Blast Works: Build, Trade, Destroy - IGN: 8.1, 1UP: A - Share your designs!

I picked this up for $10 the other day and I must say it was worth it. I 1CCed Rookie mode on my first try and ended up unlocking Tumiki and rrootage, the latter of which I've played more than Blast Works! This game got me back into shooters after a lapse. It actually forced me to go out and buy Shiki III yesterday. The main game isn't incredible or anything but for the price, everything is great, no complaints or nothing much.

If you can't find it for $10 at Best Buy, it is officially $20 everywhere.

MAJESCO ENTERTAINMENT’S CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED SHOOTER ‘BLAST WORKS: BUILD, TRADE, DESTROY’ RECEIVES NEW LOW PRICEEDISON, N.J., August 4, 2008 - Majesco Entertainment Company (NASDAQ: COOL), an innovative provider of video games for the mass market, today announced that Blast Works: Build, Trade, Destroy is now available at retailers for the unbeatable price of $19.99. Developed exclusively for Wii™ by Budcat Creations, Blast Works has secured top ratings from major media outlets, including:

• ‘A’ rating from Electronic Gaming Monthly
• ‘A’ rating from 1Up.com
• 9 out of 10 from Destructoid.com that said the game was “fantastic” and “a fine example of excellence in the genre…”
• 9 out of 10 rating from GameZone.com that said Blast Works was “an unrelenting blast”
• 8.5 out of 10 from Nintendo Power that recognizes the game’s “genuinely unique gameplay”
• 8.1 rating and Wii Game of the Month for June from IGN.com that said Blast Works “provides almost limitless replayability”

“Blast Works has been well received by the gaming community as one of the most innovative and creative games for Wii,” said Gui Karyo, Executive Vice President of Operations, Majesco. “With the lower price point, the game is among the best values available this summer and a must-own for hardcore gamers, budding game designers and action fans alike.”

Blast Works is an innovative side-scrolling 2D shooter based on Kenta Cho’s popular online game Tumiki Fighters. Featuring multiple game content editors and the groundbreaking Blast Works Depot website where gamers can post and trade custom content worldwide, Blast Works also features a “sticky” element that lets players absorb the pieces and attributes of enemy ships to boost their own flying arsenal. In addition to 15 missions included in the basic game, multiple Blast Works Editors allow players to construct their own shapes, ships, levels, enemies, movement and bullet patterns. Also, Blast Works lets gamers trade their unique content directly with friends or share their content globally over BlastWorksDepot.com via the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection and WiiConnect24. This website allows players to upload and download community-developed content with other users anytime from anywhere for endless gameplay possibilities.

Blast Works: Build, Trade, Destroy is rated E for Everyone, and is now available for a suggested retail price of $19.99. For additional information, please visit www.blastworksgame.com. and www.blastworksdepot.com.

I'll echo just about everyone and say that this game is crazy hard.

I popped it in today and haven't been able to get past Campaign 3 on Rookie difficulty.

[quote name='snipegod']I'll echo just about everyone and say that this game is crazy hard.

I popped it in today and haven't been able to get past Campaign 3 on Rookie difficulty.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the trick to rookie is to not shrink your attach stuff to the ship too often. There are a couple points later where you can fill up the whole screen, and rack up tons of free guys. I ended up beating the rookie campaign with something like 80 guys (and I'm far from an expert).

The scary part is crushing the rookie campaign, feeling really good about yourself, then barely scraping into the second mission of the pilot (I think it's pilot, the medium difficulty). It'll crush your spirits.

This game beat me down a bit, and I bought Geometry Wars 2 (360). But, I'll get back to this in a week or so. I'd like to open up all of the extra games (at least the other one that I can open on the rookie difficulty).

So, I beat the Arcade mode last night (after using 4 credits ... I don't know how I'll be able to beat the Campaign with none). I went into 5-3 with ~15 lives, was down to 2, and then my ship stack really just grew exponentially and I was up to 99 lives before the end boss.

Really great game, but so damn hard. I'll enjoy trying with this for a long while.

I beat Arcade mode on Rookie. It was my second time playing Arcade mode, and I didn't think it got difficult until 5.2, which siphoned all my lives away.

