Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

Seems like a short period between going in the vault and coming back out again, at least compared to Disney. It makes the whole thing look pretty silly in my opinion. It's not like demand would have really suffered much if they simply left them on the shelves, and re-released them later next year. All this does is piss off people who want to buy the movies, and benefit resellers who are likely buying up these movies all now to sell to these poor souls.

[quote name='Trojann']I cannot wait for Drive on Blu-ray![/QUOTE]

My favorite movie of the last couple years! Loved every single moment of the film! :applause::applause:

Indiana Jones collection with all four movies (yes, I know everyone's take on Crystal Skull), out this fall:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8283

Let's hope Paramount does what we had with the Alien collection and make the movies individually for people that don't want Crystal Skull.

I also hope that the movies are remastered correctly and they look good on BD. No reason they couldn't look great on BD.

EDIT: Apparently up for pre-order on Amazon, no date, for $74.99:
http://www.amazon.com/Indiana-Jones-Blu-ray-Collection/dp/B000NQRE9Q/

Also, don't bother trading in the DVD sets to Amazon unless they're new and sealed, as they have a $0.25 trade-in value if not new and sealed.

[quote name='shrike4242']Indiana Jones collection with all four movies (yes, I know everyone's take on Crystal Skull), out this fall:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8283

Let's hope Paramount does what we had with the Alien collection and make the movies individually for people that don't want Crystal Skull.

I also hope that the movies are remastered correctly and they look good on BD. No reason they couldn't look great on BD.

EDIT: Apparently up for pre-order on Amazon, no date, for $74.99:
http://www.amazon.com/Indiana-Jones-Blu-ray-Collection/dp/B000NQRE9Q/

Also, don't bother trading in the DVD sets to Amazon unless they're new and sealed, as they have a $0.25 trade-in value if not new and sealed.[/QUOTE]

To get the first three (1 and 3, really), I'll gladly pay the premium of the 4th. I was wondering about the status of this set just the other day.

I don't remember if I asked this or not. If I buy the 3D version of the new Piranha 3D movie, will it still play in 2D effectively?

I only have one 3D TV and I'm pretty sure I won't be watching it there very often, but I'd love to at least once. The rest of the time, it'd be viewed on my non-3D TV with probably a non-3D blu-ray player.

Hopefully it makes sense.

[quote name='Grammar Police']I don't remember if I asked this or not. If I buy the 3D version of the new Piranha 3D movie, will it still play in 2D effectively?

I only have one 3D TV and I'm pretty sure I won't be watching it there very often, but I'd love to at least once. The rest of the time, it'd be viewed on my non-3D TV with probably a non-3D blu-ray player.

Hopefully it makes sense.[/QUOTE]

From the Amazon discussion, 2D is included on the disc and is the default.

I recently heard that some of the Studio Ghibli films are finally being put on Blu-ray. Does anyone know which ones are currently available/what the future releases are going to be?

I know that Nausicaa and Ponyo have been around for a while and that Castle in the Sky's coming out next month, but I'd kill for some of the others (not that there's a single bad film in the bunch).

Hello! I don't know if is the correct place to post this, I'm new in cheap ass gamers.
I'm going to buy V for Vendetta, Inception, Moneyball and Woman in Black ( Is only available at pre-order right now) I was searching in Amazon, but do you guys know any place/site to check for those movies (Blu-ray)

P.s: Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, I really didn't find another place

[quote name='Deserter Goose']I recently heard that some of the Studio Ghibli films are finally being put on Blu-ray. Does anyone know which ones are currently available/what the future releases are going to be?

I know that Nausicaa and Ponyo have been around for a while and that Castle in the Sky's coming out next month, but I'd kill for some of the others (not that there's a single bad film in the bunch).[/QUOTE]

Whisper of the Heart and The Secret World of Arrietty are coming out next month as well.

