Borderlands 2 Ultimate Loot Chest Edition Now at International Retailers for Preorder

aTaRiFrEaK223

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
Not really a deal, but it is sold out everywhere else.

Xbox 360
http://www.frys.com/product/7190922?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG DEAD

PS3
http://www.frys.com/product/7190972?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG DEAD

PC
http://www.frys.com/product/7191002?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG DEAD

Play Asia (US starting soon, Asia Version Available)
http://www.play-asia.com/paOScore/1...+2+(Ultimate+Loot+Chest+Limited+Edition).html

Edit: Also Amazon.de ships to the US. I bought my Sonic Generations Collector's Edition from them. Not sure if 360 will be region free, but PS3 is so I'll post a link to that.

http://www.amazon.de/2K-Games-Borde...8E14/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1342480565&sr=8-4 DEAD

http://www.amazon.it/Borderlands-Ul...DE/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1347412908&sr=8-15 Game Region Free NEW

It's listed as 129 Euros, but they take the Italian tax off when shipping to the US, so it comes out to 109 Euros for the game and 10 Euros for shipping. So 117 Euros for the game shipped which is $150.xx. Only a few cents more than the US version!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am somewhat glad Buy.com cancelled mine. I was somewhat looking forward to all the goodies in the box but after watching the IGN.com unboxing I was a bit underwhelmed. I think I would be more satisfied putting the money I saved towards the Borderlands 2 art book (I wish it has hardcover though).

[quote name='MaryMaryMary']So you really think a bobble head, cloth map, stickers, art book, and a little plastic chest is worth another $90? I guess if you collect it and don't open it, it'd be nice to have if they really do end up being rare after launch[/QUOTE]

Maybe not $90, but i love the game so whatever. Probably worth $100 total but it might end up being rare. I really dont get it though...none of this is a surprise including the size of the chest. Just funny seeing people's reactions to something they already knew everything about.

After watching a few videos on YouTube, I have finally decided I am going to preorder The Borderlands 2 (reg. edition) over preordering dishonored for my PS3. Worst case scenario, I end up not liking it and just trade it in to best buy. I think I'm making a good decision, will you guys help me feel better about it lol this will be the first time I ever play a borderlands game

[quote name='MaryMaryMary']After watching a few videos on YouTube, I have finally decided I am going to preorder The Borderlands 2 (reg. edition) over preordering dishonored for my PS3. Worst case scenario, I end up not liking it and just trade it in to best buy. I think I'm making a good decision, will you guys help me feel better about it lol this will be the first time I ever play a borderlands game[/QUOTE]

You'll love it. You're making the right call.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Maybe not $90, but i love the game so whatever. Probably worth $100 total but it might end up being rare. I really dont get it though...none of this is a surprise including the size of the chest. Just funny seeing people's reactions to something they already knew everything about.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I don't get it either. It's not like the contents were a fucking surprise. I know people are bitching about the quality/size of the chest but that is just as idiotic; when was the last time a CE came with a high end high quality item? Dead Space 2 (no); Skyrim (no); KZ3 (no); Gears 3 (no); Reach (no)....

The only difference is that this is actually limited, numbered and has a high resale value.

[quote name='MaryMaryMary']After watching a few videos on YouTube, I have finally decided I am going to preorder The Borderlands 2 (reg. edition) over preordering dishonored for my PS3. Worst case scenario, I end up not liking it and just trade it in to best buy. I think I'm making a good decision, will you guys help me feel better about it lol this will be the first time I ever play a borderlands game[/QUOTE]

Get some friends to play it with you. Borderlands is leagues more fun with friends.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Get some friends to play it with you. Borderlands is leagues more fun with friends.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing that made me not want to get it because all my friends play Cod, BF3 and sports games. Can it still be fun if you play with ppl you don't know because I really don't want to play this by myself

Wtf best buy wont let me do store pickup, is there a certain cutoff date to do store pickup if someone happens to know

This will be my last post since I know this a BL CE and I don't want to annoy you guys

Man this thing is terrible. Everyone should immediately cancel their Amazon.com orders. It's really really bad and gearbox should feel bad about this. Plus this thing isn't really rare. Over 50,000?? I can't even count that high. It's probably not even a real number.

