Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

^ Uh, no thanks to that.

Figured it was a long shot at this point. I'll be seeing the movie anyway and thought it would be a good way to justify the purchase of one of the other blu-rays. Guess I'll keep waiting on those. Thanks anyway!

I purchased my first ever blu ray, The Departed via Amazon for under a dollar

Item Subtotal:

$1.34

Shipping & Handling:

$3.99

Total Before Tax:

$5.33

Reward Points:

-$4.40

Order Total:

$0.93

I purchased my first ever blu ray, The Departed via Amazon for under a dollar

Item Subtotal: $1.34 Shipping & Handling: $3.99

Total Before Tax: $5.33

Reward Points: -$4.40

Order Total: $0.93
So you bought your first bluray? Or it was the first time you've ever paid under a dollar for a bluray?

If it's the latter, congrats! if it's the former, welcome to 6 years ago.

Anyway, has anyone snagged the re-releases of El Topo and The Holy Mountain? I'm wondering if they are just re-releases or if the PQ/AQ or features are any different from the OOP versions.

And if you don't know of the films I'm speaking about, do yourself a favor and check both of them out as soon as you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
28 days later was filmed using some grain type thing or something (on purpose). as such the blu ray doesnt look much better than the dvd release for those wondering. i bet 28 weeks later is a different story though as it wasnt filmed like the first

Aren't Blu-ray cases a few inches shorter than DVDs? Doesn't seem like something that is too hard to see.

And all the Walmarts and the Target near me have dedicated sections for Blu-rays. The only time they mingle are kids, TV Shows (which they carry few Blu-rays anyway), and New Releases.

Does anyone know where I can get a high resolution image for the DBZ Kai Season 3 blu ray artwork? I managed to get the 4 discs really cheap in a generic case but I'd like it to look a bit nicer. Also does anyone know where to buy cheap blu ray cases that can hold 4 discs?

Will someone please explain to me what Target and Wal-Mart's problem is with Blu-Ray. I actually hate going into both places to buy a Blu-Ray disk when they are on sale because there is no dedicated section for them. I know DVD's are cheap, but Blu-Ray players are cheap enough that everyone should have one by now, if not a PS3, PS4, or X-box One. And yet I still see so many advertisements for DVD's on sale but can not find the same title in the store in Blu-Ray at all. And is it really that hard to make a Blu-Ray only section so I don't have to look at the disk to figure out if it is a Blu-Ray or DVD. I don't even consider buying a DVD anymore. EVER!!!
As a retail employee I can tell you why places like Target and Wal-Mart are focused on DVD. It's because customers in general prefer DVD. Why? Because most of them don't care about the differences and don't like the feeling of being forced into another video format so soon. Trust me Blu-Ray is better in my opinion but the masses that shop at places like Target and Wal-Mart keep flocking to DVD so that's what will be focused on.

Trust me I get to hear on a daily basis "do you have this in regular" with a customer holding the Blu-Ray/DVD combo in their hands.

Hi

I'm in very odd situation right now, I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I ordered batman vs robin on blu ray from bestbuy. I received the package today with my name and address on it and a shipping label from bestbuy.com. The item I got was fifty shades of grey instead of batman vs robin. The packing slip inside the package is from target, not bestbuy and the shipping and billing address is someone else entirely. Who should i contact target or bestbuy? Thanks for your help.

Hi

I'm in very odd situation right now, I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I ordered batman vs robin on blu ray from bestbuy. I received the package today with my name and address on it and a shipping label from bestbuy.com. The item I got was fifty shades of grey instead of batman vs robin. The packing slip inside the package is from target, not bestbuy and the shipping and billing address is someone else entirely. Who should i contact target or bestbuy? Thanks for your help.
Contact Best Buy to have them send you the correct item. If you're feeling honest, you can return the other item to Target with the packing slip and they should be able to take it back and refund the purchaser's payment method.

Does Best Buy still do that thing where you trade a DVD and get a $5 coupon? I haven't bought any movies in a long while, and was curious if that promotion still happens.

Good to know. The last time I wanted some blus, I just ordered them used from GoHastings. Probably cheapest way to get new movies, when a good discount is happening.
BB went through a phase a couple of years ago where they changed their movie media square footage and handed off management of that part of the store to a third party. At the time that happened, they stopped with Upgrade-And-Save, which was that $5 promotion for recycling/trading-in DVDs.

You can check Amazon for options on cheaper movies, including the Used section, plus GoHastings as you mentioned before.

BB went through a phase a couple of years ago where they changed their movie media square footage and handed off management of that part of the store to a third party. At the time that happened, they stopped with Upgrade-And-Save, which was that $5 promotion for recycling/trading-in DVDs.

You can check Amazon for options on cheaper movies, including the Used section, plus GoHastings as you mentioned before.
I didn't realize they had outsourced it to a third party. That explains the poor decision (IMO) to integrate the BR's with the DVD's. It's too bad they ended U&S because I certainly spend less money on BR's at BB now since that's no longer an option.

I didn't realize they had outsourced it to a third party. That explains the poor decision (IMO) to integrate the BR's with the DVD's. It's too bad they ended U&S because I certainly spend less money on BR's at BB now since that's no longer an option.
I'm not sure if it's still that way, though the last time I was actually in the media section and not just in-store to do an in-store pickup, there were third-party reps doing the work to clean up/set up the shelf content.

moonrise kingdom criterion collection just announced, can pre order on amazon, the special features on teh blu ray were a complete joke so actually looking forward to this

So whats up with Best Buy selling two versions of many blu-rays, at way different prices, with one listed as "enhanced widescreen for 16x9 TVs"?

I googled, and most said it was a DVD thing, but I double checked and the "Heat" blu-rays I found, for example, weren't two disc packs with a DVD included.

And both editions of "Heat" for instance list 2.40:1 aspect ratios, so it doesn't appear that one is cropped to perfect 16:9 (the modern day equivalent of angry moms and dads actually demanding the full screen version of a DVD movie cause they feel the black bars a gypping them and ruining it).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/heat-blu-ray-disc/9588699.p?id=49050&skuId=9588699

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/heat-blu-ray-disc/4257700.p?id=49050&skuId=4257700

I just realized I hadnt open my diamond edition copy of beauty and the beast I bought years ago and apparently its worth a bit lol but I really want to watch it again 

Take the amount that it's selling for and ask yourself if you would pay that amount to buy a ticket to see it.  Chances are the answer will be no so I'd say sell it.

Not sure if this is the right thread (I don't come round these parts too often) but Spaceballs BR&UV is on sale for $5.99 at Best Buy. Just thought I'd come by and share for those who haven't snagged it yet, since it seems to be a pretty solid price for the disc and UV

Has anyone seen any 4K blu-ray players get Black Friday love?  And I mean real native 4k not upscaled.  I really thought that would be a big ticket item this year...

Since GoHastings used to be my go to place for used Blu Rays, where is the next best place now? Is there anywhere cheaper than eBay/Amazon?
Gamefly will have used Blu Ray deals in their sale newsletters though I honestly don't know how their prices compare to EBay/Amazon for used titles.

bread's done
Back