Brilliant Halo 2 Publicity Stuff

Damn, the video gets kinda choppy every time in-game footage is being shown. Anyone else have this problem? I can't tell if it's my comp or for dramatic effect. I'm leaning towards my comp though. #-o

[quote name='pimp tyranny']i don't know about Bungie's storytelling abilitiy. Halo's story was unoriginal, and not that interesting.[/quote]

:shock: Too much talking for you, wasn't it?

[quote name='pimp tyranny']i don't know about Bungie's storytelling abilitiy. Halo's story was unoriginal, and not that interesting.[/quote]

If you say so, pimp tranny. :roll:

[quote name='pimp tyranny']wow, i guess i've seen more sci-fi movies and read more sci-fi books than most. yes, it is unoriginal.[/quote]

Nerds, sheesh. :roll:

I'm playing Halo for the first time (I just finished (literally) Silent Chorogerasdsd (however you say it).) Anyways, the story is VERY compelling. SO what if its unoriginal? That doesn't change the fact that it is one of the most engrossing games every. I'm glad im playing it now- if i had to wait any longer to see more of the story, it would kill me.

[quote name='regisphilbi0']I'm playing Halo for the first time (I just finished (literally) Silent Chorogerasdsd (however you say it).) Anyways, the story is VERY compelling. SO what if its unoriginal? That doesn't change the fact that it is one of the most engrossing games every. I'm glad im playing it now- if i had to wait any longer to see more of the story, it would kill me.[/quote]

Think the game is engrossing now? Get 4 buddies over and a whole lot of beer.. watch what happens.

i don't know about Bungie's storytelling abilitiy. Halo's story was unoriginal, and not that interesting.

Considering that its a First Person Shooter, the story is pretty good. Now, the storyline may not hold up to, say, the complete works of William Shakespeare, or Robert Heinlein, or even Larry Niven, but for an FPS its pretty good.

[quote name='dafoomie']
i don't know about Bungie's storytelling abilitiy. Halo's story was unoriginal, and not that interesting.

Considering that its a First Person Shooter, the story is pretty good. Now, the storyline may not hold up to, say, the complete works of William Shakespeare, or Robert Heinlein, or even Larry Niven, but for an FPS its pretty good.[/quote]

Play Half Life or Far Cry. Now those were good stories.

Far Cry had a good story? What the ****. It had basically no story and a VERY predictable and anticlimatic ending. That game is completly awesome, but it has almost no story at all...wtf.

a lot of people do not know that marathon came before bungie and if you compare the 2 stories, they have similarities.

people have been saying how the counter may be counting down to the release of halo 2 and not the 77 day theory once mentioned....

Go play Marathon RIGHT NOW. Then try to tell me they don't know how to make a good story.

http://orbitalarm.bungie.org/downloads/alephone.html

This program allows you to play the entirety of Marathon I for free and is completely legal and endorsed by Bungie. Enjoy.

im still not understanding this at all......i think they are releasing halo 2 in 17 days though........maybe some people will shit there pants when they walk into BB and see halo 2 on the shelf or recieve it on their doorstep from a pre order soon

[quote name='pimp_daddy_smurf']im still not understanding this at all......i think they are releasing halo 2 in 17 days though........maybe some people will shit there pants when they walk into BB and see halo 2 on the shelf or recieve it on their doorstep from a pre order soon[/quote]
I doubt they will release it early, but you never know. I have seen some speculation that there will be a playable demo soon.

Have you guys looked at www.ilovebees.com ? It flashes at the end of the trailer, and has all kinds of stuff that is obviously related to Halo 2, even if you dont' see it at first. A creepy and brilliant move on Bungie's part.

[quote name='The source code on [url']www.ilovebees.com]Seek[/url] the truth

Behold the truth

Reveal the truth

That is the law and the whole of the law
[/quote]

View the source on the pages. You find all sorts of neat stuff.

