Buy 1 Get 1 Free on Select games @ Target (YMMV?)

Bezerker

CAGiversary!
Feedback
38 (97%)
Just got back from trading in some games at Target and was told & shown the printout stating that all the games with a Price Sticker & Barcode on the front of the case (see picture below) are Buy 1 Get 1 Free.  I did not read the fine print to see when the promotion ends, but it seems like a great deal as there are some pretty good games in the selection.

Photo Courtesy of Shipwreck (though im a bit worried about the games on his racks not having the barcodes on front)

Bn8tUimIEAAhmY5.jpg

Example of sticker:

Receipt Proof:

A main reason I put the YMMV tag in the title is that 3 of the stores I've been to keep all of the "specially marked" games in the back room gathering dust, so unless you have a DCPI, theres no way to tell what games they have for sale.  Each store that actually put them on the shelf has had around 50-100 titles, all varying and across 360, Ps3, Wii, Vita, DS, 3DS and PSP.

*EDIT* Removed "holiday 2013" branding as it was causing confusion.  Just calling them "specially marked" since its easier to summarize.

Last edited by a moderator:
considering how cheap the game itself can be had for right now and whats inside the collectors edition (i got one for under 20$ when gamestop converted it to used) i honestly think you overpaid
Yeah, I thought about that too. I already had the game from when it came with the PS3 bundle, but considering I had spare Target credit, am an avid fan of the Assassin's Creed franchise, and couldn't find it sealed anywhere, I told myself what the heck?

If you can find two of them, the AC3 LEs for PS3(ONLY!) are a good way to move credit to Amazon if you have credit from the trade in thing this week.

Grabbed :ps3: Lollipop Chainsaw and :vita: Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus for $19.99. Also grabbed two games on clearance and they did an override so I got one free.
Lolipop Chainsaw is no longer in the system. Were you just lucky your store was still selling it?

Found a metal gear solid collection vita today so I paired it with dungeon hunter alliance since they're both 30$ . I gonna return dungeon hunter and will have essentially got metal gear for 15$ .
IDK if that would work but that still looks shady.

I grabbed the following Vita games at my local store yesterday:
-Need for Speed: Most Wanted
-Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2+
-Rayman Legends
-Soul Sacrifice - this one scanned at $39.99 but was tagged $29.99 so the clerk manually adjusted it for me :)

All for ~$50! :D

I might check a few more stores and see if I can find Rayman Origins and Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

Got Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2+ and Lolipop Chainsaw for 20$, awesome deal, thanks OP

Saw KH3D in the stack but it wouldnt register. Also saw Metal Gear Snake Eater for 3DS. Would have searched more games through DCPI but the cashier and stockroom guys acted like I was a nuisance.

Pro tip: go to a scanner where you can type in a DPCI: type in 207-22-0799

If it says "special purchase" on the right side of the screen the sale is on.
And if your store's scanners don't have number keys, you can hold down the last button for a few seconds to bring up an on-screen keypad.

I am not sure if it was a mistake, but i was able to get Mario and Sonic Sochi 2014 w/remote (DPCI): 207-30-0037 It was in the display case. The customer service rep took 50% off each game.

Went to another Target today and they had an entire endcap of games with a sign for the deal.  I asked the electronics guy and he said it applied to all of them that were there.  There were quite a few games there that were clearly not part of the deal (and I checked the scanner to be sure), games like Mario Kart and NSMB DS.  I would have picked them up, but even at 17.50 each (34.99/2) and still having to argue about it when it doesn't ring up properly, I didn't feel like bothering.

Picked up the following on the Buy 1 Get 1 Free Promo (all $19.99 priced each):

:vita: Super Monkey Ball Banana Splitz 

:vita: Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus

:vita: Jak and Daxter Collection

:vita: Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

The DPCI for Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 is 207-20-0070 just in case anyone needs it. 

Picked up the following on the Buy 1 Get 1 Free Promo (all $19.99 priced each):

:vita: Super Monkey Ball Banana Splitz

:vita: Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus

:vita: Jak and Daxter Collection

:vita: Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

The DPCI for Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 is 207-20-0070 just in case anyone needs it.
Thanks, I'd kill to find UMVC3. I missed it during the TRU clearance. Does anyone have a link to a working inventory locator? None of the ones I have are working.

This site has always worked for me with Staples/Target clearance, only down side is the need of the online product # vs. the DPCI

http://www.userquote.com/tools/inventory_checker.php

A quick google search often leads to the cached page with the item number in the web address.  That's how I found MGS HD Vita.

Here is the online # for Marvel v. Capcom Vita: 14039452

This site has always worked for me with Staples/Target clearance, only down side is the need of the online product # vs. the DPCI

A quick google search often leads to the cached page with the item number in the web address. That's how I found MGS HD Vita.

Thanks, there is one close to me that shows it in stock, might check it out tomorrow.

So will this work automatically in the system?

