Blockbuster Blu Ray Bourne $5 - ?

denshaotoko

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I rented The Bourne Identity from blockbuster for $5 and it says own it on 8/12/09 for $0.00. Can i just keep this for $5 then or is this a common thing/trick?

May be a great deal for a sweet movie if it's for real!

edit: rented The Bourne Supremacy and Ultimatum in the same way today. Supremacy says own it for $0.00 as well though Ultimatum says $29.99.

Since these blu rays are only available as an expensive box set getting 2/3 possibly for $5 each seems pretty good. I'll let the time expire to 'own them' and report what happens if anyone is interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ch2423']Yeah! What's wrong with you guys? An internet forum is no place to ask questions and search for information. Oh wait...[/QUOTE]

I wasn't trying to be an asshole, but if you read any of the previous posts you would know that the same question was asked multiple times. Asking again won't do anything, but fill the thread with garbage that people will have to sift through to get an answer.

[quote name='Scorch']lol @ people thinking they're going to get to keep it for $5 because of a computer glitch.[/QUOTE]

You must be new the BBV glitches. BBV fucks up a lot. And this is no glitch. The system has the movie priced at $0.00 for a new copy. Since this title isn't sold as used, the system will charge you the new price when the movie auto sales. There's nothing the stores can do about this. Nothing at all...

just checked back on this thread, i'm glad i actually found a sweet deal for once!

i am not sure yet if they have charged my CC, i'm not even sure which CC in on my BBV account, it may be my wife's and she's in London for the week. I'll give an update as soon as I know but probably by then someone else will be able to verify if they have been charged or not.

Good stuff if this works. Nice catch OP if this pans out like its supposed to. If not, you will be cursed to eternal damnation, or just forced to read all of the hater posts over and over again.

Just went to my Blockbuster and picked up both Borne Identity and Borne Supremacy. They asked me if I wanted a one-day rental for $2.99 each or five-day rental for $5.99 each. I figured since I was keeping them I'd take the cheaper route, and if it happend to not show up $0.00 on the receipt, I wouldn't have payed as much. But sure enough when I saw those two $0.00's on my receipt, a little part inside of me felt warm all a sudden.

I asked the person that sold me them about the receipt and if it meant I could just keep them, he actually told me it was a glitch in the system. He looked up something, I have no idea what, but told me it would be $29.99 afterwards. I clearly stated that it said they were $0.00 on the receipt and he changed what he said to "It will either bill $0.00 or $29.99 each.". If it does bill $29.99 I'll be sure to take my receipt back for a refund or persuade my case to keep them for $0.00.

[quote name='Frag Rev']Just went to my Blockbuster and picked up both Borne Identity and Borne Supremacy. They asked me if I wanted a one-day rental for $2.99 each or five-day rental for $5.99 each. I figured since I was keeping them I'd take the cheaper route, and if it happend to not show up $0.00 on the receipt, I wouldn't have payed as much. But sure enough when I saw those two $0.00's on my receipt, a little part inside of me felt warm all a sudden.

I asked the person that sold me them about the receipt and if it meant I could just keep them, he actually told me it was a glitch in the system. He looked up something, I have no idea what, but told me it would be $29.99 afterwards. I clearly stated that it said they were $0.00 on the receipt and he changed what he said to "It will either bill $0.00 or $29.99 each.". If it does bill $29.99 I'll be sure to take my receipt back for a refund or persuade my case to keep them for $0.00.[/QUOTE]

*chuckle, sounds like he really doesn't know WHAT it will ring up as. Hopefully someone who has had the 10 days pass by will be kind enough to let us know.

[quote name='denshaotoko']just checked back on this thread, i'm glad i actually found a sweet deal for once!

i am not sure yet if they have charged my CC, i'm not even sure which CC in on my BBV account, it may be my wife's and she's in London for the week. I'll give an update as soon as I know but probably by then someone else will be able to verify if they have been charged or not.[/QUOTE]

you should be able to call up BB and ask them which CC you have on file with them and then check your charges online. I had to do that with them once because I had canceled a card and didn't know which one I had on file with them

You might actually want to check on it being that they only give you 10 days past the "sale" point to return it if the DID charge you. Otherwise you'll be SOL

[quote name='wormraper']you should be able to call up BB and ask them which CC you have on file with them and then check your charges online. I had to do that with them once because I had canceled a card and didn't know which one I had on file with them

You might actually want to check on it being that they only give you 10 days past the "sale" point to return it if the DID charge you. Otherwise you'll be SOL[/QUOTE]

It's actually 30 days. The way it works is 10 days after the due date, you get charged for the movie. Once you get charged, you have 30 days to return it or you are SOL. If you do return it within that 30 day period, you will get refunded minus $1.25.

