Breaking Bad Appreciation Thread

[quote name='antlp89']I found the scene to be shocking to be honest.

Sure in retrospect it was a little goofy, but if they had just zoomed into a room filled with gory parts or a decapitated head it would have been too obvious/cliched. Bomb goes off -> boom they are dead. The end.

The fact that Gus walks out of the room initially looking unharmed was extremely surprising and an "oh shit!" moment. For a brief second I thought Gus was still alive (will this guy ever die??), that maybe he had dodged the blast or the bomb had malfunctioned and he was going to kill Jesse or Walt.

The frontal reveal afterwards was epic.

Once again this season tops the last. It is hands down my favorite show on television.[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah man, same thoughts. Fixed his tie I think and then they show his face. Really is a great show, never thought Bryan Cranston could do a show like this after watching Malcom in the Middle when I was a kid. Too bad next year will probably be it's last.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']never thought Bryan Cranston could do a show like this after watching Malcom in the Middle when I was a kid.[/QUOTE]

Christ...

Sure in retrospect it was a little goofy, but if they had just zoomed into a room filled with gory parts or a decapitated head it would have been too obvious/cliched. Bomb goes off -> boom they are dead. The end.

The fact that Gus walks out of the room initially looking unharmed was extremely surprising and an "oh shit!" moment. For a brief second I thought Gus was still alive (will this guy ever die??), that maybe he had dodged the blast or the bomb had malfunctioned and he was going to kill Jesse or Walt.

Once again this season tops the last. It is hands down my favorite show on television.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the way Gus realizes what's going on a second before they cut to the hallway to show the bomb going off combined with him walking out almost made me think he had used the bed to shield himself or something. In that fraction of a second before they showed him as Two Face I was just thinking, oh man, Walt is so fucking screwed.

I literally did this:

homealone.jpg

Vince Gilligan said they did that shot (outside the room) in two separate takes, but it looks seamless. Technology today, mazing.

Here's the gif
10_gustavodemise.gif

Also,
What's that falling in the background? Do you think it's Hector's body? I mean, look at that wheelchair

[quote name='Filler2001']Here's the gif
10_gustavodemise.gif

Also,
What's that falling in the background? Do you think it's Hector's body? I mean, look at that wheelchair
[/QUOTE]

It falls quite fast but its probably just some random debris or fabric floating around after the blast

On the podcast they just mentioned that they timed the falling of the "debris" on purpose in that shot, so it was just meant to be debris.

If you look closely though you can see what you have to assume is one of tio's dismembered legs on the floor. Gross.

Yeah, they wanted you to think Guy somehow survived. Is it totally realistic? no, but that's the reason they revealed him that way.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99'] Too bad next year will probably be it's last.[/QUOTE]

It's not probable, it is the last. Unless you count it as two seasons cause they are splitting up the final 16 episodes into two runs.

The creators of the show didn't even plan on it going this long.

If they made that episode the series finale, I would have been pleased! I do want more Mike. Also, I told my wife as soon as Brock was poisoned it was Walt. Nobody believed me, glad to see I was right. I only knew it was him because in the beginning of this season, he said in an interview that people would be sickened with Walt.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']If they made that episode the series finale, I would have been pleased! I do want more Mike. Also, I told my wife as soon as Brock was poisoned it was Walt. Nobody believed me, glad to see I was right. I only knew it was him because in the beginning of this season, he said in an interview that people would be sickened with Walt.[/QUOTE]

my friend who's watching from episode 1 air date said the same thing, he wished last episode ended the series. I still say Hank v. Walt needs to happen, as I felt it would always go down ever since the Tequila incident. He says no one can predict the show and that will never happen. I'd take my bet.

it would be a fitting, if open ended series finale but I think that walt has a ways to go yet before truly breaking bad.

By the end of 5th season I would expect him to have fully lost any concern for family, the law, hank, jesse, etc. Just completely out for himself above all else.

I also think Walt will go down a darker path in season 5.

In the end I think Jesse will (and should) be the one to kill Walt.

