Blockbuster says it may not be able to continue

mtxbass1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (100%)
[quote name='"the article"']
NEW YORK - Movie rental company Blockbuster Inc. said Monday the risk that it may not complete financing deals raises “substantial doubt” about its ability to continue as a going concern.Dallas-based Blockbuster, which has struggled amid the rising popularity of DVD-by-mail services like Netflix, disclosed the warning in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The company had already cautioned last month that its auditor was likely to raise doubts about its ability to stay in business.
[/quote]

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30076153/

We might FINALLY be seeing the end to Blockbuster sooner, rather than later.

Edit: mods, can you move this to deal discussion?

Yeah, I had terrible experience renting at block buster and haven't been to one for around 8 or 9 years now.

I'll never use a rental store again. Just no reason with Netflix, On Demand movies etc. Better selection, don't have to leave the house, deal with traffic, late fees, saying movies weren't returned when they were etc. etc.

So I have nothing to offer when they go under other than good riddance.

The only thing that will suck is more people will be out of jobs (Can you smell the 10% average unemployment? Woo, 1/10 people jobless. YAY!) otherwise just like CC good riddance.

Wow, that sucks. I just started to rent from Blockbuster, not to mention some games retail there less then other stores which made me happy.

eh they will probably jst get rid of stores and do it all online. this would have been great news over a decade ago becase blockbuster killed the evil eye videos of the world. i miss mom and pp video stores..........and the dirty sections lol.

In my experiences I haven't found Blockbuster enjoyable...decided a few months ago I wouldn't be going back unless they have some really good deal which is very rare. Their rentals always seem more expensive, employees can be rude, and their return policy suck, even if the used game you buy is full of crap, scratched, and with no manual.
I even once returned something new and sealed and even then they were complaining

You know, my brother-in-law was told not to go back when he was there recently.

Some woman that worked there said she saw his kids steal candy while he and his wife were there. The problem was that that wasn't his wife and their son (my nephew was only 18 months old when this happened). My sister was at home with her son the day he was accused of this. The dumbass employee looked up my brother-in-laws account number and called him to tell him not to come back. I guess this was because he was the next person in line before the other woman and her stupid kids. My sister and her husband actually got a hold of the district manager and set things straight. They were probably just gald they didn't sue them.

Years ago an employee bitched about me returning a used game because it was scratched up. I opend it the second I got in my car and saw how bad it was and went right back inside. She actually had the nerve to tell me that maybe I shouldn't buy used games then. I never went back. That was around 1998 IIRC.

Good thing I just used my $50 GC yesterday. The only bad thing is going to be if you want to watch something immediately and it's not on netflix on-demand.

[quote name='kainzero']it costs like $8 to rent a game there. that's ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much why I stopped renting games from there. I remember back in the day they were cheaper, AND, there seemed to be coupons around. Rent 2 get 1 free = good time gaming weekend :D

I use Blockbuster.com rather than Netflix, mostly because I'm grandfathered into a decent plan that gives me a free game rental every month and gives me unlimited exchanges. Now that they've changed the way exchanges are handled, though, it's getting worse... Still, Netflix just raised their blu-ray plan prices so BB is still looking like the better deal to me, even with their change. My guess is that BB will just close their stores and keep their online plan for as long as they can... especially since the changes they've made to their in-store exchange policy and the fact that they're supposedly going to offer games through their online service soon, there's not really much reason to go to a store any more.

Use up any gift card/trade in credit now. Who knows if they will accept it once they start liquidating. I used up all my left over trade in credit back in December.

A few years ago, I might have cared. With their current pricing structure, I won't miss them a bit. Netflix ftw.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']It's seriously $8 to rent a game there now? Jesus christ. Haven't rented from them in years. Guess I'm not missing anything.[/quote]Yeah, I think it must have gone up a buck recently, though I never really pay attention to the prices since in-store exchanges and coupons make every transaction free.

Only business I've done with them in years was trading in Rock Band 1 and putting the credit towards Rock Band 2. I bought the occasional used game from them around '99-'00 but those stupid stickers they put on the PlayStation CDs eventually turned me off.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']You know, my brother-in-law was told not to go back when he was there recently.

Some woman that worked there said she saw his kids steal candy while he and his wife were there. The problem was that that wasn't his wife and their son (my nephew was only 18 months old when this happened). My sister was at home with her son the day he was accused of this. The dumbass employee looked up my brother-in-laws account number and called him to tell him not to come back. I guess this was because he was the next person in line before the other woman and her stupid kids. My sister and her husband actually got a hold of the district manager and set things straight. They were probably just gald they didn't sue them.

Years ago an employee bitched about me returning a used game because it was scratched up. I opend it the second I got in my car and saw how bad it was and went right back inside. She actually had the nerve to tell me that maybe I shouldn't buy used games then. I never went back. That was around 1998 IIRC.[/quote]

nobody should buy used games it hurts the game developers you all should be ashamed of yourselves....... that being said ive never liked BB but went to it a few times beause it killed off all the mom and pop places. renting movies is kind of a dying thing anyway. i wonder if many families even do movie nights anymore.

It's been $8 for at least a year now. If anything, it's the prices and slightly dumb practices that's killing the joint. They could have easily brought down both Netflix and Gamefly in the same move, but nooooooooo...

As much as I loved Netflix when I had it, it got old after 3 months because I'd gone through everything in my queue, including stuff I loved, stuff I'd been wanting to see, and experimental stuff. I finally canceled it last month because there was no reason for me to keep it. That last month I felt guilty for having it since I didn't really rent anything.

[quote name='lokizz']...renting movies is kind of a dying thing anyway. i wonder if many families even do movie nights anymore.[/QUOTE]

Renting movies isn't a dying thing. Physical rental stores are a dying thing, rendered useless by Netflix and Redbox which are much cheaper and more convenient.

[quote name='VioletArrows']
As much as I loved Netflix when I had it, it got old after 3 months because I'd gone through everything in my queue, including stuff I loved, stuff I'd been wanting to see, and experimental stuff. I finally canceled it last month because there was no reason for me to keep it. That last month I felt guilty for having it since I didn't really rent anything.[/QUOTE]

I'm always puzzled a bit buy those kind of comments. I've had Netflix continuously for going on 3 years and my Disc queue currently has 113 items and my Instant Watch queue 57.

But I guess some people just aren't as into movies or only watch major new releases etc. Mine stays full with new hollywood releases, TV series, indie films, classics, foreign films, documentaries etc.

Yeah, I'm pretty much not a big movie/tv person (I go to the movies maybe once or twice a year!). I guess through the entire time I had it, I watched about 70 movies and shows, though my recommendation list says I rated 600 and tried to get me to watch stuff I'd already seen and hated. It also tapered off towards the end because I cut a deal with my internet service guy and he turned on my cable for free without Comcast knowing.

Yeah, that's understandable. No need for a Netflix subscription for you--maybe just get one for a few months every couple of years if you want to catch up on stuff you wanted to see. Or just grab a movie from Redbox every once in a while.

Movies are my main hobby, I won 300+ DVDs/BRs, catch at least 1 or 2 movies a month in the theater and get through 1-3 movies a week from Netflix. Used to watch more but have gotten busier the past couple of years!

[quote name='kainzero']it costs like $8 to rent a game there. that's ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit... I remember when it was like $5. Plus they had that one problem for $20 a year where for every 5 games you rented, you got 1 free.

[quote name='Warner1281']$9 as of last week. :roll:[/quote]
That's ridiculous as one can get a Gamefly account for a month at that same price and get 2/3 games for that whole month. That isn't including gas costs also.

bread's done
Back