Breaking Bad Appreciation Thread

[quote name='eliter1']The way he had been treating Jesse cam back to bite him in the ass. How the fuck are they going to get out of this shit![/QUOTE]

It can go in so many directions. I intentionally avoided the preview just because I don't want to know anything.

At this point, Walt might view Jesse the same way he did Gale: Jesse is now Gus's "other" cook. Add in that Gus directly threatened Walt's family, and it's possible that Walt could rationalize killing Jesse by thinking "it's either Jesse or it's Sky/Jr/Baby." The only problem I have with that is that it's clear Gus doesn't want to work with Walt at all, to the extent that he'd even revert back to an inferior meth formula just to avoid dealing with Walt's bullshit. So I don't see that one working out.

OTOH, there's still the possibility that Walt and Jesse team up on Gus. It's hard to imagine that coming together, but who knows. I guess this is how it goes? I can't come up with any other scenarios this late in the season. Hank is clearly a threat to Gus, now, he's really close, so it seems like the DEA is going to be a factor in the end of the season. Maybe then the DEA will be a silent partner of Walt/Jesse in that way. But how it plays out is tough to call.

One loose end is how quickly Mike and Mike's recovery was dismissed. It was implied that he was on the mend in Gus's personal triage, but it was let go fairly quickly. Maybe I'm just being unreasonable in expecting more -- they do have a lot of story to get through, and as entertaining as Mike is, he's not a major player the way that Walt, Jesse, and Gus are. Still, it's sad to see that Mike probably won't be involved in the last episodes of this season.

The cool thing about Mike being out of action, however, is that if something with the DEA goes down, Mike will be hidden in Mexico throughout. Provided Gus's organization survives this season, Mike's security could give Gus a tactical advantage later on. Or maybe it gives the advantage to Jesse if Mike's allegiances change, beats the hell out of me.

The possibilities are fun to consider.

[quote name='joe2187']Besides the ending, This was easily the greatest redemption they could have given this worthless sack of crap of a character.

6SlaD.gif

"Hey Hule, are you happy?"
"....Reasonably"[/QUOTE]

No matter how many times it's done in movies and TV shows; I always get a kick out of the situations where the kidnapped person panics and tries to run while the kidnapper keeps the calm-got this shit under control attitude. This, on the other hand, was an excellent twist on that familiar theme.

I'm wondering when the drug that Walt formulated to kill Gus will finally come into play. Jesse must still have it, so he'll either rat Walt out or opt to use it eventually.

Will Mike hold any ill will towards Gus for how he has been treated? That would be an interesting situation if Mike comes back from Mexico and decides he has had enough.

Gus = bad fuckin ass!

Walt & family = fucking screwed!

LOL is that what it sounds like when your whole world is hurdling towards fuckING SCREWED!?!

Loved the Ted bit.

I think the themes of the show are consistent with Walt continuing to lose control and lose things that are important to him until he admits his wrongs and stops trying to weasel out of the consequences. It'll just keep getting worse until he goes to the DEA or gets killed.

There's just so many variables in these last two episodes that it's impossible to guess.

You have Gus wanting to kill Hank. Gus wanting to kill Walt/Family because he warned Hank. Hank's investigation. Ted's death(?). Saul's "reset" plan. Skylar giving the last of their money to Ted. The IRS investigation. The poison in Jesse's cigarettes. Jesse's loyalty to Walt/Gus/Mike. Mike recovering in Mexico. Gus's connections to this german company and columbia.

It's obviously been designed to make it near impossible to logically guess where things will go. It will probably get narrowed down next week, but not by much.

Last edited:
[quote name='jer7583']I think the themes of the show are consistent with Walt continuing to lose control and lose things that are important to him until he admits his wrongs and stops trying to weasel out of the consequences. It'll just keep getting worse until he goes to the DEA or gets killed.

There's just so many variables in these last two episodes that it's impossible to guess.

It's obviously been designed to make it near impossible to logically guess where things will go. It will probably get narrowed down next week, but not by much.[/QUOTE]

I agree that Walt will continue to unravel, but I don't think he'll ever go to the DEA. To do so is an admission of guilt -- he would "admit his wrongs" as you put it -- and he can't do that. As he said to Hank this past episode, he's done explaining himself.

I think while the whole is definitely hard to guess at, there are slices of it that are not wide open. If Walt survives this, that means either Gus's opinion of Walt has changed or Gus has been neutralized. Given Gus's last words to Walt, I think we can agree that it is the latter.

However Gus is neutralized, my only concern is in how the DEA suddenly figures into this and inadvertently assists Walt in taking down Gus. The DEA having an extremely large role in Gus's downturn/death/whatever would be unsatisfying.

