Buy Xbox Live arcade games from Amazon.com

WEIRD. But could be very cool... thanks for the heads up, OP! Prolly wouldn't have noticed this for months

Last edited by a moderator:
i like the idea, but it's a shame the games are not cheaper on amazon, and if amazon does not cut some of the prices i just don't see the point of paying 10 bucks for a game i can pay 10 bucks for on XBL

[quote name='clatu6']Interesting... Looks like another way MS is trying to market Xbox Live for those many many people who have yet to get online.[/quote]

I may be overlooking something here, but don't you still have to go online with your 360 to download the XBLA games?

[quote name='rapsodist']I may be overlooking something here, but don't you still have to go online with your 360 to download the XBLA games?[/QUOTE]

You do but maybe this will make some people realize that they are able to go online with their systems and buy downloadable content.

I love this, especially in light of the upcoming 560 point Fable 2 conent.

[quote name='ufskenney']This is great, but I will probably just stick to points in most cases. I pretty much never pay full price for points and therefore don't pay full price from any XBLA or DLC. Amazon may gold box or discount these, but I wouldn't hold my breath.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly about the cheap points, however sometimes I don't have a way of getting them and this is better than buying a card at full price. I don't think these will ever go on sale since Amazon probably doesn't have tons of these codes and just generates them as they are ordered.

[quote name='bridgecat']So now we know what that ThankYou.com deal was about. If only they'd honor our orders now.[/quote]

This is what I expected based on what they told me when I called about my canceled order (though from the way they made it sound, I didn't expect it to happen so soon). I've already emailed them asking them to honor my order.

[quote name='charlescheese']Why not just do away with space bucks altogether. I mean Amazon is taking a cut here, so doesn't it just make more sense to charge real dollars and get more business, because I'd buy it all direct from Microsoft if I could pay with real money, but now I'm going to use Amazon for all of my purchases.[/QUOTE]No way man! The point system may be cumbersome, but it allows more ways for us CAGs to cheat the system. Promotional freebie point codes are given out all the time, and sometimes the point cards themselves will go on sale. We'd miss out on this stuff if they used real dollars... it's not like Target is gonna have a sale on money.

If they offer sales (outside of the weekly XBL sales MS runs on the dashboard), this has the potential to be pretty awesome.

I don't have problems buying points since I only buy them on sale so I get more for my dollar, but it's nice to have the option at least.

And to agree with Busta, I'd be really disappointed if they switched over to actual $ rather than points. Getting points cards for free or even at 5 bucks off makes a huge difference if you buy any significant amount of content.

[quote name='fatez']this is great. hopefully psn will follow.[/QUOTE]

The difference is that PSN is already a monetary system where you can buy a game at its cost rather than having to buy an alloted amount of points.

Glad to see Amazon doing this (although I'm kicking myself for missing the 20 cent points this morning).

Am I the only one that has a feeling that MS will restrict Amazon from making any of the games cheaper? Considering someone brought up the fact that they would think Amazon would have a big sale to kick it off and didnt kinda foreshadows that. I could be wrong and just being pessimistic. Anyway, it helps when you want to buy a game without tax and dont want to buy/spend points. On the plus side, I hope the actual showing of the price instead of points scares them into not inflating prices too much (although this IS MS).

This is super sweet news and why didn't they think of it sooner lol. Yea its time to buy some used games and trade em in for XBLA games. Nah I have a lot of arcade games already but that is an option.

I'm pretty sure Amazon has had some pretty good discounts on Live Points, so I don't see how discounting the games themselves would be any different.

Saw this earlier today. Glad they are offering the ability to purchase codes right online. Even better if Amazon gets to run their own promotions and discount the prices. No more "Deals of the Week" on 2 year old DLC that nobody purchased in the first place (i.e. Battlestations Iowa mission pack). :lol:

Would also make great filler for free shipping but it looks like these will be all digital.

Outstanding. I'm probably going to purchase most of my games through Amazon not only because I hate having left over points, but because it helps out CAG.

I also love the fact that I can send friends XBLA games as gifts.

It's interesting that Amazon offers Lost Cities, but the game can't even be purchased on XBL Marketplace any longer, since it doesn't exist. I wonder, then, if the code you're purchasing from Amazon for Lost Cities even works!

[quote name='Mysterio']It's interesting that Amazon offers Lost Cities, but the game can't even be purchased on XBL Marketplace any longer, since it doesn't exist. I wonder, then, if the code you're purchasing from Amazon for Lost Cities even works![/quote]

Buy it and report back to us! :lol:

Too bad they don't have every available title, as I wanted to get The Dishwasher game. Heh, I guess I'll buy a points code when I get a chance. I needed some DLC as it is.