[quote name='MaryMaryMary']That's the thing that made me not want to get it because all my friends play Cod, BF3 and sports games. Can it still be fun if you play with ppl you don't know because I really don't want to play this by myself[/QUOTE]
IGN said this which I dont really understand: 'Since loot is shared you need to pick your partners carefully. Playing with strangers or super aggressive friends means you’ll likely find yourself in a race to see who can grab everything the fastest, and that’s really not all that fun. No matter how you feel about Diablo III, making it so each player only sees their own loot is brilliant design, and it’s a shame Borderlands 2 takes it in a route that means people are competing with one another'.

I guess I dont know what shared loot means. To me that would mean everyone would get it and not just the person picking it up. But if that were the case then what IGN said wouldn't make much sense. So I guess I'm just not understanding something about it. Maybe it means they can choose to give it to you if they want?

I just called up Fry's to see if I can get an update and they told me it should ship.....on September 30th -_-

I guess I can rule them out.

[quote name='sgaldis']After seeing that video, I can safely say that is one kick-ass, ultra-rare Rubbermaid tub.[/QUOTE]

On the positive side it'll hold a hell of a lot of potato salad at the Christmas party this year

[quote name='MaryMaryMary']Wtf best buy wont let me do store pickup, is there a certain cutoff date to do store pickup if someone happens to know

This will be my last post since I know this a BL CE and I don't want to annoy you guys[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. Why not just pre order in store?

[quote name='Electro']I doubt it. Why not just pre order in store?[/QUOTE]

I'd rather do store pickup so I don't have to go to best buy for like the 5th time this week

[quote name='sephiroth1215']I just called up Fry's to see if I can get an update and they told me it should ship.....on September 30th -_-

I guess I can rule them out.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying that your lying, but that sounds like bullshit. Over time, we have been overlayed wrong information from FRY's. On the website, it says that it will ship Monday the 17th on the website. I really trust what the site says more that what someone on the phone says.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Man this thing is terrible. Everyone should immediately cancel their Amazon.com orders. It's really really bad and gearbox should feel bad about this. Plus this thing isn't really rare. Over 50,000?? I can't even count that high. It's probably not even a real number.

IGN said this which I dont really understand: 'Since loot is shared you need to pick your partners carefully. Playing with strangers or super aggressive friends means you’ll likely find yourself in a race to see who can grab everything the fastest, and that’s really not all that fun. No matter how you feel about Diablo III, making it so each player only sees their own loot is brilliant design, and it’s a shame Borderlands 2 takes it in a route that means people are competing with one another'.

I guess I dont know what shared loot means. To me that would mean everyone would get it and not just the person picking it up. But if that were the case then what IGN said wouldn't make much sense. So I guess I'm just not understanding something about it. Maybe it means they can choose to give it to you if they want?[/QUOTE]

I've not played Diablo 3 but I have played a bit of SW: TOR and I'm assuming he means 2 things:

1. Loot only drops if its an enemy you damaged.
2. Anything that is graded mid to high quality is put up to a "greed or need" vote among party members then a virtual dice roll happens (among the need players only or among the greed players if no one selects need) and the winner gets the item.

[quote name='ShockandAww']I guess I dont know what shared loot means. To me that would mean everyone would get it and not just the person picking it up. But if that were the case then what IGN said wouldn't make much sense. So I guess I'm just not understanding something about it. Maybe it means they can choose to give it to you if they want?[/QUOTE]

Shared loot means that one thing drops, one person gets it, everyone else gets nothing, so if you play with strangers you run the risk of them snapping up items that are appropriate for your build, and not so much for theirs, because they can and are unlikely to see you again.

[quote name='GBAstar']Yeah I don't get it either. It's not like the contents were a fucking surprise. I know people are bitching about the quality/size of the chest but that is just as idiotic; when was the last time a CE came with a high end high quality item? Dead Space 2 (no); Skyrim (no); KZ3 (no); Gears 3 (no); Reach (no)....

