Buy a PS3, Get a $100 GC This Weekend @ Best Buy

[quote name='jmbreci']Probably about a wash. You can find LBP GOTY for ~$20 and ModNation for $25-$30 when on sale. If you want the games, you are probably slightly better off getting the bundle depending on your tax rate since you would have to pay taxes on the games but do not in the bundle.[/QUOTE]

haha! The tax wouldn't be $50 on $50 worth of games. I wasn't aware of any state that charged 100% sales tax.
Better off with the GC deal.

[quote name='Cheapskate']So correct me if I'm wrong: if I'm planning to get LBP GOTY and ModNation Racers anyways, it'd almost be a better for me to get that bundle for $299 with the $50 GC, than to get the bare bones one for $299 and a $100 GC, right? (If only the bundle came with the $100 GC, and I'd be sold.)[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's the dilemma I'm facing too. Picked up the bundle Tuesday for a present, but I know the recipient really wants LBP, and I think they will like MNR even though they haven't heard of it to my knowledge. You just have to figure if the 3 included items are worth $50 to you. I'm thinking of going in there with just my receipt in my pocket and asking them naively if they are giving $100 for PS3's. The person knew about the $50 the other day, happy to tell me about this "unadvertised" deal. Then I'll explain my situation, that I bought one Tuesday, have the receipt and gift card with me, and if I can get it adjusted. I know it's a crap shoot and YMMV, but I'll be out later and this will take me about 5 minutes out of my way on the way home. Will try tonight.

Note - return/rebuy will be even more of a hassle for me anyway, cause I used a $50 reward cert on this, so I think I'd have to wait forever for the points to be put back into my account so I can use them again.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']haha! The tax wouldn't be $50 on $50 worth of games. I wasn't aware of any state that charged 100% sales tax.
Better off with the GC deal.[/QUOTE]

This doesn't make much sense to me. What the guy was saying was, if you bought the plain system + games, it would be 299+tax and then lets say $50 for the games + tax, +100 gc. If you get the bunde, it's 299+tax+50gc. You don't get charged the extra tax on the games seperate, which is like a $5 savings with the bundle, assuming you're getting those games. Plus let's not forget the movie's ~$20 value.

[quote name='mrosnwo']This doesn't make much sense to me. What the guy was saying was, if you bought the plain system + games, it would be 299+tax and then lets say $50 for the games + tax, +100 gc. If you get the bunde, it's 299+tax+50gc. You don't get charged the extra tax on the games seperate, which is like a $5 savings with the bundle, assuming you're getting those games. Plus let's not forget the movie's ~$20 value.[/QUOTE]

Yes I know that. That's exactly what I'm saying. Let me spell it out for you.

BB bundle $326 after tax

PS3+20LBP+25MNR+20Cars = 396 after tax - $100 gift card = $296 total. Still saving $30 by getting the non bundle.

I bought the red Wii last week and got the $20 GC with it. Do I need to take the whole thing back and rebuy or can I just take the receipt and get the $55 difference?

[quote name='redneckokie']I bought the red Wii last week and got the $20 GC with it. Do I need to take the whole thing back and rebuy or can I just take the receipt and get the $55 difference?[/QUOTE]

Any time I price adjusted @ Best Buy, I just needed the receipt. They scan the code on it.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']Yes I know that. That's exactly what I'm saying. Let me spell it out for you.

BB bundle $326 after tax

PS3+20LBP+25MNR+20Cars = 396 after tax - $100 gift card = $296 total. Still saving $30 by getting the non bundle.[/QUOTE]

Because you're forgetting the $50 GC that comes with the bundle.

$326 after tax - $50 gift card = $276 total. So you're saving $20 by getting the bundle.

(Well, other than that you're not actually "saving" on either until you've used the GC to buy something, but that's a minor detail.)

[quote name='Cheapskate']Because you're forgetting the $50 GC that comes with the bundle.

$326 after tax - $50 gift card = $276 total. So you're saving $20 by getting the bundle.

