Buying PS3 Tomorrow, Have Some Q's

SEH

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
So yeah, I'm going to Toys 'R Us tomorrow to trade in some games and buy myself one of the new PS3 slims. I had an original one back when it came out, but there was really not much to play so I sold it.

Anyways, since then, I've been out of the loop as far as what exclusive games are really great and would be worth my money. I know Uncharted 2 comes out in October, so I'll definitely grab that. As for games to grab tomorrow, I've been looking at these:

Infamous
Little Big Planet
Ratchet and Clank Future

Are those any good? I've checked sites like IGN and they seem good, but I wouldn't mind hearing from some CAGers with their personal thoughts.

Also, the Slim comes with the new Dual Shock controller right, and not the crappy Six Axis one? Last but not least, I will be able to upgrade the hard drive in the console right? It just takes a standard 3.5" SATA drive?

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']They all have demos so play them.[/QUOTE]

I'd prefer to grab at least one game while I'm out rather than buy the console, drive all the way back to the other side of town, set it up, download a demo, then drive all the way back to the other side of town to buy the game.

So yeah, I'd still like to hear some thoughts from people who have played said games.

1. PS3 comes with DS3.
2. PS3 hard drive is only compatible with 2.5 inch hard drive.

Buy:
MGS4
Valkyria Chronicles
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Resistance 2
Burnout Paradise
MotorStorm: PR
Street Fighter IV

Future games:
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Demon's Soul
God of War HD Collection
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack In Time
Assassin's Creed 2
Fallout 3: Game of The Year Edition
MW2
MAG
Heavy Rain
God of War 3

[quote name='tagout']1. PS3 comes with DS3.
2. PS3 hard drive is only compatible with 2.5 inch hard drive.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. I'm glad to hear that it has a DS3. Sucks about the HD though as I have a 320GB ready to go. Guess I'll have to snag a 2.5" drive off Newegg in the near future.

I've played Infamous and Little Big Planet from your short list, both I highly recommend for their varying platforming experiences.

Infamous is IMHO Sly Cooper meets Assassin's Creed, and you will have to play the game twice to enjoy the upper limits of the electric light/dark side powers. Single-player only, but it will last a while if you intend to collect everything in the game.

Little Big Planet is 2.5D old-school platforming with fancy gimmicks, but fun single-player level design and the opportunity to create your own levels and play other people's levels online is well worth the asking price, especially with GOTY (see below).

As for Ratchet and Clank, I played the demo but didn't enjoy it, so you have to hear from other CAGs to make your decision.

NOTE: If you're getting Little Big Planet, make damn sure you get the Game of The Year Edition. It has a bunch of new user-made levels and bundles some of their more popular sticker/costume packs. Especially well done and fun is the Metal Gear Solid level/costume pack. GOTY version will say so on the box and looks like this...

504x_lbp_goty-300x346.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
All 3 of the games you listed are excellent games to pick up. And as shogun mentioned, LittleBigPlanet: GOTY edition is out now, so make sure to get that if you are going to be buying LBP for full price anyway.

Also, TRU is doing B1G1 half off on Greatest hits games, so if you get Ratchet and Clank you can pick up Uncharted, MGS4, or another game with it for half off.

I would say the two must-have games for the PS3 are Uncharted and Little Big Planet. Both are amazing experiences and should not be passed up.

just so u know if you dont have a SONY 1080p HDTV it will not do 1080p and it dont have BC

The best game I've played on the PS3 so far has been Valkyria Chronicles. If you like the strategy games this is among the very best.

[quote name='starmask2k3']just so u know if you dont have a SONY 1080p HDTV it will not do 1080p [/QUOTE]

Were you raised under power lines as a kid?

[quote name='fizzywix']All 3 of the games you listed are excellent games to pick up. And as shogun mentioned, LittleBigPlanet: GOTY edition is out now, so make sure to get that if you are going to be buying LBP for full price anyway.

Also, TRU is doing B1G1 half off on Greatest hits games, so if you get Ratchet and Clank you can pick up Uncharted, MGS4, or another game with it for half off.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the heads up on TRU's sale. I'll definitely look into that. I've already played and beaten Uncharted, but MGS4 could be an option.

[quote name='starmask2k3']just so u know if you dont have a SONY 1080p HDTV it will not do 1080p and it dont have BC[/QUOTE]
Uhh...what? My old PS3 did 1080p on the Samsung that I have just fine. Are you saying they changed something in the Slim so that it doesnt support 1080p on non-Sony televisions (that sounds untrue to me). As for BC, I know, I don't care about PS2 games.

[quote name='starmask2k3']just so u know if you dont have a SONY 1080p HDTV it will not do 1080p and it dont have BC[/QUOTE]

SOME people had problems with this with SOME TVs but it was fixed with 3.01.

Uncharted
Valkyria Chronicles
Little Big Planet
Infamous
Ratchet and Clank
Metal Gear Solid 4 (play the first three or otherwise you won't know what' s going on here)

There is also a ton of good games on the PSN.

[quote name='starmask2k3']just so u know if you dont have a SONY 1080p HDTV it will not do 1080p[/QUOTE]

Hey, so, I have this bridge in France..

