Black Friday

Black Friday is just too much madness... The campers, the tramplers, the fighters, the screamers, the hoarders, it's insane... And yet I continue to go.

The craziest thing I ever saw was at Circuit City last year when an old lady was standing in line in front of me holding only a Shania Twain album. Of course, on Black Fridays, the lines are so long that they snake through the entire store, back and forth through all the aisles. So moving along through the store, this lady kept picking up random things within her reach and stacking them onto her cart. I guess that store tactic (e.g. magazine/candy racks in supermarkets) that I always laugh at really does work on some people...

Starting with a single CD, she ended up at the register with a couple PS2s, an Xbox, tons of DVDs, games, and more CDs, a DVD player, a VCR, a computer printer, and a surround sound system. Then as she steps to the register, she points to a customer a few registers down and asks her cashier for "that same television set" sitting on the counter. My brother and I were in total awe at this lady's ability to spend like Jermaine Dupri and Jay-Z ("money ain't a thang"). Some of the stuff she bought wasn't even really on sale that day!

I've seen other people buy a ton more stuff than this lady but that was the craziest thing I ever saw simply because it was practically all an impulse purchase. She probably only meant to spend $15, but ended up spending around $4000.

[quote name='rapsodist']Starting with a single CD, she ended up at the register with a couple PS2s, an Xbox, tons of DVDs, games, and more CDs, a DVD player, a VCR, a computer printer, and a surround sound system. Then as she steps to the register, she points to a customer a few registers down and asks her cashier for "that same television set" sitting on the counter. My brother and I were in total awe at this lady's ability to spend like Jermaine Dupri and Jay-Z ("money ain't a thang"). Some of the stuff she bought wasn't even really on sale that day!

I've seen other people buy a ton more stuff than this lady but that was the craziest thing I ever saw simply because it was practically all an impulse purchase. She probably only meant to spend $15, but ended up spending around $4000.[/quote]

LMAO :rofl:

That woman would be a honorary CAG in my book

Hmmm, I just realized I am probably out of luck for any Black Friday deals, I won't have a car since I will be visiting family. Hopefully I can just order some stuff online from my brother's computer if there is anything good. Oh well I guess I don't really want to fight the lines that bad anyways.

[quote name='rapsodist']Black Friday is just too much madness... The campers, the tramplers, the fighters, the screamers, the hoarders, it's insane... And yet I continue to go.

The craziest thing I ever saw was at Circuit City last year when an old lady was standing in line in front of me holding only a Shania Twain album. Of course, on Black Fridays, the lines are so long that they snake through the entire store, back and forth through all the aisles. So moving along through the store, this lady kept picking up random things within her reach and stacking them onto her cart. I guess that store tactic (e.g. magazine/candy racks in supermarkets) that I always laugh at really does work on some people...

Starting with a single CD, she ended up at the register with a couple PS2s, an Xbox, tons of DVDs, games, and more CDs, a DVD player, a VCR, a computer printer, and a surround sound system. Then as she steps to the register, she points to a customer a few registers down and asks her cashier for "that same television set" sitting on the counter. My brother and I were in total awe at this lady's ability to spend like Jermaine Dupri and Jay-Z ("money ain't a thang"). Some of the stuff she bought wasn't even really on sale that day!

I've seen other people buy a ton more stuff than this lady but that was the craziest thing I ever saw simply because it was practically all an impulse purchase. She probably only meant to spend $15, but ended up spending around $4000.[/quote]

thats prolly the saddest thing ive heard all week =o\

[quote name='rapsodist']Black Friday is just too much madness... The campers, the tramplers, the fighters, the screamers, the hoarders, it's insane... And yet I continue to go.

That Grandma probably got all her Christmas shopping done in one store. One smart Grandma with some happy Grand kids!

[quote name='Indiana'][quote name='rapsodist']Black Friday is just too much madness... The campers, the tramplers, the fighters, the screamers, the hoarders, it's insane... And yet I continue to go.

That Grandma probably got all her Christmas shopping done in one store. One smart Grandma with some happy Grand kids![/quote]

unless she got her grandkids ps2 games like godai and crap like that..

[quote name='gamefreak117']Im already anticipating the PC bundle deals at BestBuy. In fact, I'm lining up at 2 am, instead of 4 am last year so I can call the stuff.[/quote]

Are you talking actuall computers or just the compilations they have of PC games? I know last year I picked up a few different ones.

[quote name='captainfrizo']I did most of my Black Friday shopping online last year. EB, Circuit City, Wal-Mart and Best Buy all had their weekend sales (note - not the "Early Bird Specials") up at about 7:00 am.

