Bound by Flame PS4 $30 BB maybe?

nabuch

CAGiversary!
The game is out early and I went to BB today to pick it up.  With @gamers unlocked it is $40.  The clerk said, oh this comes with a $10 gift card.  I don't know how, I did not see it anywhere, but I did get a $10 gift card for buying it. 

I don't know if this gift card is specific to this game, but it seems like it is, so if you want the game, now is the time.

Got a PS4 copy (yesterday) with the $10 gift card. They had to find a copy in the backroom and they really went above and beyond what most retail stores employees would do just to find a game, so I really appreciated their effort. I don't know if anyone else has been playing the game because I know we (CAGs) usually buy games and then sit on them until price drops and then talk about them being sealed still, but I am actually enjoying Bound by Flame. It is very difficult ( I am playing on the hardest setting) and every fight you really have to plan it out and they more often than not they will probably take you a few times to get through. It is by no means perfect, but if you like action RPGs you should be able to find some redeeming qualities. I feel like this game is just like a Venetica / Risen 2 kind of game. All of them are not really great, but there is fun to be had.

You can add the $10 Gift Card manually if it doesn't drop into your cart automatically.

I just ordered the PS4 version of the game with the $10 GC online (saves me a trip back to my local store that lost their shipment).

If this were labeled an indie game, people would be falling over themselves gushing about it and heaping praise on it.  But because the studio is SLIGHTLY bigger than an indie shop and uses a very small actual publisher, it gets compared to AAA games with 50 times its budget instead.

Not fucking fair.

If this were labeled an indie game, people would be falling over themselves gushing about it and heaping praise on it. But because the studio is SLIGHTLY bigger than an indie shop and uses a very small actual publisher, it gets compared to AAA games with 50 times its budget instead.

Not fucking fair.
You do have a point, but the game isn't necessarily priced like an Indie game but more like a major release (really somewhere in between). That tends to raise peoples' expectations a little.

You do have a point, but the game isn't necessarily priced like an Indie game but more like a major release (really somewhere in between). That tends to raise peoples' expectations a little.
a indie game to me is values at $20 maybe $30 but $30 and up is a major release. They decide to price it like the big boys then they should expect to be perceive competing against the big boys

a indie game to me is values at $20 maybe $30 but $30 and up is a major release. They decide to price it like the big boys then they should expect to be perceive competing against the big boys
Agreed. If it were 20 or 30$ I'd be a lot more lenient. But I have passed on much better looking games at the same price range.

Seems like the only reason its getting so much attention is the lack of PS4 titles of the genre.

Agreed. If it were 20 or 30$ I'd be a lot more lenient. But I have passed on much better looking games at the same price range.

Seems like the only reason its getting so much attention is the lack of PS4 titles of the genre.
same reason metal gear solid ground zeroes getting attention to lol lack of games lead to desperation lol

Didn't buy this at BB, didn't get a $10 GC, pre-ordered it on Amazon. This game is pretty cool once you get past the fact that combat isn't like Dark Souls at all. :p I'm really enjoying it so far on the PS4. The crafting is pretty cool. The production values are pretty good considering this isn't a big budget title. I'm impressed. Don't listen to the reviews... if you did that you'd miss out on most of the best games ever made... like God Hand. :)

If this were labeled an indie game, people would be falling over themselves gushing about it and heaping praise on it. But because the studio is SLIGHTLY bigger than an indie shop and uses a very small actual publisher, it gets compared to AAA games with 50 times its budget instead.

Not fuck ing fair.
If they price it like a AA, it's fair to expect AA quality. :-({|=

Yeah ... not the next Dragon Age by any means ...
Maybe it's the next Dragon Age 2. ;)

(I kid, I kid. I actually liked DA2, but its a shame they released an unfinished game)

Unfortunately we didn’t manage to get the development kits on time, and we didn’t want our schedule to slip, so. No plans right now for Xbox One.
Wait a second. So over that quote, people are flipping their shit and extrapolating whose fault it is? It doesn't say anything. It could have been a late request on the dev's part or it could have been late fulfillment by MS. There's no way to know from that statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally buckled and bought one online with the $10GC. Even if it does turn out absolutely terrible, I should still have a few weeks to trade it back in for nearly the same credit as I spent.

Thanks guys.

Here's my review:

http://www.tech-gaming.com/bound-flame-review/

In short, companions are inept, the game is linear, and you'll probably have to adopt the Ranger stance, unless you like being kicked and beaten to death before you can recover.

That said, the demon inside says some funny things.
Are you sure you've played Bioware or Bethesda games as you compare it to in your review? Your review is the second one to mention this:

Inexplicably, the desired moniker is never used in either text or spoken dialog, with every NPC referring to the player as the default “Vulcan”.
I don't have this game yet, but I'm not seeing how this is any kind of criticism or even inexplicable. What do you expect? Do you expect the NPC's to be able to pronounce your custom name of Zkyr'ak'rghar?

Are you sure you've played Bioware or Bethesda games as you compare it to in your review? Your review is the second one to mention this:

I don't have this game yet, but I'm not seeing how this is any kind of criticism or even inexplicable. What do you expect? Do you expect the NPC's to be able to pronounce your custom name of Zkyr'ak'rghar?
Why have players input a name if it's never used? It's a small quirk, but one that speaks about how some parts of the game don't quite fit together.

Why have players input a name if it's never used? It's a small quirk, but one that speaks about how some parts of the game don't quite fit together.
Two words: Mass Effect. No one ever says the first name you enter, only your last--Shepard--and those games are stellar; in no way does the first name not being said make parts of the game not "quite fit together".

I just send best buy and email to see if I can get the $10 gift card since I pre-ordered the game. We shall see what happens.
Well I just got an email from Best Buy customer service and they are sending me a $10 gift card for the game. All I did was send them my game shipment confirmation, a screen capture of the $10 gift card screen and said I ordered the game but did not receive a gift card.

The video game section of my BestBuy has been redesigned into such a craphole that this game was not on display. In fact, over half of all PS4 games were missing in action.  And they shoved the whole section into the back of the store.  Ugh.

Game's pretty good. Though the writing's definitely has the quality of Mass Effect 3's ending.

Definitely worth $40 and a free gift card.

Totalbiscuit's WTF is of this was plenty to scare me off from it. Plus, it seems like a game like this should tank in price.

i was watching a lets play of this that went on for about 3 or 4 hours and it crashed like 5 times durring that o_O wtf? This was on the PS4. I didn't mind its cheezyness, it was kinda amusing, but a game that bugged is a no go

i was watching a lets play of this that went on for about 3 or 4 hours and it crashed like 5 times durring that o_O wtf? This was on the PS4. I didn't mind its cheezyness, it was kinda amusing, but a game that bugged is a no go
I've played it for like 6 hours so far on PS4 and it has never crashed on me. The game is actually pretty fun.

I've really enjoyed it, until about 8 hours in my character walked into and got stuck in a wall, immediately followed by the game auto saving.

bread's done
Back