(Well, other than that you're not actually "saving" on either until you've used the GC to buy something, but that's a minor detail.)[/QUOTE]

Oh, I didn't know a $50 gift card was issued with it...yeah then that may be a better deal...if you want LBP (despite 2 coming out) and that awful movie Cars. I love Pixar, but Cars is crap.

I bought the LBP bundle with in-store pickup on 12/1, tried calling 888-BEST-BUY and spent 1/2 an hour on the phone for nothing they couldn't/wouldn't do anything about it.

I called the BB that I picked it up at and they said sure just bring the receipt/order number and they'd take care of it. As it turns out they need the serial number too. When she was putting I through it rang up as a $50 gift card. So the manager confirmed it was $100, so they had to ring it up as is and then add another $50 to the gift card.

Longstory short, I got LBP bundle with the $100 gift card. Thanks OP!!

[quote name='sadboy']Let us know whether you get the credit or not. I imagine it won't be as simple as people getting the deal on bundles at Walmart due to stock issues.[/QUOTE]

Didn't bother trying after reading about the other guy with the same bundle getting shot down. The nearest BB is a 40 min drive for me and I'd rather not waste my time making the drive just to get shot down.

FYI, Target matched this offer. Saw the ad in today's newspaper, in Section A, not with the Sunday ads (I receive Sunday ads on Saturday).

I think they only matched the PS3 offer. $100 GC.

[quote name='proatthis26']I have A question i bought a ps3 online and did store pickup.I forgot to add the 50 dollar gift card to my order how do i go about getting my giftcard.I know i know a true CAG would never F up like that so save it:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Return and rebuy instore with the $100 or $50 gc depending on which model you purchased.

[quote name='hollowfreak']I bought the LBP bundle with in-store pickup on 12/1, tried calling 888-BEST-BUY and spent 1/2 an hour on the phone for nothing they couldn't/wouldn't do anything about it.

I called the BB that I picked it up at and they said sure just bring the receipt/order number and they'd take care of it. As it turns out they need the serial number too. When she was putting I through it rang up as a $50 gift card. So the manager confirmed it was $100, so they had to ring it up as is and then add another $50 to the gift card.

Longstory short, I got LBP bundle with the $100 gift card. Thanks OP!![/QUOTE]

You got lucky I guess... The LBP PS3 bundle is $50 GC, the $100 GC applies to the regular 160gb bare bone PS3 (no games and no BD). I don't think I'm going to be that lucky, but I might give it a try...

Well some peoples math is whack with these gc deals so I'll add my whack math to it.

Bare ps3 = 308.24 + 100 gc after tax
Then you buy lbp, mod racers, cars blu assuming 20,20, 25 prices = $73.25 after tax
Use the 100gc and you have 26.75 left on card which is less than $50.

So bundle+ 50 is better Value than bare + 100.

If you want/don't have the bundle stuff.

[quote name='neocvera']Well some peoples math is whack with these gc deals so I'll add my whack math to it.

Bare ps3 = 308.24 + 100 gc after tax
Then you buy lbp, mod racers, cars blu assuming 20,20, 25 prices = $73.25 after tax
Use the 100gc and you have 26.75 left on card which is less than $50.

So bundle+ 50 is better Value than bare + 100.

If you want/don't have the bundle stuff.[/QUOTE]

That's correct... But the ultimate sweet spot is to the $100 GC on the LBP bunlde :)

Honestly, I'm happy with $300 LBP bundle + $50GC (you get reward points too). Of course, it's easier to score a bare bone 160gb PS3 than the LBP bundle (not many BB stores have the holiday bundle).

I guess my question about the limited ed. wii got mixed up in the ps3 talk but, which is better $169.99 - purchased from BestBuy or $199.98 + $75credit from Amazon? Still trying to decided which to return.

