Blockbuster 5 for $20 blu ray back 8/10-ongoing

hawaiiboy

CAGiversary!
Got a email this morning to start 5 for $20 deal immediately. As usual any $9.99 title or less qualifies. There hasn't been a blu ray price drop since the last sale on the 4th of July.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick reply, I guess I was getting my wires crossed with all the discussion of new movies in the thread.

I would be all in for this if I didn't have OCD about the cover art not being correct.

how is the cover art not correct? Unless its a rental exclusive cover art which is like only 1 out of 10 movies, you're getting the actual cover art.

Maybe it's just the store I was at? Every blu-ray was in a DVD sized case and the cover art had a giant blu-ray logo across the top. I know this is not a problem for most sane people, but it bugs me.

BBV does this to ALL of its blu ray rentals. They come in normal size DVD cases with a sheet of blue paper inside with the BD logo on it. If you open up the case, you'll see that the retail/rental cover art is right on top of that blue paper. It sometimes is glued on, sometimes not. The glue comes off very easily. Nothing to worry about!

[quote name='mrwogs2']BBV does this to ALL of its blu ray rentals. They come in normal size DVD cases with a sheet of blue paper inside with the BD logo on it. If you open up the case, you'll see that the retail/rental cover art is right on top of that blue paper. It sometimes is glued on, sometimes not. The glue comes off very easily. Nothing to worry about![/QUOTE]

Bingo. And ah you can pretty much pull the cover art right off the blu sheet. Don't yank it though.

My haul from yesterday:

Halloween 2 (Rob Zombie version)
Jonah Hex
Friday the 13th
The Box
Tooth fairy
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Dear john
Valentines Day
The Road
Where the Wild Things Are

[quote name='stripwhite']I guess Discmakers got the pictures wrong on their site then.[/QUOTE]

I guess they do. I can confirm this because I've made numerous purchases from them.

I went back to look again tonight, and couldn't resist RED CLIFF I & II. Also grabbed ZOMBIELAND, HURT LOCKER, and KICK-ASS.

Totally worth $21.

My store has a couple of STAR TREKs left new, even.

Oh, has anyone spotted MACGRUBER for sale used lately?

Very jealous of the Red Cliff I & II find. Thanks again to everyone setting me straight, I picked up:

The Book of Eli (Rental)
The Town (Rental)
Edge of Darkness (Rental)
Smokin' Aces 2
Bad Leutentant Port of Call New Orleans
Before the Devil Knows Your Dead
44 Inch Chest
District 9
Devil
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Give 'Em Hell Malone
Star Trek
Public Enemies
Pandorum
The Road

Are stores getting new inventory? Is it worth checking to go back? Most store have maybe 1-2 movies I want, and another store may have 1 or 2....I wish I could just combine all my stores together.

Are there any places we can get replacement cases for cheap, with free shipping if possible? Which is better Vortex or Viva Elite? I need to order 10 cases and I'm wondering which type I should order.

[quote name='erehwon']Are there any places we can get replacement cases for cheap, with free shipping if possible? Which is better Vortex or Viva Elite? I need to order 10 cases and I'm wondering which type I should order.[/QUOTE]

Here is a review:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-pcs...akes-them.html

Here is a place to order:
http://www.discmakers.com/
The elite is $0.39 each. Order of 25 is the min. and there is no free shipping.

I have amazon credit so let me know if u were interested and we can share the cost.PM me

I spoke to a Blockbuster manager who related that he was waiting for corporate to give him permission to mark down a whole bunch of Blu's for this sale. This particular store was a dumping ground for stores that closed around it, so they have alot to get rid of. Fingers crossed.

today's haul turned out stellar :)
jumper
the contract
dear John
Give em hell Malone
wicker man (unrated)
44 inch chest
the road
legend of the guardians
toy story SE
Dolan's Cadillac
legion
A nightmare on elm street -2010
Bruno (please forgive)
fearless -DC
The other Man

Only one more trip before i reach my quota. still looking for Dr Parnassus and the princess and the frog

Whats the deal with the rental versions? Anything censored on these discs because of it. Too bad they ruin the disc and cover by putting RENTAL in big ass letters. :(

Got Wall-E for $12. Sucks that it wasn't BD+DVD though. It's my only Pixar Blu-Ray without a slipcover. -_-

I ended up not participating in this B5F20 sale because all the cases were outside and the sun faded the artwork.

Thankfully, inside I found the Avatar extended cut and Notebook limited edition on clearance for $12.99 each. :D

[quote name='El Gray']I went back to look again tonight, and couldn't resist RED CLIFF I & II. Also grabbed ZOMBIELAND, HURT LOCKER, and KICK-ASS.

Totally worth $21.

Oh, has anyone spotted MACGRUBER for sale used lately?[/QUOTE]

I'm going to check the Stockbridge,ga. store tomorrow for anything good i'll let you know if i see any macgruber. Hoping to grab Kick Ass, not sure what else.

