Buy Xbox Live arcade games from Amazon.com

Man, I didn't realize Microsoft delisted Lost Cities. I was sure it'd be one they would have clearanced at some point.

And I *JUST* deleted the demo for it on Tuesday.

Im just curious, but why are so many people interested in gifting these games? Is it that everyone is just that genrous? or something more sinister. Or maybe everyone is generous except for my a**hole friends. I dunno, just figured id ask.

Some of the games on amazon are overpriced, so double check before you buy anything. Amazon has the original price points, so any game that has received a price drop (like Worms) will be double the price on amazon!

[quote name='Ninja Knife']Save your money, it doesn't work. I was bummed when I found the game had been removed from the Marketplace, so I thought this might be my second chance, but no go. Attempting to redeem it only results in an error message that there "is a problem with the offer associated with this code."

I've e-mailed Amazon requesting a refund, but I'm not hopeful. Oh well. 'Sonly $10, I guess.[/quote]

If they screw you over, do a charge-back (if you used your credit-card).

Does anyone know if buying one of these will go towards your $25 FSS purchase? I want Mirror's Edge for $20 and then a $5 game would mean FS.

[quote name='CaptDS9E']Yeah that is odd. It's still on the live servers for people who bought it before (I have it), but wonder why it was taken off the main store[/quote]

If you have the demo on your hard drive, can you unlock the game?

I think the developer should port to PC (if it's not already available there). MS is so stupid, does it really cost them that much to host a 40MB game?

[quote name='playing mantis']If you have the demo on your hard drive, can you unlock the game?[/quote]

Nope. Trying to unlock the game generates an XBL error.

[quote name='Mysterio']Nope. Trying to unlock the game generates an XBL error.[/QUOTE]

Assuming you're responding that this error occurs even when the trial version is downloaded, this makes me feel a little better about deleting it (when I had an intention later of getting it with a drop).

Also, since the game is ready made why doesn't Xbox just drop the prices on the games not selling? Wouldn't that be the ideal thing? Try and sell the ones that devs made but didn't sell?

[quote name='rdogg1026']Does anyone know if buying one of these will go towards your $25 FSS purchase? I want Mirror's Edge for $20 and then a $5 game would mean FS.[/quote]
Seeing as there is no shipping involved I'd say no.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']Assuming you're responding that this error occurs even when the trial version is downloaded, this makes me feel a little better about deleting it (when I had an intention later of getting it with a drop).

Also, since the game is ready made why doesn't Xbox just drop the prices on the games not selling? Wouldn't that be the ideal thing? Try and sell the ones that devs made but didn't sell?[/quote]

Recently, you were able to download the trial version via the XBLA awards app. That's how I got the trial version after noticing it had been pulled from the Marketplace. When I tried to purchase it, though, I kept getting the error. I haven't been able to determine why it was pulled. No one from MS is talking.

I used the service earlier today to buy a 1600 point code and I'm a fan. Although I'm paying retail on these, which I rarely do, its convenient.

I love that Amazon has done this. No more buying stupid MS points to download games. The big drawback however is that I don't see DLC add ons at Amazon, only 360 arcade games.

[quote name='gmagnus']So they nominated a game and brought it into the spotlight and when don't even sell it anymore.[/quote]

Exactly. Makes sense, huh? :roll:

[quote name='Ninja Knife']Save your money, it doesn't work. I was bummed when I found the game had been removed from the Marketplace, so I thought this might be my second chance, but no go. Attempting to redeem it only results in an error message that there "is a problem with the offer associated with this code."

I've e-mailed Amazon requesting a refund, but I'm not hopeful. Oh well. 'Sonly $10, I guess.[/quote]
Unfortunately I had already bought it. Came here to report it, and saw what you said. Thanks for the warning though.

There is good news! Amazon removed Lost Cities from their store and sent me an email stating I'm getting a full refund.

Still, I'd like to know why Lost Cities was removed to begin with, especially if it was up for an award... c'mon Microsoft!

Found a sale on Galaga Legions at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Galaga-Legion..._1_2?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1239435745&sr=8-2

$4.97 when it's normally $10 (800 points).

Personally, I would probably go with the disc-based Namco Museum Virtual Arcade (on sale for a limited time at Gamestop for $14.99), as it comes with the same title, plus 8 other Live Arcade (9 games x 200 acheivement points each = 1800 total) and over 20 other classic arcade games.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=72549

Of course, if I'm not mistaken, you need to keep the disc in the drive for the Namco Museum compilation, and one of the appealing aspects of XBLA is that you can start games without changing discs

The good thing about the disc compilations of XBLA games is that you can bring them to someone's house, let someone else borrow them, or sell/trade the disc if you get bored of the games. The best part, though, is probably that you'll always be able to own the games if you want. There will be a day down the road, after the 360's lifespan is over, that MS will pull all the games down off the servers, and you won't be able to redownload them if you need to.