[quote name='Serpentor']You got lucky I guess... The LBP PS3 bundle is $50 GC, the $100 GC applies to the regular 160gb bare bone PS3 (no games and no BD). I don't think I'm going to be that lucky, but I might give it a try...[/QUOTE]

She also said that that was happening to the Wiis as well they were still ringing up with a $50GC and they had to adjust them. She said something else about the computers not being updated because they were rushing around to match someone else's deal. Either way though, yeah I got lucky. I was waiting for awhile before I made the purchase there just weren't many deals for the PS3 but between Demon's Souls, 3D support and Move being able to play FPSs. I decided now was the time to get one ... and then all the deals happened. That's usually how it happens. I know the day after I buy Metro 2033 it'll be $10. Lol.

i bought the lbp bundle online for 299 on 11/25. I just opened the box to check it out but havent used it yet, its for xmas. do you know if i can return it or get them to honor the 50 gift card deal now in store or what. anyone in the same boat.

[quote name='PlayLives']I orig purchased for $169.99. So again, according to the website, they r supposed to PM the difference $169.99-$124.99=$45.
Of course when I call online dept they say they can't PM b/c the deal is for in stores only, but then the stores can't PM b/c I purchased it online. I showed the stores the printout of the policy & everything and was told they can't do it b/c their system wouldn't allow it. I would have to bring in the box (so they could get serial #) but I would have to rebuy for the new deal. However, I don't want the gift card, just the credit for the difference![/QUOTE]

As far as I can understand from their price match page, if you bought it on Black Friday for $169, they won't honor a price match. According to their price match policy webpage, any purchases made from Thanksgiving-to-Saturday sales are not covered by future price drops, offers, or matches.

Or at least that's how interpreted it.

[quote name='chewy001']i bought the lbp bundle online for 299 on 11/25. I just opened the box to check it out but havent used it yet, its for xmas. do you know if i can return it or get them to honor the 50 gift card deal now in store or what. anyone in the same boat.[/QUOTE]

Holiday return policy. Return and rebuy, or just have customer serivce price adjust.

I can't see how they could deny the LBP bundle. On the BB twitter account where it was announced it just said $100 GC with PS3's. No stipulations.

If I were going in on the deal, I'd get a manager and show them the BB twitter account. There are no exclusions listed.

Not really a technicality or anything either- just saying that there is a reasonable argument.

[quote name='egorka']I can't see how they could deny the LBP bundle. On the BB twitter account where it was announced it just said $100 GC with PS3's. No stipulations.

If I were going in on the deal, I'd get a manager and show them the BB twitter account. There are no exclusions listed.

Not really a technicality or anything either- just saying that there is a reasonable argument.[/QUOTE]

in the ideal world that would be great, i did so, i had the twitter printed out, along with OPs link to the NYSE news article, highlighted the pertinent parts, and they still gave me the answer "the computer is showing a 50 dollar gift card with purchase of this" lol.

yeah im on the ball like that, but still, you know how these employees think: "the computer wont let me" and all that.

by the way, i have the LBP bundle. so that may be why, i havent finished reading this entire thread :)

Just back from a very nice trip to Best Buy!! I bought a red Wii this week and got the $20 GC. So I go in today, ask about the $75 GC at the service desk and show the receipt. I had to pay $20 because I had already used the GC, but I got the $75 card.
I had checked online to see which BB near me had any of the LBP bundles(we have 6 BB in Oklahoma City metro) and that's the one I went to. The guy looked for it for a good 30 minutes finally found it. Took it to the check out.......no go, $50 card only.
Got the barebones one $100 GC.
Here's the messed up part of the story, I went to Walmart last night wanting to get the $100 card and they were only giving $50 on PS3 and $20 on the Wii. They told me that the higher amounts were consider 'loss leaders' and Oklahoma has a law against them, which I've heard is true, but how can Best Buy and Target match Walmart's price and WM isn't even honoring their own sale.........

The Fargo, ND Best Buy said it was a scam. They also said they can't match gift cards, which is a lie, because it says so on their own website. Has anyone else had any trouble?

[quote name='chewy001']i bought the lbp bundle online for 299 on 11/25. I just opened the box to check it out but havent used it yet, its for xmas. do you know if i can return it or get them to honor the 50 gift card deal now in store or what. anyone in the same boat.[/QUOTE]

Most likely, it's been under a month. You can try calling the store first to be sure though.

