Borderlands discussion - Is Moxxi hot or not?

Warning: Big pictures.

Legendary:
cimg0063wa.jpg
cimg0064f.jpg

Alien:

cimg0065pf.jpg
cimg0066.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If I join someone's game who is further in the story than me, and complete some missions, when I resume my game will those missions be completed once I get to them?

Not if they're too far ahead in the story. It tells you something like "This player is too far along in the story, you should host your own game if you want to continue through" or something.

Has anyone else noticed that almost every gun you find is either 3-4 levels above you or a total downgrade? I must say though this game is pretty amazing. If anyone want to play send me a FR: TastyMouthful

Well, went broke and gun-less pretty fast. Machine was selling a catalyst that reduced team cool down by 16%, +1 Team shield regen, and 7 assorted skill points. Sold nearly all of my inventory just to buy that thing. Don't know if that was a smart idea or not yet.

I think I might be at the point where I'm either going to have to grind some levels or just play the game co-op exclusively because it's gotten really hard over the last few missions. There's just wave after wave after wave of enemy that take up 2-3 clips to kill. But once I get my Soldier to level 15, my turret could be a saving grace.

Brilliant game. Been playing it non-stop since yesterday.

Me and my girlfriend started off doing splitscreen co-op as Brick and Lilith respectively.

What a pain in the ass. Constantly out of ammo, constantly dying. Love it when there is 3 Badass Bruisers in the hallway that you have to go through in order to get the (leaving out spoilers) =p

Oh, and the Bruisers were all 4 levels higher. I don't think i've ever died that much in any game.

Made a Mordecai for single player, started off as the typical sniping build, then switched on a whim to a Bloodwing spec at like level 21. Love it, he hits for 1kish and one shots almost everything, also have that talent fully filled out now at 25 where he hits additional targets, so he hits six targets and they all drop health/cash/ammo from the other talent I picked.

Can't put the game down. Got it for the PC also since all the friends decided that was the version they wanted =/

Edit- Ok, so I played earlier today and then left for my afternoon class. Everything was working just fine. When I came back after class I had purple lines horizontally all over my TV. Not sure if it is my Xbox doing it as the problem occurs even when the TV is switched to normal cable. Makes it really terrible to try and play when there is graphical artifacts all over the place. 3 month old Xbox arcade with the new chipset too. Any ideas? Much appreciated =(

Beat the game. Currently at level 37 on my second playthrough.

Word of advice is to not level over 32 on the first playthrough. Makes everything boring.

[quote name='moojuice']Well, went broke and gun-less pretty fast. Machine was selling a catalyst that reduced team cool down by 16%, +1 Team shield regen, and 7 assorted skill points. Sold nearly all of my inventory just to buy that thing. Don't know if that was a smart idea or not yet.[/QUOTE]

You found a mod that gives you +7 skill points? What class?

[quote name='tokitoki50']Not if they're too far ahead in the story. It tells you something like "This player is too far along in the story, you should host your own game if you want to continue through" or something.[/QUOTE]

Can you at least keep the loot/exp you get?

Oh man, as cool as this game is single-player, it is just phenomenally fun with a good 4-player co-op group. I really hope it's taking off and selling as well as some of the blogs are saying.

[quote name='seanr1221']Can you at least keep the loot/exp you get?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, when you resume your single player game it keeps everything about your character in tact since leaving (guns, XP, talents, etc).

It will also save your location where you exited during your co-op match. The only it won't save is the quest progress unless you're on the same storyline quests in your single player game as your buddy(ies) are in your co-op. If they're too far ahead of you, you're going to have to do them over again in your single player.

Just have your buddies join YOUR game and bring you back up to where THEY are if you want to progress at the same level.

[quote name='Geello']
Me and my girlfriend started off doing splitscreen co-op as Brick and Lilith respectively.

What a pain in the ass. Constantly out of ammo, constantly dying. Love it when there is 3 Badass Bruisers in the hallway that you have to go through in order to get the (leaving out spoilers) =p[/QUOTE]

Sorry about your TV breaking.
Anyway, the ammo problems can be avoided. Just buy more ammo whenever you come across a vending machine. It's really cheap. It is also a good idea to buy ammo upgrades for each type of weapon you use. They're like $6,000, but since you lose money when dying, it's smarter to put your $ into valuable upgrades than lose a bunch when you die.

[quote name='eastx'] ... since you lose money when dying, it's smarter to put your $ into valuable upgrades than lose a bunch when you die.[/QUOTE]

This. ^^

$1500 repair bills HURT ... especially after watching an enemy that's almost dead win because you ran out of ammo when you're trying to get a second wind.

I believe it is ... mine were that high when I had around $25,000. Since then I'm down to around $2,000 and they were costing me like $200.

Seems to be roughly 10% of your current bank.

[quote name='Weepingwillow']I believe it is ... mine were that high when I had around $25,000. Since then I'm down to around $2,000 and they were costing me like $200.

