Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

Does anyone know what is up with Louie S1 BD/DVD?..first off, it was shelved early at a Fry's I stopped by on Saturday. Of course they didn't sell it to me, but what I found interesting was while it was both formats, the copy in my hand was DVD case sized. Now, at Fry's it is $19.99 this week, stellar deal compared to checking BB.com at $34.99 (!!!) and Amazon for $30..

Now what perplexes me, and this references the question above, is I just searched it out on Frys.com and there are two listings stating DVD/BD and another BD/DVD..so I guess I'm wondering if there is only one set of this, or if there should be BD sized packaging?? Not that it matters since I lumped all my TV seasons together on the shelf (which doesn't look that good) but it would still be nice to know if I need to hunt a BD sized box out..

Did anybody get that Stanley Kubrick 9 movie LE collection? Wb shop has it for 104 before discounts. I can get it for 83.96 with my coupon codes but I'm worried it might end up being one of those amazon lightning deals that ends up going for 49.99 or something.

Pirates 4-movie box set $115:

81MFoiKbAPL._AA1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Caribbean-Four-Movie-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B0054K8JSG/ref=pd_sim_mov_5

That chest looks awesome.

[quote name='DestroVega']^I'm nervous about these for some reason.[/QUOTE]

IDK about Pulp Fiction, but I think Jackie Brown will be fine. It looks damn good in HD on cable so I don't think they have a lot of opportunity to fuck it up. Probably my favorite Tarantino movie so I am excited it is coming out.

[quote name='token2k6']Does anyone know what is up with Louie S1 BD/DVD?..first off, it was shelved early at a Fry's I stopped by on Saturday. Of course they didn't sell it to me, but what I found interesting was while it was both formats, the copy in my hand was DVD case sized. Now, at Fry's it is $19.99 this week, stellar deal compared to checking BB.com at $34.99 (!!!) and Amazon for $30..

Now what perplexes me, and this references the question above, is I just searched it out on Frys.com and there are two listings stating DVD/BD and another BD/DVD..so I guess I'm wondering if there is only one set of this, or if there should be BD sized packaging?? Not that it matters since I lumped all my TV seasons together on the shelf (which doesn't look that good) but it would still be nice to know if I need to hunt a BD sized box out..[/QUOTE]

I think it was packaged in both a DVD and Blu-ray style case.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shrike4242']Hell looks like it froze over again, after the release of The Incredibles.

Looks like we have Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown on the way on 10/04/11:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...lp_Fiction_&_Jackie_Brown_Blu-rays_Dated/7133

MSRP for each is supposedly $19.99, and Jackie Brown might initially be a Walmart exclusive.

With $20 MSRPs, we should have $13-14 Amazon pre-orders without much work.[/QUOTE]

looks like no reason to be nervous after all, new restorations of each movie overseen by QT. nice!

[quote name='DestroVega']looks like no reason to be nervous after all, new restorations of each movie overseen by QT. nice![/QUOTE]
Nice, in for both.
I wish they would release PF in the CE briefcase packaging they did in the oversea's markets.

Regarding blu-ray related hell freezing over, that officially happens (for me) Sept. 13th when O'Brother Where Art Thou ships- since it was teased on the original :br: promo reels.

So many movies coming out from now until the end of the year. Right now my most anticipated is Wall E since I haven't seen it and I know how good Pixar looks on the Blu combined with the praise the movie itself got. :)

[quote name='seopress']So many movies coming out from now until the end of the year. Right now my most anticipated is Wall E since I haven't seen it and I know how good Pixar looks on the Blu combined with the praise the movie itself got. :)[/QUOTE]

It's been out for a few years now...

[quote name='GizmoGC']It's been out for a few years now...[/QUOTE]

and if a Costco near you has any left you can get it for $9.97

not really a deal but Justice League Season 2 Bluray came out the end of july under the radar to like no fanfare. I got my copy yesterday and watched a couple episodes, extras are pretty much same as on dvds, little annoying because they list the extras on both discs and if you have the wrong disc it just tells you to insert other disc, bit annoying. BD live is little cool, does have new Dark Knight Rises trailer available for play.

My god, the actual shows though, just awesome. Colors pop, detail, anamorphic widescreen, just, I teared up a bit. Miles ahead of the JL season one set and just makes me salivate for a JLU bluray set seeing what they can do now. Any fans of JL animated this is a must buy, was watching Twilight and it was just so beautiful, scene with all father in front of the source wall and the fire just danced on the screen in glorious HD just so beautiful. Haven't even got to the Justice Lords episode yet but can't wait.