I woke up at about 6:45, booted up my PC, got something to drink and did my ordering a little after seven. By 7:30 I was back in bed sleeping. I hope they do this again this year. I'll never go shopping in person again unless there's some must have early bird deal.

Unfortunately, this year my aunt might be coming to town for Thanksgiving and she's shops 24/7. Somehow I just know I'll be dragged into driving her around Charlotte all day.

Here's a cool Wal-Mart tip: if you have a Wal-Mart superstore they're called they are usually open 24/7. I went up last year Thanksgiving Day with my dad at midnight (so I guess it was technically Black Friday) and got all the weekend sale items we wanted without the insane lines. Something to look into if you see something you want this year that isn't a early bird since they aren't eligible until the posted time.[/quote]

Now why didn't I think of that about the Walmart thing. Ingenious I tell you. Well, then again they just opened up one of the those "Supercenter" so I may just have to try that out.

I really want a GameCube, would my best bet be to wait to see what comes up for black friday, or are there any other deals worth getting in on now?

[quote name='slidecage'][quote name='Gothic_Walrus'][quote name='swetooth9']hey guys what kind of video game deals do they usually have on black fridays? like 10% off or something?

i forgot what the deals were like last time...[/quote]

HUGE sales, usually. $80 for a Cube with Zelda. $50 for a new GBA. Games for less than $5. It depends on the store, and I've got no idea what will be offered, but it could be worth checking out if you've got something particular in mind...

It's been years since I've done Black Friday, but this is going to be the first year that I can drive. If there's one item that catches my eye, it might be worth checking out. It's usually not worth it, though...[/quote]

never seen games less then5 name a few stores that sold games for less then 5 last year..... I would expect to see GBA for 20 SPS for 70 with game . Then the normal PS 2 xbox packages and the cube at WALMART FOR 80[/quote]

Hmm...the topics on last year's Black Friday have been purged, so no help there.

Best Buy usually has a set of older PC games (and occasionally console games as well) for $5, without fail. The games are usually ones that are more of a "general interest" variety - Monopoly Tycoon, for example. Still, they're games and they're $5.

I could be wrong, but I think that Circuit City usually has some extremely cheap games as well. Not in the $5 level, maybe, but I think I've seen games for $10 or less in their Black Friday ad.

As I said, it's been years since I've gone out, so my memory is a bit fuzzy on Black Friday details...

Gtguru, you might want to wait for BF on the deal because i remeber last year there were some serious markdowns as said in this topic. I'm gonna wait for my Xbox see if i can pick up a cheap bundle or something. This is great, I can find out all the deals here befoerhand. The CAG support system is a wonderful thing.

[quote name='msdmoney'][quote name='Arakias']How about making Black Friday into Buy Nothing Day?
http://www.adbusters.org/metas/eco/bnd/

It really would show how much power people have against the corporate giants. But sadly, it wont take off, I mean, its gotta be worth getting trampled on if you want a $20 DVD player! (which happened to a lady from last year, but she had a history of "being trampled")[/quote]

Thank god we have websites like this saving us from the "evil" corporations. The idea is absurd, just like not buying gas for one day was absurd.

I normally don't shop on Black Friday, because I am too lazy to get up at the crack of dawn to wait in line for a sale that might be sold out before I get to it. Guess I will just have to see if there is anything worth getting up for. Hopefully some of the good stuff will be online.

We should be getting the BF ads soon, lets hope it doesn't turn into a fiasco like it has the past few years (companies suing sites like FW).[/quote]

LMAO, who sued fatwallet?

that is pretty funny

[quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='Mistik']3 weeks and counting.[/quote]

yes, but please let dead topic die. :D[/quote]

You tell him zion. Just wait for when the BF deals are posted. It's not like a Halo 2/GTA:SA thing with an update every week or so.

Does anyone recall if BB/CC had their deals online last year? I went there and they were both, as the Penny-Arcade people put it, batshit fucking loco.

[quote name='slidecage']heard KBTOYS is going to be selling the Gameboy advance (the old ones) for 19.99 from 5-11am dont know if nationwide or just local

Also this is just a PURE RUMOR here in fort wayne dont expect much since alot of stores are not really planning nothing on this day. HH Gregs stopped doing it a few years back and some other stores have started to follow... I remember 5 years ago we would get up at 4am and keep shopping the great deals till noon or 1 but last year there was so few deals we got up at 4 and was back in bed by 8

Edit: many newspapers should have the ads within the next week or two remember its only 5 Weeks from today.... hopefully be playing my DS in 5 weeks ")[/quote]Well, I live in Fort Wayine and I hope its true.