While this mystery cryptic uber-geek stuff is briefly fascinating...I don't really have the patience to sit there and ponder what this means for Halo 2 (if it means anything for Halo 2 at all). Kudos to the people who actually do.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin'][quote name='dafoomie']

Considering that its a First Person Shooter, the story is pretty good. Now, the storyline may not hold up to, say, the complete works of William Shakespeare, or Robert Heinlein, or even Larry Niven, but for an FPS its pretty good.[/quote]

Play Half Life or Far Cry. Now those were good stories.[/quote]

Half-Life's story was ok, but it's not like it was infinitely more creative than Halo's or anything. Yes, the fact that some military orginization was trying to wipe him out as well was an interesting twist, but come on...Half-Life is essentially "Science experiment goes crazy, unleashing monsters on humans. One guy has to take the fight to them." Wasn't that the same basic story for Doom?

Hey, I love Half-Life, but I'm not going to pretend the story is as amazing as some people seem to make it out to be. Halo's story was more fleshed-out. Whether or not you thought the story was actually better is up to you. I liked it.

Far Cry? I only played the first level because I was so disappointed with the game. Hey, it could have had the best story ever (which I sort of doubt from what I saw), but if I'm not liking the game itself...who cares?

Threw up a few more links. As for story, it's terribly hard to come up with something entirely original nowadays. I think the best thing a developer can do outside of the story is presentation, and I think both Half-Life and Halo had some great presentation.

What do you think it's about? Again, this thread was originally intended for discussion so I'm eager to hear what your thoughts are. :)

[quote name='jmcc']Eh, I enjoyed the Cortana letters more so far.[/quote]

There are a lot of similarities in ddiction and even almost direct quotes from the Cortana letters in that website somewhere. (www.ilovebees.com)

It's interesting, but wholly unsatisfying because there's no way you could figure it out without perfect knowledge of the Marathon games and a genius level intelligence.

yes the reference to being behind enemy lines and the reference to spiders hints that its about halo 2.

go to www.ilovebees.com and look at the source code for the different pages of the site..

heres a little..

Code:
MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY
Of course the crew won't come for me if they're all dead. If they're all dead and I alone am left to tell the tale.

I'm crying, and my tears are made of sand.

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY

FIELD EXPEDIENT DIRECTION FINDING

"Find a straight stick about a meter long and stand it upright on fairly level upright ground. Mark the tip of the shadow cast by the stick: wait 15 minutes: mark the shadow again. Draw a line from the first mark through the second and some way beyond. Stand with your left foot on the first mark and your right on the end of the line. In the northern hemisphere, you will now be facing north, and can recall the other directions by their relationship to north. In the south, contrariwise."

Hm.

No stick.

No sun.

EDIT:
also i just found this one..

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY

Ship.

Wreck.

Shipwreck.

Wrecked.

Ship.

Shipwreck.

MY HEAD IS FULL OF SAND

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY
nd in about half an Hour the Boat was overset by a sudden Flurry from the North. What became of my Companions in the Boat, as well as of those who escaped on the Rock, or were left in the Vessel, I cannot tell; but conclude they were all lost.

lay down on the Grass, which was very short and soft, where I slept sounder than ever I remember to have done in my Life, and, as I reckoned, above Nine Hours; for when I awakened, it was just Day-light. I attempted to rise, but was not able to stir: For as I happen'd to lye on my Back, I found my Arms and Legs were strongly fastened on each Side to the Ground; and my Hair, which was long and thick, tied down in the same Manner. I likewise felt several slender Ligatures across my Body, from my Armpits to my Thighs.

i'm guessing these messages are supposed to hint at the storyline of Halo 2?

guessing that you are trapped on a sandy planet that is dark (says theres no sun) and you have to try and get off the planet or something.. hrmm

....everytime i go to a page, a new one of these appears...

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY
I've been here forever.
Conscious, unconscious.

Code:
On, off.  On, off.  On off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on offoff on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on 
off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off on off
Code:
Nobody here.
Nobody calling.
Nobody's going to come.

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY
Phasmids.

I have to signal, I can't stay stranded here. But if I somehow am operating behind enemy lines, I don't want to draw attention to myself, either.

Therefore, I shall be a phasmid. Phasmidia Elegans, they call me-scourge of the sandbox.