Seems to be roughly 10% of your current bank.[/QUOTE]

During the later parts of the game, you can easily have over a million dollars on you. Losing $100,000 per respawn sucks.

[quote name='Poor2More']One thing this game need is a inventory box (like Sacred, thats shareable between all your created characters)[/QUOTE]

As you progress through the game, you'll find more Claptrap robots. Repair them and they reward you with inventory slots. You'll get 42 by the time you find them all. Combine that with the fact that all party members get those slots, so you end up having more than enough.

[quote name='Trakan']During the later parts of the game, you can easily have over a million dollars on you. Losing $100,000 per respawn sucks.

As you progress through the game, you'll find more Claptrap robots. Repair them and they reward you with inventory slots. You'll get 42 by the time you find them all. Combine that with the fact that all party members get those slots, so you end up having more than enough.[/QUOTE]

Hold up, you get AI party members to fight with you? Thats news to me, I thought it was SOLO the whole game unless you do CO-OP on LIVE?

He's talking about on co-op, everybody gets the storage deck upgrade from repairing clap-traps.

I found two more legendary weapons this morning, I'll post them up in a bit but I'm going to play some more first.

I've beaten the Main story and most of the side quest now. If any one needs any help, lemme know. I've got a level 37 Soldier.

[quote name='Poor2More']One thing this game need is a inventory box (like Sacred, thats shareable between all your created characters)[/QUOTE]

While that would be a nice easy solution, there are several work around methods to trade items between characters.

You can have a friend hold some stuff for you while you switch characters to trade items to another character.

Also you can create another profile on your system with another controller and use that character as a bank mule to hold anything you really want to keep, you don't want to haul with you all the time.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Anyone want to share skill trees?

Here's the Siren spec I'm kind of aiming for at this point: http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/lilith/#21552130555013005005000. It's more focused on dealing elemental damage and dazing with bullets, but I tried not to totally neglect phasewalking and melee.

Do you guys think it's better to spread out the points, or to maximize a smaller number of skills?[/QUOTE]

lol well with my experience with Dungeon Siege and other RPGs, I'd say focus on a set few even though most of the time I don't do that.

Jack of all trades, master of none, right.

I'm going to play tonight around 7pm to do a mission with a boss and I want to do it co-op for 2 reasons:

#1 - It will be easier with more people
#2 - There's an achievement for doing the mission in co-op that I don't want to miss

I'm a Level 16 Soldier right now. I've got a Scorpio turret that hands out bullets, too. Although I'm not sure where I want to go from there, though.

Holy crap things are MUCH easier when you have a vehicle. All you have to do is run over a guy and he just dies as oppossed to spending 3 days pumping him full of bullets.

[quote name='Malik112099']Holy crap things are MUCH easier when you have a vehicle. All you have to do is run over a guy and he just dies as oppossed to spending 3 days pumping him full of bullets.[/QUOTE]

You get less exp when you kill stuff with the vehicles, but yeah, it is much easier :p

Does anyone feel like playing some co-op? I have a level 35 Assassin, or a few other low levels.

*edit* Also, has anyone found the claptrap in Earl's Scrapyard? I've been searching for this thing for like, an hour now. Ungh!

*edit 2* Nevermind, got it!

How does one increase the backpack slots from 12? I'm only on level 12 and having a really hard time deciding what weapons to keep what to sell. Could really use some extra room in my inventory.

Anyone around level 10-15 interested in co-op please send an invite. No one on my friends list is playing this.

[quote name='destinywaste']How does one increase the backpack slots from 12? I'm only on level 12 and having a really hard time deciding what weapons to keep what to sell. Could really use some extra room in my inventory.

Anyone around level 10-15 interested in co-op please send an invite. No one on my friends list is playing this.[/QUOTE]

there are broken claptrap robots in different areas, youll find them as you are completing missions. They give you a mission to find a neary repair kit, and when you return it you get a consumable item that gives you 3 more slots in your inventory.

Not sure how many slots you can get in all

[quote name='fizzywix']You get less exp when you kill stuff with the vehicles, but yeah, it is much easier :p[/QUOTE]

Yeah but in the car I'm killing 3 times as much shit as when i am just running around

42 is the max. In further playthroughs the claptraps just give grenade mods. I don't know if you can take backpack sdus and give them to other characters though.

[quote name='Trakan']I'm at 45 in my second playthrough.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I could have sworn that I read that the max was 42. I stand corrected, that's awesome though.

I just finished my first playthrough at level 36 siren. Without giving anything away, wtf at the ending. I'm so confused.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']Jesus friggin christ, the game came out two days ago and people are already beating it? What a let down.[/QUOTE]

People will beat any game within the first 2-3 days any game comes out. Because some people get it early and play a lot more then the average gamer. There are a people who beat most games they buy in 1 sitting.....

Level 19, woo!

