BlackSite: Area 51 - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']How can we have such low-frame rate in next gen games? I wouldn't have released the demo in its current state; it's going to scare the customers away.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the game has potential, but I don't think I could play and enjoy it in its current state.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']How can we have such low-frame rate in next gen games? I wouldn't have released the demo in its current state; it's going to scare the customers away.[/QUOTE]

indeed, it's a demo that should have never been released. But then again I don't think too many people even paid attention to this game Till the demo.

the game is 4-5 montsh away, you are nitpicking. the framerate isnt horrible, i woulnt buy it like it is but its not atrocious, definately not somethign that id expect to remain at release. the game has potential, a lot of potential IMO. it FEELS good.

My game froze. Right when I died. As in, My body was mid-flip mid-air, and the whole console froze. Weak.

Wasn't that great, I hate shooters where you have to shoot the piss out of anything to kill it.

I definitely enjoyed the demo...had some framerate issues like everyone else, but for someone who doesn't usually get into FPS games, it definitely has me intrigued!

Some of you need to quit crying about demos not being good enough for release. That's horse shit. Demos coming out months before release are exactly what we need. Expecting Polished demos is retarded. If they can get the demo perfect, they might as well release the game.

I don't think some of you realize how much time it actually takes out of a production schedule to make a demo.

They go through tons of testing and certification just like a whole other separate product. Most demos take around an entire month for most of the dev team.

I, for one, am grateful that these devs took the time to show us a sneak-peak of what they are working on. It's funny that everyone anticipated forza, and is disappointed. While nobody cared about Blacksite, but is pleasantly surprised by this demo now.

Don't worry, that's what the final months of development are for, polishing, getting framerates right, etc. I would much rather have a quick and dirty demo and have them focus on getting the game right than spend too much time making a demo as good as the game.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Some of you need to quit crying about demos not being good enough for release. That's horse shit. Demos coming out months before release are exactly what we need. Expecting Polished demos is retarded. If they can get the demo perfect, they might as well release the game.

I don't think some of you realize how much time it actually takes out of a production schedule to make a demo.

They go through tons of testing and certification just like a whole other separate product. Most demos take around an entire month for most of the dev team.

I, for one, am grateful that these devs took the time to show us a sneak-peak of what they are working on. It's funny that everyone anticipated forza, and is disappointed. While nobody cared about Blacksite, but is pleasantly surprised by this demo now.

Don't worry, that's what the final months of development are for, polishing, getting framerates right, etc. I would much rather have a quick and dirty demo and have them focus on getting the game right than spend too much time making a demo as good as the game.[/quote]

I agree with this 100%. I loved the demo and now am very excited for a game that I didn't give 2 shits about yesterday. The demo did it's job perfectly.

[quote name='Professor Oreo']I agree with this 100%. I loved the demo and now am very excited for a game that I didn't give 2 shits about yesterday. The demo did it's job perfectly.[/quote]

Ditto.

[quote name='Professor Oreo']I agree with this 100%. I loved the demo and now am very excited for a game that I didn't give 2 shits about yesterday. The demo did it's job perfectly.[/QUOTE]
Just played the demo this morning and was shocked by how good it was. Actually, not too shocked, because the last Area 51 game was underrated and a good game. To me, this demo shows what Halo 2/3 should have been. I'd love to see Halo actually being fought on earth, instead of the generic buildings we saw in Halo 2. The frame rate was pretty bad, and it would make the full game unplayable for me, but as said, this is still months away and frame rates are usually one of the last things to get tweaked. Some of the scariest, most intense moments I've seen in a game in a long time.

I thought the demo was good; even though it was short it showed alot of what the game's potential was. My major gripes about it are based around my gameplay preferences. That said, I don't like that I have to unload two clips in an alien to take them down, then unload another 10-15 rounds into the head coming after me. I also have been spoiled by R6:Vegas where I want to be able to take cover and fire at these things instead of opening myself up for attack.

Were there any other weapons in the game? The standard machine gun was alright, but it would have been nice to see more of the weapons that would be available. If I'm going to play an "alien" type game on the 360 I'll be picking up Half-Life 2 Orange. Just my $.02.

Great use of the Unreal 3 engine. Great use of FPS Cliche Heaven.

Pass. Even at half-price.

P.S. I'm no botanist, but I smell at least one plant in this thread. This game looks like the textbook illustration for 'next-gen' mediocrity.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']
Were there any other weapons in the game? The standard machine gun was alright, but it would have been nice to see more of the weapons that would be available. If I'm going to play an "alien" type game on the 360 I'll be picking up Half-Life 2 Orange. Just my $.02.[/quote]There's a pistol you can use. I forget what the button is though to switch weapons. I think it's "Y".

Just finished the demo for the first time last night. That last explosion/sonic boom looked fucking sweet. I'll definately be purchasing this game, had a blast with the demo. Gotta love XBL, playing demo's 3+ months before the game releases :bouncy:

I don't know, I don't quite get the hype. It was an OK demo. OK graphics, OK gameplay. Don't see anything that makes me want it right now. It's another sci-fi FPS... The fact that it will have on-line co-op will get me to buy it, but probably not until it's < $30. Framerate was janky, but I'll chock that up to an early build. I really wanted to take cover a la Vegas or Gears. That seems like an evolution to the FPS that I absolutely want in a game that tries to be tactical or squad based. But in reality, it's very run and gun and the cover system wasn't missed when I get going.

