Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

I missed this a couple weeks ago though I don't know how.. They're finally bringing Gettysburg and it's lesser prequel Gods and Generals to blu-ray in May, both in DigiBook form (which some don't like, but I do):

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5929

Gettysburg is one of my favorite movies ever and in my opinion one of the best war films ever made, so I'm quite pumped. They'll also be releasing them together in a collector's edition in July, which I might go for if the extras are nice.

Cowboy Bebop the movie coming out on Blu... something I actually wondered about just two days ago when I saw the DVD in a store.

Hey which is the Dragon Ball Z set that people are supposed to avoid? I was curious about the first DBZ Kai since it's on sale at Amazon. I know that's an abridged/remastered version, but I recall some offhand remark in a different thread about how you should avoid the ____ DBZ set and get ___ instead. For all I know that remark may have been directed towards the DVDs though.

Hey guys I'm about to buy my first Blu-ray player, the Samsung BD-C5500, because it's pretty cheap and I was just wondering if anyone had any warnings about this particular one. I've read a lot of reviews and most of the things people list as cons don't really bother me. Let me know and thanks!

[quote name='Matedawg11']Hey guys I'm about to buy my first Blu-ray player, the Samsung BD-C5500, because it's pretty cheap and I was just wondering if anyone had any warnings about this particular one. I've read a lot of reviews and most of the things people list as cons don't really bother me. Let me know and thanks![/QUOTE] I'd read through this thread if you haven't already.

Last edited by a moderator:
just ordered evangelion 1.11 and sengoku basara from amazon. it's been a while since i last purchased a bluray movie. now waiting for Mortal Kombat!!!! I watched part of the movie in tv like years ago, although i'm not sure whether that's the first or the second movie.

hey, has anyone tried to play Machete on a 40 gb PS3? it loads, says the blu-ray message where for latest updates blah blah, goes into play mode and stays black. Can't get it to play at all.

Looks like we're getting a complete series set for Stargate Atlantis on July 26th:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...he_Complete_Series_Announced_for_Blu-ray/6714

MSRP is $200, so it'll be pricey. I'm hoping that we don't repeat the SG-1 Complete Series set packaging debacle with this one. Also wondering how it'll look on BD, since I think they shot it on HD Video though some of the series, if not all of it. In that case, I'd like to think it would look good to very good.

That one is worth waiting out to read reviews before sinking money into it.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'm hoping that we don't repeat the SG-1 Complete Series set packaging debacle with this one.[/QUOTE]

But it was a Stargate!

I agree though, my DVDs came right out of that box and never went back in, but to its credit it does look fantastic on a shelf.

As for Atlantis, I already own all the individual seasons on DVD, so I'd probably wait on a pretty big sale (and of course the reviews) before upgrading to the blu.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Hey which is the Dragon Ball Z set that people are supposed to avoid? I was curious about the first DBZ Kai since it's on sale at Amazon. I know that's an abridged/remastered version, but I recall some offhand remark in a different thread about how you should avoid the ____ DBZ set and get ___ instead. For all I know that remark may have been directed towards the DVDs though.[/QUOTE]
I never had any DBZ discs before Kai, but I have all 4 (or is it 3?) blu ray sets that have been released so far, and I think they're quite good all things considered. It's waaaaaay better than the original DBZ in my opinion.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Hey which is the Dragon Ball Z set that people are supposed to avoid? I was curious about the first DBZ Kai since it's on sale at Amazon. I know that's an abridged/remastered version, but I recall some offhand remark in a different thread about how you should avoid the ____ DBZ set and get ___ instead. For all I know that remark may have been directed towards the DVDs though.[/QUOTE]
It's the Orange DVD sets some people say to avoid. They're cropped strangely and apparently the "remastering" messed up some of the colors. I have those sets, and I would never notice a difference. But if you want what is generally considered the best DBZ, go with the Dragon Box DVD's if you want the original unabridged show, or the Kai DVD's or Blu-rays if you want the filler cut out. The Kai sets are also the only version of DBZ on blu-ray, the movies not withstanding.

http://www.nbcuniversalstore.com/de...studios&ecid=PRF-TV2-101134&pa=PRF-TV2-101134

00295974-749345_348.jpg

I think the cover is terrible, and I swear I read the print of the extend cut was destroyed- but I'm still hopeful.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Any idea on how good is Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood blu-ray?[/QUOTE]
I like it at least as much as the "original" FMA series.

I was exited when I saw From Dusk Till Dawn in my GB until I read up on the horrid transfer it received.

Anybody have the Canadian version that can comment on it?

