Bioshock 2 discussion thread

I'll probably pick up a retail copy in the near future ... think it's only 45 when it's released and I'm sure I can find it on sale somewhere

I'll be there when this hits $14.99 or free when Citibank releases it in their Thankyou Network.

I don't even understand how this game series can have multiplayer.

Anyway, I hope the story line and game mechanic is a good as the first.

Does the Steam version still have Securom on it? I noticed it's no longer on the Steam page's sidebar, but DRM information is still listed under System Reqs.

[quote name='Gamehead']Anyone still looking to start a steam 4 pack group?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Kenrik']Anyone doing a 4 Pack?

I'm interested in a 4 Pack.[/QUOTE]

Yes! Check out this thread:
http://www.cheapassgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6761129

[quote name='Salamando3000']Does the Steam version still have Securom on it? I noticed it's no longer on the Steam page's sidebar, but DRM information is still listed under System Reqs.[/QUOTE]

No. But the Steam version will still have the GFWL.

[quote name='Megazell']
I don't even understand how this game series can have multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

From a story perspective, I really like how the MP is setting itself up to be a prequel, apparently as you "level up", you unlock more stuff about how the Civil War is progressing and each game is supposed to be a skirmish of that war.

From a gameplay perspective, I'm worried that it'll lose a lot of the layers of complexity that the first game had with multiple forces fighting each other, setting up traps, creating chaos, etc. Concerned but hopeful.

Damn, I guess nobody cares about this game lol. I'll probably start it this weekend but I just caught a blurb about how they fucked up widescreen AGAIN. Like, how does this happen back to back from the same company and game franchise? Are they just fucking retarded? Anyways, here's a temporary fix until they patch it:
In Windows, type %AppData% into the run dialog box (Winkey + R), then navigate to and open Bioshock2\User.INI

To Fix the FOV for Widescreen:
Go to the [Default] section and bind an unused key to "SetFOV 90" without quotes. Hit that key ingame to change the FOV. It retains between saves, so you shouldn't have to do it more than once.

[quote name='Jodou']Damn, I guess nobody cares about this game lol. I'll probably start it this weekend but I just caught a blurb about how they fucked up widescreen AGAIN. Like, how does this happen back to back from the same company and game franchise? Are they just fucking retarded? Anyways, here's a temporary fix until they patch it:[/QUOTE]

I was actually helping a friend at his store (Internet Cafe/Lan) this past week and took turns playing it and we ended it. Game was too short and too easy if you ask me. So that's a no go for me on this at any price.

[quote name='Jodou']Damn, I guess nobody cares about this game lol. I'll probably start it this weekend but I just caught a blurb about how they fucked up widescreen AGAIN. Like, how does this happen back to back from the same company and game franchise? Are they just fucking retarded? Anyways, here's a temporary fix until they patch it:[/QUOTE]

You might want to get the dick out of your ass, it'll stop you from crying so much

[quote name='kilm']You might want to get the dick out of your ass, it'll stop you from crying so much[/QUOTE]
Don't lie; I was the best lay you've ever had.

[quote name='Megazell']I was actually helping a friend at his store (Internet Cafe/Lan) this past week and took turns playing it and we ended it. Game was too short and too easy if you ask me. So that's a no go for me on this at any price.[/QUOTE]

There are difficulty settings you know. :roll:

played it on hard and it gave me about 7 hours. Was it as good as the first? No. Was it a good game? Very.

If the first game is a 10, this is a 8 easily.

I saw that you can turn off the vita-chamber, which is pretty pointless for me since I always quickloaded whenever I died in the first game. Made the game at least a little more enjoyable difficulty-wise. Does turning it off just take you to a load screen now?

[quote name='Jodou']I saw that you can turn off the vita-chamber, which is pretty pointless for me since I always quickloaded whenever I died in the first game. Made the game at least a little more enjoyable difficulty-wise. Does turning it off just take you to a load screen now?[/QUOTE]

Dumps you to the start screen.

Been playing through at Hard/No Vita Chamber, good morality.

Having fun, but it hasn't lived up to the first one yet. Good game though.

Pretty fun except lag from time to time. and with new patch some things like charging a plasmid and continuous fire from guns doesn't work. gotta keep pressing button.

[quote name='Jodou']I saw that you can turn off the vita-chamber, which is pretty pointless for me since I always quickloaded whenever I died in the first game. Made the game at least a little more enjoyable difficulty-wise. Does turning it off just take you to a load screen now?[/QUOTE]

Yes. And you have an option to shut off the HUD as well i believe and of course you can disable the flashy item notification.

You can make it as brutal as you like....or you can turn it to normal/easy mode and blow through it in about 4-5 hours.

[quote name='Snuckles']Pretty fun except lag from time to time. and with new patch some things like charging a plasmid and continuous fire from guns doesn't work. gotta keep pressing button.[/QUOTE]

Only bug i encountered a few times was the electro plasmid causing that hand/plasmid selection to stick and become useless. Would get fixed by simply doing a quick re-swap at a gene station or reloading. Thankfully the former were pretty common so i didnt have to resort to losing ground. Didnt have any lag to speak of.

by default hard doesnt do it, just hit esc when you start and shut it off manually in the menu. Its one of those games where you can change the settings on the fly rather than them being set in stone at the start of the game.

[quote name='Jodou']Don't lie; I was the best lay you've ever had.[/QUOTE]

You're right, you're my bitch.

Hey, look, no gamepad support. Something else for you to cry about.

[quote name='kilm']You're right, you're my bitch.

