Blu-ray Discussion Thread - The One and Only

Got my copy in the mail from Amazon today. It seemed to work fine on my PS3 with no issues. Plus, I saved money on my ca-

I mean, I saved money by preordering on Amazon (as I'm sure you are all aware of that stuff), and surprisingly they sent it out yesterday and it got here today, so I'm happy.

I was already struggling with whether or not I should get Iron Man but seeing all these difficulties makes me lean toward the "not worth all the hassle" attitude. There's plenty of other Blu Rays between now and christmas for me to waste my money on.

Seems like the only issue is with BD-Live. I have yet to try to play it again on my ps3 however I just put it in my BH200(LG Super Blue Combo player) and the part that it froze on played fine after I updated my player. The BH200 has 4 updates on LG's site and I had the oldest one on mine. Now I'm trying to get the driver update and Should be all up to date.

Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that there allegedly was going to be issues with the initial run of the Iron Man BD. I am guessing this is the problem. I think I will hold off a bit on this one.

[quote name='cdeener']Luckily, Blockbuster wouldn't let anyone buy or rent the Blu-ray version of Iron Man but they stated that the replacement disc should be at the store tomorrow so I will have to go back tomorrow. Hopefully, I can get it for $29.99 like some have reported since I didn't fully pay off my pre-order.[/QUOTE]

They were told to trash them last week.

I've looked through some of the problems here and I honestly haven't had any with my PS3. The BD-Live worked fine (I was able to register an account and use the "quiz" thing they had.)

The first load time of the disc seemed to be the longest, but after putting it in to check out the extras on the first disc, it seemed to load like any other disc.

[quote name='guyver2077']i dont think this is a disc issue.. im pretty sure just an update or patch is needed..[/QUOTE]

just popped it in and it loaded up in about 5 minutes (15 is a bit of a stretch) on the PS3. bd data took up 12mb so i'm guessing that's the cause of the slow start up. i've downloaded themes that size and it took about as much time.

@neocisco - no prob.

After turning off my network connection and watching Iron Man , the BD live doesn't want to work at all .
I deleted the files from the BD Utility folder , but it didn't help .

Did anyone else do this and have a problem ?

Is this bd live crap manditory? I don't like the sound of it. You don't have to be online to play the movie do you? :roll:

Anyway, I saw the box at Target and left the store with a nice C9 by champion jacket instead... Guess I'll pick the regular one at Fry's or BB.

Well I hope it is just my disc because after all the updates to my LG BH200 it now shuts off after about a half hour. I tried to watch all the deleted sceens and got to about the last of them if not the last one and it shut off. I'm trying another BD to see if it is my player or not. If it is the player I'm calling LG if it is not I'm takeing the movie back to best buy and geting a new one.

Just a helpful hint.... If you do a software update to get your PS3 at the most current version, you will have no problems playing this disc.

I had the loading error myself, but then read the note in the box saying that you may need to upgrade to the latest version of the firmware, I did so, and have had no problems whatsoever... No having to disconnect the internet or anything... Just the simple software update.

Hope it helps some.

-K

I'm going to try searching for an available PS3 update, but I think I'm at the latest or one minor version prior to the latest.

I popped in my Iron Man disc 1, and sure enough, it sat at the chest logo for a while. I let it sit for about 15-20 minutes. I flipped over to some TV and then flipped back. It then booted into the disc. I exited the disc back to my PS3 menu and started it back up to see if it had the long load again. Sure enough, it sat at the logo. This is an original release 60GB model. I have a newer 80gb model I need to try it on. That one I know has the latest and greatest firmware.

This is the latest "fixed" disc since mine had the updated UPC sticker on it.

[quote name='sendme']Well I hope it is just my disc because after all the updates to my LG BH200 it now shuts off after about a half hour. I tried to watch all the deleted sceens and got to about the last of them if not the last one and it shut off. I'm trying another BD to see if it is my player or not. If it is the player I'm calling LG if it is not I'm takeing the movie back to best buy and geting a new one.[/QUOTE]

It played perfect in my LG 200.