Too short to dismiss it, but I'd definitely argue that it's too short to jump on to the "must buy" mentality too. It did what it was meant to do. It's a "teaser". Nice job to Midway for raising some eyebrows and garnering a little attention.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']New demo coming soon:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=165793[/QUOTE]

They said that Halo 3 will help sales of Blacksite since they both come out in September... hmm....

I'm not so sure of that. People don't pay $60 or more each to go see X-Men then Spiderman. Don't get me wrong, I think Blacksite will be a sweet game, as I loved Area 51, it's just that I think they're way off in believing that releasing their game near the same time as Halo 3 will help their sales.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']E3 Trailer...
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update .

I'll be getting this for sure . The Asshole Ratio will be alot lower for this game , compared to Halo 3 .

[quote name='Richlough']Thanks for the update .

I'll be getting this for sure . The Asshole Ratio will be alot lower for this game , compared to Halo 3 .[/QUOTE]

Very good point, I have almost completely lost interest in Halo 3. I will pick it up for $30 somewhere just for the single player though.

Here's another vid: Helicopter Combat
[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=HdH_vGd5ZmQ[/MEDIA]
Reminds me of the GRAW/GRAW2 chopper sequences, which is good!

November 5th is the new release date:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14944

The new demo LP brought up is mentioned also:

As previously reported, though a brief "vertical slice" teaser demo for the game has already been released, producer Harvey Smith had said -- and executives have again confirmed -- that a new demo will be coming out in the "next few months" which will showcase a more " cinematic story scene."

[quote name='Richlough']The Asshole Ratio will be alot lower for this game , compared to Halo 3 .[/quote]
I would think the asshole ratio for about anything would be less than Halo 3, but I would agree that you would probably get more cooperative gameplay from these players. Personally I'm looking forward to Team Fortress 2, but that has the potential to be an asshat magnet as well.

Stupid Midway.......This game had a slight chance of doing decent if it came out in last week of august. I know I would have considered buying it. But November....there will be such an incredible slate of games coming out, I just can't imagine it doing as well. Although perhaps if overall sales of videogame merchandise is insanely high (which I assume it will be), maybe it'll sell decently.

I wonder what happened to that new demo they kept talking about, I was hoping it would be out before release.

Anyways, game ships tomorrow, who's picking it up?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I wonder what happened to that new demo they kept talking about, I was hoping it would be out before release.

Anyways, game ships tomorrow, who's picking it up?[/quote]I was impressed enough with the demo, as well as the pre-order bonus of the headset at EB/GS that I thought it was worth it.

[quote name='shrike4242']I was impressed enough with the demo, as well as the pre-order bonus of the headset at EB/GS that I thought it was worth it.[/quote]

Did you get the headset yet? If so, did you try it? How is it?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Did you get the headset yet? If so, did you try it? How is it?[/QUOTE]

If its the same headset they gave away with Hour of Victory, no. Its actually a cell phone headset.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Did you get the headset yet? If so, did you try it? How is it?[/QUOTE]

I got it it's a Plantronics like this , with a small Midway M logo on it .

plantronicsgamecomx20.jpg

[quote name='Richlough']I got it it's a Plantronics like this , with a small Midway M logo on it .

[/quote]

Cool, I guess I could use it since I have the adapter for the Halo 2 headset though not sure if this would be better.

I can't wait for this, I have the 360 version preordered at GS because I want the Headset. However my 360 recently got sent to the shop. Do you think it would be possible(and ethical) to get the 360 version with the headset and then return it sealed and buy the PC version?

[quote name='Richlough']I got it it's a Plantronics like this , with a small Midway M logo on it .

[/quote]Same here. I picked it up for the OG Xbox and I like it, though I hate using the OG Xbox headset adapter for it.

Which makes me wonder, as the 360 headset has mute + volume controls on it, I hope this one does as well.

On the OG Xbox, it's a good headset.

[quote name='shrike4242']Same here. I picked it up for the OG Xbox and I like it, though I hate using the OG Xbox headset adapter for it.

Which makes me wonder, as the 360 headset has mute + volume controls on it, I hope this one does as well.

On the OG Xbox, it's a good headset.[/QUOTE]

There's an inline mute that you have to hold down to use .

That's the closest pic I could find .

Rented this game over the weekend and can honestly say that it is solid as a rental, but they definitely have regressed over the previous game's level design, story, gameplay, etc. This one just didn't seem as fun, though I did find the games attempts at social commentary enjoyable. Still, the game can be beat probably in two days or 5-6 hours and this is on its hard mode. Outside of the multiplayer online achievements, there really isn't much going for it. I only wish I would have had more time to play through the game.

I picked this up in the Gamefly sale and it sucks. If the checkpoints weren't so close together it would be unplayable. I've had to reset for glitches three times already. All three times I wasted ten minutes trying to figure out what I was supposed to do before I realized it was glitched. It's even worse because there isn't a FAQ anywhere to help you if you get stuck in a glitch. Your squad's AI is retarded and the enemies aren't much better. I haven't come across anything in this game that hasn't been done better in another 360 game, so I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone at any price. The review scores are overinflated due to the fact that not everyone will run into the glitches.

bread's done
Back