[quote name='DarkRider23']It's actually 30 days. The way it works is 10 days after the due date, you get charged for the movie. Once you get charged, you have 30 days to return it or you are SOL. If you do return it within that 30 day period, you will get refunded minus $1.25.[/QUOTE]

Actually I just checked my receipt. it says 10 days after rental is sale and 10 days after that to return it to the store for a refund (minus the surcharge and any late fees/daily rental fees accrued)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='wormraper']Actually I just checked my receipt. it says 10 days after rental is sale and 10 days after that to return it to the store for a refund (minus the surcharge and any late fees/daily rental fees accrued)[/QUOTE]

Is the store you rented at a franchise store? Look at the top of your receipt. If it says franchise, that might be it.

Company policy is 30 days, regardless of what the receipt says, unless your renting at a franchise store. Franchise stores usually do certain things differently.

Edit - Or you might be in a test market that's doing things differently.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Is the store you rented at a franchise store? Look at the top of your receipt. If it says franchise, that might be it.

Company policy is 30 days, regardless of what the receipt says, unless your renting at a franchise store. Franchise stores usually do certain things differently.

Edit - Or you might be in a test market that's doing things differently.[/QUOTE]

Nah, it's the full Blockbusters Inc, not a franchise. Most likely it's a test market being that we're doing the $1.99 blu ray rentals here. Just started on the 14th of this month.

Here's the receipt (got it scanned in case I need to send to my CC company :D )

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/6793/bourneblockbusterreceip.jpg

[quote name='wormraper']Nah, it's the full Blockbusters Inc, not a franchise. Most likely it's a test market being that we're doing the $1.99 blu ray rentals here. Just started on the 14th of this month.

Here's the receipt (got it scanned in case I need to send to my CC company :D )

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/6793/bourneblockbusterreceip.jpg[/QUOTE]

That's definitely it then. I really hope my store doesn't start doing the 1-day rental thing. It'll just be a hassle for us and the customers >_

Unfortunately I don't have a BB membership but did go inside the neighborhood store and the Bourne's were all out anyway. That being said how does the buy program work. Reading posts it seems like you get 5 days for rental (1 day in some select markets) and after the 10th day if it's not returned they automatically charge you for the disc, whatever it states at the bottom. I'll use the Amityville Horror price someone listed before: $1.99 to rent and $2.99 to purchase = $5. What happens with the days in between from when the disc was to be returned and the 10th day? Wouldn't there be a late fee for the days in between plus the price of the disc or would they just charge you the price of the disc? I mean those are days when they could've rented to someone else.

I just went and rented Identity and Supremacy, but it says "Keep on the 29th for $34.99"

Is the deal fixed in the system?

[quote name='dabamus']I just went and rented Identity and Supremacy, but it says "Keep on the 29th for $34.99"

Is the deal fixed in the system?[/QUOTE]

They might have fixed the system if it's showing up as $34.99. DarkRider23 might be able to confirm or deny that.

ugh i guess they finally caught on...anyone know how this may affect those of us that already have the receipts marked at 0.00?

Is there anywhere online I can check my fees for my blockbuster card or do I have to go to the store to see what they charged me after 10 days?

[quote name='Frag Rev']Is there anywhere online I can check my fees for my blockbuster card or do I have to go to the store to see what they charged me after 10 days?[/QUOTE]

just check your online credit card activity with whatever credit card you have on file with them. That's what they'll do is just charge it to the CC on file that you signed up with

Even if this works ... you don't get charged a late fee?
Like the scanned receipt shows, due date is the 17th but the own it date is 26th. 10 days late? Bypasses the late fees then makes it a sale?

