Buying a Wii U, need help!

BrolyB593

CAGiversary!
Feedback
206 (100%)
So I have been holding out on buying one and have been hunting for deals on them but none have been good enough.

Now with MK8 and the free game, I feel like I am going to cave but I am not sure which bundle to buy.

Both the New Super Mario Bros & Luigi bundle and the Zelda bundle are $300 at GS.

I figured the Zelda bundle was a no brainer since it had the awesome collectors controller. Looking at prices though I did not realize that Mario AND Luigi cost more overall. So from a financial standpoint, the Super Mario bundle would be best. Plus if I could score one of those for like $250 or so as they have been it would be even better right?

I just want opinions please on what I should do or if I am overlooking something!

Thanks in advance : )

I think it depends on what game(s) you want to play most or first. That's even assuming you want them all eventually.

1) Mario Bros U and Luigi U

2) Zelda

3) Mario Kart 8 + one of the 4 to download

I plan on getting all the main titles so it really doesn't matter in that regard.

There is no way I am buying the MK8 Console bundle, that is a rip off in my mind.

I am going to get MK8 at BB with GCU +$10 gas. My free game will likely be Pikmin.

I am leaning towards the Mario Bros U bundle as it is the best value though.

I REALLY WANT the Zelda bundle though...

Form a financial standpoint, the Zelda bundle comes with just the game and custom controller correct? Then the Mario one comes with both the Mario and Luigi game and just the standard black correct?

For those that have it, is the Zelda controller that cool? Haha is it worth it to spend more in the long run to have it? I don't think so but my favorite Wiimote is my Collectors Golden Zelda one...

I plan on getting all the main titles so it really doesn't matter in that regard.

There is no way I am buying the MK8 Console bundle, that is a rip off in my mind.

I am going to get MK8 at BB with GCU +$10 gas. My free game will likely be Pikmin.

I am leaning towards the Mario Bros U bundle as it is the best value though.

I REALLY WANT the Zelda bundle though...

Form a financial standpoint, the Zelda bundle comes with just the game and custom controller correct? Then the Mario one comes with both the Mario and Luigi game and just the standard black correct?

For those that have it, is the Zelda controller that cool? Haha is it worth it to spend more in the long run to have it? I don't think so but my favorite Wiimote is my Collectors Golden Zelda one...
Zelda bundle also comes with download code for the Hyrule Historia book. Also to note is Wind Waker HD is also a download code, not a disk like Mario/Luigi U.

Any game you download on a black (deluxe) Wii U, even if it's a download code, counts as the full MSRP towards the spend $50, get $5 back promotion.

For example, buy Zelda Wii U, redeem Wind Waker HD for 499 points, next EShop purchase triggers a $5 reward code.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zelda bundle also comes with download code for the Hyrule Historia book. Also to note is Wind Waker HD is also a download code, not a disk like Mario/Luigi U.

Any game you download on a black (deluxe) Wii U, even if it's a download code, counts as the full MSRP towards the spend $50, get $5 back promotion.

For example, buy Zelda Wii U, redeem Wind Waker HD for 499 points, next EShop purchase triggers a $5 reward code.
I had no idea about that $5 reward program, that is pretty awesome. Much better than XBLA's reward system especially now.

I wonder how that will work with the MK8 free game DL code, those should in theory trigger the $5 as well correct?

I already own the physical Hyrule Historia so while that is cool, I really have no use for it.

I also didn't know that the Mario bundle came with the discs, I assumed it too was a DL. Going completely digital is very enticing though, especially since I am used to my hacked wii with just everything being a click away. I have been going digital on X1 as well.

Hmmmmm

That is all quite a bit of food for thought, thank you!

I personally would buy the console from best buy instead of gamestop, you can get those rewards points and have more money for more games!  :D

I personally would buy the console from best buy instead of gamestop, you can get those rewards points and have more money for more games! :D
Best buy doesnt have the Zelda bundle readily available like Gamestop does, that was the only reason I said GS. I will definitely go BB if I can.