Yet again, I bought some more tonight.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Million Dollar Baby
Defiance
Letters from Iwo Jima
The Golden Compass (2 disc)

[quote name='HunteR7411']Whats the deal with the rental versions? Anything censored on these discs because of it. Too bad they ruin the disc and cover by putting RENTAL in big ass letters. :([/QUOTE]

I wouldn't call this censored, but I just watched Hot Tub Time Machine again and realized it was the theatrical version and not the unrated version. The same goes for The Town, The Hangover, etc. They are the theatrical versions and not the "unrated" versions. In the case of The Town, it's missing the 20 or so minutes of footage from the "Director's Cut."

couldnt resist going to another BBV today. althought the pickin's are getting slim everywhere. i probably wont go back until there is a price drop.

Taken
Edge of Darkness (rental)
public enemies
Daybreakers
Clash of The Titans (1981)

could have gotten the godfather II but they didnt have the others. lots of Kick-Ass though in the greensburg IN location.

[quote name='El Gray']I went back to look again tonight, and couldn't resist RED CLIFF I & II. Also grabbed ZOMBIELAND, HURT LOCKER, and KICK-ASS.

Totally worth $21.

Oh, has anyone spotted MACGRUBER for sale used lately?[/QUOTE]

Blockbuster never ordered MACGRUGER on Blu-ray.

If anyone can hook me up with a copy of 9 I would love you guys forever. Just got back from my Blockbuster.

Got
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus(Blu)
The Girl Who Played With Fire(Dvd)
Despicable Me(Dvd)
It's Complicated(Dvd)
My Friends Tigger & Pooh Friendly Tales(Dvd)

Then I Got for 1.99(Don't get ripped off with the 5 for 20, look by the register)
A Nightmare on Elmstreet(F its a RENTAL Dvd)
Temple Grandin(Dvd)
Who Is Clark Rockefelller(Dvd)
Rachel Getting Married(Dvd)

Why Did I Get Married Too?

Was going to get Inception but don't know...heard mixed things. Was wanting other things but done spent too much, but yeah, if anyone finds 9 on dvd or blu just let me know, I want it bad! And cannot find it cheap anywhere.

I finally got to a Blockbuster. Picked up the last Avatar Extended Edition they had. It was on it's side and was still marked $39.99. I also bought Toy Story 3 2 Disc which was marked $12.99. The store was crowded since people were getting stuff to watch because the Hurricane. So I didn't get ta chance to check out the 5 for $20 section.

First time checking out this deal today, didn't get a few that I wanted, but I expected it since this is weeks old.

Taken
The Town
Up In The Air
District 9
Legend of the Guardians

I went to two this past week and ended up with 10 movies:
Layer Cake
Letters to Juliet
Leaves of Grass
Miracle at St. Anna
Persepolis
Pineapple Express
World's Greatest Dad
A Perfect Getaway
Eat Pray Love
The Ghost Writer

I went back one last time and struggled to find 5 this time. I did manage to pick up the following though:

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Drag Me to Hell
Journey to the Center of the Earth
The Spiderwick Chronicles

All are up for trade/sell if the offer's good enough.

I am willing to trade:

Robin Hood
Men Who Stare at Goats
Percy Jackson
Where the Wild Things Are

For Avatar, any edition. These all have inserts as well. I know this is a long shot but maybe someone has two?

I'm such a sucker. Stopped at a BBV I'd been to previously to pick up The Assassination of Jesse James, which I had seen there but stupidly decided to not pick up. Of course it was gone, but I still had to pick up a set of 5 blus. Nothing I really needed of course.

Amelia
Journey to the Center of the Earth
The Heartbreak Kid
Crazy Heart
The Men Who Stare at Goats

stoppped by my local BBV yesterday, still had a bunch of titles left.. picked up

Into The Wild
The Town
Semi Pro 2 disc Unrated
The Wrestler
Lost Boys The Tribe

A Serious Man*
A Team
Slumdog Millionaire
Where the Wild Things Are*
Robin Hood*
Milk
Green Zone
Frost Nixon
Percy Jackson*
The Men Who Stare At Goats*

Anyone want to trade for The Kings Speech on blu? The ones with * next to them I will do a 2 for 1 deal on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Double post but found:

Star Trek (non 3 disc)
Social Network
Taken
Eyes Wide Shut
Imaginarium

I have officially found everything I wanted minus one...

If anyone has The Kings Speech I will trade you.

Just swung by a Blockbuster to kill some time, and hadn't heard they were dong this again.
Picked up Expendables, Friday the 13th (1980), Friday the 13th (2009), Iron Man 2, and Crazy Heart.
Might have to swing out to a couple more stores this weekend to see what else I can find this time around.

Social Network at $9.99 is a price mistake, is my guess. It's $16.99 everywhere I've checked.

[quote name='doodmandood']I found it for sure on blu ray.

I have it in my hand.[/QUOTE]

WHAT IRON MAN 2 is included! Damn saw like 4 copies but all were 12.99 oh well

originally went to BBV to buy some games but decided for Blus instead:

Ghost Writer
Truman Show
Assassination of Jesse James
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Beerfest

[quote name='mrwogs2']Social Network at $9.99 is a price mistake, is my guess. It's $16.99 everywhere I've checked.[/QUOTE]

You may take a look at multiple copies there. I picked up Devil for the 5 for $25 sale, but the sticker on it said $9.99. However, there were other copies of Devil for sale for $16.99. So I don't know if there is any rhyme or reason to which ones are for which price.

bread's done
Back