[quote name='ti33ii']Even if this works ... you don't get charged a late fee?
Like the scanned receipt shows, due date is the 17th but the own it date is 26th. 10 days late? Bypasses the late fees then makes it a sale?[/QUOTE]

correct.

[quote name='ti33ii']Even if this works ... you don't get charged a late fee?
Like the scanned receipt shows, due date is the 17th but the own it date is 26th. 10 days late? Bypasses the late fees then makes it a sale?[/QUOTE]
If you return the movie before it is sold to you (the own it date), no charge. If it sells, it normally would sell for say, $30, and then if you return it within 30 days it's refunded less $1.25 restocking fee. If it sells for $0 and you don't return it, there is nothing; you bought it for $0. I'm curious if you did return it, would you have a restocking fee?

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']I'm curious if you did return it, would you have a restocking fee?[/QUOTE]

Not 100% sure, but I would think that yes, you would be charged the restocking fee.

[quote name='adrian42677']Unfortunately I don't have a BB membership but did go inside the neighborhood store and the Bourne's were all out anyway. That being said how does the buy program work. Reading posts it seems like you get 5 days for rental (1 day in some select markets) and after the 10th day if it's not returned they automatically charge you for the disc, whatever it states at the bottom. I'll use the Amityville Horror price someone listed before: $1.99 to rent and $2.99 to purchase = $5. What happens with the days in between from when the disc was to be returned and the 10th day? Wouldn't there be a late fee for the days in between plus the price of the disc or would they just charge you the price of the disc? I mean those are days when they could've rented to someone else.[/QUOTE]

This is the way my BB works:

Rent for reg. price: 7 day rental

When that's up: 7 day grace period

After that (14 days out): they "charge" you the full price and give you a final 30 days to return it

If you return it within the 30 days they will refund the "charge" but still charge you a 1.50 restocking fee

If you keep it past the 30 days (a total of 44 days out) then it is actually charged to your credit card and the movie cannot be returned.

The last time I rented a movie and had it out past the due date I received a phone call stating "Please return ____ by ____ unless you want to be charged a fee of _____" I'm actually waiting for that now.

I picked the rentals up on 8/13 and today is the 'Own it on 8/23 for $0' day. I received a phone call about them yesterday, automated, but it neglected to say _how much_ I'd be charged, just that I _would_ be charged.

Still no charge on the card, though it is a Sunday..

got the automated phone call today. called blockbuster corporate to ask. they were able to look up my account, see that i had rented the movies and said the keep it price has already been paid for.

[quote name='soonerdoc']got the automated phone call today. called blockbuster corporate to ask. they were able to look up my account, see that i had rented the movies and said the keep it price has already been paid for.[/QUOTE]

did they list what the "keep it price" was?? basically did you get charged or was it $0.00??

[quote name='wormraper']did they list what the "keep it price" was?? basically did you get charged or was it $0.00??[/QUOTE]

he said "the price is 4.99....which you have already paid"

I have the monthly unlimited plan. Is there any way I could rent the DVDs and just hold onto them? Perhaps I will try to keep one of them at the end of my month.

[quote name='plong']Got the phone call today. Thanks to soonerdoc's post, I am feeling more confident about winning this deal.[/QUOTE]

ditto, today is my "own it" day. I'll check on my credit card the next few days to make sure.

Goood, goooood. My own it day is the 29th. Lets see what happens. More importantly, did anyone every try this with Spiderman 1 and 2? I would say it is almost bound to work the same way... Hmm...

[quote name='mediviper']Goood, goooood. My own it day is the 29th. Lets see what happens. More importantly, did anyone every try this with Spiderman 1 and 2? I would say it is almost bound to work the same way... Hmm...[/QUOTE]

It won't.

glad i didnt BS and got these right after this thread was posted. from looking @ the results looks like ill be needing some extra bluray cases. good looks OP

[quote name='joshthegreat69']Has anyone had any issues with this? I got a charge on my account for $75 and I assume it was for the two Blu Rays. That's a ridiculous sum.[/QUOTE]

when did you rent them?

No charges here either. If you were charged, and it was for the blus and you have a receipt that states it's a 0 charge, make that phone call. Threaten legal action. They can't legally charge your card like that.

bread's done
Back