Borderlands discussion - Is Moxxi hot or not?

[quote name='eastx']There could also be more enemy variety, more control options, a storage box to keep your stuff, a minimap, stuff like that... It's super fun but still has room for improvement.[/QUOTE]
The minimap is a great point, that would really cut down on pausing to check the map every couple of minutes. I think the lack of a storage bank was a conscious design choice, not an oversight-- the game wants you to think on your feet and make snap decisions about what loot to keep, not just hoover up everything and sort it out later.

I agree with you on the storage space. It adds to the gameplay, you need to make decisions on what to keep, what to get rid of, I have no complaints with that design choice.

And do you enjoy having to sign in with a second controller/account in order to pass items between your characters?

[quote name='eastx']And do you enjoy having to sign in with a second controller/account in order to pass items between your characters?[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't be able to pass items between your characters like you want. There's a reason why you can't go through the game and give all your high leveled guns to a new character. There's multiple ways around it anyway, so I don't see why you consider it a problem.

I've had multiple frame rate drops, particularly when zoomed in with the sniper. It's not a big deal, but has happened a few times.

I reallly don't think the inability to pass items between your characters is a deliberate design decision. It's an oversight. Recently Sacred 2 allowed the feature, though I know it's not something you find in every single RPG. With action RPGs in which you're encouraged to play as multiple characters (such as this one), it makes sense to facilitate things that players will want to do anyway.

I am having some of the best times I have had in a veideo game in awhile. Level 15 I am hoping the environment changes a little bit more but other then that I am LOVING IT.

Mini map would be lovely. I really like the challenges they have. A good way to earn extra experience. This game reminds me A LOT of Hellgate London. I am surprised that more people arent playing/posting. Seems like their should be more hype.

I am level 15 if anyone wants to play hit me up send me a Friend request.

The3amJunkie

Almost lvl 21, the soldier is a lot of fun. I probably rely too much on the sentry but, setting up choke points and crossfire against the baddies is too much fun. Can't to see rockets firing out of the turret.

The only thing I'm not crazy about aside from being sucked into a timewarp while playing, is you can't stay in zoomed in mode without letting going of the button. I guess I'm too used to Halo snipering.

Just found one of those alien weapons too, a lightning gun w/unlimited ammo, with a recharge timer and it's as nasty as it looks.

I've played Hellgate london, that was a lot of fun and really a grind fest for eq farming. It's certainly a different style and feel though to Borderlands, a bit smoother in ways and more customizable options however I'm enjoying Borderlands a lot more for it's grit. It's like what Fallout 3 would be on acid.

Im fine with the zoom..reminds me of COD...I also love that I dont have to keep the run button held to run....while i like that I can run forever it is also odd cause I cant remember a game that just let you do that without losing stamina

I second the issue with the unbalanced enemies. I remmeber specifically that at one point some level 15's i blew through but others required patience and strategy so I wouldnt die...was kinda odd

This game controls very well for a shooter/hybrid combo game. It does a good job also of tapping into the loot mentality that keeps people moving forward.

I can see myself playing this for a long time with friends.

Almost 21, just got to the second zone. Minor issues and gripes here and there, yeah, what game doesn't, but it's a solid 9.5/10 in my book. The most fun I've had out of a game in awhile. If there wasn't MWF2, L4D2, and a few others, which may or may not be better than BL in my book, I'd name this my GOTY.

[quote name='Trakan']I'm at 45 in my second playthrough.[/QUOTE]

Trakan, I hate to single you out like this, but can you tell me what quest you did to raise your inventory slots past 42? I just did the Lost Caves Claptrap repair and I didn't get an inventory upgrade.

Just got this game and its better than I ever would have expected. It's extremely fun and the visuals are amazing. The loot system is really addicting, its nice to see someone other than Blizzard getting loot right.

Beat the game at level 36 and on second playthrough now. Holy shit, the game is not fucking around with the second playthrough.