I honestly hope Walt brings back Heisenberg! I felt the last episode was all Heisenberg but without the Hat. He was just so Ruthless as Heisengerg. Also, next season I can see Mike bringing in some very Angry Chileans to avenge Gus's Death.

Also, just some loose ends that still bother me and I hope they wrap up on.

1: Gus's Videos on his computer of Walt and Jesse cooking.
2: How did Walt know Jesse would be at the lab cooking? Gus told him to take the week off.
3: Walt has no Alibi at all for when he wasn't at Hanks house. DEA and FBI getting involved like crazy when he has no Alibi.

Also, I was looking through one of my breaking bad boards and found this. It shows Gus's demise. I love how they plant stuff for us and we don't know till a later episode of it.

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg859/scaled.php?tn=0&server=859&filename=6xybm.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

That's Gale Apartment.

[quote name='jer7583'] it would be a fitting, if open ended series finale but I think that walt has a ways to go yet before truly breaking bad.[/QUOTE]

Hasn't he 'broke bad' already? He's killed at least 7 people thus far, and poisoned a kid.

Anybody else think his cancer might resurface again? I could very well see that being the death of him and not anybody killing him truthfully.

^Brian Cranston said in an interview I heard last week that the cancer is going to kill him. Take that for what it's worth I guess.

That would be the best (but worse of course, fuck you Cancer!) thing I could think of to end the series instead of Jessie or anybody else killing him. Even though Jessie has a lot of motive, Walt did kill his G/F and posion Brock.

My wife and I just started watching this series last night on Netflix. The pilot was great! But what's with the censorship? They bleep out fuck and even "god" in "god damn". Anything else missing or is nothing missing at all - is this how it was broadcast originally? Either way it's pretty obnoxious.

EDIT: now I found this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/netflix/comments/l7k7s/so_for_some_reason_breaking_bad_is_censored/

and this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/netflix/comments/l7k7s/so_for_some_reason_breaking_bad_is_censored/

so it sounds like Netflix swapped the pilot for the censored version of the pilot. In theory, at least, the rest of the episodes should be uncensored. Lame that the pilot is censored, though. Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vulcan2422']That would be the best (but worse of course, fuck you Cancer!) thing I could think of to end the series instead of Jessie or anybody else killing him. Even though Jessie has a lot of motive, Walt did kill his G/F and posion Brock.[/QUOTE]

He didn't kill her. He just didn't make any attempt to save her

[quote name='slickkill77']He didn't kill her. He just didn't make any attempt to save her[/QUOTE]

That would be the same thing in my book. You see a woman choking on vomit and refuse to put her on her side? Sounds like he killed her to me.

The finale was awesome. My friends and I freaked out after seeing Gus' face half blown off. The big reveal at the end was a big shocker. Looking forward to the final season a year from now.

On a side note, I have been looking for other shows as captivating as Breaking Bad and lots of people have recommended The Wire saying it's the best drama ever made. I watched the entire first season and thought it was just OK. I don't understand what's so great about it. The acting was awesome and the look at life in the projects of Baltimore was kind of interesting but the rest seems to fall flat. There's no songs or musical score in any of the episodes (aside from the opening and ending themes). The character's are kind of flat and most of them uninteresting. The worst part is the pacing is pretty slow. It does kind of buildup to a payoff in the last few episodes, but nothing compared to Breaking Bad.

I just don't understand what's so amazing about this show.

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']The finale was awesome. My friends and I freaked out after seeing Gus' face half blown off. The big reveal at the end was a big shocker. Looking forward to the final season a year from now.

On a side note, I have been looking for other shows as captivating as Breaking Bad and lots of people have recommended The Wire saying it's the best drama ever made. I watched the entire first season and thought it was just OK. I don't understand what's so great about it. The acting was awesome and the look at life in the projects of Baltimore was kind of interesting but the rest seems to fall flat. There's no songs or musical score in any of the episodes (aside from the opening and ending themes). The character's are kind of flat and most of them uninteresting. The worst part is the pacing is pretty slow. It does kind of buildup to a payoff in the last few episodes, but nothing compared to Breaking Bad.