MLB 09 The Show if you love baseball games. It is the best sports videogame ever made. Until 2010 comes out.

Resistance 1 and 2 can both be found for pretty cheap. The games are comparable to Gears of War. Not as good as GOW but up there. I do prefer the multiplayer for Resistance compared to GOW.

Someones been drinking the stupid juice again.

[quote name='wildcpac']MLB 09 The Show if you love baseball games. It is the best sports videogame ever made. Until 2010 comes out.

Resistance 1 and 2 can both be found for pretty cheap. The games are comparable to Gears of War. Not as good as GOW but up there. I do prefer the multiplayer for Resistance compared to GOW.[/QUOTE]

I totally forgot about The Show. I'll definitely have to grab that, although I wish I could find a place that has it cheaper than the full $60.

[quote name='SEH']I totally forgot about The Show. I'll definitely have to grab that, although I wish I could find a place that has it cheaper than the full $60.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that as since it's a Sony first-party game, it's MSRP won't drop. Gamestop was still selling used copies of 08 for $40 when 09 came out. Nobody will have it below $60 new in retail B&M.

Tapout's list is pretty good, but I would substitute Killzone 2 for Resistance 2 (unless your TRU still has the R2 collector's edition for $30 since price seems to be a key selling point with you) and also switch Buzz Quiz TV for Motorstorm 2 (best non-music party game available on any platform.)

Also some Wal-Mart's are selling Valkyria Chronicles for $20, might want to check the deals forum for that thread. Don't forget many of the best multi-platform titles, like Rock Band/Guitar Hero, Fallout 3, and Call of Duty; or maybe some cheaper ones like Dead Space, Bioshock, Mirror's Edge, or Soul Calibur IV.

Of the three games you originally listed, I would go Infamous, then Ratchet, then LBP.

Looks like I may have to hit up a GS then and possibly snag a used copy of '08.

I may stop at Target as well tomorrow and see if they've got anything on clearance. I noticed in the Target thread that stuff like Dead Space, Motorstorm 2, and Ratchet and Clank can all be had for cheap.

As for the other stuff like RB and GH, I've already got those for the Xbox, and COD4 and FO3 I already own for PC, so those are no-goes. I really appreciate all the help and suggestions though guys. I think from what every has said, I'll definitely grab Infamous at the least while I'm out tomorrow.

Don't forget TRU is having a B1G1 50% off sale on greatest hits games. You'll be able to get Resistance and Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction, for instance, for $45 total, providing they're in stock.

[quote name='SEH']Looks like I may have to hit up a GS then and possibly snag a used copy of '08.

I may stop at Target as well tomorrow and see if they've got anything on clearance. I noticed in the Target thread that stuff like Dead Space, Motorstorm 2, and Ratchet and Clank can all be had for cheap.

As for the other stuff like RB and GH, I've already got those for the Xbox, and COD4 and FO3 I already own for PC, so those are no-goes. I really appreciate all the help and suggestions though guys. I think from what every has said, I'll definitely grab Infamous at the least while I'm out tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

You can buy MLB 09 The Show for around 35 used including shipping off of Amazon.

eh warhawk is hit and miss at this point. If you like online play go for it. I'm glad the price dropped for Heavenly Sword, but even at $30 its a tough sale.

/Sigh...

I went into TRU this morning and traded in $236 worth of games, get my credit, walk over to the games section only to find out they don't have any Slims in-stock. Apparently they wont get more until possibly Wednesday at the earliest. What's lame is I checked online right before I left the house and it said they had some in-stock, and even when I look now, it still says they have some.

I guess I can just hope they get some on Wednesday now. The guy tried selling me on the older models which they had a few of. He was pushing that Uncharted bundle pretty hard.

Get an external case for your hd. Format it to fat 32 and you can use it via usb2 with the ps3. I picked up a roswill from newegg for 19.99 with free shipping

Folklore is also a great unique exclusive game for PS3. It is the only game I've played for the PS3 that actually utilizes the motion sensor built into the sixaxis/Dual Shock 3 controllers. Check it out if you like the Devil May Cry series (Keats has the more action-packed fighting style though, Ellen's style is a bit less destructive but still fairly flashy) and dark gothic fantasy like Persona and The Witcher.

Musts:

Uncharted
The Show
MGS4
Infamous
Little Big Planet

The rest is on a case by taste basis and I avoided multiplatform games. I have no disagreements with the other suggestions, but those 4 are the ones that I consider must-owns to anyone just getting the PS3. I personally love Heavenly Sword as well as I tend to enjoy hack and slash, and despite it having some shortcomings, I really liked it.

I think PSN is a bit crap in comparison to say XBLA, but off of there, if you're a fan of Wipeout, Wipeout HD + the Fury pack is well worth $30. Fat Princess a lot of people seem to enjoy, but I can't get into it at all.

Well, since I'm impatient and didn't want to wait for my local TRU to maybe get some in on Wednesday, I drove up to Milwaukee and picked one up. I'm currently installing Infamous. I'll probably wind up grabbing MLB 09, LBP, and Uncharted 2 when it hits, so if you want to add me, feel free. My PSN name is "SlurringRhythms".

Again guys, thanks for your help and suggestions.

bread's done
Back