The only difference is that this is actually limited, numbered and has a high resale value.[/QUOTE]

GBAstar and I are discussing this in the SF 25th Anniversary thread but if you're talking about a high quality statue/physical item I think the Guild Wars 2 CE statue and/or the Big Daddy from Bioshock 1 CE takes it hands down. The Skyrim one is pretty good also, and don't knock the Ezio statue from the AC 2 CE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS85KJsw2rg&noredirect=1

[quote name='MSUHitman']I've not played Diablo 3 but I have played a bit of SW: TOR and I'm assuming he means 2 things:

1. Loot only drops if its an enemy you damaged.
2. Anything that is graded mid to high quality is put up to a "greed or need" vote among party members then a virtual dice roll happens (among the need players only or among the greed players if no one selects need) and the winner gets the item.[/QUOTE]

No, in Borderlands 2 all the loot will be dropped onto the floor for anybody to pick up, Diablo 2 style.

Play with friends you can trust to give you upgrades to your preferred weapons and you'll do fine. That's how my group plays, pickup everything worthwhile and sort it out later.

Lol at everyone cancelling theirs...they're still going for more than $300 on ebay for ones that have bids. Even after fees that's at least $120 profit or so. Waaaahhhh, I don't wike how the chest isn't the size of an actual tweasuh chest, so take that Amazon. Amusing to me, but you'll make someone VERY happy when a few more pop up for retail price.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']No, in Borderlands 2 all the loot will be dropped onto the floor for anybody to pick up, Diablo 2 style.

Play with friends you can trust to give you upgrades to your preferred weapons and you'll do fine. That's how my group plays, pickup everything worthwhile and sort it out later.[/QUOTE]

Right, I was responding to the person asking for clarification on the shared loot system the IGN reviewer wished Borderlands 2 had but someone else explained it better than I b/c I'm not among the PC Master Race, although I would step my toe in more than I currently do if I didn't have such crappy internet and everything takes so damn long to download.

Borderlands 2 Community Day stream is on. They were playing the game earlier but a panel with some of the devs is now on. One of them described going to the factory where the loot boxes were manufactured. That same factory also was a licensee and manufacturer of Hello Kitty items and he had them create a Hello Kitty loot box.

[quote name='sengar']Shared loot means that one thing drops, one person gets it, everyone else gets nothing, so if you play with strangers you run the risk of them snapping up items that are appropriate for your build, and not so much for theirs, because they can and are unlikely to see you again.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense thanks. I personally wouldn't call that shared loot but ok.

[quote name='Drowningshrimp']I'm not saying that your lying, but that sounds like bullshit. Over time, we have been overlayed wrong information from FRY's. On the website, it says that it will ship Monday the 17th on the website. I really trust what the site says more that what someone on the phone says.[/QUOTE]

I guess, this is the first time I ever dealt with this store before so I don't know how they are. I was going to call once again on monday if I don't get an email saying they shipped it. I think the computer might be saying the 30th because they took too many pre-orders and they are expecting a 2nd shipment for some reason. Others could say it will ship on the 17th.

[quote name='MSUHitman']GBAstar and I are discussing this in the SF 25th Anniversary thread but if you're talking about a high quality statue/physical item I think the Guild Wars 2 CE statue and/or the Big Daddy from Bioshock 1 CE takes it hands down. The Skyrim one is pretty good also, and don't knock the Ezio statue from the AC 2 CE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS85KJsw2rg&noredirect=1[/QUOTE]

The Skyrim CE is actually the SAME situation as this. People were expecting it to be made of pewter or something, even though it actually looks awesome, it was "too light" for them. Obviously they produced too many Skyrim CE's, but I'm watching the unboxing video for a third time, and as a collectible just to display, I'd probably pay $30-$35 for the chest itself. If you collect/like bobbleheads you'd easily pay $15 for this one. Is the rest worth $40? Probably not, maybe halfway there at $20...so it's a tad overpriced, but seeing as it's not overproduced, even pieced out it'll probably hold some value. Keep in mind, I'm guessing that 50K number is worldwide, so how many will be in English? 20K maybe? 25K?

What people are forgetting is if NECA or some collectible manufacturer made a replica prop display of the loot chest they would charge $100 - $150 and the quality would only be a slight improvement.