[quote name='tokitoki50']Trakan, I hate to single you out like this, but can you tell me what quest you did to raise your inventory slots past 42? I just did the Lost Caves Claptrap repair and I didn't get an inventory upgrade.[/QUOTE]

It was the first claptrap, I think it was the Lost Caves actually where you get the shock crystals. Since then the guys I play with have just gotten grenade mods.

I can take a picture if you don't believe me. :lol:

Haha, it's not that I don't believe you, I'm just confused how you got it, maybe it's just a random luck % or someone in your party missed it the first runthrough and everybody got it?

I really just want it. Half my inventory space is taken up by all the legendary weapons I've found in my first playthrough, they're not really useful but I don't want to let them go at the same time =)

Will there be a lot of DLC? Should I wait till they release a GOTY editon or something like fallout and oblivion did? Although I know its a differnet company, is that a safe assumption?

ugh ran into the ineligible quest with a friend today. been grouping with him from 1-23 now. right before entering new haven he was unable the story. seems like it was fixed by him playing single player and completeing the road warrior chain.

I remember him dying a few times but nothing out of the ordinary to cause this problem.

Anyone know of a list of class mods? I wanna find a good one for my solider. all the ones i seen so far are pretty weak.

My roommate hates RPGs. HATES RPGs. If I tell him a game is an RPG, he immediately becomes disinterested. I told him this was an FPS.. he now realizes that I lied, but he loves this game. It's quite addictive.

[quote name='naiku']Anyone know of a list of class mods?[/QUOTE]
I've been looking for this too. I don't think anyone has put a list together yet though I'm sure it'll pop up on GameFAQs before too long.

[quote name='Scorch']My roommate hates RPGs. HATES RPGs. If I tell him a game is an RPG, he immediately becomes disinterested. I told him this was an FPS.. he now realizes that I lied, but he loves this game. It's quite addictive.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty much the same way, usually I don't even think about RPGs, but I started playing this game and the time flies.

When I first started playin the game, my initial opinion was: this is fucking awesome!. After a little bit, I started to get bored - my sniper rifle sucked, and I wasn't finding much use of the hunter skills, other than the bloodwing.

After playing it a bit longer, my opinion once again returned to - this is fucking awesome! I really love this game, it is so much fun and addicting. Really does bring me back to my good ol' Diablo 2 days.

So far I've only played solo, since my friends are too cheap / poor to buy the game now :bomb:. I'm sure the game is even better co-op, but solo is just fine for me too :lol:. I'm really enjoying Mordecai, even though I suck at sniping most of the time. The bloodwing is suprisingly cool, and has some pretty mean damage; however, at times the bloodwing can be a 'tard, and just fly around aimlessly, or get stuck on the ceiling.

My only qualms thus far, is that the enemy AI seems pretty crappy at times. At certain places in the game, when I am sniping, the monsters simply won't go after me. I'm not sure if its due to pathing, or them simply not having a way to reach me, but it is a little lame to be able to sit there and plink at them without them seeming to notice - granted the majority of the time I run in anyways, since free kills aren't very exciting. Also, I'm not too crazy about how the vehicle controls are. At first I couldn't drive them at all, and would always get stuck on the terrain (sometimes when I wasn't even really close to whatever object). But, thankfully after a bit more driving, I can control Runner fairly well.

Anyways, to wrap this long-ish post up, the game is great! I've already put 6 and a half hours into the game, and have only had it for about 8 hours :booty:, and I'm going to go play it some more :hot:.

I am digging the Hunter class. i love sniping and watching heads blow off or bodies get ripped apart. I tried to stick with the sniper/pistol combo at first but then realized i needed a decent SMG to really throw bullets into some of these assholes

Can skills be raised past 5/5 with class mods?

Ex. If I have 5/5 in a skill, plus an equipped class mod that has +2 to the same skill, does that stack or is it pointless to have more than 3/5 spent on it?

p.s. I cannot stop playing this game.

[quote name='Malik112099']I am digging the Hunter class. i love sniping and watching heads blow off or bodies get ripped apart. I tried to stick with the sniper/pistol combo at first but then realized i needed a decent SMG to really throw bullets into some of these assholes[/QUOTE]

Gotta try that. I love the class but cant get past the lvl 7 bounty job.