On the one hand, I can see that Hank's been pursuing Gus for some time, and he's close to a breakthrough. OTOH, Gus isn't just the guy behind the shadow Pollos organization, he's now the guy behind the cartel formerly headed by Eladio. That's not going to make him untouchable to the DEA, but it's going to make it a hell of a lot harder to get to him and take him down. The comment between Gus and his Doc was an allusion to that: the doc asked him if he needed "protection" in jest after seeing Eladio's pendant, the implication being that the only man who could touch Gus was dead.

I guess what I'm saying is that if the DEA raids the chicken farm, laundry mat, and a bunch of trucks, that had better not be the end of Gus Fring. He's now in a position where he can exist above the law -- maybe not forever, but at least long enough to keep his threat against Walt's family in play.

[quote name='dothog']It can go in so many directions. I intentionally avoided the preview just because I don't want to know anything.

At this point, Walt might view Jesse the same way he did Gale: Jesse is now Gus's "other" cook. Add in that Gus directly threatened Walt's family, and it's possible that Walt could rationalize killing Jesse by thinking "it's either Jesse or it's Sky/Jr/Baby." The only problem I have with that is that it's clear Gus doesn't want to work with Walt at all, to the extent that he'd even revert back to an inferior meth formula just to avoid dealing with Walt's bullshit. So I don't see that one working out.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think Walt would think about killing Jesse. I think in this episode he realized that Jesse had been somewhat in the same position that he is in right now and how much of a douche he had been to Jesse. I don't know how this season or next will wrap up the series but I can easily see it ending with Walt either dead or in a terrible situation. At the end of this episode Walt feared for his life but how many times how we seen him go from scared to thinking he can take on the world. I think it's pretty likely that after he stops laughing and gets out of that hole he goes into bad ass Walt mode again and try to do something to resolve his situation, which will probably make everything worse and then the season will end.

[quote name='eliter1']I think it's pretty likely that after he stops laughing and gets out of that hole he goes into bad ass Walt mode again and try to do something to resolve his situation, which will probably make everything worse and then the season will end.[/QUOTE]

Another thing I realized is that Walt's tip to the DEA -- relayed by Saul -- was that the Cartel was after Hank. Well, we know that's BS, not just because we saw Walt order Saul to do it, but because we know that the Cartel is finished. There's only a handful of people in the show who know that as conclusively as the viewer, and one of them's Gus.

If Gus finds out that Walt is shielding Hank from Gus, Walt will have forced Gus's hand on the baby killing. So it's possible -- and this is a big IF -- that Walt may be forced to kill Hank to protect his family.

I don't know why I keep coming down to Walt killing someone, that creepy last shot just gives me the willies. He's dead now, we're going to dark, dark places with what's left of Walt. At least I hope so.

I still can't believe there's two full episodes left this season.

[quote name='dothog']
I don't know why I keep coming down to Walt killing someone, that creepy last shot just gives me the willies. He's dead now, we're going to dark, dark places with what's left of Walt. At least I hope so.

I still can't believe there's two full episodes left this season.[/QUOTE]

Unless the writers of the show can pull off something spectacular it has to end bad for Walt. He is the one that has caused pretty much everyone one in the show some type of problem weather it was done purposely or not. If Walt has to kill someone it has to be done in one of the most memorable shots of the show. If am not mistaken he's killed 3 people, the guy in Jesse's basement and the 2 guys that Jesse was after. Both of those scenes were some of the best in the show so I can only imagine that if he has to do it again it will be just as good.

There's supposedly a single image file making the rounds that spoils the entire finale. In one image. Rumor is that it is a stunner.

You been warned.

I'm going in to internet shutdown mode on BB. See you guys after the finale!

Badum Badum Badum! Man was that final scene one of the most intense scenes in television history! The music for that scene was perfect. Man is shit going to be hitting the fan next episode! My only complaint is that most of the other actors in the show seem to fall short when they are next to Aaron Paul and Brian Cranston. The scene in the hospital with Jesse was so good but that chick really pales in comparison to Aaron Paul. I am sure she is a fine average actress but Aaron Paul is so good that it makes her look somewhat underwhelming. I had the same complaint last week in the last scene with Walt and Skylar. Can't wait for next week!!!!!

I'm pretty sure that walt is done making meth and done working for gustavo.. they're setting up for season 5 being huge amounts of tension between gus and jesse with walt pulling the strings on their plans to eliminate gus.

