Blockbuster 5 for $20 blu ray back 8/10-ongoing

hawaiiboy

CAGiversary!
Got a email this morning to start 5 for $20 deal immediately. As usual any $9.99 title or less qualifies. There hasn't been a blu ray price drop since the last sale on the 4th of July.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hawaiiboy']tell him politely he is wrong. price changes always happen on mondays but now stores have to accept them to take effect. up until a couple months ago it used to be an automatic change.

there are 3 sets of price changes just ask him to see one and it tells you on the first page they are effective 9/26. there are some new dvd's dropping (no blus), smurfs stuff dropping and the pre viewed movies.[/QUOTE]

I'm just curious, in your opinion are there any good new dvd drops? Most people on this thread (like me) don't buy dvds anymore, but I'm just wondering if there are any gems like Disney DVDs or wierd DVDs that will never ever have a blu ray release in a million years.

Pick ups for today:

Horton Hears a Who
Social Network
Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
It's Kind of a Funny Story
Love & Other Drugs (rental version........)

[quote name='chronoserge456']Pick ups for today:

Love & Other Drugs (rental version........)[/QUOTE]

..........If the rental version still has high-def Anne Hatheway boob, than that was still $4 well spent ;)

[quote name='Tsel']I swear Love and & Other Drugs should be renamed to The Life and Times of Anne Hatheway's Tits.[/QUOTE]

I think that was the original title for the straight to video classic "Havoc" :applause:;)

Someone on this thread mentions that Love and Other Drugs is a "rental" version, and we get off an an Anne Hatheway titty tangent. ;)

I apologize. I'll try to get back on topic.

Lol we can't help ourselves. I was thinking of picking up Love & Other Drugs, but I think the rental version turns me away from it. It was a decent enough movie, but I watched it with my girlfriend. I'm not sure if I'd ever really watch it on my own again.

It can't be said enough. Thanks for all the info, HawaiiBoy!

Today, I picked up everything I wanted from this sale in one trip.
Easy A
Megamind
The Fighter
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest
Iron Man 2

The one store I checked out yesterday hadn't done the price updates and had a pretty pathetic selection to boot (they only appeared to have TGWKTHN and Easy A). Of course the store I picked these up from actually did their updates yesterday and also had everything I was looking for. I guess I know which store I will be visiting first from now on.

Went to pick up due date, the other guys, takers, and land of the lost along with a DVD and they said they hadn't yet updated the prices and wouldn't until tomorrow or it would be a headache to sticker them if they updated it for me. They did put them aside with my name and are holding them until tomorrow...

I called my store today and spoke with the manager to ask what the deal was (in a nice way, because I didn't understand why the prices hadn't changed) and he explained that they simply hadn't had a chance to perform them yet, so I said I would come in tomorrow. To my surprise he insisted that I give him my list of movies so that he could pull them for me and have them waiting for tomorrow. Not only that but I wanted a few older ones (Chloe, Despicable Me, and Blindside) and he said he would convert tthem for me if they weren't available already.

I was really blown away and I think it might be the best customer service I have EVER received especially considering I was just calling to ask, and didn't complain. Good job BBV you have a new loyal customer!

I brought up 5 movies tagged $9.99 and the cashier told me my total was over $70. It's a long long story, but it took about 15 minutes and a shitload of price adjustments because they didn't want to accept the 9-26-11 price changes. There was a long line of pissed of people behind me and I was getting pissed off too.

Hawaiiboy, is there a logical reason why these employees insisted on retagging all the price stickers before they could accept prices? Is it a policy, procedure, or standard of BBV to operate this way? It seems like a headache to have hundreds of items tagged $9.99 when they ring up $12.99 and $16.99. What if a customer like me decides to actually buy items? The cashier at one point actually told me "these aren't $9.99" when they were all tagged $9.99. I'm never going to that store again.

went to my normal store and they were updated, got takers, other guys, the switch, due date, and a DVD. They didn't have megamind or land of the lost on blu

I went in tonight and had a great experience. Didn't see Megamind otherwise I would have probably picked that up, but I am happy with 10 I picked up.

