BIOSHOCK - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='catapult37']Yes, and you want to have two save games for this because
if you do not leave him alive, you cannot get into his apartment later, therefore missing a Power to the People machine.
[/QUOTE]

Actually, just
let him live. You can kill him in his apartment later, take a pic of his corpse there, and still get the "Irony" achievement along with the one for his apartment.

And I killed the dancing splicers before I heard him, and he still opened the apartment to come kill me. Crossbow headshots are fun, lol.

Hmm, you get
an achievement for taking a picture of Cohen's body? I wonder if it'll still be there if I go back to his apartment... (I've already finished the game).

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Hmm, you get
an achievement for taking a picture of Cohen's body? I wonder if it'll still be there if I go back to his apartment... (I've already finished the game).
[/QUOTE]

Nope you missed the opportunity.

Not that I'm complaining but maybe something like "Heavy spoiler tag/plot discussion" should be added to the title, since that's what this thread has turned into now that most people have beat it.

[quote name='catapult37']Yes, and you want to have two save games for this because
if you do not leave him alive, you cannot get into his apartment later, therefore missing a Power to the People machine.
[/quote]

Ah, that's the one I missed. :whistle2:?
Thanks!

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']
He does talk to you and tell you not to disturb the dancing splicers via your radio when you enter his apartment later on, but I do not recall actually seeing him again in person after Fort Frolic.

That also reminds me... I loved that part after you took the 2nd or 3rd photo for him where he goes nuts and sends all the splicers after you to the tune of The Nutcracker. There was something very right about that tune playing as I watched like five splicers running around on fire and being thrown through the air by my cyclone traps.
[/QUOTE]

Totally. The fight made me feel like I was in a movie, really cool.

[quote name='mr ryles']and out of curiosity, what is in the box he has locked up? i tried killing him, but died and then he was gone.[/QUOTE]

Nothing good... I think it was a lot of money and some kits?

Yea....I just beat the game for a second time with the bad ending and all I can say is wow. That truly made me feel like a thug and Im glad mine first time through I did the good ending

well mine finally arrived. ive got a few hours in.. and so far the hype didnt let me down. i dont have the , "this is the best game ever" thoughts floating through my head, but it is very solid and one of the very best this gen for sure.

[quote name='paz9x']well mine finally arrived. ive got a few hours in.. and so far the hype didnt let me down. i dont have the , "this is the best game ever" thoughts floating through my head, but it is very solid and one of the very best this gen for sure.[/QUOTE]

Well, you're either going to stay in that mindset, or some of the gameplay aspects are really going to start to aggravate you.

Im right near the final boss battle, but im following this slow ass little sister around. I heard there is submarine thing right before him so that you can go back and find all the power to the people stations and little sisters, right? Is there a list of where all the little sisters are found (like specific parts of levels)?

Also, I heard there is one level that has one extra little sister that isn't listed in the start menu. Do I need that one for getting the savior achievement?

Also, is Sander Cohens apartment in the same level as his master piece?

[quote name='help1']
Im right near the final boss battle, but im following this slow ass little sister around. I heard there is submarine thing right before him so that you can go back and find all the power to the people stations and little sisters, right? Is there a list of where all the little sisters are found (like specific parts of levels)?

Also, I heard there is one level that has one extra little sister that isn't listed in the start menu. Do I need that one for getting the savior achievement?

[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure Little Sisters are generated by Big Daddy knocking on the wall. Since Big Daddys respawn even if there are no little sisters left, just go back to the levels you still have little sisters left in, find a Big Daddy and follow it until it calls out a little sister.

I didn't find an extra little sister and I got the achievement.

[quote name='help1']

[/QUOTE]

You'll take an elevator up to the boss. It auto-saves. I highly suggest manually saving before it, or before the final "room" before the fight.

Just go through all the levels of Rapture, and look at the pause menu and just make sure the Little Sisters are listed as rescued there. I didn't find an extra Little Sister (at least I don't think I did) and I got the achievement.

And no, Sander Cohen's apartment is in a later level. I forget what it's called, but its the one with all the apartments. There's a room with 2 splicers dancing to music, to get Cohen to come out you mess up the record player and kill the splicers.

I'm not that far at all in the game (third level, I think), but damn...the way they play with the lighting effects with certain characters is really creeping me out. I was doing fine the first few levels. If you're not playing this with surround, you're really missing out.

Well, according to my wife my 360 finally arrived from MS. I guess I'll be starting BioShock this weekend even though I'm tempted to hold off until I finish Metroid Prime 3 (but I just started that one too)....