[quote name='redneckokie']Here's the messed up part of the story, I went to Walmart last night wanting to get the $100 card and they were only giving $50 on PS3 and $20 on the Wii. They told me that the higher amounts were consider 'loss leaders' and Oklahoma has a law against them, which I've heard is true, but how can Best Buy and Target match Walmart's price and WM isn't even honoring their own sale.........[/QUOTE]

Same thing here in Wisconsin, Walmart only offered $50 GC for a PS3, might have to check out BB or Target and see what they offer.

I just went to BB here at Northridge CA, and they only have the 50$ for the PS3 and 20$ for the Wii. Is this deal only for certain areas?

[quote name='tuklaw']This is the one that I want to get but when the guy looked it up it only says $50. Even on their own website it says $50, or will it ring up as $100 on the register?[/QUOTE]
I went to the Best Buy in Northridge, CA in the morning and I was able to get the PS3 with $100 gift card. I returned around noon and there were still a large amount of 160 GB PS3s in the store. I don't why it rung up with only $50. I would just try at the register.

[quote name='tuklaw']This is the one that I want to get but when the guy looked it up it only says $50. Even on their own website it says $50, or will it ring up as $100 on the register?[/QUOTE]

There were stacks and stacks of 160gb's at my store too. I brought the print out of the press release, but the register already had the promo in the system.

[quote name='MKScorpion']I went to the Best Buy in Northridge, CA in the morning and I was able to get the PS3 with $100 gift card. I returned around noon and there were still a large amount of 160 GB PS3s in the store. I don't why it rung up with only $50. I would just try at the register.[/QUOTE]

I ended up getting my PS3 from Woodland Hills:lol:. I guess the guy from Northridge has no idea of the deal.

Picked up the red Wii deal w/ $75 gc. Thanks for the heads up on this because I was really bummed that my Wal-Marts had no red Wii's in stock but looks like my BB got a couple cases in.

The employees on the floor had no idea of any giftcard deals on the consoles (only the $50 PS3 promo), but the register has it in the system and the cashier must have known already becuase she grabbed a giftcard as soon as she saw me holding a wii.

[quote name='floodofnoise']Picked up the red Wii deal w/ $75 gc. Thanks for the heads up on this because I was really bummed that my Wal-Marts had no red Wii's in stock but looks like my BB got a couple cases in.

The employees on the floor had no idea of any giftcard deals on the consoles (only the $50 PS3 promo), but the register has it in the system and the cashier must have known already becuase she grabbed a giftcard as soon as she saw me holding a wii.[/QUOTE]

Wow! So this deal also works for the red wii. I wonder if this deal will still work if I purchase a wii online and do a store pickup, since the closest BB that has the red wii is 20 miles away from me. It'll probably be close by the time I get there, have to pick it up tomorrow morning.

So I picked up a red Wii too, also used the $10 reward zone coupon. So it comes to $189+ tax -$75 giftcard, comes to $133, not a bad deal compared to Amazon one at $125 yesterday.
I wonder is it possible to buy as many units as possible, using the $75 credit as well? So basically buy the first one, then use the giftcard on the second one and so on. If this is allowed, you can make quite some money there.

[quote name='cytmike']So I picked up a red Wii too, also used the $10 reward zone coupon. So it comes to $189+ tax -$75 giftcard, comes to $133, not a bad deal compared to Amazon one at $125 yesterday.
I wonder is it possible to buy as many units as possible, using the $75 credit as well? So basically buy the first one, then use the giftcard on the second one and so on. If this is allowed, you can make quite some money there.[/QUOTE]

What $125 Amazon deal? Are you referring to the $75 credit deal or did I miss something?