[quote name='neocisco']More like least worst. I haven't seen any good deals (although I'm certainly not looking to give Lucas any more of my money).[/QUOTE]

THE GUY CAN have my bank account ive been waiting for these movies in the ultimate format....dvd is as obsolete to me as vhs

This is incredibly offtopic and I apologize for it, but I suspect some of the HD DVD supporters are stomping around here... how much would anyone think that Deadlands 2 for HD DVD is worth? I can't find any pricing info on it.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']This is incredibly offtopic and I apologize for it, but I suspect some of the HD DVD supporters are stomping around here... how much would anyone think that Deadlands 2 for HD DVD is worth? I can't find any pricing info on it.[/QUOTE]

I just read up on it, does yours come numbered with a certificate of authenticity?

[quote name='donkeypunch24']THE GUY CAN have my bank account ive been waiting for these movies in the ultimate format....dvd is as obsolete to me as vhs[/QUOTE]

If you're really willing to open your bank account for the ultimate format, buy a film print and a projector. Better quality, and unbastardized cuts.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Yes it does.[/QUOTE]

$40. Maybe.

I flipped one a year ago (when Anthem still had the rights) for $100ish, but now, Gary is pressing his own and has done so on HD DVD and Blu-ray. You'll be lucky to get back what you paid for it.

[quote name='donkeypunch24']THE GUY CAN have my bank account ive been waiting for these movies in the ultimate format....dvd is as obsolete to me as vhs[/QUOTE]

After reading about all the changes and tweaks I cancelled my preorder. Lucas is terrible. If you told me 15 years ago I'd eventually grow hate the Star Wars saga, I'd said you were nuts. Now I think it's teetering on garbage.

Han shot first for life. :lol: I'm sure uncle Owen's corpse will get edited out in the 3D release.

Glad I have my LD of the original trilogy; If 480p is the best picture one can get for an untainted print then so be it.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']After reading about all the changes and tweaks I cancelled my preorder. Lucas is terrible. If you told me 15 years ago I'd eventually grow hate the Star Wars saga, I'd said you were nuts. Now I think it's teetering on garbage.

Han shot first for life. :lol: I'm sure uncle Owen's corpse will get edited out in the 3D release.

Glad I have my LD of the original trilogy; If 480p is the best picture one can get for an untainted print then so be it.[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='token2k6']Does anyone know what is up with Louie S1 BD/DVD?..first off, it was shelved early at a Fry's I stopped by on Saturday. Of course they didn't sell it to me, but what I found interesting was while it was both formats, the copy in my hand was DVD case sized. Now, at Fry's it is $19.99 this week, stellar deal compared to checking BB.com at $34.99 (!!!) and Amazon for $30..

Now what perplexes me, and this references the question above, is I just searched it out on Frys.com and there are two listings stating DVD/BD and another BD/DVD..so I guess I'm wondering if there is only one set of this, or if there should be BD sized packaging?? Not that it matters since I lumped all my TV seasons together on the shelf (which doesn't look that good) but it would still be nice to know if I need to hunt a BD sized box out..[/QUOTE]

I realize I'm probably a little late to the party, but Louie S1 Blu is $14.99 on the FoxConnect website. If you sign up for their mailing list you can also get a 10% off + free shipping code, although I have been having trouble getting it to work correctly (going to call customer service tomorrow).

As a side note, their search function is usually either broken, or terrible, or both, so keep that in mind if you are trying to find something (e.g. no results for wallstreet, only wall street).

starting to build a blu ray collection with this barnes and noble sale going on. What else do you think I should add to this?

Goldfinger
Baraka
Bladerunner
Heat
Up
Toy Story 3
John Adams
Modern Family

No horror, but other than that, anything that would be spectacular to watch in a home theater

[quote name='GizmoGC']$40. Maybe.

I flipped one a year ago (when Anthem still had the rights) for $100ish, but now, Gary is pressing his own and has done so on HD DVD and Blu-ray. You'll be lucky to get back what you paid for it.[/QUOTE]

Laaame. Well I'll be happy with the what I get anyhow, thank you for the response.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Laaame. Well I'll be happy with the what I get anyhow, thank you for the response.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, not worth much. Anthem was actually shipping them at here in my town so I was able to grab a few pretty cheap. I doubt they actually sold all 500 though. It'll probably be worth something in the future...but right now, not much.