[quote name='arcane93']Buy it and report back to us! :lol:[/quote]

Doh! I was hoping someone else would play the roll of the guinea pig. :cool:

[quote name='tankass']Am I the only one that has a feeling that MS will restrict Amazon from making any of the games cheaper? Considering someone brought up the fact that they would think Amazon would have a big sale to kick it off and didnt kinda foreshadows that. I could be wrong and just being pessimistic. Anyway, it helps when you want to buy a game without tax and dont want to buy/spend points. On the plus side, I hope the actual showing of the price instead of points scares them into not inflating prices too much (although this IS MS).[/quote]

I hope you're wrong but it definitely is possible. It's funny to even see the items priced evenly at $15 to match the XBL point system EXACTLY and not the typical $14.99. I would've expected a sale (like a flat 10% off everything) to kick things off.

Looks like a good development, but I only ever buy MS points when there's a sale so I won't use this unless Amazon has sales.

I've said it since the 360 released, "MS is just hurting themselves by making consumers be stingy when buying point at 1600 a pop". MS points should atleast be buyable in 200 point increments. Customer could buy gamerpic, themes, & 400 point games more easily but instead most of us try to save every point we can being afraid they wouldn't have an exact amount for future DLC.

The other thing that pisses me off is when players win Xbox LIVE download contests is that they award weird amounts of points(EX: 400 & 1000 point codes) that the consumers can't buy in stores. We buy 1600 points at a time so why not award 1600 points in contests?

Anyway, I like this idea. It looks like it will be a hit.

[quote name='Mysterio']It's interesting that Amazon offers Lost Cities, but the game can't even be purchased on XBL Marketplace any longer, since it doesn't exist. I wonder, then, if the code you're purchasing from Amazon for Lost Cities even works![/QUOTE]

Yeah that is odd. It's still on the live servers for people who bought it before (I have it), but wonder why it was taken off the main store

[quote name='JJSP']The ability to "gift" XBLA games is an awesome, awesome thing.[/QUOTE]Yeah, this is my favorite part of this. I've still got a bunch of unused 1600 point cards lying around from a previous sale, so I'll still just use them until they run out for my own purchases, but the gift option is great.

very nice indeed.. makes gifting now possible and somewhat similar to the wii except you still have to manually email the code to whoever.
On another note I would love if they start this with amazon-japan. But I'm sure the market over there will be much smaller.

[quote name='Jintty']cool deal. Anyone know if Bombeman Live still has an active online community?[/quote]

I never had trouble finding a game to play online, at any time of the day. I just checked now and there are a handful of games available to join. Most people play player matches instead of ranked.

I wonder if Amazon will have deals on these...ever. I definitely think that this is a step in the right direction for digital distribution, though. Allowing online retailers to "sell" goods for the marketplace.

[quote name='Guerrilla']Waiting for the Lost Cities report...[/quote]

Save your money, it doesn't work. I was bummed when I found the game had been removed from the Marketplace, so I thought this might be my second chance, but no go. Attempting to redeem it only results in an error message that there "is a problem with the offer associated with this code."

I've e-mailed Amazon requesting a refund, but I'm not hopeful. Oh well. 'Sonly $10, I guess.

I've been waiting for something like this. MS rarely drops the price on XBLA games and hopefully we will start to see some discounts through Amazon in the near future. If MS had been adding more games to their XBLA Hits collection where they drop the price on older arcade games I would have been buying a lot more. I used to buy a lot of arcade games but realized MS is jipping us on the prices of many of these games.

Hopefully they add in the newer releases at about the time as they hit XBLA. Anyway if, this is pretty cool. I'll turn to this for any XBLA game I gotta have.

Its a neat idea but I don't see myself using this. In the time I've owned a 360 I've learned how to plan card purchases around arcade games and DLC. For example: Last week I bought Ten (Album) and Don't Stop Believin' for Rock Band together since their combined cost is 1600 points. Likewise, I'm waiting for Broken Steel to release so I can get that with the Halo 3 Mythic map pack.

I also keep XBLA demos of games I like on my HDD in case I have enough left over to pick one up.

Still, it is a nice system and I hope it is successful for all parties involved. I also hope they add a similar setup for Wii Virtual Console. I haven't purchased any VC games in ages because I can't find enough games I want that would result in a zero balance of points. Its those damn SNES and TG-16 games that cause the imbalance.

bread's done
Back