Buying an HDTV 40"+ under $1200?

destro4eva

Banned
Looking to finally hop into the HDTV market 40" or larger, looking to drop $1200 or so on a new one. Will be used for Films and PS3 and old school games, Wii too.

Here are a couple I've looked at:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0014175NE/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3478788&CatId=3649

Any reason WHY there is a $400 price difference b/t the two?

Any others out there I should be looking at, I don't have TOO much sun coming into my room so glare isn't an issue.

Any suggestions you all have would be great.

Thanks!

that $400 buys you the best LCD brand on the market right now. i wouldn't even consider anything besides sammy for LCD. if it's plasma you're after, go with panasonic. i have the samsung LN-T4069F and it's amazing. the new 6 series you're looking at is even better. Read Gizmodo's review of the line, if you haven't already. if you have Fry's their the B&M place to cruise for the best prices as well...

[quote name='destro4eva']Thanks Von,

What about this one?

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=395248

Again, kind of new to the HDTV market so any help on this would be appreciated.[/quote]

UPDATE: Just checked Fry's Ad and my tv (Samsung LN-T4069FX) is only $1373 right now! That's a steal for this caliber tv, check it out...

destro, i can't vouch for philips, but one of the best things to do is search avsforum.com for info on tv's you're interested in and to learn about HD in general. Alot of people will say 1080p is useless on anything smaller than 50", so a 720p is just as good, but you probably won't get all the other features that the 1080p tv's can bring (120hz, high contrast ratios, etc). amazon is great too for reviews, i usually find it pretty accurate for consumer's impressions, avsforum.com is more videophile precise though.

honestly, i did my research for a few months before buying my tv and it all depends on what you're looking for. some guys want value, some cinema room tv's, some want pc monitors, some want the best picture available, some want plasma, others want lcd, some need a matte screen, some want a mix of some of these. you have to decide what guy you are and then pick tv's for your purpose.

in my opinion you should buy a tv as an investment for yourself and go as big (diagonally and technologically) as possible when buying one. it's better to spend a few extra hundred bucks to get a tv that will keep looking great (not get outdated) for a few years, than settling for one that doesn't really do much well. if you're going to spend $1000+ on a tv, you might as well make it count and spend a little extra if you have to to get the tv you want. plasmas will give you more bang for the buck and can still claim deepest blacks, panasonic can at least. samsung's lcd's are the only ones to compete with plasma's picture quality, they're always pitted against each other, FYI.

I always tell people to check Microcenter.

I forgot if mine is 44..or 46..anyways.
I got it for around 600$ It's made by Winbook, something like that.

I love the Best Buy deal from last year. Swiped a 42" LG LCD 720p with 3 year warranty for $570. If it breaks 4 times, I get $999 store credit.

I recently got a Panasonic TH-42PX80U for 930. Check sears, they have a good price apparently. Plasma of course.

720p and a picture to die for from pretty much the best entry level set on the market right now.

The Samsung is definitely your best bet, the 120hz refresh rate is perfect for gaming and watching sports. Also, part of that extra $400 is because of the higher refresh rate. Helps get rid of motion blur and all of that. Supposedly "most" plasma's already have a 120hz refresh rate but aren't really advertised. I'm a big LCD fan so I'll always say go LCD since I'm biased like that lol. The new plasmas have definitely gotten rid of their old flaws though, of the occassional lag in video and audio (due to slow response time) and screen burn in, etc. But since it would appear that you want a LCD its a mute point lol.

I'm in the market myself for the same size tv in the same price range so it really depends on what you're really looking at for its main use. For movies, plasma's usually work out best because of the deeper and more true blacks. For games though, LCD's work out better because of the quicker response time. Samsung is attempting to merge the two together and have more or less successfully done so with their LED backlit line that has a 500,000:1 contrast ratio.

As I said, I'm personally going to be getting myself the Samsung, not the model you listed but a similar one, and wait to see how the OLED development unfolds. Samsung is claiming resonable priced "large" (40"+) OLED's by 2010. Sony is also planning on it now to keep pace with Samsung. If it turns out they are ungodly priced, which they probably will be, then I'll just have to "settle" with a Samsung LNT-5281F since the price drop should be substantial by then.

I've heard choose LCD over Plasma for gaming, so do some research into that before choosing.

As for finding an over 40" HDTV for under $1200, that's pretty easy now, I got a 42" 1080p Olevia HDTV for $829 no less than 2 weeks ago on sale at Target. It's back to $999 now, but still an awesome TV.

http://www.target.com/Olevia-1080p-...e=UTF8&node=146177011&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

p1010259hk5.jpg

~HotShotX

I've gamed on my Plasma TV and my LCD PC monitor and I prefer the Plasma. The colors are richer, more vibrant. There is no ghosting with Plasma either, although most LCDs have minimal ghosting.