[quote name='fizzywix']Can skills be raised past 5/5 with class mods?

Ex. If I have 5/5 in a skill, plus an equipped class mod that has +2 to the same skill, does that stack or is it pointless to have more than 3/5 spent on it?

p.s. I cannot stop playing this game.[/QUOTE]

I was curious about this also, the folks on Gamefaqs did indeed test it and YES you can go over your max out skill, all the way up to Skill 9/5 via class mod, good to know.

So this might be a stupid question, but I'm currently like 8 (I think) and the only 2 available quests I have are pretty difficult with like level 11 "mini-bosses". Is there any way for me to raise my XP a bit to be better equipped to do these quests other than searching for enemies to kill?

Only just started borderlands two nights ago.

I'm taking the siren, and my brother is the soldier. Any recommendations on where to put points on leveling Lilith up? I thought I'd like phasewalk, but as soon as I do a melee, the phasewalk ends. So now I don't think I want to put much into this, as I'm not wanting to sneak past enemies. I want to kill them.

[quote name='Rocko']So this might be a stupid question, but I'm currently like 8 (I think) and the only 2 available quests I have are pretty difficult with like level 11 "mini-bosses". Is there any way for me to raise my XP a bit to be better equipped to do these quests other than searching for enemies to kill?[/QUOTE]We had that last night, when we went up against Bone Head. We were level six and seven (I was six, he was seven) and it took us a few lives to kill him. Mostly because we kept running out of ammo. So tonight I think we're just going to have to do the old fashioned RPG grind to get our levels up.

If you've got someone you're playing with, the best strategy was for one to knock his armor down, then you sort of alternate who attacks. If you all die at once, by the time you get back to him his armor is back up and you just waste time and ammo.

So for us, it was knock the armor down. One blasts away, then dies. Then I would fire at him until Jaeli got back... this way, you aren't wasting ammo on his armor, but actually chipping away at his health.

[quote name='Rocko']That's a good strategy, but I'm playing solo. Maybe I'll find someone to co-op with if I can't do it myself.[/QUOTE]

I beat him solo using both a hunter and a solider. My strategy was to kill everyone else but him and then equip the sniper. He RARELY moves so if you just head shot him you can quickly crouch and pop back up and head shot him again. When he moves just line his head up again and rinse and repeat.

[quote name='Rocko']That's a good strategy, but I'm playing solo. Maybe I'll find someone to co-op with if I can't do it myself.[/QUOTE]
Same advice as DV8.

I beat him solo as a soldier. I used a sniper rifle I got outside of Nine-Toes' place. There is a narrow path that leads to him, but that it a bit of a trap. I went past that and turned right. There is a Skag spawn that spawns spitters that are good for XP. I setup just beside the Skag area (you can see into Bone Head's camp) and took him down from there. He never left the camp, shot at me, or sent reinforcements. Took a good amount of body and a couple head shots to take him down.

To grind a bit run down the narrow path half way and lure out some lower level guys to kill.

Last edited by a moderator:
so not sure if anyone mentioned this but google led me to a very uncertain ign forum post about class mods and skill points.

Deploy 5/5 - reduce cooldown of turret by 100%
class mod +2 deploy

time it takes from turret drop to refresh:

without class mod -60.2seconds
with class mod equipped - 46.8seconds

so the class mod does increase deploy to 7/5 but it doesn't show it in the skill points. which i think they should patch make it a bit more obvious.

Anyone know if you need to have a point in the skill for the class mod to work? Something that was mentioned on ign and I am not able to test atm.

For anyone that's beaten the game, does the scenery change at all? Super fun game, but the levels are kinda bland and small.

You guys know all of the quests specify difficulty based on level, right? It's probably the reason why you're having trouble with Bonehead. Level up until the difficulty changes to either normal or trivial then you can return and smash his face in with ease.

[quote name='guinaevere']Only just started borderlands two nights ago.