Loot at the portal guns; $139.99 and they are not great quality.

You are paying for the fact you are getting something where only 50,000 or so were produced worldwide; that may seem like a lot but considering this game will eventually sell several million copies it really is not.

[quote name='GBAstar']What people are forgetting is if NECA or some collectible manufacturer made a replica prop display of the loot chest they would charge $100 - $150 and the quality would only be a slight improvement.

Loot at the portal guns; $139.99 and they are not great quality.

You are paying for the fact you are getting something where only 50,000 or so were produced worldwide; that may seem like a lot but considering this game will eventually sell several million copies it really is not.[/QUOTE]

People on this forum have jizzed all over those Portal Guns, and I personally wouldn't spend the money on them, but you're absolutely right. At the very least that chest would retail empty for $80. And... it looks pretty good to me. Regardless of what people may say now, I firmly believe they thought it was going to end up being almost to scale with an actual chest and they're disappointed the actual item isn't what they built up in their heads. It's cool, I've done that...but it's on you, no Gearbox imo. Gearbox even sent out a picture with a little, tiny dog inside it to show scale.

I guess the question I have looking at the loot chest is why couldn't gear box churn out more of these when they sold out. Seems like a pretty basic mold for the loot chest now that I have seen the unboxing. 4 Months should be enough lead time to ramp up production. My guess is they were using the shortage to build up the hype for the game and get some free press.

[quote name='kklems']I guess the question I have looking at the loot chest is why couldn't gear box churn out more of these when they sold out. Seems like a pretty basic mold for the loot chest now that I have seen the unboxing. 4 Months should be enough lead time to ramp up production. My guess is they were using the shortage to build up the hype for the game and get some free press.[/QUOTE]

uh... no.

Maybe they are actually a honorable company that won't go on record stating they only made "X" amount and then a few months later say fuck the consumer and print several thousand more (*ahem* Capcom *ahem* NECA)

The Loot Chest Edition is limited. It is numbered. I truly hope they do not print more.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']People on this forum have jizzed all over those Portal Guns, and I personally wouldn't spend the money on them, but you're absolutely right. At the very least that chest would retail empty for $80. And... it looks pretty good to me. Regardless of what people may say now, I firmly believe they thought it was going to end up being almost to scale with an actual chest and they're disappointed the actual item isn't what they built up in their heads. It's cool, I've done that...but it's on you, no Gearbox imo. Gearbox even sent out a picture with a little, tiny dog inside it to show scale.[/QUOTE]

Basically, many gamers these days have entitlement issues, and think they deserve everything. I've seen idiots complaining that it's not made of steel. Seriously, some people actually expected it to be made of steel! Where this sense of entitlement comes from is beyond me, but christ, these fools need to take their bitching and moaning elsewhere. Just because it didn't meet their highly unrealistic expectations, they tarnish the image of the item, and attempt to guilt trip everyone who bought it. For every immature, loud-mouthed prick who complains, there's one hundred satisfied customers. You just don't hear from them...

[quote name='PetersHere']Basically, many gamers these days have entitlement issues, and think they deserve everything. I've seen idiots complaining that it's not made of steel. Seriously, some people actually expected it to be made of steel! Where this sense of entitlement comes from is beyond me, but christ, these fools need to take their bitching and moaning elsewhere. Just because it didn't meet their highly unrealistic expectations, they tarnish the image of the item, and attempt to guilt trip everyone who bought it. For every immature, loud-mouthed prick who complains, there's one hundred satisfied customers. You just don't hear from them...[/QUOTE]

My issue isn't the box (which seems fine and better than Halo 3's helmet) but what you get for the $150. No soundtrack, some DLC that will (likely) be available for all later, digital comic, stickers, and a cloth map. I'd rather have a big statue of the cast ala Halo Reach than a box painted like a loot chest in the game. Steelbook is a nice touch but not enough IMO.

This set, minus the difference in size, seems much like the God of War 3 CE in style for $100 which I regret buying at that price. At least it had a ton of digital soundtracks.