I just don't understand what's so amazing about this show.[/QUOTE]

Keep going, it gets better.

[quote name='Filler2001']
10_gustavodemise.gif
[/QUOTE]

That is easily the worst part of that last episode in my opinion, way OTT. It would've been better if they didn't show Gus at all and instead focused on the reaction of those first on the scene. Whoever thought that up has been playing way too many video games.

[quote name='sykotek']That is easily the worst part of that last episode in my opinion, way OTT. It would've been better if they didn't show Gus at all and instead focused on the reaction of those first on the scene. Whoever thought that up has been playing way too many video games.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I see what they were going for.

Although I think they may have been able to get the same effect if he slowly stumbled out, struggling to live, the camera panned around, showed his face, and then he dropped.

To the above poster who is wondering how Walt knew how to find Jesse at the lab. I would guess that Walt's intended goal on heading to the lab was to destroy all evidence and burn it down. His whole process was methodical, so I would guess finding Jesse at the lab was an added bonus. That he would appear unphased or indifferent, perhaps suggests how far Walt has delved into the Heisenberg psyche.

Just my two cents.

And to the lesser above poster who said The Wire is only good. Its not a show for all people, but I would argue its the best TV show of the past 20 years. However, if you haven't watched The Shield you should. Seasons 1 and 2 are dated by today's standards, but after the Season kicks into gear with Season 3, in terms of sheer intensity, few can surpass it.

Sorry for not quoting. But to the lesser, lesser above poster. DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!

[quote name='DestroVega']^Brian Cranston said in an interview I heard last week that the cancer is going to kill him. Take that for what it's worth I guess.[/QUOTE]

Could be taken to mean the cancer resurfacing drives him to do something that results in him being killed. As long as the writers have a poignant endgame, I think we'll be fine.

I watched this whole season in about two days. It's such a good show in terms of the story, directing, etc.

I'm so incredibly glad that Tyrus is gone. He was such a terrible actor and every scene with him in it was terrible.

The Gus scene was corny.

I'm pissed off that Mike is coming back this next season. That old man is so annoying and I was hoping he bled to death in Mexico.

Sorry to disagree, but i absolutely love the character of Mike, and I hope he plays a big role in the next season...possibly as Walt's #1 henchman.

I think the "Mike sucks" battle is one he will fight alone. Starting with his cleanup of the Jane situation and concluding with his infiltration of the chemical factory, that's a full season of episodes to realize that the actor behind Mike is busy getting it done. If the factory scene didn't get you, then the half measures speech will.

One of my favorite Mike moments is how we wrecks the complete silence of the scene after he dispatches all of the cartel boys in the factory scene. It's one of those "you gotta see it to appreciate it" moments. His low key, exasperated "Chang you got somethin' you wanna tell me?!", as though he just dialed up Chang on the phone instead of killing 5 or 6 dudes, is one of the funniest lines in the whole show to me.

And it's all on the actor, while it's not bad material, outside of the half measures speech he's not given really meaty stuff. The actor just kills it, man. And when he is given meaty stuff, like the half measures speech? All of the audience except for davo is transfixed, that was a great TV moment right there.

Picked up rage over the weekend. Of course I remember the product placement in season 4, but did anyone notice that badger voices one of the characters in the game?

The Gus scene may have been corny but if you listen to the interviews with the shows creator he was trying to make a point; that Gus was basically methodical and machine like even in the face of death. It was more about Gus being almost invincible rather than realistic

finally caught up. loved the end of the season, except for the last scene with gus. i know they were trying to trick us, but it was a bit over the top for me.

i definitely think that the last season has to be walt vs. hank.

Still undecided if I am going to watch it right away or wait for it. Isn't this last season supposed to be split in half like The Walking Dead? I don't know if I'd be willing to put up with that...

Mike is one of the best characters on the show, IMO. Better than Walt Jr. The actor is probably a millionaire and all he did was eat cereal for four seasons.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Mike is one of the best characters on the show, IMO. Better than Walt Jr. The actor is probably a millionaire and all he did was eat cereal for four seasons.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

walt-jr-breakfast.jpg

bread's done
Back