Hey, look, no gamepad support. Something else for you to cry about.[/QUOTE]

All PC Games have gamepad support!

[quote name='Megazell']
Software Spotlight

JoyToKey

This software is a keyboard emulator for joysticks.​

It converts joystick input into keyboard input (and mouse input).​

Use it when you want to control an application with joysticks that doesn't support joystick input. If you wish, you can control even Word, Excel, etc. with joysticks!​

Megazell's Comment - Sometimes I take for granted all the little programs I dl and have installed to make PC gaming easier. This is such a program. I been using this one and variations of it for years. It helps a lot when you have games that should have gamepad support but don't. Must have for all PC gamers.

Click Here!​

For The Full List Of 'Free And Legal PC Games.'​
[/QUOTE]

The End!

Welcome to 1997!

I finally was able to start the single player without it crashing every time it signed into GFWL. I had to create a shortcut to the Bioshock 2 Launcher and run that shortcut as an administrator to prevent the crashing.

Yup, this is a Bioshock game. It looks great and runs great on my PC, so I'm happy about that. Also, it plays a hell of a lot better than the first game. The story doesn't seem too interesting, but maybe it gets better later.

Played about a little over 2 hours now. I'm liking it so far. GFWL is a real pain in the ass though. I'm already tired of signing in and today the game update took forever. Why can't it just update through Steam like everything else?

Anyone else here using a 360 controller? Is there any other software then xpadder to use? So far I have no gripes iwth it, but wondering if there is something better.

I'm up to Siren Alley and enjoying it as well. I'll second those that had trouble with GWFL. It wasn't so bad until today where it's magically turned in to a pain in the behind (I'm guessing because of the updates). I'm trying to blast through it as fast as I can so I can go on to STALKER: SoC.

Finished the game this morning. Like others have stated, the game is very short, which was quite disappointing, as I was left with a "....what? That's it?" feeling at the end of it all. Still, a fun game.

God, this fucking FOV widescreen issue is pissing me off. It keeps getting reset every time there's a cutscene or other transition. It's a pretty huge difference too, like you're constantly zoomed in. I only made it about an hour in before getting bored because it really doesn't do anything to advance the series. I guess if you really wanted to play as a big daddy, then that will be the main draw but it's the exact same game otherwise. BioShock was just one of those games that should never had a sequel made. There's no way they could top the original since it was pretty much flawless.

[quote name='neverletthem']Finished the game this morning. Like others have stated, the game is very short, which was quite disappointing, as I was left with a "....what? That's it?" feeling at the end of it all. Still, a fun game.[/QUOTE]

TOOO short. When it ended I was like damn...Ppl paying $60 for this...

Hmm, I'm in Siren's Alley right now, and I don't think this game is too short. It seems like a good length to me, but maybe that's because I search every nook and cranny.

same here mostly because i enjoy what the tape recordings add. i was dissapointed there was no conclusion to the father daughter one, unless i missed it on my way out.

[quote name='qwerty1']same here mostly because i enjoy what the tape recordings add. i was dissapointed there was no conclusion to the father daughter one, unless i missed it on my way out.[/QUOTE]

You mean the Mark Me(l?)tzer and Cindy ones?
You find out what happened to him in the final areas of Fontaine Futuristics, when you're finding Adam infused flowers for Alex the Great.
Upon killing a Rumbler brand big daddy, you find a log describing how he became a Big Daddy so that he could look after his daughter forever

Hello PC crowd, since Gamestop accidentally gave me a PC preorder code instead of a 360 one, I will give it away to the first one to PM me.

EDIT: Code now taken by Razzuel. Congrats!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think (hope) I'm in the last area now and I couldn't begin to tell you what the story is about. I'm pretty shocked at how I've just been mindlessly following the waypoint marker and I don't like the confusing level design because I spend too much time backtracking to make sure I didn't miss a room. The map is useless once you enter a section because it lights up most of the place and you've no idea where you've been.

I'm playing through hard and only the bosses even put up a fight, since everything can be one shot by either a headshot or just a 1-2 combo (shock and punch/charge). Even then, the bosses can be cheesed if you're full on drill oil and have the icy drill tonic equipped. Just hold down mouse 1 and hit a healing kit if necessary. /yawn

The game is definitely not as good as the first, but it's not terrible. I do wish you could do more with your little sister, like fling her at enemies so she can stab them in the head lol.

the waypoint arrow is the exact same thing that was in the first, and its completely fool proof, so not sure what you're having a problem with.

first wasnt any harder, i completed the entire game with the shotgun and shock ammo with relative ease. Infact i found this one a bit harder since you couldnt string shock traps everywhere to lure the tougher guys into like i did through most of the first.

[quote name='qwerty1']the waypoint arrow is the exact same thing that was in the first, and its completely fool proof, so not sure what you're having a problem with.

first wasnt any harder, i completed the entire game with the shotgun and shock ammo with relative ease. Infact i found this one a bit harder since you couldnt string shock traps everywhere to lure the tougher guys into like i did through most of the first.[/QUOTE]
Waypoint arrow is only for the objective, not searching every room. . .

You can still string trap bullets along the baseboards and have them run through it but it doesn't stun unless you have the rivet gun fully upgraded and they react to the fire. I've found that shock and the harpoon gun are a knockout combo and the boss I just finished in Siren's Alley looked like pinhead from Hellraiser once I was done lol.

[quote name='Megazell']
All PC Games have gamepad support!

The End!

Welcome to 1997!
[/QUOTE]

facepalm1.jpg

Anyone trying out the MP? Not exactly the go-to multiplayer shooter, but it's fun enough, I think.

bread's done
Back