Gus needs Jesse to cook, Jesse does not trust Gus and wants him dead. Gus does not know for sure that Jesse wants him dead, and Walt just wants to eliminate Gus and get out of this whole mess. Walt's only saving graces with gus are Jesse's insistence that he is "not okay" with killing walt and his connections to the DEA. I think these are the core themes behind whatever season 5 becomes, one or two parts.

I don't really understand how they could pull it off but i could see them getting into Gus's german conglomerate connections, but that's a big element to add with only one season to go that could really ruin the series.

Someone important to Walt has to die in the finale, that's my opinion. This would create a strong revenge story-line for season 5, supposedly the last season. The DEA would want to catch Gus, while Walt would want to kill Gus. Who will get him first?

They can't kill off Walt obviously and I think Jesse is too important of a character to kill off.

So that leaves:

Skylar (Wife)
Son
Brother-in-Law
Brother-in-Law's wife

My guess is they kill off Skylar (she is standing in plain sight outside of the house -> foreshadowing her demise?).

Hmm... Interesting Final episode it will be. Still floored last weeks episode wasn't the finale.

[quote name='antlp89'] I think Jesse is too important of a character to kill off.[/QUOTE]

It'd funny that way considering how much of an idiot he is.

just started watching on netflix and think this show is amazing!!! I'm about half way through season 1. absolutely floored how awesome this show is ^^

YEAH SCIENCE!

Hank is eventually going to find something
in the photos that the other agent was taking in the laundromat.

So crazy that Gus sensed that something was not quite right in the parking garage.

The simplest explanation for the ricin cigarette's
disappearance is that "the kid" snuck a loosie from the pack and smoked it when nobody was around. And then Jesse jumped to conclusions about Walt intentionally poisoning him.

It might not have been Gus' "spidey sense", but more him thinking about why Jesse didn't mention Walt as a potential poisoner.

It might not have been Gus' "spidey sense", but more him thinking about why Jesse didn't mention Walt as a potential poisoner.

[quote name='shieryda']Hank is eventually going to find something
in the photos that the other agent was taking in the laundromat.

So crazy that Gus sensed that something was not quite right in the parking garage.[/SPOILER][/QUOTE]

Hank is going to figure something out it's just a matter of time.

I don't think it's hard to believe that Gus would be cautious about his car being left alone when he just killed Eladio, one of the most powerful drug lords, and the fact that he HAS to know Walt and Jesse have been talking behind his back and he may know they were planning on poisoning him.

I think that if anyone dies it's going to be hank.

Killing off the DEA catching Gus storyline will allow them to focus on Walt and Jesse as the only means to eliminate Gus. I think the show's writers have shown again and again that they're not really interested in things going the "right" way or the "official" way.

I don't know that anyone will get killed specifically in the finale though. There's other ways they could shock and tease season 5.

Evil genius. Literally. My jaw dropped when I realized what was going to happen to Gus.

Oh and if you don't think there are truly observant people who predicted exactly what happened: http://origin.avclub.com/articles/end-times,62390/#comment-325469992

[quote name='dothog']There's supposedly a single image file making the rounds that spoils the entire finale. In one image. Rumor is that it is a stunner.

You been warned.

I'm going in to internet shutdown mode on BB. See you guys after the finale![/QUOTE]

Y'know, it's probably the image that gives the finale its name. But, after watching the whole episode, I'm thinking it's also possible that it's the final shot of the finale. Not as 'spoilerish' in terms of what happens but in terms of what happened.

[quote name='macontosh2000']My finale reaction:
:shock:

:shock:

:shock::shock::shock:[/QUOTE]

Corrected...
Son of a bitch these people know how to write!

Maybe the S3 finale made me a little jaded, but I wasn't as surprised by this one. The final shot wasn't surprising at all for me -- the question for me wasn't "Was it Walt?" but "What did he use?", and they answered that midway through the episode.

So Jesse was taken in by Walt yet again, but I understand why and how he was, I know it's not improbable.

Still a great show and a good season, but S3 remains the peak for me.

Like he said, "Still, he had to go"

Gus may have been playing nice with Jesse for the interim but make no mistake, once he found a replacement Jesse would have been just as dead as Walt.

As far as where does it go from here, one word, laptop. The last scene before Gus went to the nursing home showed him watching video of the lab on his laptop. Now Walt isn't gonna have to worry abotu Gus or the Cartel but he's gonna have to worry about a threat much closer to home, Hank. We'll see where it goes from here but if they can manage to pull off a credible Hank vs. Walt for the final season it could provide from some great storytelling.

[quote name='dothog']Maybe the S3 finale made me a little jaded, but I wasn't as surprised by this one. The final shot wasn't surprising at all for me -- the question for me wasn't "Was it Walt?" but "What did he use?", and they answered that midway through the episode.

