happier/nostalgic time in their lives.
-Games have evolved but the gamer has not. He doesn't want a good story, or he doesn't enjoy the myriad other advances that games have made,e specially multiplayer games.
-The gamer only likes certain genres which are probably underrepresented these days. However the same gamer is probably oblivious to the many indie and downloadable games that fit in those genres.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely. It happens with all forms of entertainment. People think there aren't any good movies anymore and music sucks these days. In 20 years people will say the same thing and point back to now, because in 20 years people will have forgotten White Chicks and the first 50 Cent game. They'll remember Bioshock and The Dark Knight and say, "Why don't they make them like that anymore?"

[quote name='louiedog']I agree completely. It happens with all forms of entertainment. People think there aren't any good movies anymore and music sucks these days. In 20 years people will say the same thing and point back to now, because in 20 years people will have forgotten White Chicks and the first 50 Cent game. They'll remember Bioshock and The Dark Knight and say, "Why don't they make them like that anymore?"[/QUOTE]

It's called nostalgia. Nothing ever lives up to what you played as a kid because you were less discerning than you are now. I used to think all the older NES games I played were great and nothing current could ever top them, but then I play little gems like Shadow of the Colossus :)

[quote name='Wolfpup']Hasn't evolved? Degenerated? When? What?

Look at current JRPG's for instance. Better & more complex stories have existed in the past as well as better battle systems and gameplay. Or survival horror. It used to have a great immersion and actually created a tense and scary atmosphere. Now they've become games with cheap thrills and mindless action. Racing games have become incredibly stagnant with barely any new ideas, retreading the same things over and over, concentrating on the amount of cars or particle effects instead. These are but a few examples.

There are some select genres (like what I mentioned) that have unfortunately fallen out of favor, but beyond that I don't know what you could be talking about.

The following games were better and more fun for their time than the majority of current releases, and thus were more fun relative to how fun games are today. In direct comparison a new game could be more fun, but these games were more fun for their time and thus were a better experience. Just because they are not anymore, doesn't take away how fun they were back then.

Sports: Tecmo Super Bowl, NFL Blitz, 1080 Snowboarding, SSX, Tony Hawk 1-3, NBA Jam, Punch Out, Super Punch Out, etc.
FPS: Doom, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Halo, Half Life 2, Quake series, etc
RPG: Chrono Trigger, FF6-10, Xenogears, Xenosaga, FFT, etc.
SHMUP: Anything last gen and older
Adventure: Zelda series pre GC
Racing: Daytona USA 1&2, Mario Kart series pre GC, F-Zero series, Wipeout series pre PSP, GT 1-3, etc
Survival Horror: RE 0-4, Silent Hill 1-3, Eternal Darkness, etc
Fighting: SFII, SF Alpha series, MK 2-3, Killer Instinct, VF 1-4, Tekken 1-3, etc
Platformer: Mario 1,2,3,World,64, etc
Puzzle: Tetris, Puzzle Fighter 2, Dr Mario, etc
Beat em up: Double Dragon, TMNT Arcade game & TiTime, Streets of Rage, etc
Side Shooter: Contra 1,3, Gunstar Heroes, Metal Slug series, etc
RTS: Starcraft, Warcraft 2-3, earlier Command & Conquer, Civilization series (although IV may be an exception).
Sandbox: GTA:VC, GTA:SA.

These to me were more fun for their time and better games for their time relative to how fun and good games are today for their time. The experiences I've had with these types of games were better than the experiences games of today have given me. And it's not merely age difference in myself because there are still games today that have been more fun for their time relative to these games in the past. And this is my opinion, just as you have yours.

According to you? What evidence do you have for that, or that developers care less about the experience than they used to? What evidence do you have that there's an increased focus on the technical side?

It's all you fucking hear about when they talk about their games. It's clear in the design of the games. It's what the average person wants (they buy games with the best graphics not the best gameplay, CAGs might not, but most of the public does). They cater to the lowest commond denominator. It's obvious when you look at what they've created. Gabe Newell was 100% correct when he said that whole thing about game creators are not taking into account the psychology of reward and reinforcement enough. What evidence do you have that it's not an increased focus...