I tried 30 Days of Night and it froze and shut off at 33 minutes and 7 seconds into the movie. So I called LG and they are going to have me send the player into them so they can downgrade it back to what it was when I bought it. It would be nice if they would just update it hower seeing how they are not I'm just going to plug it into the tv in the living room and plug the network cable into it and upgrade it that way. I just hope that if I upgrade it again this does not happen. Atleast sending it back to them is all free unless I have to buy a box to up it in.

[quote name='Richlough']After turning off my network connection and watching Iron Man , the BD live doesn't want to work at all .
I deleted the files from the BD Utility folder , but it didn't help .

Did anyone else do this and have a problem ?[/quote]
The same thing happened to me. :bomb:

After I deleted the BD utility files and had Iron Man redownload them I have had no problems (movie boots right up, tried out the I.Q thing) . The file is 25MB and I'm using a 60GB PS3.

The Iron Man BD Live seems to OK today , I think it was a problem on the server side .
There's a new prompt that comes up today that was never there last night .

"Additional bonus features are now available via BD-Live for this disc .
Note this one time process may take several minutes depending on your player model and Internet connection speed . Would you like to download these features now ? NO______YES"

It seems I can use my HD-DVD Transformers log-in for Iron Man's BD-Live log-in .

Go ahead Linkin and try it .

Last edited by a moderator:
It worked great on my PS3 today. Not much load time at all. However my BH200 would shut off after about a half hour. I didn't see why I would not be able to downgrade the software on it. So I gave it a shot and I was able to go back to the version that was on the player when I bought it. Only I can not go back to the old drivers because I do not have that file. After doing this Iron Man and another movie that is on SD DVD played fine. So now I dont know if I even want to send it in. I have the newest driver for the player and the old software that came on the player. I will upgrade later and see what happens then.

[quote name='Richlough']The Iron Man BD Live seems to OK today , I think it was a problem on the server side .
There's a new prompt that comes up today that was never there last night .

"Additional bonus features are now available via BD-Live for this disc .
Note this one time process may take several minutes depending on your player model and Internet connection speed . Would you like to download these features now ? NO______YES"

It seems I can use my HD-DVD Transformers log-in for Iron Man's BD-Live log-in .

Go ahead Linkin and try it .[/quote]

My movie should arrive today from Amazon...I never linked up my HD DVD to the net so I'll have to create a new log in. Thanks for the update though...glad it worked.

So is everyone wowed by the iron man transfer? Im still on the fence about buying it as Ive heard the special features are kind of lacking as well as the PQ.

it actually worked this time.. i received a different prompt telling me that bd-live content was detected and if i wanted to do a one time download..

works perfectly now

[quote name='LinkinPrime']My movie should arrive today from Amazon...I never linked up my HD DVD to the net so I'll have to create a new log in. Thanks for the update though...glad it worked.[/QUOTE]

Cool , I figured you would have been all over the extra content from the HD-DVD .

Oh well , anyone else that created a Paramount user-name and log-in , it should work the same .

Well I guess it is back to the old software version on my BH200. Atleast with the second set of drivers it played Iron Man and the other movies. I just hope it goes back to it and I dont brick it. Atleast I was able to watch the movie once all the way through.

I updated my PS3 firmware to 2.43. Sony did not require or recommend the update outside of Japan if you were already on 2.41 or later, which is why I didn't update further.

Iron Man works like a champ now. Hard to say if it was the fix Paramount did on their end, or if it was indeed he firmware.

[quote name='genfuyung']So is everyone wowed by the iron man transfer? Im still on the fence about buying it as Ive heard the special features are kind of lacking as well as the PQ.[/QUOTE]

This is one of those cases where the PQ is exactly what was intended and what we saw in theaters. This isn't one of those movies where the colors pop off the screen -- the film wasn't shot that way, so it was never going to be one of those transfers that "wows" you, if that makes any sense. It looks gritty at times and it's just fine in HD, but it's not SPEED RACER -- nor was it ever intended to be.

[quote name='misbitski']I updated my PS3 firmware to 2.43. Sony did not require or recommend the update outside of Japan if you were already on 2.41 or later, which is why I didn't update further.