[quote name='thelonepig']Whisper of the Heart and The Secret World of Arrietty are coming out next month as well.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I've never heard of Whisper of the Heart. Should I be ashamed of that? Looks like it's yet another well-reviewed Miyazaki film, whatever the case. I knew about Arrietty, too, but I'm gonna hold out on that one 'till it drops a little bit. ;)

[quote name='OrionBrando']Hello! I don't know if is the correct place to post this, I'm new in cheap ass gamers.
I'm going to buy V for Vendetta, Inception, Moneyball and Woman in Black ( Is only available at pre-order right now) I was searching in Amazon, but do you guys know any place/site to check for those movies (Blu-ray)

P.s: Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, I really didn't find another place[/QUOTE]

If you don't mind buying used, GoHastings has a 33% off sale right now and that makes the movies you've listed a bit cheaper than Amazon's prices (I think - haven't factored in the sales tax or shipping costs). Here's a link to the topic discussing it:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320190

I'm not sure if everything GoHastings sells is complete, though. Sorry!

[quote name='Deadpool']Total Recall looks ridiculously good. That is all.[/QUOTE]

The new edition? Good, I preordered it.

[quote name='Deadpool']Total Recall looks ridiculously good. That is all.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the new BD of the original movie? Or the remake of the movie? Both look solid to me.

Can anyone recommend a good region free BD player? I'm looking to import some BBC TV stuff but need a player that can handle 50mhz.

We've had a lot of luck with the (relatively cheap) Samsung E5700. We also have an LG BD570 which has held up well for the past 2 1/2 years.

The Samsung E5300 also handles the 50hz to 60hz conversion, but doesn't have the wireless capabilities of the E5700. It's also on sale at Best Buy this week for $79.99.

I was referring to the new BD of the original Total Recall. Also i got The Raid today and wow awesome movie!

The remake of Total Recall was a big bag of meh. Kate Beckinsale is just silly hot in it though.

[quote name='Deserter Goose']Oh, I've never heard of Whisper of the Heart. Should I be ashamed of that? Looks like it's yet another well-reviewed Miyazaki film, whatever the case. I knew about Arrietty, too, but I'm gonna hold out on that one 'till it drops a little bit. ;)

If you don't mind buying used, GoHastings has a 33% off sale right now and that makes the movies you've listed a bit cheaper than Amazon's prices (I think - haven't factored in the sales tax or shipping costs). Here's a link to the topic discussing it:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320190

I'm not sure if everything GoHastings sells is complete, though. Sorry![/QUOTE]

Whispers of the Heart is Ghibi, but not Miyazaki, he isnt the only director at the studio. Whisper of the Heart, ive not actual seen, but always hear it's good.

Warner is re-releasing the Ultimate cut of Watchmen, so if you have a copy it might be best to sell it now while the resale value is still high ;)

tumblr_m9j6vbCReU1qa6obyo1_1280.jpg

So tempting, but I already have the vanilla Watchmen BD, the hardcover graphic novel, and the Ultimate Cut DVD. Not sure I can justify getting this...

[quote name='ssjmichael']Warner is re-releasing the Ultimate cut of Watchmen, so if you have a copy it might be best to sell it now while the resale value is still high ;)[/QUOTE]
Looks like this is just UC Watchman on BD + theatrical of the movie on DVD + UV digital copies + hardcover of the graphic novel + collectable packaging.

Since I have UC already, don't need theatrical on DVD or the UV DCs and have the graphic novel, it's a pass for me.

For those that don't have the UC, it might be worth picking up, though I think the MSRP is a bit painful since some of us picked up UC at around $30.

I love Watchmen, but I just didn't think splicing in the Black Freighter stuff would add anything to the movie (honestly, I didn't think it added much to the graphic novel). Am I wrong?

The pic of the box the set comes in looks like it should include a Watchmen Monopoly or Shoot and Ladders board game.

Think I'll just keep the UC BD set I got as I like that packaging better.

[quote name='argyle']I love Watchmen, but I just didn't think splicing in the Black Freighter stuff would add anything to the movie (honestly, I didn't think it added much to the graphic novel). Am I wrong?[/QUOTE]

I've read numerous accounts of people that have seen it, and now refuse to watch it any other way. I've only seen them separately, and I wasn't a huge fan of the animation style of black freighter, but I am still curious to see the whole thing. The UC also adds transition scenes of the black kid at the newsstand, which isn't found in any other version.

[quote name='darkdaze73']The pic of the box the set comes in looks like it should include a Watchmen Monopoly or Shoot and Ladders board game.

Think I'll just keep the UC BD set I got as I like that packaging better.[/QUOTE]

It's the same as most of the other UCE's from WB (Casablanca, Ben Hur, Wizard of Oz, Willy Wonka, etc..)