I am hoping to stop for some games, but I didn't see no sign or nothing jesus
Yes, but to make sure you can go to a scanner and check If it shows special purchase on the scanner then it'll ring up buy 1 get 1 free. I got Dungeon Hunter Alliance and Resistance Burning Skies today for Vita.

I scanned Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus on a scanner in my local Target and it didn't have the special purchase thing.  I guess this isn't nationwide?

Didnt notice before I brought it, but to any hardcore trophy hunters apparently Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus 2 is literally impossible to Platinum. Kind of hilarious they managed to screw it up so badly.

I picked up the last two copies of NFS: MW (Vita) and DOA5 (VIta) at the Target in Edison, Nj.  The woman said the titles had been discontinued and brought a box of vita games from the stock room which had like a dozen copies of MVC3 for vita as well as a few copies of NGS2, Smart As, Hot Shots Golf, Resistance, and Soul Sacrifice.  So anyone in the area might want to check it out.

Is the AC3 LE part of this deal at all Targets in-stock or YMMV?
If you bring it up to a price scanner, once you scan it, it should say special offer on the right hand side instead of expect more, pay less. I tried the PS3 and 360 versions, and they both apply, so I'm sure it's nationwide :)

If you bring it up to a price scanner, once you scan it, it should say special offer on the right hand side instead of expect more, pay less. I tried the PS3 and 360 versions, and they both apply, so I'm sure it's nationwide :)
Thanks. I'll be near a Target this week that had them in stock a few days ago so I'll be sure to check for it.

I guess this is dead?  I went this weekend and saw no deal like this at any Target I went to.

Funny, because earlier in the thread it was specifically said that this was not YMMV. And when I asked about this sale, the monkey playing cashier laughed and told me to quit making shit up to try to steal from Target :???:

No target I went to advertised about this sale nor did any employee know about this sale. They thought I was making shit up too. BUT the items still scanned as b1g1. As mentioned the correct way to check is to scan the games at the customer scanners and if it shows "special purchase" it qualifies. I'm fIrly certain this is every target.

fortunately, you guys have these games out for display and can bring it to a scanner.  My two local target stores have only shovelware and PC games out for display.  Everything else is locked behind the clear shelves.  When I checked for vita games, only had about 3, none of which were listed here.

When I tried to ask the employees to check the back if they had any other vita games in stock, got this response: "we don't have any, we know all the games we have in stock."  Tried to ask a second employee but all he did was go back to the first guy and I got the same answer.

I work at Target (Flower Mound, TX). This deal is not dead for those wondering. I managed to pull all of our discontinued games that are part of this promo to the floor.
The problem that most stores have is that all of the games on this deal are discontinued and don't have a sales floor location so they just sit in the stockroom.

When I tried to ask the employees to check the back if they had any other vita games in stock, got this response: "we don't have any, we know all the games we have in stock." Tried to ask a second employee but all he did was go back to the first guy and I got the same answer.
That really sucks and I'm sorry. I'm lucky that at the Target I work at in SoCal, there are two good employees that work in electronics. Neither one had any idea about the deal but pulled the games and tried them at the register for me. They worked and I bought them.

It sucks that Target doesn't educate employees about sales like this. Sadly, if the sign isn't up, they probably don't know about it.

Most anyone there with a PDA can look up the DCPI numbers and see if there are any of those games in the back, and if so, have someone pull them out. You could even call and they can look it up. Its a little more work on your end (which you shouldn't really have to do of course), but I guess it depends on how much you want those games.

No target I went to advertised about this sale nor did any employee know about this sale. They thought I was making shit up too. BUT the items still scanned as b1g1. As mentioned the correct way to check is to scan the games at the customer scanners and if it shows "special purchase" it qualifies. I'm fIrly certain this is every target.
That doesn't help me much since virtually every game, including those mentioned in this thread, is locked behind those glass display cases. Thanks anyways though.

Last edited:
If you get an employee that says there's none in the back, ask for a manager to go check. 90% of stores have most of the vita games either in the back or with a sign marking this sale

They're checking in back for me now. Nothing on shelves no sign or anything. Scanner says they have a bunch in stockroom woman checked pda which said zero of everything.

In a side note I'm a 5'10" 275 lb black man that was just working on my truck so my clothes are a little dirty. I'm standing near the stockroom door making everyone in electronics nervous while I type this on my Galaxy Note II. Especially the 5'4" dept manager who thinks I don't see him pretending to look at random crap in order to keep an eye on me. So I move every now and then to make him adjust his view.

They're checking in back for me now. Nothing on shelves no sign or anything. Scanner says they have a bunch in stockroom woman checked pda which said zero of everything. In a side note I'm a 5'10" 275 lb black man that was just working on my truck so my clothes are a little dirty. I'm standing near the stockroom door making everyone in electronics nervous while I type this on my Galaxy Note II. Especially the 5'4" dept manager who thinks I don't see him pretending to look at random crap in order to keep an eye on me. So I move every now and then to make him adjust his view.
Target doesn't have a sporting goods section like Wal-Mart do they? If not it's a shame, because it sounds like you could have a few laughs if you started asking about their handguns.