I've heard this before...did you follow IDEs in the 80's? The 90's? If so, how can you claim that? There was always talk about new programming techniques, new hardware, etc. I really think that's DECREASED now, not increased, but it certainly hasn't gotten more of a focus.

IDEs? Do you mean ID software? Not following you. Of course there was talk of new hardware and such, that will always happen, but it has increased in the game industry of today in comparison to the past. Not by a huge amount, but enough that it has made its mark. Technology is becoming more and more part of our society and consciousness, and leading people to pay more attention to it. New game experiences require technological advances and it's become harder to create new experiences without trying to push the technological envelope in some form.

My assumption with people making claims like this is either:
  1. They like some genres that have gone out of favor far more than current genres, and so think things have gotten worse
  2. They didn't play things in the past, and don't actually know how things have changed (or not)
  3. They like (or think they like) things from a particular point better, because it took place during a particular point in their life (just as you hear people claiming films or music have gotten worse...almost always since the supposed "golden age" of their adolescence
I like every genre that exists, back then and now, except modern fighting games. I've been playing games since Atari, and have never stopped since then. I realize there is an age factor, but I still feel that it is not simply that. I still like some modern games more than those in the past, but there are not many of these.

And how is trying to do that new? If they really, really just cared about the tech, they'd all be rewriting their own engines, etc. for that matter, not reusing stuff so they can focus on the rest of the experience.

I'm sure there are more, but off hand, the only creator I can think of that always has seemed to focus on technology over the actual experience-Factor 5-just went under. Only they've ALWAYS been like that, or at least since the mid 90's. (Honestly I've never played Turrican, so I don't know if it was similar.)

You used to find far MORE talk about technology, about how some piece of tech outdoes someone else's piece of tech in the past than you EVER do now.

Costs are so high now that developers are pretty much forced to use middleware. Even if they want to push the technological envelope, it doesn't mean they have the resources and time to be able to do what they want. I'll do the same thing to you... Devil's Advocate: If they cared more about the experience than the tech they would create an engine that fitted the type of game experience they wanted to create and not be limited by the middleware. You see... it's about costs and what concessions they need to make...

What about Epic, id, Crytek, SE FF series, High Voltage, Polyphony Digital, among others. Then there's those that try to go for both technical and creative/fun like Kojima (which is actually the best of both worlds). This is why he and those rare few like Blizzard and Valve stand out in this industry...

Disagree. Also now it's more of about touting your tech and what you're doing than comparing to others. There's less fighting against competitors in that aspect and more of a personal focus on what someone is doing themselves. This is probably to a large degree the result of developers trying to be more professional as the industry becomes larger and mainstream.

[/QUOTE]
---
[quote name='eastx']I don't think there's any point in arguing with Wolfpup... :p

-Games have evolved but the gamer has not. He doesn't want a good story, or he doesn't enjoy the myriad other advances that games have made, especially multiplayer games.
-The gamer only likes certain genres which are underrepresented these days. However the same gamer is probably oblivious to the many indie and downloadable games that fit in those genres.[/QUOTE]
I agree age/time in life is aspect, but there's still games today that I think are better than those in the past. But there were more in the past that were better for their time. I've evolved, I don't like the same genres as much as I did when I was younger. I appreciate a good story, I love the stories that a few of the games out there they can provide. I'm aware of many of the indie games out there and have played many of them.

[quote name='louiedog']I agree completely. It happens with all forms of entertainment. People think there aren't any good movies anymore and music sucks these days. In 20 years people will say the same thing and point back to now, because in 20 years people will have forgotten White Chicks and the first 50 Cent game. They'll remember Bioshock and The Dark Knight and say, "Why don't they make them like that anymore?"[/QUOTE]

EXCUSE ME?????

My wife and I LOVED White Chicks. Hilarious movie! Not usually a fan of the Wayans (IMO alot of misses for relatively few hits), but this movie was HILARIOUS!

bread's done
Back