God I hate it here.

Phasmids.

damn more and more keep appearing..

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY
All lost! To prayers, to prayers! All lost!

What, must our mouths be cold?

Arachne hung herself, you know. Take a hint already.

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY

First thing I should do, make a signal.

The crew will come get me if they can.

Head is full of sand and it's hard to think.

But they won't stop looking for me.

I'M HERE I'M HERE I'M HERE

I'd fight for them. I'd die for them, any

of them. I would never abandon the crew.

They won't abandon me. They will come.

They will come for me.

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY

Those are pearls that were her eyes:

Nothing of her that doth fade

But doth suffer a sea-change

Into something rich and strange

Eight legs (I feel them walking on me) and how many voices-three? Five? Eight?-I am become a most delicate monster indeed.

What a brave new world-sand and darkness, sand and loneliness, sand and emptiness, sand and the spider-what a brave new world, that hath such monsters in it.

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY
totally different kind of memory all of a sudden, floating up like a bubble from deep water, then *pop* on the surface of my mind. All in black and white for some reason, faded out, or just time bleaching the past like it does, time is hard that way, if you-

stop. stay on task, girl.
so *pop*, and I'm...

playing on the beach, very young, making a castle out of sand. It's a good castle, I'm smart, I'm really smart and I'm good with my hands and the castle is beautiful but the tide is coming up, I'm making dikes and moats and outer walls, getting a little desperate here this castle means the world to me it's way better than my brother's, but the tide is rising and rising, the tide is always coming up and no matter how hard I try to save what I have made, sooner or later the spiders wash over it and melt it down I'm losing the memory already I can't see myself was I wearing a dress or overalls or ...? There's a boy on the beach next to me but a wave comes up foaming with spiders and takes away his face-

oh.

we're made of sand.

we're both made of sand.

uh-oh.

I will stand firm. I will hold my edges and remember. I can do this. I know how to remember things, even through drugs and torture. seek evade reveal resist. I will not dissolve.

There are people who love me. I know that even though I can't remember them. I will not be forgotten. I will not be forgotten.

There are people who love me. There must be.

here come the spiders.

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY
black beach, nothing but sand and darkness. Sometimes, in the distance, dry lightning: in the flash I see pieces of the wreck around me, the spars and rigging of my brain

-hold on. hold on. Steady up. Get a grip, girl. You have to fight through this.

Take a deep breath.

Survival Key #3: How Badly Are You Hurt?

Mentally, subject is confused and disoriented.

I keep slipping in and out of consciousness.

Physically, subject is paralyzed but moving.

Okay.

What the hell does THAT mean?

Held down: yes. As if strapped to a table. Could I be in traction in some sick bay, some hospital ward?

Not necessarily one of ours.

But at the same time, parts of me being moved around, emptied out. As if under general anaesthetic, dimly conscious, half-aware as the surgeon cuts off my feet and sews them onto my shoulders. She opens my head with a medical hammer and sand spills out.

I WANT TO DIE I WANT TO-

-no.

never that.

survive evade reveal escape. That is all you know, or need to know.

Code:
MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY
Tricky. Can't seem to focus. Need to start on the easy ones, like "up". Move on to the compass later.

Up.

Up.

...Damn it.

You'd think "up" wouldn't be too much to ask. It's not like nor-nor-east or something.

I need to find out where I am. Also who, but that might be less important. It's possible the two things are related.

Stars, I need stars. I was always a fine sailor; they said my navigation was celestial.  

I think I am a fallen star. I should wish on myself. Please let me go home, please let me go home, please let me go home, please let me go home, please please please please please please please ple

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY
Getting muddled here. Sick, obviously.

Broken inside. Not thinking straight.

Got to go back to first principles.

Survive evade reveal escape.

Survive-well, I'm not dead yet.
Evade-don't want to evade. I want to be FOUND.

...unless...