This Borderlands 2 UE version selling out will make it rarer but I just don't agree with the decisions Gearbox made. It's not terrible like the overpriced Ubisoft CE's ($120 for the AC 3 CE are you kidding me?!) but for a developer that's so fan oriented I find this set underwhelming, and I was saying that when this version was announced in the spring (listen to Checkmate Arcade archives if you don't believe me.)

Feel free to ignore me, this is one of the more active threads on CAG with a good discussion going that's not about politics and I'm bored at work.

[quote name='MSUHitman']My issue isn't the box (which seems fine and better than Halo 3's helmet) but what you get for the $150. No soundtrack, some DLC that will (likely) be available for all later, digital comic, stickers, and a cloth map. I'd rather have a big statue of the cast ala Halo Reach than a box painted like a loot chest in the game. Steelbook is a nice touch but not enough IMO.

This set, minus the difference in size, seems much like the God of War 3 CE in style for $100 which I regret buying at that price. At least it had a ton of digital soundtracks.

This Borderlands 2 UE version selling out will make it rarer but I just don't agree with the decisions Gearbox made. It's not terrible like the overpriced Ubisoft CE's ($120 for the AC 3 CE are you kidding me?!) but for a developer that's so fan oriented I find this set underwhelming, and I was saying that when this version was announced in the spring (listen to Checkmate Arcade archives if you don't believe me.)

Feel free to ignore me, this is one of the more active threads on CAG with a good discussion going that's not about politics and I'm bored at work.[/QUOTE]

It is numbered. It is a popular game. It sold out. End of discussion. Oh and you forgot the bobble head :)

In all honesty if NECA made the exact same chest and the exact same bobble head; repackaged them and sold them individually you would end up paying $100 for both items.

You can't discredit them because they are plastic, look cheap and/or are made in china.

What you're forgetting is these aren't hasbro toys. They aren't for sale at every single retailer in unlimited quanitites. There are very few made and that is it.

And in reference to the God of War 3 CE soundtrack... for awhile you could get that for free from the official site even if you didn't purchase the CE.

[quote name='MSUHitman']My issue isn't the box (which seems fine and better than Halo 3's helmet) but what you get for the $150. No soundtrack, some DLC that will (likely) be available for all later, digital comic, stickers, and a cloth map. I'd rather have a big statue of the cast ala Halo Reach than a box painted like a loot chest in the game. Steelbook is a nice touch but not enough IMO.

Feel free to ignore me, this is one of the more active threads on CAG with a good discussion going that's not about politics and I'm bored at work.[/QUOTE]

Not to repeat myself, but you did leave out the artbook and the bobblehead. The artbook isn't worth much, but the bobblehead and case are pretty cool. I'll also bet you could sell the steelbook alone on ebay for $25.

I learnt after the Forza 4 CE mishap to always preorder immediately and ask questions the Sunday before. I for one am getting exactly what I expected and can't wait to get this in the mail. Not to flip, but to collect. I doubt this will ever reach KoA or Crysis 2 levels of collectability but it's nice to know I won't be seeing this on clearance by Black Friday

[quote name='snakeinthegrass']I learnt after the Forza 4 CE mishap to always preorder immediately and ask questions the Sunday before. I for one am getting exactly what I expected and can't wait to get this in the mail. Not to flip, but to collect. I doubt this will ever reach KoA or Crysis 2 levels of collectability but it's nice to know I won't be seeing this on clearance by Black Friday[/QUOTE]

The only KoA CE's that are worth money are the two high end ones that cost a lot in the first place.

They aren't selling for the $600+ people are asking for on eBay and IIRC didn't they cost close to $400?

I know the special edition---the cheapest one they made of which there are only supposed to be 2000 made barely fetch more then they retailed for. I have two PS3 and two PC editions and I'm not sure what to do with them. To make it worse there is no way to tell the version apart from each other unless you keep them in the shipping box they arrived in.

I have no intention on keeping anything in mine sealed. The game is being played immediately and everything else is being displayed. It's fuckING Borderlands. It's worth $90 extra.

[quote name='GBAstar']The only KoA CE's that are worth money are the two high end ones that cost a lot in the first place.

They aren't selling for the $600+ people are asking for on eBay and IIRC didn't they cost close to $400?

