Black Friday 2019 Video Game Deals - Master Thread, Spreadsheet, and General Black Friday Discussion

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
Console makers are capitalists with shareholders, their only motive is profit. Why would they sell digital for cheaper just because it makes sense. People have decided they are willing to play full price.

$60 might not have kept up with inflation, but neither have wages. If they lowered the price, they might actually sell millions more. I make pretty good money and I rarely pay full price for a game so in a way, the people who do are subsidizing the game. There are games I wait until they drop to 30 or less to buy. I've never paid money for an assassin's Creed game though they look interesting enough. But if they weren't $60 at launch I would consider it.

But back to the point of digital, I don't see the point personally. If I have to buy more storage, what exactly am I getting out of an all digital console? I'm not so lazy that I can't change a game disc. The game is tied to my account until the game maker or MS or Sony or Nintendo decided to turn off services for it or stop supporting it. There's something to be said for the fact that you can still buy a Nintendo and it will play cartridges in 2019. They can't take that away from you.
I’m not a fan of digital, but I will point out that the physical costs of making discs is vanishingly small. When most of the costs were spent on developing the game, it honestly makes sense that digital is priced the same as physical.

Honestly doing another run over the video game deals this year. There is nothing I don't already have that is a must have these prices. I am mostly going to look to pick up some of the $25 and under games that may or may not get cheaper later. Stuff I am looking to get like Witcher 3 on Switch will just get cheaper, $45 is still a bit much for me to double dip at this point. Looking to buy some gifts this year though and save my money towards modding my Arcade 1Up. 

I am literally you. I hate digital games. I refuse to pay the same price. Just like these digital books.
agreed mostly, a couple of years ago sony at least started making physical games with less than a mb on disc just to trigger the full download to make more money, physical for the switch makes since since they refuse to make a console with 1tb, sucks the 10$ nintendo tax that comes with it, digitally i mostly dont do it on the switch cause of memory reasons and the fact nintendo has decide to release digital games and push the physical or even an announcement back 6months to a year after release, still since i have had to buy multiple externals for sony and xbox even after buying physicals cause of the cheapness with content on disc just to trigger the full game download (understands it plays better) i still go physical first but have in the past years only double dipped digitally for my games when it was cheap enough to justify the laziness of not swapping out discs, just food for thought about buying digital and not preferring digital only

Gamestop has their Black Friday early sale out. Nothing impressive.
Perhaps, but it still has the good deals of God of War, Horizon, Bloodborne, etc for $10 apiece.

"I've been waiting for this moment!"

- $25 GameStop gift card I've been sitting on since last Christmas

I wish those Amazon tablets had regular android on them. I modded one before to have it and it got obnoxiously slow until it took like 20 minutes start up and then I gave up on it.

If it had regular android and ran it correctly I'd buy a 6 pack.

I wish those Amazon tablets had regular android on them. I modded one before to have it and it got obnoxiously slow until it took like 20 minutes start up and then I gave up on it.

If it had regular android and ran it correctly I'd buy a 6 pack.
I've modded mine and it works just fine. Runs the same

Concrete Genie is fantastic and I can't recommend it enough but the VR mode is not the selling point. It's completely separate from the main game and worth spending maybe 15 minutes on.
Thanks for that clarification because it's the first I've heard about it. They were pushing the VR aspect so hard, I assumed the game was entirely playable in VR mode, so that's somewhat disappointing (but not as disappointing as it would have been if I learned when playing for the first time).

Now that all the major ads are out (and Best Buy still seems to be the only one worthy of BF), my only hope this year is that Amazon matches Days Gone for $15 since I don't have a local Meijer to price match with.

Would anyone recommend Super Mario Odyssey to a new Switch owner? Looks pretty interesting.

I already have Mario Kart, Luigi, and Pokemon Shield. I'm trying to not go too crazy this Black Friday since I have some PS4 games to finish as well.

However, I want to pick up the "essentials" (exclusives only) for the Switch. Thinking about getting Odyssey and Super Smash Bros. even if it doesn't go on sale. I don't think I'll ever have the time to play Zelda Lol so I'm not going to grab that yet.

Thanks for that clarification because it's the first I've heard about it. They were pushing the VR aspect so hard, I assumed the game was entirely playable in VR mode, so that's somewhat disappointing (but not as disappointing as it would have been if I learned when playing for the first time).

Now that all the major ads are out (and Best Buy still seems to be the only one worthy of BF), my only hope this year is that Amazon matches Days Gone for $15 since I don't have a local Meijer to price match with.
Gamestop is still not out yet.

Would anyone recommend Super Mario Odyssey to a new Switch owner? Looks pretty interesting.

I already have Mario Kart, Luigi, and Pokemon Shield. I'm trying to not go too crazy this Black Friday since I have some PS4 games to finish as well.

However, I want to pick up the "essentials" (exclusives only) for the Switch. Thinking about getting Odyssey and Super Smash Bros. even if it doesn't go on sale. I don't think I'll ever have the time to play Zelda Lol so I'm not going to grab that yet.
Super Mario Odyssey is one of the best Mario games ever made. And, it shows off all of the best features of the Switch.

Highly recommend it! I bought a Switch over the summer and absolutely had a blast. This might sound weird to say...but after owning Sony consoles since the ps1 instead of Nintendo...it's sort of refreshing to play something that doesn't involving shooting something.

It’s one of the best games this gen and one of the best Mario’s, yes of course

Are anyone buying the PS4? If u live in Maine, can u guys not buy up all the PS4?