[quote name='youruglyclone']For CE owners
anyone get their Big Daddy Coffins and artbook yet?[/QUOTE]
I didn't get my coffin, no. You don't get the artbook until they've received your broken Big Daddy.

question about the airplane

Why would Fontaine have Jack return in an airplane? Isn't it most likely that he would have died in the crash? And if Jack wasn't physically flying the plane, how likely is it that he could find a flight that went directly over Rapture? And wouldn't a boat have made quite a bit more sense? And finally, how would Fontaine get a message out to Jack to return to Rapture? (I suppose that Jack could have been preprogrammed to return at a specific point in time).
I am only at Olympus Heights and haven't completed the game, so if any of these questions are answered later please let me know. I couldn't wait with these questions though, and it seems like most of the major reveals have already taken place.

thanks to happy panda for explaining the spoiler tab to me

[quote name='rhofman']POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Why would Fontaine have Jack return in an airplane? Isn't it most likely that he would have died in the crash? And if Jack wasn't physically flying the plane, how likely is it that he could find a flight that went directly over Rapture? And wouldn't a boat have made quite a bit more sense? And finally, how would Fontaine get a message out to Jack to return to Rapture? (I suppose that Jack could have been preprogrammed to return at a specific point in time).

ps I didn't know how to hide the text with the spoiler tab that I've been seeing so I hope this doesn't ruin anything for anybody. Also, I am only at
Olympus Heights and haven't completed the game, so if any of these questions are answered later please let me know. I couldn't wait with these questions though, and it seems like most of the major reveals have already taken place.[/QUOTE]

Put your text between [ spoiler ] [/ spoiler ] tags but without the spaces between the [ ]

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Put your text between [ spoiler ] [/ spoiler ] tags but without the spaces between the [ ][/QUOTE]

your quote still shows his non-spoiled text, fyi :)

You asked the question to early but what happens is Jack hijacked the plane. I didnt see if you beat the game but Andrew tells you that. There was a gun in the "gift"

[quote name='rhofman']question about the airplane

I am only at Olympus Heights and haven't completed the game, so if any of these questions are answered later please let me know. I couldn't wait with these questions though, and it seems like most of the major reveals have already taken place.

thanks to happy panda for explaining the spoiler tab to me[/quote]

No. There's nothing more to that plot bit.
Yes, it is perhaps the dumbest, most improbable master plan in the history of video gaming, and that includes METAL GEAR plots, dear Lord.

[quote name='getmyrunon']your quote still shows his non-spoiled text, fyi :)[/QUOTE]

Roffle. Fixed.

And no RollingSkull. MGS still wins for most fucking retarded plots in gaming history.

Hey guys I have a question about how much longer I have to go:
I am in Fort Frolic getting the pics for Cohen.

How many hours do you think I have left? CoD4 Beta distracted me and Eternal Sonata comes out monday so I want to finish this before then.

Also if you are in Fort Frolic, where is the best place to get more film?

[quote name='darthbudge']Hey guys I have a question about how much longer I have to go:
I am in Fort Frolic getting the pics for Cohen.

How many hours do you think I have left? CoD4 Beta distracted me and Eternal Sonata comes out monday so I want to finish this before then.

Also if you are in Fort Frolic, where is the best place to get more film?[/quote]

You're about halfway through the game. And the best place to get film is just look for it laying on the floor and in random places (there are some tripods w/ cameras set up at some spots that you can take film from). And also check the Circus of Value vending machines ... they all seem to have film in them.

A better question might be
why the heck fontaine sent jack out of rapture in the first place. Is there ANY explanation that makes this "plan" make sense? I assume Jack's sole purpose in life was to kill Ryan.... was it important that jack think he was an outsider? since Fontaine could supply him with memories, why did he actually have to be on the plane? -- actually, that reminds me -- when i first hit this plot point, I thought maybe you (jack) had NEVER been off rapture and the plane, too, was a memory implant. That would be more interesting, I think....

Guys JACK HIJACKED THE PLANE!!!!!!
Ryan tells you this when he is telling you what Fontaine was doing. Also the reason Fontaine sends you away is because he wasnt powerful enough to attack ryan yet. He needed the city to go to shit and sort of establish an army

Im sick of the stupid spoilers...You guys obviously dont read. Im answering the question about how the airplane got where it was. Look if your reading this thread and havent beaten the game at this point thats your fault. What good would come out of reading this thread?

[quote name='catapult37']A better question might be
why the heck fontaine sent jack out of rapture in the first place. Is there ANY explanation that makes this "plan" make sense? I assume Jack's sole purpose in life was to kill Ryan.... was it important that jack think he was an outsider? since Fontaine could supply him with memories, why did he actually have to be on the plane? -- actually, that reminds me -- when i first hit this plot point, I thought maybe you (jack) had NEVER been off rapture and the plane, too, was a memory implant. That would be more interesting, I think....
[/quote]

You're asking the right questions, definitely.
The problem is that there are no good answers. There was no damn good reason why Fontaine chose this most ridiculous of all methods for carrying out his plan. Slickkill doesn't get it. The whole plane hijack thing is a stupidly risky method of 'reinsertion' that requires that Jack work alone and away from all of the people who Fontaine had working on him. Ryan was in a locked tin can in the middle of an undersea facility and somehow taking Ryan's son and putting him under mind control was the most logical way of killing Ryan. He couldn't, say, flood the tin can with Ryan in it? He couldn't cut Ryan off power-wise?