[quote name='Showstoppa42']Found a sale on Galaga Legions at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Galaga-Legion..._1_2?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1239435745&sr=8-2

$4.97 when it's normally $10 (800 points).

Personally, I would probably go with the disc-based Namco Museum Virtual Arcade (on sale for a limited time at Gamestop for $14.99), as it comes with the same title, plus 8 other Live Arcade (9 games x 200 acheivement points each = 1800 total) and over 20 other classic arcade games.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=72549[/quote]

Thanks and good find, I'll be getting the disc as soon as I can.

Showstoppa42 thanks! I was hoping Amazon would discount their XBLA games occasionally. Galaga Legions always seemed a bit too expensive for what it is.

I like having a huge library of games on my hard drive, but that Namco collection is a good value too.

[quote name='SAB-CA']The best thing about this is that it allows you to buy the oddly-priced items (Like things that cost 15.00) without having to "overbuy" points. Also, you can gift XBLA games through this method.

Now if Amazon would Gold Box these things, or put things on sale that where still full priced on Live... This could be a great way to get more deals right alongside the XBL "Deal of the Week" program.[/quote]

yeah, I totally agree.. very excited about this being exact currency:cool:

[quote name='MrNEWZ']Man, I didn't realize Microsoft delisted Lost Cities. I was sure it'd be one they would have clearanced at some point.

And I *JUST* deleted the demo for it on Tuesday.[/quote]

I remember during the whole "de-listing" fiasco the recommendation that MS was putting out there was to download things off of your download history instead of marketplace. They said as long as it was still on the servers, but not listed on XBLA Marketplace you should still be able to download anything off of your download history including demos. Try that. I think this is really the only case for the auto download of demos; you should be able to download anything even if it gets delisted and you've deleted it locally.

[quote name='worrybomb']While Amazon doesn't state it as a "sale", you can purchase the Online Game Code for the XBLA title "Undertow" for $5.00. The regular price for Undertow in the Live Marketplace is 800 MS Points.

Undertow - $5.00[/quote]

I also recommend this, though it was better when it was free for the Live downtime sometime ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Showstoppa42']Found a sale on Galaga Legions at Amazon:

$4.97 when it's normally $10 (800 points).[/quote]

Thanks for the heads-up. For me, $10 was too much for this game, but I'm sold at $4.97.

[quote name='xrayzwei']I remember during the whole "de-listing" fiasco the recommendation that MS was putting out there was to download things off of your download history instead of marketplace. They said as long as it was still on the servers, but not listed on XBLA Marketplace you should still be able to download anything off of your download history including demos. Try that. I think this is really the only case for the auto download of demos; you should be able to download anything even if it gets delisted and you've deleted it locally.[/quote]

If I remember correctly, MS entertained de-listing prior to the release of NXE. With NXE's release, though, MS said de-listing is no longer needed, so no XBLA titles have been de-listed. Lost Cities isn't listed for a different reason, a reason that MS is reluctant to share with us. It's been speculated that it has something to do with Sierra Online's demise.

This is so great. Makes me bummed that i still have 22000 ms points. Oh still will have the ms deal of the week and dlc to spend it on.

Used it for the first time last night to get TMNT 1989 for a friend so he could play it with me.

[quote name='sleepydumbdude']Makes me bummed that i still have 22000 ms points.[/QUOTE]
Yeah that's gotta suck.

for those of you lookjg to get rid of lame little extra points, Gun has some 20pt gamerpics. I'm finally at zero again after having just 20pts to spend for a long time.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']This is really good for me, because I can get the triple points on my Amazon Visa Card. If they started carrying DLC, wow, that would be awesome.[/quote]
Oh yeah, I almost didn't think about that. With the low price of these games, I'll get my second Amazon GC in no time.:bouncy:

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']How how are these codes sent out? Via email?[/quote]

When you place your order, it'll pop-up a window with the code to enter. Nice and easy.

[quote name='mSoul01']When you place your order, it'll pop-up a window with the code to enter. Nice and easy.[/quote]
Wow, thats epic win. Time to buy some games! :D

Yea it was nice to have the code right away while I checked my email 30 minutes later and I had an email from Amazon with the code as well. I'm glad the code worked lol.

bread's done
Back