Iron Man works like a champ now. Hard to say if it was the fix Paramount did on their end, or if it was indeed he firmware.[/QUOTE]

I already had 2.43 , so it was on Paramount's end of the line .

[quote name='genfuyung']So is everyone wowed by the iron man transfer? Im still on the fence about buying it as Ive heard the special features are kind of lacking as well as the PQ.[/QUOTE]

Just like the HD of King Kong you can tell what is CG and what is not. On dvd or tv I usually cant tell much of a difference and it all blends well. I saw King Kong on tv one day and I knew it was CG but was blended into the actual video a little bit better. I think the CG was blended better in to the actual video in theaters. I have not seen this on a SD DVD so I dont know if it is like this on all of them or not. This is just me. I'm glad I got the BD and not the SD DVD because the picture does look great and does not take away from the movie at all. The BD is well worth it I think even with being able to tell what is CG and what is not better then I think I could on a normal DVD.

"The Iron Man Blu-ray went on sale Tuesday and due to the overwhelming popularity of the release an unprecedented demand was placed on the BD-Live connection. The disc represents a truly state-of-the art Blu-ray presentation with a first of its kind BD-Live application. As such, the heavy amount of traffic strained the servers due to so many people heading to the same destination. The bandwidth capacity was increased in preparation for the release but the demand exceeded all expectations so capacity was expanded dramatically last night and local servers were established worldwide to accommodate all the fans. The issue should be completely resolved but if anyone experiences a brief traffic jam, we have provided consumers with a menu option during disc startup that allows them to go directly to the movie main menu or continue to download the BD-Live features."

^^ from paramount

I popped in Iron Man on my PS3 last night...no issues at all...took about a min on the reactor screen. Movie looks good...was surprised to see some grainy scenes though.

forget that.. everyone should preorder:

51cVx0IcDSL._SS500_.jpg

[quote name='LinkinPrime']The newest Futurama movie "Bender's Big Game" is available for pre-order at Amazon:

$27.95 though :whistle2:|[/QUOTE]

Think I will have to pick that up.

Question RE: Iron Man Bonus Footage.

On the documentary thing on the first disk, there are a few scenes with a collection of statues/action figures in a display cabinet, but two of the characters are blurred out, one of which is a blue and white character, and the other is more a red. Why were these blurred out? Licensing issues?

[quote name='jonlubbe']Question RE: Iron Man Bonus Footage.

On the documentary thing on the first disk, there are a few scenes with a collection of statues/action figures in a display cabinet, but two of the characters are blurred out, one of which is a blue and white character, and the other is more a red. Why were these blurred out? Licensing issues?[/quote]
HAHAHAH i just saw the exact same thing. Maybe there DC figurines.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I popped in Iron Man on my PS3 last night...no issues at all...took about a min on the reactor screen. Movie looks good...was surprised to see some grainy scenes though.[/quote]

Why where you surprised to see grainy scenes?

This was shot partially on film... film has grain. Grain on film is detail... take out the grain you loose detail... Simple as that.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Care to share?[/quote]

Pics > Words

dscn0380hk5.jpg

dscn0381od4.jpg

[quote name='Lice']Why where you surprised to see grainy scenes?

This was shot partially on film... film has grain. Grain on film is detail... take out the grain you loose detail... Simple as that.[/quote]

lol, I just can't except that answer I'm sorry... That's bull

[quote name='VipFREAK']Pics > Words

lol, I just can't except that answer I'm sorry... That's bull[/quote]

If u need proof just look at the sweeny todd blu ray. They took out the grain and now everyone in the movie looks like they are made of plastic. its god awful. grain is a design choice.

Grain is one thing but "noise" like in 300 is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy another. I don't care what you say. Besides do you know how ridiculous you're sounding?

Plastic? yeah... uh huh. Sweeny todd if I remember correctly wasn't all reality based was it? (never saw it) Iron man and 300 on the other hand is reality (yeah yeah... so what there's CGI). You know... take a video camera outside and shoot?

bread's done
Back