Thankfully 5.3 was kind and took pity on me.

The game can go from easy to brutal in a heartbeat.

Enjoying rRootage.

I think it's definitely worth the $20 (although I picked it up at $10 and wouldn't have gotten it otherwise despite wanting it because I have too many other games to play).

Although apparently I just suck at it.

[quote name='MorPhiend']Is it too late to get Blast Works for $10? I called my BB and they said it is $19.99.[/quote]

yeah technically it's too late to pick it up for $10 each, although at my BB i grabbed two copies and the tag on the card said $9.99. When I got the the register they rang up for $19.99 each, so they adjusted it, so my guess is you might be able to find it for $10...YMMV

[quote name='blandstalker']I beat Arcade mode on Rookie. It was my second time playing Arcade mode, and I didn't think it got difficult until 5.2, which siphoned all my lives away.

Thankfully 5.3 was kind and took pity on me.

The game can go from easy to brutal in a heartbeat.

Enjoying rRootage.[/QUOTE]

It's funny, your post right here actually got me to pop the game in and go through arcade to open up rRootage. I breezed through Campaign about a week ago, but since I haven't played since, I actually struggled through rookie to open this (managed to get it, but only had about 8 lives left, instead of 90).

Played rRootage for a minute, seems alright, but it was late when I finally opened it, probably give it a bit more time between now and the weekend.

It's sad to think that I probably just won't open up the other games. I wish there was a time lock on each one, so if you can beat the game or play 15 hours, then you get the game. That would have been nice, since right now, I can't survive the first campaign on pilot difficulty.

Just got this via Goozex. I've never been very good a shmups but have always had an affection for them so I figured I'd try this out. The downloadable content is a smashing addition to extend the life of this game and a perfect fit for the Wii. I hope there will be official content to download soon as the quality of the user created levels leaves much to be desired.

[quote name='bmulligan']Just got this via Goozex. I've never been very good a shmups but have always had an affection for them so I figured I'd try this out. The downloadable content is a smashing addition to extend the life of this game and a perfect fit for the Wii. I hope there will be official content to download soon as the quality of the user created levels leaves much to be desired.[/quote]

The GameFAQs board for this gives good recommendations. Zyc... whatever it is... begins with a Zy something... is ace quality. Yoshi's Cave is exemplary. A couple of others are really good.

[quote name='RollingSkull']The GameFAQs board for this gives good recommendations. Zyc... whatever it is... begins with a Zy something... is ace quality. Yoshi's Cave is exemplary. A couple of others are really good.[/QUOTE]

I downloaded that one last night and you're right, it's very well done. The problem with the levels is that there are over 200 of them and you're basically trying to judge them by a single screenshot. It would be nice if SOME of them could be singled out as "official" by Majesco or by a user poll to determine quality. Maybe a contest or two could be an incentive to solicit some good material.

I'm not complaining by any means. Any extra content is like icing on the cake. I'd just like to see some organization instead of just a mish-mash of postings on the board. I'm still hoping for some official support for this game, but after the virtual dumping with the quick price reduction I doubt it's going to happen. Although, for $20, we might get a tidal wave of new users willing to come up with some great stuff.

Is anyone still playing the game? I just picked it up at Target on clearance ($14, a good consolation price for missing the $10 copies at Best Buy), and I like it so far. I haven't even begun to use the editors or the online levels yet, but it's nice to know they're there. :)

Between Geometry Wars, this, and all of the VC games, it feels like shooters have a bit of a renaissance going on right now. It's nice to think that the genre isn't dead yet.

it was on clearance for $12. With all the hype I had to pick it up. I doubt I'll get around to playing it before I finish Geist, No More Heroes and Smash but I thought I'd check in, see what's up.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Is anyone still playing the game? I just picked it up at Target on clearance ($14, a good consolation price for missing the $10 copies at Best Buy), and I like it so far.[/quote]Figure I might pick it up soon.

I picked this up at the Toys R Us sale..It's weird.
See, I am mad that I didn't look into this game more.
127 blocks to save for the editor?!?!?! What the fuck?!

:wall:

:lol:
So I guess this game really shines with user created content eh? Ugh. I am dreading creating 127 blocks of memory :wall:

bread's done
Back