Im in a similar situation I cant decide if I should go with nsmbu bundle or the mario kart bundle but im leaning towards nsmbu bundle, I wonder if it will be 250 at ebay again in the next couple weeks

The mario kart bundle is nice but if you do the math it would be like paying 220 for the console, and if I could get nsmbu bundle at 250 it would be like paying 160 for the console

Im in a similar situation I cant decide if I should go with nsmbu bundle or the mario kart bundle but im leaning towards nsmbu bundle, I wonder if it will be 250 at ebay again in the next couple weeks

The mario kart bundle is nice but if you do the math it would be like paying 220 for the console, and if I could get nsmbu bundle at 250 it would be like paying 160 for the console
I do not see the value AT ALL in the Mario Kart bundle.

It is $30 more and you get a plastic wheel that you could find anywhere for pennies?

I do not see the value AT ALL in the Mario Kart bundle.

It is $30 more and you get a plastic wheel that you could find anywhere for pennies?
Yeah and I already have a white one that came with the wii one and I dont even use it, I just need to wait to see if that 250 bundle comes back

Yeah and I already have a white one that came with the wii one and I dont even use it, I just need to wait to see if that 250 bundle comes back
I passed on that bundle thinking I would be able to find it cheaper. Ironic now that I am waiting for that price to come back haha

Otherwise I do have like $210 in BB credit from flips earlier in the year but I was hoping to use that throughout the next few months and not just in one fell swoop.

I passed on that bundle thinking I would be able to find it cheaper. Ironic now that I am waiting for that price to come back haha

Otherwise I do have like $210 in BB credit from flips earlier in the year but I was hoping to use that throughout the next few months and not just in one fell swoop.
I have a 80 dollar gc for best buy, I didn't buy the 250 bundle because I thought the mario kart bundle would be good

Best buy doesnt have the Zelda bundle readily available like Gamestop does, that was the only reason I said GS. I will definitely go BB if I can.
I wouldn't get the Zelda one just because it's digital and I prefer to have my collection in a physical form

Ps.

Or you guys could get your wii u for free like I did. I got mine as a baby shower present, score! :D

Their reasoning? After baby no one would buy me anything anymore

yep. same boat here. if I can get the Zelda one for $250 o/b before Mario kart, I will. if not Ill prob get the Mario kart bundle just for the wii-mote. was even thinking of going for a refurbished one from the nintendo store ($200) but now their store is offline till may 9... that Zelda game pad though

Or you guys could get your wii u for free like I did. I got mine as a baby shower present, score! :D

Their reasoning? After baby no one would buy me anything anymore
You have some very cool, like minded friends there, though I doubt that would work for me and my wife (at least it didn't the first two times).

To me it seems like the best deal (if you wanted to get it sooner than later) would be the Mario Bros Wii U Bundle Buy.com sale that seems to happen every month on eBay, $250 with free shipping (and I don't think any tax, which is very important to consider when buying).

Also on eBay you can get eBay bucks, so that $250 purchase will net you around $7.50 in eBay bucks (assuming you use the Bill Me Later option).

This is all assuming they bring it back again, but something to look out either way.

You have some very cool, like minded friends there, though I doubt that would work for me and my wife (at least it didn't the first two times).

To me it seems like the best deal (if you wanted to get it sooner than later) would be the Mario Bros Wii U Bundle Buy.com sale that seems to happen every month on eBay, $250 with free shipping (and I don't think any tax, which is very important to consider when buying).

Also on eBay you can get eBay bucks, so that $250 purchase will net you around $7.50 in eBay bucks (assuming you use the Bill Me Later option).

This is all assuming they bring it back again, but something to look out either way.
It was my moms boyfriend (I like to call him my dad) who bought it for me, said mommy couldn't spend her money on games no more (I still do just not as bad)

Tell your wife to put it on the registry next time, tell her the baby needs it for the developmental stuff ;) (don't know if that would work as mine wasn't on a registry but you could try )

bread's done
Back