Ha ha they don't at least not here. I'd ask for those and if they had any clearance ski masks left over.

They came out with a tall stack the girl who helped me was awesome.

Bought soul sacrifice and marvel vs capcom for $21 I have soul sacrifice from ps+ but my 32 gig is full and I might decide to trade or return it anyway.

Just left a target with Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom Vita and MGS HD Collection Vita for $31.  Both of which were in the stockroom so definitely ask.

This didn't work out for me. One store had 4 games listed on the mobile online search link but when I went there, the guy couldn't find any.

Called my local store that used to have DOA5+ and they said they didn't have it. I knew they had it before and know the guy only checked the front which obviously wasn't there. He didn't bother checking the back. Target really sucks.

Sorry if this is a known fact, but to find a DPCI number of something that is discontinued follow these steps:

1. Search for the product name+Target in Google
  2. If you're in luck Google will have a crawled result of the page, grab the link even if the Target page says the item cannot be found
  3. Head to the Internet Wayback Machine and paste the link
  4. Open/View the source of any page in the past where the item was in stock
  5. Search the source (CTRL+F) for DPCI, and you will find a metadata entry for the DPCI.
This may or may not work depending on the item, but it has worked for the handful of games I was interested in MGS HD, Soul Sacrifice, and MvC3

*EDIT

This also works on the m.target.com site results from the below link. Instead of searching the source for "DPCI" search for "Product_id". Found Transformers and Hitman HD using this link will post numbers as soon as I get home.

A quick google search often leads to the cached page with the item number in the web address. That's how I found MGS HD Vita.

Wow dudes thanks for this awesome post! I went to my target in hawaii and got insane deals!!
Jak vita
Zelda skyward wii + cd
Mgs hd vita
Uncharted vita
Theaterrhythm 3ds
Dead alive 3ds
Wow its like they giving games away!
Almost like the TRU sale!!

Thanks to whoever posted the DPCI a few pages back, I was able to get UMvC3, I played the hell out of MVC3 on the PS3, but never played ultimate, and the Vita version is amazing. The guy had to go to the stockroom to pull it, at first he said it was discontinued and he made it sound like he wouldn't sell it to me, but they went and got it.  They barely had anything else for the buy 1 get 1 free, so I picked up Tetris 3DS for my wife, I already have it but it's a great game. I had a feeling they had more vita games in the back, but I didn't want to push it as the employee came off as an ass and made it seem like getting the game from the back was his equivalent of giving me the Holy Grail.

The funny thing is, this is the only store I've seen that actually had a set planogram for this sale. You would think they'd want to pull every game they have for this and throw it on the shelf. Having worked at Target for 6+ years, I know they could just pull a list of every game of this sale and pull whatever they have, I guess it's just laziness or short staff on their part.

What should I pair Up Hot shots Golf with?

Any other 19.99 games besides monkey ball or whatever lol

Can you price match them?

Picked up NGSP2 and DOA5P for $20 total, I'm satisfied. I also picked up around 12 "last chance" repackage games for $60, I can't quite remember them all(I was so mad that the guy ahead of me at the checkout got WWE 13 for $6.xx, ugh, I would've played the fuck out of that). The signs said it ends 5/31, also the scanner says that the item is a special buy or something like that.

edit:
2pqkkcx.jpg

Thanks for the link. It helped me locate a copy of UMvC3 nearby.

Picked up NGSP2 and DOA5P for $20 total, I'm satisfied. I also picked up around 12 "last chance" repackage games for $60, I can't quite remember them all(I was so mad that the guy ahead of me at the checkout got WWE 13 for $6.xx, ugh, I would've played the fuck out of that). The signs said it ends 5/31, also the scanner says that the item is a special buy or something like that.

edit:
2pqkkcx.jpg
Were Just Dance 3 & 4 part of the B1G1 free deal?

lolol that's funny the # of times I've seen people say something like "that game is inside the glass prison/behind the locked case" whatever....
If you look below that area, the shelf should be tagged with that game's name. Under the name of the game & some other details, on the bottom left corner should be the DPCI number printed on the left side, other side from the price, it won't have hyphens so it'll be a 3digit 2 digit 4 digit number. Take a picture/write it down/memorize it/whatever, go over to the price scanners, hit the last black button so the screen will turn into a number pad that you punch numbers in, put in the DPCI number you just saw on the shelf's price tag, then it'll show if it's a "special offer" or not on the right hand side of the screen.
The only games I saw here:
Men in Black/MIB game that was ringing up as $29.99....not sure if it's worth $14.99
Disney's Brave ringing up as $19.99, so $9.99 if I could find something to bundle it with, but that was it.

Saw Remember Me that was orange/red tagged clearance at $13.xx not the $5 mentioned earlier in this thread. And could not find a single Portal 2 game that was for $10 mentioned earlier either :sad:

bread's done
Back