I know the special edition---the cheapest one they made of which there are only supposed to be 2000 made barely fetch more then they retailed for. I have two PS3 and two PC editions and I'm not sure what to do with them. To make it worse there is no way to tell the version apart from each other unless you keep them in the shipping box they arrived in.[/QUOTE]

It was $200 and $250. The $250 one came with a autograph of one of the developers. That one was selling for over a thousand.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']I have no intention on keeping anything in mine sealed. The game is being played immediately and everything else is being displayed. It's fuckING Borderlands. It's worth $90 extra.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I'm glad I ordered a ULCE. I believe that it is worth $150 for everything that you get. Some might not see the value, but it's there. They are planning on making the Underdome Riot available for everyone eventually. And you will be given the chance to obtain golden key's later on in the game. This leaves the Relic. I'm pretty sure you can find something like that in game as well. So pretty much, if you ordered from Fry's you won't be missing out on any in-game special stuff. They only thing is, you will need to pay for the first DLC/Premium Club. Unless you got the Season Pass.

[quote name='Youngnoble']It was $200 and $250. The $250 one came with a autograph of one of the developers. That one was selling for over a thousand.[/QUOTE]

^ Maybe at release... haven't seen anything close that (in fact haven't seen anything over $600) in quite some time and I check often because I am trying to unload the KOA special editions that I have.

But yes it is really limited

[quote name='GBAstar']uh... no.

Maybe they are actually a honorable company that won't go on record stating they only made "X" amount and then a few months later say fuck the consumer and print several thousand more (*ahem* Capcom *ahem* NECA)

The Loot Chest Edition is limited. It is numbered. I truly hope they do not print more.[/QUOTE]

You give them more credit...

http://kotaku.com/5915601/and-now-a-guest-post-from-gearbox-boss-randy-pitchford-

States they were looking into making more loot chests not we will stick to our guns about this being a limited edition.

[quote name='kklems']You give them more credit...

http://kotaku.com/5915601/and-now-a-guest-post-from-gearbox-boss-randy-pitchford-

States they were looking into making more loot chests not we will stick to our guns about this being a limited edition.[/QUOTE]

I guess they will have to scratch out the certificate.

This is what I was looking for. I knows it's old. I heard Anthony Burch say it a week or so ago that you can use Eridium to modify your guns.

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/17070...ve-new-playable-characters-customizable-guns/

[quote name='kklems']You give them more credit...

States they were looking into making more loot chests not we will stick to our guns about this being a limited edition.[/QUOTE]

That article is from month's ago. At pax he confirmed there will be no more and there are no plans to produce a loot chest for individual sale. He did say that if they did, it would be different from the one included in the ultimate edition.

Just picked up a copy of Borderlands 2.... cant wait to start it when I get back from buying my gold membership in a little bit...

Good luck to everyone getting their loot chests and/or regular copies :D So excitd!!

[quote name='cigaro']Just picked up a copy of Borderlands 2.... cant wait to start it when I get back from buying my gold membership in a little bit...

Good luck to everyone getting their loot chests and/or regular copies :D So excitd!![/QUOTE]

Excuse me? What retailer did you get it early from?

[quote name='Youngnoble']That article is from month's ago. At pax he confirmed there will be no more and there are no plans to produce a loot chest for individual sale. He did say that if they did, it would be different from the one included in the ultimate edition.[/QUOTE]

Good I'll buy that one, too. :D

[quote name='Drowningshrimp']Excuse me? What retailer did you get it early from?[/QUOTE]

Most likely the Gamestop employee rental program

[quote name='Drowningshrimp']Explain. I would have like to played it this weekend:p[/QUOTE]

You guys don't get to play the games early under the guise that it allows you to better understand the game and explain it to the customer?

I thought that rumor had been confirmed as true many years ago

[quote name='GBAstar']You guys don't get to play the games early under the guise that it allows you to better understand the game and explain it to the customer?

I thought that rumor had been confirmed as true many years ago[/QUOTE]

No, I can't entirely say that this rumor is true. Some stores might let the employee rent out pre-release games but at a high risk. When I worked at GameStop, anyone caught renting a game before release date would get fired on the spot as I knew a few managers who got caught with said game and then let go.

bread's done
Back