So Jesse was taken in by Walt yet again, but I understand why and how he was, I know it's not improbable.

Still a great show and a good season, but S3 remains the peak for me.[/QUOTE]

They pretty much revealed that last week with the gun pointing at the plant. The real question to me was how did he do it? You would have to assume he used Saul to steal the cigarettes and to tell him how to find the boy.

On one hand, WOW. On another hand a bit underwhelming since you knew Gus would die and Walt had to live. I kinda wish he got away with it less cleanly or something. I thought something for sure would try to get him after the explosion.

[quote name='Naruto Uzumaki']This will have to do for now.

http://i.imgur.com/1ZsKJ.jpg
[/QUOTE]

LMAO! Oh man, christ.

The last 2 episodes had me thinking that the show had finally "jumped the shark". the last 15 seconds and it all made sense. can't wait till next season!

[quote name='yankeessuck']They pretty much revealed that last week with the gun pointing at the plant. The real question to me was how did he do it? You would have to assume he used Saul to steal the cigarettes and to tell him how to find the boy.[/QUOTE]

Saul's guard took the ricin cig from Jesse when He was patted down.

Walt gave Saul a Lily of the valley laced piece of candy to give to Brock.

Saul always brings candy to Brock when he drops off money from Jesse's salary to Andrea, so it wasn't suspicious at all and Saul just had to make sure Brock ate the tainted candy.

I thought it was a great finale, and the shot of gus' death was shocking, brutal, and just a little humorous, just like a lot of breaking bad's best moments.

But I still think having him walk out of the room and adjust his tie was a bit odd. The door was blown off its hinges, but gus walks out casually just seconds later? It was almost like a cartoon.

I think a shot that pulled into the room and showed a broken, burned, and gory gus convulsing on the floor would have been more logical and maybe even more powerful as his final moment of defeat. But that's just me.

[quote name='jer7583']I thought it was a great finale, and the shot of gus' death was shocking, brutal, and just a little humorous, just like a lot of breaking bad's best moments.

But I still think having him walk out of the room and adjust his tie was a bit odd. The door was blown off its hinges, but gus walks out casually just seconds later? It was almost like a cartoon.

I think a shot that pulled into the room and showed a broken, burned, and gory gus convulsing on the floor would have been more logical and maybe even more powerful as his final moment of defeat. But that's just me.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this completely. Your comment about the "cartoon" feel was exactly my reaction: The final shot of Gus reminded me of Tom in Tom & Jerry cartoons, where he'd get blown up and they'd put him in blackface or have pedals of shrapnel form a daisy around his head.

It's not to say I didn't like the finale, I just felt it was lacking the suspense and genuine surprise of other episodes. I know there are people who were completely blindsided by the big reveal at the very end, and for those people this episode might've been the greatest thing ever. Ever since Walt's "this is my territory" and then his involving himself in Jane's death, I've been very skeptical of him/his intentions. If a kid comes up sick, and it just happens to get Jesse on board with a Walter White Deluxe Plan, I'm going to assume sick kid was made sick by WW. That's how I do since S2.

So the bigger surprise would have been to find out that Walt absolutely wasn't involved, that he was completely aboveboard with Jesse (for once), and that the kid just had an STI (e.g. The MEGACLAP).

EDIT: I just want to agree with a comment above about Aaron Paul's performance this year. I'd imagine Bryan Cranston will still get the majority of kudos, but I think in S4 he was surpassed just a little by Jesse. Not because of any flaw in the performance behind Walt, just because there was a bigger, more challenging range for Jesse this year, and the performance nailed it. The problem dog scene was so good, part of what made it feel "bigger" to me than any Walt scene this year is that Jesse/Aaron Paul had a room full of people to communicate to. So often Walt is 1-on-1, but Jesse worked that room, man. It was amazing.

You do hear crazy stories about people receiving traumatic injuries and surviving for a short time after, it's not that that bothers me, it's that he is up and able to walk so quickly after the blast.

I found the scene to be shocking to be honest.

Sure in retrospect it was a little goofy, but if they had just zoomed into a room filled with gory parts or a decapitated head it would have been too obvious/cliched. Bomb goes off -> boom they are dead. The end.

The fact that Gus walks out of the room initially looking unharmed was extremely surprising and an "oh shit!" moment. For a brief second I thought Gus was still alive (will this guy ever die??), that maybe he had dodged the blast or the bomb had malfunctioned and he was going to kill Jesse or Walt.

The frontal reveal afterwards was epic.

Once again this season tops the last. It is hands down my favorite show on television.

bread's done
Back