Books that you would like to see turned into a movie

Maklershed

CAGiversary!
Feedback
77 (100%)
I thought of this topic last night as I was reading The Ruins. The thought occured to me that it would be perfect as a movie. It would have all the pre-requisits (sp?) a group of attractive 20 somethings, picturesque location, lots of action, good story etc. The other book I can think of that would be good as a movie is The Testament by John Grisham.

So what books have you read that you would like to see turned into a movie?

The Alienist - Caleb Carr
Lamb - Christopher Moore
Fluke - Christopher Moore
Choke - Chuck Palahniuk
Assassination Vacation - Sarah Vowell (hey, if they can turn Fast Food Nation into a movie...)

[quote name='MrBadExample']Lamb - Christopher Moore[/QUOTE]
I'll agree that this book would make a very cute, if not highly controversial, comedy. Nevertheless, I must point out the book left me *highly* underwhelmed.

Ender's Game - As long as they don't cop out and make the characters in the movie older than they are in the book.

A film about Peter the Great based on Robert K. Massie's biography.

[quote name='crystalklear64']I think the Dark Tower series by King has the potential to be an awesome set of movies.[/QUOTE]

Not if they abridge it, which, of course, they'd have to.

The bible would make an awesome movie (old testament), if only they could make it not focus on religion. Lots of entertaining stories in there.

[quote name='crystalklear64']The bible would make an awesome movie (old testament), if only they could make it not focus on religion. Lots of entertaining stories in there.[/quote]

Yeah, I always thought the story of Moses would be a great movie - and that way they could include alot of Ancient Egypt sets and special effects - they could even give it a zippy title like "The Ten Commandments" or "The Prince of Egypt"

[quote name='crystalklear64']I think the Dark Tower series by King has the potential to be an awesome set of movies.[/quote]
Would be an ultimate movie series.

However, I think just The Gunslinger by it self would be a kick ass film.

Roland versus the lobstrosities would be a great fight. Assuming the cast a good Roland.

The Atticus Kodiak series of books by Greg Rucka

more of the Alex Cross series by James Patterson (but with a younger Alex Cross -- not Morgan Freeman)

The Unthinkable Thoughts of Jacob Green by Joshua Braff

A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin would be awesome but it would need several movies to be a good adaptation. I'm not even sure if they'd be able to squeeze each book into one movie.

[quote name='camoor']Yeah, I always thought the story of Moses would be a great movie - and that way they could include alot of Ancient Egypt sets and special effects - they could even give it a zippy title like "The Ten Commandments" or "The Prince of Egypt"[/QUOTE]
Bleh Moses? Unless he's gunning down romans with Jesus, its a yawn fest. I'm talking exploding cities and people turning into salt!

Voltaire's Candide - as long as they didnt try to change it or make it PC and were faithfull to the original re time/settings/characters/actions etc.

[quote name='afedock']Webster presents - The Dictionary[/quote]
:lol:

INSIDE THE COMPANY: CIA DIARY by Philip Agee

written by an actual member of the CIA. & he didnt have nice things to say. the CIA also didnt appreciate it. they put into law making it treason to discuss company affairs after it was released. the intelligence identities protection act.

Really, most of what I want to see adapted into film is of the alternative comic book variety.

[quote name='propeller_head']:lol:

INSIDE THE COMPANY: CIA DIARY by Philip Agee

written by an actual member of the CIA. & he didnt have nice things to say. the CIA also didnt appreciate it. they put into law making it treason to discuss company affairs after it was released. the intelligence identities protection act.[/QUOTE]

Subby?

[quote name='RedComet']A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin would be awesome but it would need several movies to be a good adaptation. I'm not even sure if they'd be able to squeeze each book into one movie.[/quote]

While I am a huge, huge fan of the books, I think that it would make a poor translation onto the big screen. The sheer volume of characters / actors would make it prohibitive and the first book alone would make the extended Lord of the Rings look short. They would have to cut way too much stuff out or combine characters to make it work and either of those would piss me off.

Bottom line, some things are better left as books.

TBW

[quote name='NeoFrank1']World War Z by Max Brooks ... It could be like Flags of our Zombies or something, I guess.[/QUOTE]

The movie rights were bought before the book was even released. They were bought by Brad Pitt and his production company. They are already working on the film (what stage I don't know).

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Neuromancer. End topic. =)[/QUOTE]

I just finished reading that and it was fantastic. Totally agree with you.

[quote name='sketch226']I just finished reading that and it was fantastic. Totally agree with you.[/quote]

Projects to turn Neuromancer into a movie seem to never get off the ground. Though I've only read half of it, it would make a sick movie

[quote name='jPoD']It took this long? Catcher in the Rye FTW![/quote]

Don't ever count on it! No offense meant. Salinger refuses to sell any of the right to his books because He absolutly hated the way they treated "Uncle Wiggly in Connecticut". Theres even a stipulation in his last will and testament that blocks movies being made of his book.

As for my preference for a book to movie is The Last Familt by John Ramsey Miller. I read that sucker in 3 days when I was 14 or 15. It was that much of a page turner for me.

The plot: Paul Masterson was once the best at what he did, the undisputed star of the DEA's strike force. Then, six years ago, an ambush on a Miami pier killed his two young proteges and left Paul half-blind, his confidence shattered. He fled his wife and children for the majestic silence of Montana, where he has lived a hermit's life - until now. Martin Fletcher is the diabolical DEA renegade who ordered Paul's death six years ago - just one step in an insanely single-minded drive for revenge against the colleagues he believes betrayed him. One day, he said, he would eat their hearts out. And Martin Fletcher is a man of his word. For six years, he's preyed on the families of his enemies. One by one, he's stalked them, stolen into their lives, destroyed them. Paul Masterson's family - his estranged wife, Laura, his teenage daughter and nine-year-old son - are Martin Fletcher's final target. The last family. And Paul Masterson, who once feared no one, must reach deep into his tortured being and recapture the strength, the fierce instinct to survive, that long ago made him Martin Fletcher's equal. He must discover a way to create a foolproof safety net around his family's home - all the while using them to lure an inhuman predator. And he must find the courage to face the people he loves most in the world.

If they go by the book, and not fucked around with it, its a slick story

[quote name='gregthomas77']The movie rights were bought before the book was even released. They were bought by Brad Pitt and his production company. They are already working on the film (what stage I don't know).[/QUOTE] :drool: :drool: :drool:

I'm a Dork so....

Dragonlance
Dark Elf Trilogy
Tons of Star Wars books I've read.

God I should read more than Fantasy and Sci-Fi.

bread's done
Back