Also, Plasma TVs use more energy and get hot whereas LCDs don't.

Defintely do some research like HotShotX said though.

Check the post office. The change of address pack we got had a 10% any item at Best Buy and a 12% off Panasonic TVs. The 42" Toshiba 1080p LCD is $1080 after coupon if you want to go that route. Much better than having someone drop a TV off at your front door while you're at work. And you don't have to actually move to use the coupon. It just says once per household.

[quote name='MrRedrum']The Samsung is definitely your best bet, the 120hz refresh rate is perfect for gaming and watching sports. Also, part of that extra $400 is because of the higher refresh rate. Helps get rid of motion blur and all of that. Supposedly "most" plasma's already have a 120hz refresh rate but aren't really advertised. I'm a big LCD fan so I'll always say go LCD since I'm biased like that lol. The new plasmas have definitely gotten rid of their old flaws though, of the occassional lag in video and audio (due to slow response time) and screen burn in, etc. But since it would appear that you want a LCD its a mute point lol.

I'm in the market myself for the same size tv in the same price range so it really depends on what you're really looking at for its main use. For movies, plasma's usually work out best because of the deeper and more true blacks. For games though, LCD's work out better because of the quicker response time. Samsung is attempting to merge the two together and have more or less successfully done so with their LED backlit line that has a 500,000:1 contrast ratio.
[/quote]

Not to burst you bubble, but Plasmas have always had better response times and still do.

Plasmas are very similar to CRT's (both use phosphors to get the image), which still arguably have the best black levels and response times.

Here is an image that can help illistrate this ... remember Plasmas and CRT's are virtually the same with plasmas being a bit slower.

islandall2ws3.jpg

Yes the 120 Hz models have improved LCD's; but remember you are going to have to pay a premium for it.

In addition you also have to remember black levels. Even compared to an entry level plasma set, Top of the line LCD's still have trouble beating the blacks of a plasma. Yes LCD's do better whites but black is arguably more important as it is the canvas.

comparativeblacks3tvszo2.jpg

** not this picture is top units as Pioneer is pretty much the Gucci of Plasmas**

In terms of price, you have to pay twice as much for an LCD that wouldn't beat a entry level plasma by much in picture quality. If you want a larger size TV (40" or more) Plasmas are going to be significately less expensive. A 37" LCD cost as much as a 42" plasma and doesn't even come close to picture quality that you get in a plasma unit.

Lets also consider viewing angle ... on a plasma its pretty much 180 degrees ... you can go from side to side with no ghost and picture quality loss. On a LCD you pretty much have to be in front of the thing.

In the interest of being fair and balanced.

Plasmas are not without their downsides. If you have a very highly lit room, you are going to want an LCD. In a dark room however, Plasmas will blow LCD's out of the water no question.

While burn-in is pretty much a non-issue, Image retention, or temporary ghosting is. You will want to avoid 3 to 5 hour gaming marathons in the first 100 to 200 hours of use. But remember, IR is temporary and usually goes away within a few seconds to a few mins at the most when putting a nonstatic image through the set.

Plasmas also use A LOT more energy than LCD's. I have friends that have seen their electric bills go down significantly after going to LCD and putting the old Plasma in the bedroom.

Most of the lies you hear about plasmas are usually perpretrated by LCD manufactures who feed bad information to sales people. compare them yourself and you will be sold ... on plasma that is :).

+1 to the 42" 720p panasonic plasmas. They have an anti-glare coating on the screen that kills off the reflections that people complain about with plasmas in bright rooms. Also, I know it sucks to think that the TV doesn't have the absolute highest specs on the market, but what was mentioned earlier is true: sitting 8-10 feet away, the difference between 1080p and 720p on anything less than 50" isn't noticable.

I got my 42" panny, used almost exclusively for gaming, at costco last year for $1200. I'm sure they're a good deal cheaper now. It is, without a doubt, the prettiest, richest image I've seen on a TV. When I wander through stores, I find myself scoffing at the high end LCDs. To my eye, the image is just nowhere near as vibrant as on my panny at home.

Putting in another plug for the Panasonic TH-42PX80U, the 42" plasma. Just got mine in today from Warehouse Deals, and it's freaking awesome. Great black levels and a host of inputs. Only thing to keep in mind is that it doesn't have a VGA in, so it may not be the best TV if you plan on using it as a computer monitor.

Other than that, burn in hasn't been a problem with plasmas for a couple of years. As long as you don't leave your tv on a fixed picture for 3 days or so, you'll be fine.

Finally, I highly recommend saving up the couple hundred dollars for the difference between no-name and established brands. I initially bought an Insignia 42" LCD (Best Buy's house brand) and it crapped out on me in 2 weeks. I was able to return it since it was within 30 days, but I have heard horror stories about enacting a warranty through BB. Your established brands, on the other hand, have solid on-site warranties.

bread's done
Back