127 Hours
Buried
Red
The Social Network
Easy A
Due Date
The Other Guys
Unstoppable
The A-Team
The Wrestler

To my excitement, everything was tagged correctly and placed neatly in the stack. Until I found Buried and noticed it said $16.99 still. I played dumb and asked "Is this a part of the deal because it's in the stack yet it's marked $16.99?" He goes on to say that it probably got put there by mistake, but goes ahead and scans it anyway and to his surprise, it rings up $9.99. Thanks HB!

The Wrestler was one that I've seen a lot of people get, but I hadn't ever seen it at my BBV so I was pretty surprised to see it randomly sitting there today.

Now to buy more cases. -_-

Hawaiiboy, is there a logical reason why these employees insisted on retagging all the price stickers before they could accept prices? Is it a policy, procedure, or standard of BBV to operate this way? It seems like a headache to have hundreds of items tagged $9.99 when they ring up $12.99 and $16.99. What if a customer like me decides to actually buy items? The cashier at one point actually told me "these aren't $9.99" when they were all tagged $9.99. I'm never going to that store again.

no it does not make any sense to tag before changing. first thing monday morning i always accept the price changes then when we get a chance we get out there to tag everything.

Where's the best place to get cases besides discmakers? Discmakers requires a minimum order of 25, while I only need 10. I guess I'll buy more if need be, but I'm looking to save money and conserve space.

[quote name='Tsel']Where's the best place to get cases besides discmakers? Discmakers requires a minimum order of 25, while I only need 10. I guess I'll buy more if need be, but I'm looking to save money and conserve space.[/QUOTE]

they sell em at Blockbuster 20 for $5.:lol:

Damn, just bought Let Me In for $9.99 new today. Looks like I'm on my way back to BBV to see if I can exchange it and get it as part of the 5 for $20. This will make the fourth set of movies I've bought since the start of the sale.

Round 1 of the new batch...

127 Hours
Ong Bak 3
Open Season 3 (for the little one)
The Fighter
Salt

Only one I've seen is The Fighter....so, consider me stoked!

Bummed so far - stopped late the last couple nights (Mon/Tues), but they still haven't accepted the price update. My local store has the exact 5 price drop movies that I hoped for.

I'll keep trying. Might try calling during the day and asking the manager nicely. Hope someone doesn't snipe the copy of Hornet's Nest that I've been waiting so long for :)

[quote name='hawaiiboy']no it does not make any sense to tag before changing. first thing monday morning i always accept the price changes then when we get a chance we get out there to tag everything.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that is exactly what I was thinking. I'm just making sure I'm not crazy. I went to two stores today and at both stores they insisted that they have to go through and update all the stickers before they can accept the new prices in the system. At one store they told me to come back at 6:00pm (4 hours later) because at that time he will "probably be finished updating prices."

Hawaiiboy, I'm not blowing smoke when I say that you should be in charge of all the major decisions at BBV. You know the ins and outs of the business better than anyone I've come across at BBV. I have to admit that the new rental plans sound pretty good, especially for students and seniors. Although in hindsight its pretty clear these probably should have been implemented the first year that Netflix became competitive with BBV.

Has anyone tried to explain the reasoning behind the "accept prices" procedure that went into affect a couple months ago? I'm just curious from a business perspective how it could improve anything. I'm currently going to grad school to earn a masters in Information Technology and Management, so I'm always analyzing this kind of stuff.

I suppose that if they make employees accept price changes, then corporate knows when each store "knows" about the price changes. But if this is the case, shouldn't there be some sort of punishment or sequence of events when stores do not accept price updates on their effective date? I can't figure out the logic.