[quote name='darkdaze73']The pic of the box the set comes in looks like it should include a Watchmen Monopoly or Shoot and Ladders board game.

Think I'll just keep the UC BD set I got as I like that packaging better.[/QUOTE]
I was going to say it looks like a box for a licensed Watchmen version of Clue.

Silk Spectre did it in the Owlship with the bone.

[quote name='argyle']I love Watchmen, but I just didn't think splicing in the Black Freighter stuff would add anything to the movie (honestly, I didn't think it added much to the graphic novel). Am I wrong?[/QUOTE]

^ my thoughts exactly.

Is there an actual reason the first few seasons of The Office isn't out on Blu? Or is it just something they're waiting on until they can exclusively (for a while, at least) shove them in an overpriced "complete series" set next year?

I didn't see a "recent haul" type thread, so I guess it's ok to post in this general one?

$5.99 Amadeus Digibook
$7.99 Godfather Collection

UE6CM-A1

UE6C4-A1

[FONT=&quot]Twilight series is gained much popularity among its lover. Enthusiastic Vampire movie lover are getting much amusement in Twilight series. Changing Bella swan into a vampire life partner of Edward and around their new child and new amusement in Twilight series Breaking down part 2 is now available in blu ray you will get it http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Twilight-Saga-Breaking-Dawn-Part-2-Blu-ray/38284/ amusing 112 min this movie is now bringing much amusement to its lover with infinite love with the one of the best couple character in Hollywood movie.[/FONT]

[quote name='WV Matsui']Disappointing there are no BF sales on the Bond collection and the Indy collection[/QUOTE]

Bond is $129 at Best Buy and Indy is $49.99 at most places

Geez, I didn't even realize Power Rangers Super Samurai was being released on the 4th. Release snuck up on me. Kinda strange that the first half wasn't released in a set...

[quote name='Deserter Goose']I recently heard that some of the Studio Ghibli films are finally being put on Blu-ray. Does anyone know which ones are currently available/what the future releases are going to be?

I know that Nausicaa and Ponyo have been around for a while and that Castle in the Sky's coming out next month, but I'd kill for some of the others (not that there's a single bad film in the bunch).[/QUOTE]

Well in the UK we currently have:

Ponyo
Arrietty
Totoro
Tales From Earthsea
Howl's Moving Castle
Whisper Of The Heart
My Neighbours The Yamadas
Laputa: Castle In The Sky
Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind

So if you have a multi region player you could import?

[quote name='DestroVega']Are they the non-Lucas raped editions? Probably why.[/QUOTE]
There are some changes on it. Found this:

http://www.gosale.com/3661582/star-wars-trilogy-widescreen
What's Been Changed
The rumors are true: Lucas made more changes to the films for their DVD debut. Hayden Christensen (Anakin Skywalker) has been added to a scene in Jedi, Ian McDiarmid (the Emperor) replaces Clive Revill with slightly revised lines in Empire, Temuera Morrison has rerecorded Boba Fett's minimal dialogue, and some other small details have been altered. Yes, these changes mean that the Star Wars films are no longer the ones you saw 20 years ago, but these brief changes hardly affect the films, and they do make sense in the overall continuity of the two trilogies. It's not like a digitized Ewan McGregor has replaced Alec Guiness's scenes, and the infamous changes made for the 1997 special-edition versions were much more intrusive (of course, those are in the DVD versions as well).

Picked up Power Rangers Super Samurai, and it had an interesting feature. When you hit "Play All Episodes" and finish with that disc, it promps you to put in the next disc and it continues from there without dealing with the menu screen. Granted, I don't have many TV shows on Blu-ray, but I haven't seen this feature before.

On the bad side, two if the episodes are squished into fullscreen and the annoying intro from the Nick airings is on every episode

I just saw that Lemony Snicket was playing on TBS. I was surprised to see that it never got a US/UK release. It would be nice if Paramount would rectify this.

[quote name='neocisco']I just saw that Lemony Snicket was playing on TBS. I was surprised to see that it never got a US/UK release. It would be nice if Paramount would rectify this.[/QUOTE]

I find it weird how they do some of these releases, pisses me off that screen archive's fucks everything up on their horror titles, is to hard to limit one per person.

bread's done
Back