Last year all the Spider Man PS4 were sold out and I was really bummed out about it.

I really dont want to miss out this time.

Are anyone buying the PS4? If u live in Maine, can u guys not buy up all the PS4?

Last year all the Spider Man PS4 were sold out and I was really bummed out about it.

I really dont want to miss out this time.
Gamestop will have the $199.99 PS4 starting this Saturday the 24th, says valid until December 2. Might be easier to find one this year.

https://www.gamestop.com/deals/black-friday-early-deals?utm_source=rakutenls&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_content=Slickdeals+LLC&utm_campaign=10&utm_kxconfid=tebx5rmj3&cid=afl_10000087&affID=77777&sourceID=lw9MynSeamY-wU7WACZBK7xSoWU2TpLl2Q

sold out online at every retailer also?
Yes, last year, every online retailer I checked was sold out. Only place I didn't check was Amazon becuz I don't like Amazon. But GameStop, AAFES, Newegg, Best buy, target, Walmart, were sold out within the first hour. If they did sell it, I did check those websites. I also didn't check Costco or BJ, no membership.

Maine is too cold to be waiting outside, I'm originally from California.

I hope so, I have a feeling it will be easier to find, but IDK. I might have to drive to a different state and be there first thing in the morning when the stores open. These rural states are not like Cali where they stay open all night.

Yes, last year, every online retailer I checked was sold out. Only place I didn't check was Amazon becuz I don't like Amazon. But GameStop, AAFES, Newegg, Best buy, target, Walmart, were sold out within the first hour. If they did sell it, I did check those websites. I also didn't check Costco or BJ, no membership.

Maine is too cold to be waiting outside, I'm originally from California.
If you're from California, shouldn't you be out here to see your family for Thanksgiving?

I hope so, I have a feeling it will be easier to find, but IDK. I might have to drive to a different state and be there first thing in the morning when the stores open. These rural states are not like Cali where they stay open all night.
Stores get a set number of systems in batches. Some will be available prior to Black Friday and then they get another batch. This is a 3 game bundle so it will be a hot ticket item. It would be in your best interest to go to a store before opening but there probably won't be much of a crowd if you're not in a big town/city. Usually the system availability lasts the entire day or near the end of day when it first becomes available.

This is Sony's sale so every retailer has this bundle or an alternate bundle. Your options are to buy it on the 24th or whenever the store you choose has it available up until December 2nd. The sale usually gets pushed a few days later after Black Friday and into Cyber Monday/Week.

Yes!

Well GameStop has a pre Black Friday sale going on from 24th until December 2nd. I don’t know if it’s going to be added here.

Everyone stop what you are doing!    Shenmue 3 releases today!    Be happy and rejoice!       18 years have I waited for this day!    = )    Waiting 4 years from 2015 was easy!      I am ready to play the game today!     Epic! 

Other than the door busters, will the rest of the deals be available online as well?
If yes, when will they go live?

Thanks for an awesome job on this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than the door busters, will the rest of the deals be available online as well?
If yes, when will they go live?

Thanks for an awesome job on this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously, yes. That's why theres a thing called doorbusters in the first place. Half the time doorbusters are online as well

So are there any big places left to hold out hope of a good deal on a Nintendo Switch (newer version)???  It looks like once again Nintendo is giving us a giant middle finger on console discounts.  :(

Is it just me or is the spreadsheet locked down to the point that you can't even make a copy for yourself now? Seems like a crumby thing to do after the community worked together on it.

I’m not a fan of digital, but I will point out that the physical costs of making discs is vanishingly small. When most of the costs were spent on developing the game, it honestly makes sense that digital is priced the same as physical.
You're forgetting the marketing budget gets smaller for digital. Less in store displays, etc. I did a promo for GTA 4 and 5 and red dead redemption undead nightmare where we went around to game stores and handed out posters, t shirts, stickers etc. As they have moved to digital, they've changed their marketing. Plus when they sell through their own online stores, they are cutting out the retailer cut. Plus when they first started going digital last generation, media/discs were still not that cheap. Anyone who modded their 360 knows verbatim's were not cheap.

It's the same thing they are doing with the game subscription services, even Netflix, starts out cheap based on promises of it being cheaper to operate. Then they slowly raise the price over time. Amazon prime used to be $99/yr with 20% off preorders and new games. They took that away and then raised the price citing their prime video production costs. I don't use prime video. Literally the only reason I had prime was for the game discount and free 2 day shipping, which I would gladly drop if I could save money.

I also want to point out another example of where digital was supposed to save people money and the companies just completely fucked over the consumers. College text books. When I went to school in 1998, the prices were ridiculous. Like $150-$200 for some books, and you easily spent $800-1000 per semester on books. You could sell some back at the end of the semester and get like 30-40% back. My girlfriend decided to go back to school. They moved away from physical books because they weren't getting a cut of the resale market. Then there were book rental services, and they weren't getting a cut. So now even if they have a physical copy, they have an online code you need to buy for like $80 to do quizzes online. That Monopoly means they control every market. You can't pirate that shit, they set the prices, and give kickbacks to the professors so they keep using their books. It's a racket, and an ebook costs nothing but bandwidth and the authors time. It costs the publishers pennies to host an ebook.

Haven't kept up with past years really but do Target and Best Buy sell out on games quick online?
Target, it depends on the game. Best Buy, not sure. I'm hoping that I can get what I want without going into a store. Not because of fear, or anything. But, because a big storm is supposed to hit California on Thanksgiving, and I'd rather not be getting completely soaked in it.

bread's done
Back