It goes without saying that the new "accept prices" procedure is a clusterfuck for many loyal customers who frequently purchase previously viewed merchandise. It probably effects only a small percentage of people, but it may lead to a significant amount lost revenue. It was pretty annoying for me today to try to get the BBV employees to sell me items for what they were marked. The customers waiting behind me who simply wanted to rent dvds and games were perturbed as well because the reasonable amount of waiting time had passed.

Sorry for all the ranting. Maybe all this information will be useful for a term paper some day. My professor is going to say "what the hell" when he sees "Hawaiiboy" listed as a source on my Work Cited page. :D

I've spent $30 in replacement cases alone since my last two trips. Please HB, tell me this will be over soon and tell me there will no more epic drops while this sale goes on.

I picked up today:

The Other Guys
Unstoppable
Let me in
Megamind
Resident Evil Afterlife

Seems like a ton of movies dropped anyone have a complete list of the new drops?

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Has anyone tried to explain the reasoning behind the "accept prices" procedure that went into affect a couple months ago?[/QUOTE]

My guess is that it's a way to make sure every store is informed about the price changes and updates the stickered prices accordingly (and also to make sure they move those $9.99 and below titles to the 5 for $20 tables). Before, a price change could occur without a store knowing about it unless they looked for that information, and therefore they wouldn't have known to put new stickers on. This procedure requires action by the stores.

Of course, I think Hawaiiboy mentioned that prices update automatically after a certain amount of time if they have yet to be accepted, so in those cases, some stores will still be clueless.

Picked up:

The Fighter
127 Hours
The Other Guys
A-Team
Megamind

Passed on:

Unstoppable
Iron Man 2
Wall Street Money Never Sleeps
The Expendables
Scott Pilgrim

[quote name='buster90']I picked up today:

The Other Guys
Unstoppable
Let me in
Megamind
Resident Evil Afterlife

Seems like a ton of movies dropped anyone have a complete list of the new drops?[/QUOTE]

Check the first post on page 16

[quote name='BingoBrown']
Of course, I think Hawaiiboy mentioned that prices update automatically after a certain amount of time if they have yet to be accepted, so in those cases, some stores will still be clueless.[/QUOTE]

I didn't see that in the original post about the update changes... could you point me to the right post?

(or HB, if you have a sec - is this correct, and do you know what the amount of time is?)

Didn't see iron man 2 unfortunately but still a decent score nonetheless
Machete
Social network
Unstoppable
A team
Easy a

I got the last of many of these even though they had tons pre price changes. I thought nobody went to my location

Finally made it into Blockbuster and grabbed the following:

1. Ninja Assassin
2. Hurt Locker
3. Red
4. Machete
5. Jackass 3
6. Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps
7. 127 Hours
8. The Fighter
9. Planet 51
10. Open Season 3

Nice to grab some great Blus for only $42 and some change! Where is everyone getting their Blu Ray cases from?

[quote name='dashrendar']Check the first post on page 16[/QUOTE]

Thanks found it love these sales and they remind me why to never buy blus new when they first come out.

[quote name='buster90']Thanks found it love these sales and they remind me why to never buy blus new when they first come out.[/QUOTE]

Haha exactly how I feel.

$4 is better than $20-25:D

Picked up:

Easy A (non rental copy)
Salt (non rental copy)
127 Hours (rental)
Social Network (rental - or seemingly disc 1 of a set - although I cant remember if its the same as the one I got for 13 here (the 2 disc set - I suppose it probably is)
Due Date (rental)
The Other Guys (non rental)
The Fighter (non rental)
Iron Man 2 (non rental? Skimpy on the special features anyhow)
Unstoppable (rental)

New location I had never been to had quite a lot - although Ive picked over most everything I have wanted save for a couple... they had most of the new drops (all of those were apart of the new drops) - save for a few Ill look for at my other locations...I think I'm up to 40 or 50 now plus another 10 or so new ones from BBV clearance..