[quote name='PlayLives']What $125 Amazon deal? Are you referring to the $75 credit deal or did I miss something?[/QUOTE]

Yes because Amazon does not charge sales tax, which is 9.5% for me :bomb:

[quote name='cytmike']Yes because Amazon does not charge sales tax, which is 9.5% for me :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I get charged sales tax on Amazon, 8.875%

[quote name='aznboovie']Question, is the PS3 in a bundle or just the console only?[/QUOTE]

Console only from what I saw.... but they did have ps3 bundled with accessories and games which I think you could get the GC also. BUt best deal seemed to be console only if that is the only thing you were looking for.

I did see a GT and Console package all together which was tempting if you were looking to get GT5 already

The price drop is coming next year, so many gift card deals shows it. Just for reference I would warn you guys about the geek squad black tie protection program for the systems. Don't expect to get an instant replacement for the system 2 years later.

[quote name='Idioteque...']No longer this weekend, it's all week till Christmas. As for wii? Sunday last day.[/QUOTE]

Anyone confirm this? I'd love to upgrade my ps3 but wont be in town this weekend at all.

[quote name='PlayLives']I'm getting really pissed @ Best Buy right now. The stores seem to not honor the PM policy that is written on their website & through verbal confirmation over the phone/sales dept.

Purchased Wii online. The PM policy states that they would PM an item bought online if the store offers same item @ lower rate. Called headquarters to confirm & even the store. Went to store, they say no they can't PM an item bought online b/c their system doesn't allow that. I would have to return the online item and then repurchase for the in store price. Well, that is not really a price match. According to their website this should be the price match...
$199.99 - $75 (value of gift card) = $124.99. I orig purchased for $169.99. So again, according to the website, they r supposed to PM the difference $169.99-$124.99=$45.
Of course when I call online dept they say they can't PM b/c the deal is for in stores only, but then the stores can't PM b/c I purchased it online. I showed the stores the printout of the policy & everything and was told they can't do it b/c their system wouldn't allow it. I would have to bring in the box (so they could get serial #) but I would have to rebuy for the new deal. However, I don't want the gift card, just the credit for the difference!

Ughh...this has been so frustrating.[/QUOTE]

I had the same frustrations this morning, as I bought the red Wii on Thanksgiving online when it was $169.99. I had to do a return/rebuy, so all of my Reward Zone Certificates are being returned to me. I asked the manager why they just couldn't give me a $45 gift card to make things much easier, and she basically said that Best Buy's computer system sucks (I guess that's one problem the Geek Squad can't fix) and they had to do a return/rebuy with my system. I'm glad you posted to bring in the Wii, as I had it in my car just in case.

Thanks OP. gonna upgrade my 40gig today.
Best buy's website says its in stock.
$100 gift card, and a trade in of the old system at gamestop ($80 credit + $25 bonus for a system trade in) after a data transfer and I come out alright.
I already filled that 40 gig once, and a 40 gig is the major reason i haven't done PSN+.

How difficult is the data transfer? I plan on doing the network cable method. I found the directions on sony's website, but the section about losing littlebigplanet data has me slightly concerned. I guess i could backup some data to an SD card to be safe.
any thing I should know aside from what the sony site says, or any pro-tips from someone who has done the transfer?

[quote name='Megatim81']How difficult is the data transfer? I plan on doing the network cable method. I found the directions on sony's website, but the section about losing littlebigplanet data has me slightly concerned. I guess i could backup some data to an SD card to be safe.
any thing I should know aside from what the sony site says, or any pro-tips from someone who has done the transfer?[/QUOTE]
I just did the data transfer yesterday using the Sony website instructions and it was smooth as silk. I hadn't used the new data transfer utility previously (but I had done the external hard drive method, which was a PITA).

I did not have LBP data to transfer though so I can't speak to that portion of the process.

[quote name='z3razerviper']ok i am not seeing this deal at all I cant find it on BB.com or the twitter page.[/QUOTE]

I guess it doesn't exist then. Lol.

http://twitter.com/BESTBUY

It's right there at the top ...

BestBuy RT @BBYNews: Hot gaming offers this weekend only @ BBY! $100 GC w/purchase of Sony PS3, $75 GC with Wii purchase http://bit.... via @youtim

bread's done
Back