I use to get up really early and go shopping around Fort Wayne. I still remember waiting in line at TRU, for over an hour on that day.

I hope there are some good sales. I know Meijer will run some game sales on Thanksgiving day, where I buy tons of games everywhere, like Ratchet & Clank 1 then 2, and probably 3 this year.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']EB had some awesome deals last year

Max Payne 2 (PC) for 20
GTA:VC (PC ) for 10[/quote]

Yup, that's what I got last year for X-Mas presents.
Thank you Black Friday & EB!

The EB at the South Shore Plaza (Braintree, MA) was DEAD --- nobody was there but me and my parents. Who the heck wants to be up that early in the morn to be a customer? ;)

BTW, both were great games.

I'm looknig forward to seeing what kind of Black Friday Sale EB will have this year. :)

i don't get to shop on BF. i get to work at GS. lucky me,right? we are supposed to have the whole staff there that day, but i doubt that will happen. i don't know of any deals there yet, but if i find out i will post them.

A quick Wal Mart update.

I will get a FULL LIST Monday night for WM's Blitz sale.I will post it Tuesday if HALO 2 allows me to. :twisted:

I can tell you this much:

There is a Care Bear plush toy.DOnt know the price.
A remote control truck.Mid size not the big $99 one for $20
And a fondue pot for $5. :shock:

[quote name='DX']A quick Wal Mart update.

I will get a FULL LIST Monday night for WM's Blitz sale.I will post it Tuesday if HALO 2 allows me to. :twisted:

I can tell you this much:

There is a Care Bear plush toy.DOnt know the price.
A remote control truck.Mid size not the big $99 one for $20
And a fondue pot for $5. :shock:[/quote]

Fondue and care bears? What is WM thinking?

HAHA, I bought Care Bears from Wal-Mart last year. It was a little less than $10 or so if I remember correctly. Maybe less. By the way, the Care Bears weren't mine, they were presents for others. *looks at Funshine Bear*

man looking at the black friday page http://www.bf2004.net/s.php?id=wmart

if these ads are real i will probally stay home some items i wonder

WALMART

Nintendo Game Boy Advance $39.93 If this is the SP great deal if its the Normal GBA its a major rip

Video Now Personal Video Player $20 if the color MAJOR BUY if its the black and white MAJOR RIP

WALGREENS
12 pack AA Walgreens Heavyduty Batteries -- limit $0.99
Hershey Giant Candy Bars $0.25 CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH CANDY

SEARS
Free $10 Gift Card to First 200 Customers $0

we got a walgreens a block from my house so i can walk there the rest of the stuff so far seems like its not worth getting up for ... the Sears thing is a major joke cause they will only have 10 cards per door and people will always cut in front of you.. this happen last year a ayers we got there at 5am (open at 7) when they open the doors they said the gift cards was on the other side of the store and they were all gone by the time we got to the other side. Funny thing is one person was so pissed off they shoved a whole display of items all over the place.. SO far seems like nothing really good

Does anyone know of any Xbox deals on Black Friday? Also, what time do the stores start and about what time do the awesome deals end? And alas, are all the deals online and usually when? Sorry, I'm a bit new at this and I didn't really pay attention the last couple of years so I don't expect exact answers or anything until we get closer. Thanks beforehand!

I saw the list of everything that is going to be in Best Buys black friday ad at work today but none of the stuff had prices. I was kind of disappointed. There werent any dvds that interested me. There are some ok games though. I would scan in the 3 pages but I dont know how useful they would be since they dont have prices.

[quote name='slidecage']SEARS
Free $10 Gift Card to First 200 Customers $0 [/quote]

Not bad, considering MGS3 will be $45 on black friday at Sears, a $10 gift card would bring it down to $35.

[quote name='ryan838']I saw the list of everything that is going to be in Best Buys black friday ad at work today but none of the stuff had prices. I was kind of disappointed. There werent any dvds that interested me. There are some ok games though. I would scan in the 3 pages but I dont know how useful they would be since they dont have prices.[/quote]

Was there a picture of an Xbox bundle by any chance? :p

at bf2004.net it says this deal for costco.com
$200 OFF Maxent 42" 16:9 EDTV Plasma TV (837635) $0
so is that like a mistake or something? cause 42'' costs more than $200

I can't wait, I should have about 500$ saved up for it by the time it hits (Birthday Money + Plenty of Work Money = Uber).

bread's done
Back