[quote name='Xellos2099']I meant as in quality of the blu-ray.[/QUOTE]
I think it looks and sounds great. Better than most anime I have on blu ray probably.

[quote name='shrike4242']Break out the coupon anticipation discussion again, Dumbo gets a street date of September 20th:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6282

It's another release in dual packaging, both with DVD and Blu-Ray discs, like they did with Snow White, one DVD-sized and one Blu-Ray sized.[/QUOTE]

They need to get Blu-ray sales up this year somehow.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Yeah, that news is about 7 months old. It's coming out the day the normal BD/DVD hit.[/QUOTE]

I tempted to preorder the ultimate 8 disc Lion King set, but I can't remember is I liked the other movies that much.
51739ksSaGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I wonder if 1 1/2 and 2 are going to get stand alone releases?
All these oddly packaged CE/UE movies are screwing up my shelves- I guess this one is just a box, I just hope it is :br: height.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']I tempted to preorder the ultimate 8 disc Lion King set, but I can't remember is I liked the other movies that much.

All these oddly packaged CE/UE movies are screwing up my shelves- I guess this one is just a box, I just hope it is :br: height.[/QUOTE]

1 1/2 and 2 won't get stand alone releases for a while, at least according to someone I spoke to. Defeats the whole purpose of selling this gigantic boxset. Probably, eventually. Disney is weird with their releases. You can probably import both around October since Dinsey treats each territory differently (i.e. Bambi II is out in the UK already...along with Dumbo).

I pre-ordered the big boxset for $67 on Amazon. I may or may not keep it. Already getting the 3D copy for review, so not sure if $67 is worth it for two DTV Sequels.

Amazon UK has the Godfather collection for ~$30 shipped right now. Any key differences between US and UK versions? It's listed as region free, does that mean it should play on a US PS3? I forget if the PAL/NTSC distinction is still relevant with blu-ray.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Amazon UK has the Godfather collection for ~$30 shipped right now. Any key differences between US and UK versions? It's listed as region free, does that mean it should play on a US PS3? I forget if the PAL/NTSC distinction is still relevant with blu-ray.[/QUOTE]

I have it, it plays fine on my PS3. I'm almost entirely certain they're nearly the same disks between the US and UK versions. I got mine the last time it got really cheap (like ~$26 shipped cheap) and was very pleased with the purchase. The only downside is that each movie comes in its own case and they're fairly thick cases so if you're concerned about shelf space then you might want to look to the considerably slimmer US version.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I have it, it plays fine on my PS3. I'm almost entirely certain they're nearly the same disks between the US and UK versions. I got mine the last time it got really cheap (like ~$26 shipped cheap) and was very pleased with the purchase. The only downside is that each movie comes in its own case and they're fairly thick cases so if you're concerned about shelf space then you might want to look to the considerably slimmer US version.[/QUOTE]All very good to know. Thanks!

[quote name='h3llbring3r']I tempted to preorder the ultimate 8 disc Lion King set, but I can't remember is I liked the other movies that much.

All these oddly packaged CE/UE movies are screwing up my shelves- I guess this one is just a box, I just hope it is :br: height.[/QUOTE]I still wanna know what the inside looks like. Hopefully individual cases.

Thought I might bump this thread just to get some attention to it:cool:

The BD + DC version trades in for up to $7.60 at Amazon, if you already have it.

This release would be a 3-disc (3D BD / 2D BD / DVD + DC or 3D BD / 2D BD / DVD / online on DMR.com website for DC) or 4-disc (3D BD / 2D BD / DVD / DC) release, so there's nothing stopping you from picking it up now or later and selling/trading your existing version.

There may be a trade-up/upgrade coupon coming from Disney or a non-upgrade coupon as well, though we have some time before such a thing gets released. Amazon normally releases their coupon on these types of releases very early in the pre-order cycle, so it would be worth keeping an eye out for them. In the case of Tangled, the 3D combo pack had a $8 coupon on Amazon ($5 B&M coupon, so a better coupon deal) as well as a price match to the cheaper price at Target of $24.99, so it was a win-win.

Looks like we have a 15-disc "Treasure Chest" edition of the four POTC movies, retailing at $114.99, with a MSRP of $169.99:

http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-Blu-ray/dp/product/B0054K8JSG

Not sure what's in the 15 discs, though the first three movies are 3-discs each as 2 BD discs and one DVD disc, for 9 discs, and the separate POTC: OST release (over here with $8 off coupon on Amazon) has 5 discs, so we're up to 14. Maybe the 7th disc from the POTC trilogy pack is included for the 15th disc.

The $8 coupon mentioned above doesn't work on the Treasure Chest version.

bread's done
Back