Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

Nice to hear it went well. It's $19.99 @ Amazon right now, though I think I'm going to wait it and see if it goes cheaper over the holidays.

Always good to get some nice reference material with deep blacks to test out on my main TV.

[quote name='neocisco']I sent my Gladiator disc in a few weeks ago. The turnaround time on it was less than 2 weeks and it came in via FedEx. A pleasant experience.[/QUOTE]

Wait, people have already gotten these replacements?

When were the details given out? Last I saw there was the PHV phone # to call and leave your info. I never heard anything back.

Well it is Jim so I think he knows what he is doing. I only expect the best in video quality from him and I'm sure that if the fans would not like it he would not let it out.

[quote name='manthing']Wait, people have already gotten these replacements?

When were the details given out? Last I saw there was the PHV phone # to call and leave your info. I never heard anything back.[/QUOTE]

Here's the post that shrike linked to a few weeks back. BTW, I checked my postage dates and my disc had a total turnaround time of 8 days. That's from GA to CA and back.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, courier, *]Also today, we've heard from a couple Canadian Gladiator BD fans who report that they tried calling the U.S. Paramount customer service number (888-889-9456) and were told they TOO could send their original Disc One to the U.S. address for exchange. So, to repeat: For U.S. AND CANADIAN consumers, mail Disc One of the old Blu-ray ONLY to...

PHE MKT
c/o Deluxe Media Mgmt
PO Box 801464
Valencia, CA 91380-1464

Enclose your name, address and phone number. They'll send you back the new remastered Disc One in about 4 weeks. Hope that helps you readers North of the border.
[/FONT]

Did anyone here pick up The Office Season 6? I'm having difficulty with the frame jittering and sound dropping out during the Universal logo opening and in select episodes. I found one or two similar complaints online, but nothing exactly the same.

This is the second set I've picked up with the same problem. I'm running it on an LG BD-570 with the newest firmware.

I've tried as well on my PS3 and the discs run faster and I don't experience the glitch (so we're watching it there for the time being).

EDIT: Skips a bit on the PS3 too, but in different places. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Iovsoft Blu-ray Copy will help you copy Blu-ray to your disk or another Blu-ray disc at 1:1 ratio with HD quality, and it also completely compresses the Blu-ray to your Blu-ray DVD. What’s more, you will choose to copy 100% content or only the main movie (i.e., except the contents of NGs, introductions for the beginning and the end of a movie, etc.) of the Blu-ray. If you copy Blu-ray movie to a Blu-ray disk without burning it to another Blu-ray disc, it will give you a note next when you run the software[FONT=&#23435]—“Do you go on burning the Blu-ray movie[FONT=&#23435]?[/FONT]”
[/FONT]

Iovsoft Blu-ray to DVD Copy is a good tool for you to convert Blu-ray to DVD format and then burn it to DVD disc with HD quality. And it can compress the movie on Blu-ray to DVD (e.g., DVD5, DVD9). Moreover, you will choose the language of soundtrack and subtitle for the output format before copying Blu-ray to DVD discs..
Besides, both of these two copies support all popular Blu-ray burners and it is completely compatible with all Windows, including Win 7 64bit.

cd-to-mp3-converter.com/blu-ray-copy.htm
cd-to-mp3-converter.com/blu-ray-dvd-copy.htm

Anyone a DisneyMovieClub member? I got an email telling me if I join I would get 3 blu ray movies for $1.99 with FS and if I wanted to get the 4th for $19.95.

I also read that if I'm a member I have to buy 5 blu rays in 24 months to continue the membership. Or if I get that 4th blu ray, I'm set for the 24 months.

I was wondering if anyone got their 3 or 4 blu rays for cheap and then canceled their membership with no problems? Thank you.

"As a Disney Movie Club member, all you need to do is buy 5 movies at regular Club prices in the next 24 months (starting at $29.95 per Blu-ray disc), plus shipping and processing of $3.95 for the first title in each order, and $1.49 for each additional title in that same order. You may cancel your membership at any time after purchasing the 5 movies."

The movies you get on the cheap to start do not count toward your membership fufillment. Stay away.

[quote name='neocisco']It's like the old Columbia record club. It's a complete rip-off. Like klwillis45 said, stay away.[/QUOTE]
Yep club movies are also MSRP plus shipping. Additional titles ordered with your movie are at a disount which is negated by shipping and cost of 1st full price title.