It was a stupid plot. That's all there is to it. Bioshock is a crappy story told really, really well. Enjoy the ride, but don't think too hard.

More general question to everyone on the forums here:
Does anyone know the timeframe for all of these events? Suchong died without having perfected the Big Daddy/Little Sister relationship, but he was also instrumental in raising and age-accelerating Jack. Or is this another plothole in the Bioshock story leakier than Rapture itself.

Final thoughts: As much as I love Bioshock, if we "shove it up Ebert's ass," we give him the easy retort that his colonoscopy will have fewer plotholes.

The building Ryan was in was Hephaestus, the geo-thermal powerplant for all of Rapture, distroying that building would destroy rapture.
It's also fairly evident by his death that Suchong DID perfect the bonding plasmid, as for the timeline... its hard to say. I don't think hard dates were ever really given for much of anything.

[quote name='RollingSkull']You're asking the right questions, definitely.
The problem is that there are no good answers. There was no damn good reason why Fontaine chose this most ridiculous of all methods for carrying out his plan. Slickkill doesn't get it. The whole plane hijack thing is a stupidly risky method of 'reinsertion' that requires that Jack work alone and away from all of the people who Fontaine had working on him. Ryan was in a locked tin can in the middle of an undersea facility and somehow taking Ryan's son and putting him under mind control was the most logical way of killing Ryan. He couldn't, say, flood the tin can with Ryan in it? He couldn't cut Ryan off power-wise?

It was a stupid plot. That's all there is to it. Bioshock is a crappy story told really, really well. Enjoy the ride, but don't think too hard.

More general question to everyone on the forums here:
Does anyone know the timeframe for all of these events? Suchong died without having perfected the Big Daddy/Little Sister relationship, but he was also instrumental in raising and age-accelerating Jack. Or is this another plothole in the Bioshock story leakier than Rapture itself.

Final thoughts: As much as I love Bioshock, if we "shove it up Ebert's ass," we give him the easy retort that his colonoscopy will have fewer plotholes.[/quote]

[quote name='slickkill77']Look if your reading this thread and havent beaten the game at this point thats your fault. What good would come out of reading this thread?[/QUOTE]
Again, genius, if you were reading the thread you would see it's comprised of two sorts of people. People discussing the game after completion, and people playing the game looking for help. Until you showed up and threw your little temper tantrum the former group was considerate enough to not spoil things for the latter group.

[quote name='RollingSkull']More general question to everyone on the forums here:
[/QUOTE]
No, he did.
In one of the audio diaries Suchong is being bothered by one of the Sisters and he keeps shooing her away, he eventually smacks her and a Big Daddy gets riled up and kills him.

[quote name='Damian']No, he did.
In one of the audio diaries Suchong is being bothered by one of the Sisters and he keeps shooing her away, he eventually smacks her and a Big Daddy gets riled up and kills him.
[/quote]

I know that well, I joked about it earlier. But ONE prototype doesn't mean it is perfect!

[quote name='RollingSkull']I know that well, I joked about it earlier. But ONE prototype doesn't mean it is perfect![/QUOTE]
True, but it's not too much of a suspension of disbelief that if he made the big breakthrough his assistants could have implemented it.

[quote name='slickkill77']Im sick of the stupid spoilers...You guys obviously dont read. Im answering the question about how the airplane got where it was. Look if your reading this thread and havent beaten the game at this point thats your fault. What good would come out of reading this thread?[/QUOTE]

So basically nobody should participate in this thread if they didn't buy the game at launch and rush through it as fast as possible?

Might want to petition to have the thread title changed then - to something like "Bioshock - Finished game discussion only"

Maybe the people who need gameplay help should make their own thread? Meh, I have little sympathy for spoilers myself since I don't care about them. I use the tags though because I don't feel like hearing people whine.

And to RollingSkull:
The reason Fontaine used Ryan's son is because of the vita-chambers. At least that's what I assumed.

[quote name='Kayden']
The building Ryan was in was Hephaestus, the geo-thermal powerplant for all of Rapture, distroying that building would destroy rapture.
It's also fairly evident by his death that Suchong DID perfect the bonding plasmid, as for the timeline... its hard to say. I don't think hard dates were ever really given for much of anything.
[/quote]

Ahhh. Kayden, when I clicked on your "single greatest post ever" link I expected witty words, not witty titties.

Foo.

someone help me, i'm looking for cobb, and the stiarway is blocked off, and the stupid vent in the corner wont fucken break, this is my 2nd time playing through this game, and the 1st time it was broken. this is a crock of shit >=O

bread's done
Back