Borders (and sometimes Barnes and Noble) Coupons

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']It's hard to excited by border's coupons since the 80%-off debacle (which I missed) this past weekend.[/quote]True...I missed it as well. I'm still following the SD thread to see how it plays out. According to one SD'er, Borders is going to try to charge the full amount to those who got their orders shipped. Should be interesting to see them try to pull that off.

[quote name='eugaet']True...I missed it as well. I'm still following the SD thread to see how it plays out. According to one SD'er, Borders is going to try to charge the full amount to those who got their orders shipped. Should be interesting to see them try to pull that off.[/quote]

We never agreed to get charged the full amount, and changing things on people *is* against the law. This is one time I could say they *are* legally at fault. You can't charge $5 for something, then a week later go "LULZ NO ITS 50!" Coupon problem or not. It was in the system, it got released publicly. Their fault for *having* it in the system even. Poor site management imo.

[quote name='georox']We never agreed...[/quote]Yeah, I know, that's why I said it be interesting to watch them try to pull it off. I look forward to much arm-flailing on Borders' part.

all orders got canceled. I just return around 200 bucks in books and dvds i got off them around a month ago

borders will never see another penny out of me.

the 30% off coupon is a joke. its 30% off list price what is more then what any other place charges.

Yea, mine got canceled too. I don't buy from em anyways, so there is no reason for me to go "ZOMG IM NEVAR BUYING AGAIN!" as I find most of their stuff is above retail price, so meh. No loss for me, woulda liked stuff at 80% off, buy they fail as a company before the coupon, and they still fail just as much since we all knew this would happen.

I manage to get in on the borders 80% off deal, My item shipped, recieved all my items today, I got a Email tonight saying my orders from borders have been canceled.....But I already got my items today.....

The only things I order from Borders are things I really want and can get at the same price as Amazon after coupons (usually only the rare 40% off coupons'll do this for me).

It helps that I can get $25 Borders GCs from Sony Storage Rewards. I've collected $250 worth over the last year. Last thing I ordered was the D&D 4th edition gift set...used a 40% off code and then GCs for the remainder.

[quote name='Poor2More']I manage to get in on the borders 80% off deal, My item shipped, recieved all my items today, I got a Email tonight saying my orders from borders have been canceled.....But I already got my items today.....[/quote]So if your order was 'canceled'...did you have to pay? I'm thinking it may have been a blanket email sent out to all who used the code, whether it shipped or not.

Fat Wallet had a boatload of cancellations as well. Not that anyone is terribly surprised, of course. They would have lost millions if they fulfilled every order.

[quote name='Chase']Borders/Waldenbooks: 25-percent off one item (expires September 21, 2008)[/quote]Might want to mention that this link has two 25% off coupons...one for 'you' (Border's Reward member) and one for your 'friend' (no Border's Reward membership required). Online codes are as follows:

Member code: SLD5188A
Friend code: BFF5210K

The 'friend' code starts w/ BFF? Heh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, thanks for this thread. I could spend hours in one of these stores just browsing through stuff. Now I could actually buy something though lol

Do these coupons work on sale priced items usually (it says that it's off list price, just wondering if anyone has any personal experience w/ it working or not)? I wanted to pick up Brisingr and figure I'd give the coupon a shot.

just tried the 25% and 30% coupon codes and it is saying:

Oops! You entered an invalid promotion code. Please try again.

[quote name='crazylikeafox11']Do these coupons work on sale priced items usually (it says that it's off list price, just wondering if anyone has any personal experience w/ it working or not)? I wanted to pick up Brisingr and figure I'd give the coupon a shot.[/quote]The coupons are XX% of the list price...so if something is listed on sale for 20% and you use a 30% off coupon, you only get an extra 10% off. Doesn't stop me from hoping they'll stack every time I apply a code, though. I'm always disappointed.

[quote name='careful']just tried the 25% and 30% coupon codes and it is saying:

Oops! You entered an invalid promotion code. Please try again.[/quote]The 30% coupon expired two days ago. To use the first 25% off coupon, you have to be a Border's Reward member and have your online account tied to your Rewards account. You should have been able to use the second code, the 'friends' one, w/o any problems.

I'm trying to buy the Watchmen book, and I have some questions

I think someone mentioned that the coupons only take off the list price correct? So if I try and use the 30% coupon it won't work since it is already 30% off right?

Also, can I use the discount since it's technicly a comic? I saw some restrictions on some of the coupons?

[quote name='DaftPunkFan37']I think someone mentioned that the coupons only take off the list price correct? So if I try and use the 30% coupon it won't work since it is already 30% off right?[/quote]Correct.

[quote name='DaftPunkFan37'] Also, can I use the discount since it's technicly a comic? I saw some restrictions on some of the coupons?[/quote]Should be able to use it on that since it's technically a book. I haven't read the restrictions, though. Can't hurt to try. But it won't matter since it's already on sale for 30% off.

You might look at ordering the Watchmen TPB here: LINK

It's currently on sale for 50% off ($9.99) and you get free shipping if your total order of in-stock items, including the Watchmen TPB, is $19.99 or higher. I guarantee you won't get it for that good a price at Borders...unless you're sitting on some gift cards or something. Sale ends on Sept. 30th. I bought my copy of Watchmen from them as well as some other books and can vouch for the company. Very happy w/ my order. Plenty of other CAGs have ordered from them as well, there should be a couple threads floating around about them in the Other Deals and Requests forum.

Anyone else holding out in hopes of a Borders 40% off coupon showing up this month? It seems that they have already doled out two 30% off coupons this month, so I am guessing no. Although, it seems that every 2 to 3 months they distribute one. The last one was in August, I believe.

/crosses fingers

[quote name='neschamp']Anyone else holding out in hopes of a Borders 40% off coupon showing up this month? It seems that they have already doled out two 30% off coupons this month, so I am guessing no. Although, it seems that every 2 to 3 months they distribute one. The last one was in August, I believe.

/crosses fingers[/quote]

Hopefully. It sure has been a while.

Sorry if this has been mentioned (I get the e-mails so I never check this thread) BUT; (this worked for me) If you put an item in your cart with a promational coupon, mine was 30% off, then just leave it there, you can come back later, it was a good month for me, and the promotion will still be applied.

Could be a fluke/glitch and I got lucky???? I was waiting for my borders bucks to start and when I went to check out I still had a book from a month ago that I never purchased. switched items and was still given the 30%. thought I'd share.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shadowkast']Could be a fluke/glitch and I got lucky????[/quote]Might've gotten lucky. Every time I've done that, I get to the end of the order and it tells me the promo code is invalid. The last 40% off code was still active for nearly a week after the expiration date, though, so maybe you had one that wasn't in their system correctly.

Congratz, though. :)

I just got an e-mail saying Borders is having a buy 2 get 1 free event from Thursday to Saturday. It might be a better deal than the 25% coupon if you plan on buying several books.

Just FYI, I received a postcard coupon from Borders yesterday, 40% off w/ $10 purchase I believe. Single-use code, it claims. Any Borders Reward members should keep a watch on their mailbox.

bread's done
Back