Word going around is that Transformers: Dark of the Moon will hit blu this month, September 30th.. but the catch is - it's only a barebones release. Movie only. The 3d version and version w/ extras will be released in December, then a trilogy set w/ fancy stuff later on.

I think I'll pick up the barebones release. I wouldn't watch the extras on it anyway.

I have zero emoitional attachment to the Star Wars films. I couldn't care less about any of the changes to them made thus far. I don't think the prequels are particularly bad or good. I'm glad to watch all 6 films but I'm not even close to being a purist.

But with that said - that hilarious "NOOOO" they added makes me embarassed watching it...on Youtube...by myself. I ain't got much time to decide now, but I really am thinking strongly about cancelling my preorder for the set. At this point I don't buy that Lucas isn't just trolling everybody for his own amusement.

anyone else have "Waiting" on BD and think the PQ sucks? the colors look super-enhanced and there is no detail to anything in the background. I checked a few review sites and they gave it 3 - 3.5 out of 5. I almost wanna pull out the DVD and see if it's better, only cause the color levels were like burning my eyes out.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I have zero emoitional attachment to the Star Wars films. I couldn't care less about any of the changes to them made thus far. I don't think the prequels are particularly bad or good. I'm glad to watch all 6 films but I'm not even close to being a purist.

But with that said - that hilarious "NOOOO" they added makes me embarassed watching it...on Youtube...by myself. I ain't got much time to decide now, but I really am thinking strongly about cancelling my preorder for the set. At this point I don't buy that Lucas isn't just trolling everybody for his own amusement.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I finally watched it and I gotta say, it really does come across as almost slapstick. I'm not one who gets too worked up over the changes (new Anakin in Jedi, Han shoots first, etc.) but this new "noooo" just feels completely out of place. It completely ruins one of the best scenes in the original trilogy.

[quote name='Scorch']Word going around is that Transformers: Dark of the Moon will hit blu this month, September 30th.. but the catch is - it's only a barebones release. Movie only. The 3d version and version w/ extras will be released in December, then a trilogy set w/ fancy stuff later on.

I think I'll pick up the barebones release. I wouldn't watch the extras on it anyway.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, just wanted to say that this has been confirmed. I just saw the commercial for it.

Finally decided to buy this Metropolis Steelbook, I really love the design of it and of course the movie. I hesistated for a while because it's Region B so I can't play it on my PS3 but I will be getting a BD drive for my PC soon and I can then switch to any region I want.

Also Eureka said that the fire at Sony's Warehouse in London wiped out the remaining stock of these so don't wait if you want one

METROP_BD+STEELBOOK_packshot_72dpi_site.jpg

Hey guys, I work at a video store and receive a TON of Blu-Rays. They usually include the digital copy codes and for some reason we just throw them out. I have recently started taking them and I am selling them for $5 a piece or I will combine stuff for some kind of deal or whatever. I currently have a few copies of the new Transformers, Green Lantern, Horrible Bosses, and Fast Five. Send me a message if you are interested and we can do it through PayPal or however you would feel comfortable.

[quote name='seopress']TDK is coming 12/12 according to Blockbuster (signs in store) [/quote]

So for those of us that aren't mind readers, TDK would be ...?

Figured I should post it here as well since I posted it in the recently watched movie thread:

To those that own the Cronos Criterion Blu-Ray, is there anyway to set up English subtitles to include the English speaking parts in the film and not just the Spanish portions?

[quote name='Jlucchesi324']Hey guys, I work at a video store and receive a TON of Blu-Rays. They usually include the digital copy codes and for some reason we just throw them out. I have recently started taking them and I am selling them for $5 a piece or I will combine stuff for some kind of deal or whatever. I currently have a few copies of the new Transformers, Green Lantern, Horrible Bosses, and Fast Five. Send me a message if you are interested and we can do it through PayPal or however you would feel comfortable.[/QUOTE]i doubt you'll get any cags to buy a digital copy for $5.

Warner HMV is going to pull a Disney-style vault practice with all of the Harry Potter movies:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7614

Deathly Hallows Pt 2 and the complete 8-film collection will be on the shelf from release date until the end of the year, and then they're gone until some time into 2012, plus the other 7 films.

bread's done
Back