What was the deal with match-making tonight? I couldn't seem to get a co-op game going, either by hosting or trying to join. There must be thousands of people playing the game right now, I don't see what the problem is.

eh i played online with friends np tonight. got to lvl 17 as a solider, just about 18. saw my first legendary drop. it was a artifact for siren phase walk which has something to do w/ fire/explosion. friend said it was different than the one he just got from a quest.

this game is definitely a blast to play. i find the mob difficulty to be quite weird...some quests guys are a joke while others are beast, normal mob pulls that bring 2+ badasses are way harder then most boss fights. feels a little imbalanced since u want to make the lvls progressively more difficult when some of the trash pulls are redonkulous. Besides that...this game is so awesome. a lot of fun playing with friends and collecting new gear.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']Jesus friggin christ, the game came out two days ago and people are already beating it? What a let down.[/QUOTE]

Took 23 hours in 3-player coop. There's still plenty to do. Get to level 50, etc.

I went to the midnight launch in Plano, TX and got to meet some of the devs. Just thought I'd share some pics:

Kale (artist) sketching Claptrap on my poster:
10522_194204481448_676146448_3708143_5473866_n.jpg
Me with Randy Pitchford and Kale:
10522_194191731448_676146448_3708013_707169_n.jpg
Final game cover w/ signatures
10522_194240621448_676146448_3708601_6661531_n.jpg

10522_194240781448_676146448_3708602_412237_n.jpg

10522_194240941448_676146448_3708603_196613_n.jpg
Final poster w/ Claptrap
10522_194240151448_676146448_3708599_6374925_n.jpg
Game guide
10522_194240366448_676146448_3708600_2005946_n.jpg
CJ the midget psycho
10522_194192426448_676146448_3708020_4209545_n.jpg

10522_194193706448_676146448_3708034_4159726_n.jpg
Free tshirt
10522_194241276448_676146448_3708604_6795385_n.jpg

So this guy walks in, and I'm pretty sure he's Randy Pitchford, so I walk up to him:
Me: Are you Randy Pitchford?
Guy: Yes.
Me: Hi. *smile and shake hand like an idiot*

Later on when he was signing my stuff I asked if the story about him winning the Gearbox name from Gabe Newell was a running inside joke that he shared or if he just free styled and made it up on the spot... totally free styled (as evidenced by his signature on the guide).

I'm really excited about this game and have just been reading up a lot on it since I'm studying abroad right now and won't get to play it until I get back home in mid-December. From what I've read on this thread and a few reviews, it seems like a great game. I don't think I've read one negative thing about this game aside from minor bugs. Because of this, I'm kind of confused as to how the average rating on this game is only an 84. I know that's a pretty good score, but based on what I've read about this game, I would have expected a lot higher of a score. If I'm unable to play the demo of a game before I buy it, I usually largely base my decision on the game's reviews and users' feedback. Brutal Legend also has an average rating of an 84 but I've read an overwhelming amount of negative feedback about that game that ultimately made me go against buying it. I'm almost definitely getting this game regardless, but I'm just curious, do you guys think an 84 is a fairly accurate rating for this game? I don't understand how some minor bugs and perhaps a lack of an engaging story can make several reviewers rate the game in the low 80's. Alright thanks for the input if you guys have any.

Several reviews have mentioned that there is a lot of repetition in the game. Both in the fact that there aren't a whole lot of distinct enemy types, and that many of the quests take the same basic 'kill X of this kind of enemy' or 'collect X of this item' kind of structure. You're also running back and forth a lot between the same few locations early on. I haven't unlocked fast-travel yet but it will be a real boon.

It's a valid charge, truthfully, although whether it hurts the game is up to each individual. Very similar to Left 4 Dead, how one person might do each campaign once and then feel like they have exhausted what the game has to offer, and another person can play them over and over again because the variation in enemy placement, item drops, and co-op partners makes it a different experience each time. (I fall into the second camp personally. :) )

Other negative points I've seen in reviews are some graphics problems like frame rate drops and v-sync issues. In my opinion these are barely perceptible and not even worth mentioning. In my roughly 8-9 hours of playing so far, I caught one instance of v-sync trouble, and I honestly have not encountered a single frame rate dip in any circumstance. It's a really beautiful and fluid-looking game.

There are some major and minor bugs, from Achievements not popping in co-op games to some of the Siren's class skills being broken. These are real problems but I am assuming they will be patched quickly, since they have been acknowledged by Gearbox, and the fix for the matchmaking on the PS3 version came on like the second day.

There could also be more enemy variety, more control options, a storage box to keep your stuff, a minimap, stuff like that... It's super fun but still has room for improvement.

You should pay way more attention to the content of reviews than their scores.

Put a good chunk of time in last night. My God this game is addicting, so far I'm loving everything about it, no complaints what so ever. I really dig the vending machines with the limited time sales, pretty creative.

bread's done
Back