Absolutely pleased with these sales...4.00 blus - excellent. :)\

Also worth mentioning, everything here (and there were a lot of copies of all of them) were stickered properly, but all rang up wrong. He rang the first one, and I was like yeah, I imagine if that one does, all of them will ring up wrong. He updated the pricing right then and there, everything was fine...nice guy..

Discmakers is great. The only downside is if you need a quantity lower than 25, because that's the minimum order you can make. I, myself, just put in my second order this month for some replacement cases. Fast shipping, superb condition, and relatively inexpensive too.

An FYI on rental vs. retail with these BBV blus.

Rental Versions:
127 Hours (about 1.5 hours of special features missing)
Unstoppable (a little over an hour of special features missing)
Jackass 3 (about an hour 15 minutes of special features missing)
The Next Three Days (less than an hour of special features missing, plus a forced trailer at the beginning, you can't hit menu, but it is skippable)
Machete (less than 15 minutes of special features missing)

Retail Versions:
Red (budget retail, no lossless audio and no special features)
Megamind
Alpha & Omega
Secretariat
Takers
The Fighter
Piranha
Ong Bak 3
Easy A
Stone (really skimpy special features, though)

Picked up Megamind, Ong Bak 2/3, Social Network and Iron Man 2 (last one). I should be done at least for this batch of updates.

[quote name='BingoBrown']An FYI on rental vs. retail with these BBV blus.

Rental Versions:
127 Hours (about 1.5 hours of special features missing)
Unstoppable (a little over an hour of special features missing)
Jackass 3 (about an hour 15 minutes of special features missing)
The Next Three Days (less than an hour of special features missing, plus a forced trailer at the beginning, you can't hit menu, but it is skippable)
Machete (less than 15 minutes of special features missing)

Retail Versions:
Red (budget retail, no lossless audio and no special features)
Megamind
Alpha & Omega
Secretariat
Takers
The Fighter
Piranha
Ong Bak 3
Easy A
Stone (really skimpy special features, though)[/QUOTE]

Really? Every single rental copy that i have bought in the past sales are always from Warner Bros, like the Town, the Blind Side, Terminator Salvation, etc.

Regardless, Thanks for the info.

Wow, i thought all the BBV's were closed near me but decided to check around my workplace! Scored 10 late in the game :]

Can anyone tell me if Tron was ever included in these drops? Going back today to get 5 more

I guess I should have known that the Blockbuster was going to remove the original BR Boxes and put the discs in big old DVD boxes with Blockbuster logos on them. Call me crazy but I like having the original box. I went and didn't buy anything.

This fucking sale makes me poor.

The Fighter
Social Network
Unstoppable
Salt
Leap Year (for the lady)

was torn between Expendables, Unstoppable, Salt, and 127 Hours, but I've never seen 127 Hours, and wouldn't watch The Expendables more than once.

DAMN LEAP YEAR

[quote name='stormrage360']I guess I should have known that the Blockbuster was going to remove the original BR Boxes and put the discs in big old DVD boxes with Blockbuster logos on them. Call me crazy but I like having the original box. I went and didn't buy anything.[/QUOTE]

They give you the original covers though to fit a BR case and you can get the cases for less than $1 each online after shipping, so you still come out with a complete BR for less than $5. That's what everyone in this thread is doing. The Blockbuster cases are actually very good quality if you have a use for them but I prefer the smaller BR case to save space.

I was surprised at the amount of 9.99 movies there were at my store. There were at least 15 Unstoppables, 10 Social Networks, a whole stack of 127 Hours, Salts, Expendables, Reds, Fighters, Other Guys, etc. etc.

if anyone would be kind enough to pick up the fighter on blu for me, i'd gladly pay $5+shipping, or trade for something i can still find at my bbv. PM me

Has anyone tried giving the cases back to Blockbuster? You think they would accept them back at the store?
I have been putting off buying BR cases since the first 5 for $20 sale months and months ago, but when I finally get around to it, I'll feel bad just throwing the cases away, like they are just being wasted.

bread's done
Back