The additional discounted titles (club priced titles) also don't count towards your fulfillment requirements. Unless you are ordering lots of old Disney DVD's it's not a good deal. If you are doing Disney movie rewards I think you also get 500 points for joining but only if you click-thru and offer link.

My wife joined, I'm glad we are done with it.

I picked up a BDP 1600 months ago for $150 with a $50 BBy GC.
Some people really hate this player, I updated my firmware before I ever even used it and have had none of the reported problems. It requires an Ethernet connection, media bridge, or the optional wireless USB adapter.

Cheap is a relative term, I can't think of any that would be sub $100.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']I picked up a BDP 1600 months ago for $150 with a $50 BBy GC.
Some people really hate this player, I updated my firmware before I ever even used it and have had none of the reported problems. It requires an Ethernet connection, media bridge, or the optional wireless USB adapter.

Cheap is a relative term, I can't think of any that would be sub $100.[/QUOTE]

Cheap = $100 or under
Good = no big problems/issues
I have no need for wifi. I have a ethernet cord I can plug in.

I was going to get a Toshiba BDX2500 for $90 from Amazon but the price shot up to $118 before I could pull the trigger.

Could anyone with the 3-disc Iron Man 2 combo pack check the size of the DVD disc on their computer? I'm guessing I can expect the quality of a single layered DVD as it includes a digital copy but I'd love to know regardless. I'll be getting it in the mail this coming Tuesday.

Man... Blus are really falling off on price. Good to see. Well, I take that back. I got Bottle Rocket and Darjeeling Limited today for over 50. That ain't so hot.

[quote name='shrike4242']Inception gets a release date, December 7th:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5301[/QUOTE]

Aww crap, my RZ certificate expires on the 4th of December #-o. Prices are updated on a website which is the 5th, one day after my certificate expires, so no go on in-store pick-up. So unless the ad-price is up the website for preorders, it's double #-o for me.

Hell has officially frozen over:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5326

For the link lazy:
[quote name='From BluRay.com']The upcoming Blu-ray edition of Toy Story 3 includes a flyer announcing that another Pixar production, The Incredibles, will be released on Blu-ray in the spring of 2011, in a BD/DVD/Digital Copy combo pack. The Toy Story 3 disc also features a trailer for The Incredibles. Other release details are still unknown.

Thanks to forum member "Sithlord75."[/quote]

Pixar has finally pulled their head out of their backside on this one.

I think I'm the only one who just didn't love The Incredibles :cry: I mean, I liked it..but it just didn't give me the happiness that Pixar usually does. I really didn't like Monsters, Inc. at all, but I 've heard several people say that too.

[quote name='shrike4242']Hell has officially frozen over:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5326

For the link lazy:

Pixar has finally pulled their head out of their backside on this one.[/QUOTE]

update-high-five.gif

Not sure of this would deserve its own thread, but BTTF is getting a fancy collectors tin edition in the UK for about £42 (~$63 here) at Amazon.co.uk. Comes with a bunch of extra stuff like posters, a photo of the McFly family, a small number plate, and more. It's only a little more than the US edition, so I bit on that.

It's region free if you're curious.

P.S. Here's a little fun fact, in addition to the collectors tin, Universal also made a Delorean Edition which came with a model time machine. Except that the build quality of it for the UK was so bad, that Universal scrapped it. Other regions should still be getting it like France, Germany, and Mexico, but I may be off.

WARNING! Before anyone pisses away money on the Back to the Future trilogy. It's Gladiator and Lord of the Rings all over again.

[quote name='shrike4242']First review of Back To The Future that I've seen so far:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Back-to-the-Future-25th-Anniversary-Trilogy-Blu-ray/9152/#Review

Looks very very good.[/QUOTE]

This review is crap. They were obviously paid off; very disappointed in Blu-ray.com for pushing out this shit. It reminds me of High Def Digest's "Scary Movie" review. 4.5/5 stars for video quality... lmao... anyone who's seen that disastrous wax fest knows what I'm talking about.

As you can see for yourself:
http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/85377/
http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/85415/

Back to the Future 1 & 2 just look like ass. They obviously used the old 2002 transfer for the DVDs instead of doing a modern scan with 4k equipment. Then, to add insult to injury, they plastered on all kinds of DNR and edge enhancement. It wouldn't have been so bad if they just threw the mediocre transfer on there untouched; but no, they had to go and make it look even worse.