I'm taking the siren, and my brother is the soldier. Any recommendations on where to put points on leveling Lilith up? I thought I'd like phasewalk, but as soon as I do a melee, the phasewalk ends. So now I don't think I want to put much into this, as I'm not wanting to sneak past enemies. I want to kill them.

We had that last night, when we went up against Bone Head. We were level six and seven (I was six, he was seven) and it took us a few lives to kill him. Mostly because we kept running out of ammo. So tonight I think we're just going to have to do the old fashioned RPG grind to get our levels up.[/QUOTE]

http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/lilith/#21501000050140305050530

That's my Siren build right now at Level 42, although I've respeced a few times. My philosophy for her has been use phasewalk to get in close with an smg, aim straight at the weak spot and SMG the fuck out of them.

I use a class mod to Bump my shield up 40% and +3 to my Diva so my shield stays boosted by a huge 75%.

I almost exclusively use SMGs though I have found a few sick repeater pistols, and Combat Rifles that I have too.

But high fire rates + elemental damage are definitely your friend. The Siren is a DPS machine.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']You guys know all of the quests specify difficulty based on level, right? It's probably the reason why you're having trouble with Bonehead. Level up until the difficulty changes to either normal or trivial then you can return and smash his face in with ease.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but when a you end up with a mission that is above you as your only option you have to do it or go and grind around the map. Most people would probably do the mission

Also, Check out other missions as well. Sometimes the closest one isn't the easiest. I have chosen a mission to that is hard only to find the easier one later somewhere else

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Rocko']So this might be a stupid question, but I'm currently like 8 (I think) and the only 2 available quests I have are pretty difficult with like level 11 "mini-bosses". Is there any way for me to raise my XP a bit to be better equipped to do these quests other than searching for enemies to kill?[/QUOTE]

Sure. Get in a vehicle as the driver and tape down the R button so that you're constantly firing. Come back in 3 hours or so, after you've fired 100,000 shots. You'll have gained 20,000 EXP for that Challenge, plus some smaller EXP bonuses for firing 25,000 times, etc..

It's a good way to get a quick EXP boost when you have something else to do.

You can check your progress in the challenge by pressing Back and going to the screen that lists your quests. Press Y to switch to the challenge list. It'll state how many shots you've fired under the challenge's description.

I just reached Level 25 with my Soldier and I'm only at
Rust Commons
. I don't know how far into the game that is, but apparently I've played for nearly 17 hours.

How does the elemental modifiers work on weapons? the x1/x2/x3/x4 ones are the ones I'm wondering about. Also, is x4 the highest?

Does it just stand for an increased CHANCE of causing the elemental effect, or does it play into the damage calculation?

loving this game! I'm a lvl 21 soldier. Stayed up until 5 am last night after picking it up yesterday afternoon. I haven't done that in ages. My wife doesn't know what's gotten into me!

Found my first
alien weapon
green level 28 sniper rifle with infinite clip size, 889 damage, 90% ish accuracy and .4 fire rate.

Thanks tokito. We had fun doing random quests which helped grind a bit this evening. I'm getting a feel for how I want her to level.

No idea what a class mod is, haven't come across that yet to my knowledge. But I'll keep an eye out.

[quote name='bordjon']loving this game! I'm a lvl 21 soldier. Stayed up until 5 am last night after picking it up yesterday afternoon. I haven't done that in ages. My wife doesn't know what's gotten into me![/QUOTE]

Haha, I did the same.. Although I do pull all-nighters a bit. Haven't played a game this long in a row in quite a while though. I finally found my first Legendary non-artifact drop, assault rifle, and an epic SMG in the same chest :applause:. Haven't found any alien drops so far though :(.

[quote name='guinaevere']
[/QUOTE]
I'm using Siren and it's fun as hell once you get to the level to make her awesome. Basically I've just focused on extending her phasewalk and making her heal while doing so and giving her electrical abilitieso. Combine that with elemental weapons (like say, a fire revolver) and you do double elemental damage that wears enemies out quick. Also you'll eventually find artifacts for her that when she phasewalks in and out she'll leave a corrosive shockwave or a fireball and that helps as well.

bread's done
Back