...of course, if I am behind enemy lines, then constantly shouting for help wouldn't be the smartest play in the world, would it?

got to run silent. got to run deep.

hide and go seek

Seek the truth

Behold the truth

Reveal the truth

That is the law and the whole of the law

Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth
Seek the truth
Behold the truth
Reveal the truth

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY
Gap in the clouds: head suddenly much clearer.
The spider is working on me.
I must be in very bad shape.

MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY

"At night in the Earth's southern hemisphere, run an imaginary line along the axis of the Southern Cross to extend out about five times the length of that axis. Any landmark directly under that imaginary point will be in the general direction of south."

Any landmark.

Sandmark.

anything

anything

nothing

thats all i feel like looking for right now... basically i've figured out that if you go to a page besides the homepage, and you refresh, everytime you refresh there will be a new message...

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='pimp tyranny']wow, i guess i've seen more sci-fi movies and read more sci-fi books than most. yes, it is unoriginal.[/quote]

Nerds, sheesh. :roll:[/quote]

well, maybe you're joking, idk. but from a guy who spends this much time talking about games, and who complains about posts lost on a message board, you're sounding a little nerdy yourself there, badass.

[quote name='pimp tyranny'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='pimp tyranny']wow, i guess i've seen more sci-fi movies and read more sci-fi books than most. yes, it is unoriginal.[/quote]

Nerds, sheesh. :roll:[/quote]

well, maybe you're joking, idk. but from a guy who spends this much time talking about games, and who complains about posts lost on a message board, you're sounding a little nerdy yourself there, badass.[/quote]

OH THE IRONY!

6194641.jpg
knee.jpg

that is guessed to be the chinese launch of the game

b/c the javascript that does the countdown is called "Countdowntochina.js"

anyone ever read the book ENDER'S GAME? Well all of this hoopla about halo 2 and ilovebees.com is very reminescent of that to me. This is extremely dorky (so dorky i might get the boot from the forum) but bear with me. What if.... everyone who will own halo2 was really controlling a master cheif in times of war in a galaxies far away. And that the existence of the universe and humans and everything else was somewhat dependent upon the skills of gamers. Wouldn't that be insane, or maybe its just a stoner thought. who knows? but if im right, wouldn't that make me a genius. okay... im gonna end now. Please reply if youve read enders game.

[quote name='KaneRobot']While this mystery cryptic uber-geek stuff is briefly fascinating...I don't really have the patience to sit there and ponder what this means for Halo 2 (if it means anything for Halo 2 at all). Kudos to the people who actually do.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin'][quote name='dafoomie']

Play Half Life or Far Cry. Now those were good stories.[/quote]

Half-Life's story was ok, but it's not like it was infinitely more creative than Halo's or anything. Yes, the fact that some military orginization was trying to wipe him out as well was an interesting twist, but come on...Half-Life is essentially "Science experiment goes crazy, unleashing monsters on humans. One guy has to take the fight to them." Wasn't that the same basic story for Doom?

Hey, I love Half-Life, but I'm not going to pretend the story is as amazing as some people seem to make it out to be. Halo's story was more fleshed-out. Whether or not you thought the story was actually better is up to you. I liked it.

Far Cry? I only played the first level because I was so disappointed with the game. Hey, it could have had the best story ever (which I sort of doubt from what I saw), but if I'm not liking the game itself...who cares?[/quote]

NOLF 2 has an awesome story line. Sad thing is no one plays it. The dialog the characters have with each other is great, and how can you top a game with Ninja's, Mime's and guys who have been folded into little square's

[quote name='jughead']anyone ever read the book ENDER'S GAME? Well all of this hoopla about halo 2 and ilovebees.com is very reminescent of that to me. This is extremely dorky (so dorky i might get the boot from the forum) but bear with me. What if.... everyone who will own halo2 was really controlling a master cheif in times of war in a galaxies far away. And that the existence of the universe and humans and everything else was somewhat dependent upon the skills of gamers. Wouldn't that be insane, or maybe its just a stoner thought. who knows? but if im right, wouldn't that make me a genius. okay... im gonna end now. Please reply if youve read enders game.[/quote]

Maybe it's like the Last Starfighter and the best gamer gets to become a real Master Chief...

bread's done
Back