Back to the Future 3 is a slightly different story. It was clearly worked on in a different manner, evident by its AVC encode vs. the first twos VC-1 encode. It's the only one out of the trilogy that looks better than the HDTV capture - though not by a significant margin.

The Canal+ Film HD captures are 17 mbit/s H.264 captures from a European satellite channel; there is no excuse for them to look better than the Blu-rays other than pure incompetence.

Don't reward these douchebags with your money. Back to the Future deserves better.

[quote name='Xizer']WARNING! Before anyone pisses away money on the Back to the Future trilogy. It's Gladiator and Lord of the Rings all over again.

This review is crap. They were obviously paid off; very disappointed in Blu-ray.com for pushing out this shit. It reminds me of High Def Digest's "Scary Movie" review. 4.5/5 stars for video quality... lmao... anyone who's seen that disastrous wax fest knows what I'm talking about.

As you can see for yourself:
http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/85377/
http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/85415/

Back to the Future 1 & 2 just look like ass. They obviously used the old 2002 transfer for the DVDs instead of doing a modern scan with 4k equipment. Then, to add insult to injury, they plastered on all kinds of DNR and edge enhancement. It wouldn't have been so bad if they just threw the mediocre transfer on there untouched; but no, they had to go and make it look even worse.

Back to the Future 3 is a slightly different story. It was clearly worked on in a different manner, evident by its AVC encode vs. the first twos VC-1 encode. It's the only one out of the trilogy that looks better than the HDTV capture - though not by a significant margin.

The Canal+ Film HD captures are 17 mbit/s H.264 captures from a European satellite channel; there is no excuse for them to look better than the Blu-rays other than pure incompetence.

Don't reward these douchebags with your money. Back to the Future deserves better.[/QUOTE]Your links fail to load at the moment, so it makes it hard to see what you're talking about.

Also, do you have some reviews or other pic comparison links that back up your statement?

Then there's the fact that I have personally watched both the Canal caps and the Blu-rays, and I was extremely disappointed in them. I would never pay for this Blu-ray set in its current state.

The AVS Forum guys bring up an excellent point. Try watching The Rocky Horror Picture show, an example of a stellar transfer of a '70s film, and then watch this crap. You will be amazed at the difference a good transfer on modern equipment that's left alone will make.

The Wizard of Oz Blu-ray is another one that looks leagues better. That movie was made before World War II. "B-b-but it was made in the '80s!!" is a dumb excuse.

Well, so much for the "glowing" review of BluRay.com on that one. Time for bargain bin territory for me. Leave it to AVSForum to be the kings of the screen cap comparisons.

I bet you it'll still sell a whole bunch of copies to people that don't know any better.

Yeah, I wasn't personally interested in the set, but I like to read up on most, if not all Blu releases to see who's doing what right and see how the super-strict guys feel about the transfers.

The sad part is many people buckle under the whole "well this is the best we'll get" argument, but if poor transfers sell, then the movie companies will be even less likely to change their ways

I thought at first you were all talking about the Alien set that is to come out. I'm glad it was the BTTF set. Well I'm not but I am. Sucks the set is going to be the quality that it is. Maybe if enough people bitch about it and the lack of sales they will fix it.

[quote name='lolwut?']Yeah, I wasn't personally interested in the set, but I like to read up on most, if not all Blu releases to see who's doing what right and see how the super-strict guys feel about the transfers.

The sad part is many people buckle under the whole "well this is the best we'll get" argument, but if poor transfers sell, then the movie companies will be even less likely to change their ways[/QUOTE]I was very interested in it, and I decided to to wait on it until BF or there about, and now I'm glad I did.

With all the press this one is getting as a "big" release, it's disappointing that Universal dropped the ball on making it look great. There's numerous movies older and younger than BTTF that look fantastic on BR, and there's no reason why this one couldn't look as good as those titles.

[quote name='DestroVega']don't know what to say about all this.[/QUOTE]How about "let's wait on buying this"? That sounds good.

it all seems a bit odd still. esp since both hi def digest and bluray.com gave glowing reviews, ill just wait to see if they clear it up.

EDIT: Ign even gave it a great review and i trust ign. something is definitely up.

[quote name='shrike4242']Well, so much for the "glowing" review of BluRay.com on that one. Time for bargain bin territory for me. Leave it to AVSForum to be the kings of the screen cap comparisons.

I bet you it'll still sell a whole bunch of copies to people that don't know any better.[/QUOTE]

The "unofficial" website has to keep things positive.

bread's done
Back