CAG 3.0 Upgrade - News, Updates And Progress - Dark Theme, Feedback are Live - EVERYTHING is Coming Back Soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I forgot to ask: is there any sort of 'new post' branding? It was so easy to see what posts were new under the old format and now I feel like I'm lost whenever I click on threads.
I was just going to comment on this same thing. I really, really liked being able to glance at a topic and see when a new post was made without having to actually go into the thread.

I hope that's one of the things that returns once we have full functionality. :pray:

CAG is timing out and responding very slow for me right now. Not sure if it is because everybody is hitting the site in large numbers right now.

I really hope that wikis and thread title changes get added back soon. The steam deals thread is going to be a mess until then :whee:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just woke up about an hour ago (on the West Coast). WOW, was not expecting this. It looks good in some ways but very strange in others.

Like everyone else, I have a few requests/questions pertaining to the new board:
- Is there a way to default to having the post editor off all the time (to the editing mode with the Courier font and bbcode)?
- Speaking of that mode, the text wraps around oddly when I use it-- like when I get to the end of a line, if I'm still typing a word, said word continues onto the next line instead of the whole thing popping over to it. Spaces behave in a similar manner.
- In posts, quoted text doesn't seem to be as differentiated from body text as it was on the previous board. Quotes and non-quotes seem to blend in a little more now...
- Will we be able to have our gamertags, etc. under our names like on the old board?
- Also:

We are going to get the ability to edit thread titles back, right? My CAG Trading thread is all effed up now because I can't change the title.
I see that Cheapy has addressed this, but what I would like to know is how this will affect URLs for those threads. Will they change as well when a thread title is edited?

Unrelated replies:

Is the new forum now vulnerable to spambots? I don't recall ever seeing spam posts before, but now the contests/free stuff board is plastered with them.
On the old board, there were quite a few of them in the General Gaming forums, blogs, and elsewhere. Spambots are persistent buggers like that :razz:

Now, when you guys bring back the dark background, will users be able to choose which one they want?
Because I wonder who that'd work.

Imagine someone who's typing in white on a black background and someone (probably just me) has the white enabled.
It should work. Although, if there are two or more "skins" that we can choose from, we'll have to be careful about what custom colors we use in our posts...

One more suggestion/issue: it's really difficult to navigate through longer threads right now. Currently, a huge thread like the Amazon Deals thread has only three page numbers at the top that you can click on. For example, it's on page 634 right now. If I wanted to look back and read something on page 620, it's going to take me forever to get there. On the old board, there were "bookmarks" every so-and-so number of pages which allowed for easier navigation.
Okay, so I wasn't done with requests :razz: A "jump to page #" feature would be great.

The new site has only been live a few hours I figure most concerns will be addressed within the next few days.
Having done this sort of site migration before myself (though not nearly on this scale ;)), yeah, it'll take awhile. Still, I hope all of our feedback is useful; that's why this thread's here!

I think that's all my thoughts on this for now...

Would it be possible change it so it says when the thread was last posted in?  I don't care so much as to when the thread was started, but I do like to see when the last post was made.  

Do we lose all our trading feedback?
I have the same question. That's pretty essential for those of us who use the site to trade. Would this be covered under the "marketplace" still needing to be converted?

One more suggestion/issue: it's really difficult to navigate through longer threads right now. Currently, a huge thread like the Amazon Deals thread has only three page numbers at the top that you can click on. For example, it's on page 634 right now. If I wanted to look back and read something on page 620, it's going to take me forever to get there. On the old board, there were "bookmarks" every so-and-so number of pages which allowed for easier navigation.
Yes, of course all your info from the other site is coming.

To jump to any page, just click on the "Page x of x" text at the top and bottom of every page.

Yes, of course all your info from the other site is coming.

To jump to any page, just click on the "Page x of x" text at the top and bottom of every page.
Cool! Didn't notice that the "Page x of x" was clickable. That definitely helps in terms of navigating longer threads. Thanks!

As a side note, it might not be a bad idea to post a writeup of the new features once the site is done, as I'm sure there are many cool things that people will miss (like I did with the "page x of x" thing).

I really hope that wikis and thread title changes get added back soon. The steam deals thread is going to be a mess until then :whee:
Good news for the Steam thread is that titles can now be quite a bit longer. You can fit another couple of deals in there now.
Well that is a plus to the new site I suppose. Hopefully wikis are restored soon so I can go back to just lazily updating sunday's posts ;)

2 other things I've noticed, on the old CAG it would only show each person's signature once per page.  If they posted again on the same page, it would not show their signature again.  I liked that feature, hope to see it again.

Also, maybe someone can help me with this, but is there a way to sort my "Content I Follow" into folders or anything, like there was on the CAG 2.0?

I tried to quote a user but it just doesn't work. I clicked quote, it sat there for 5 minutes or so, then just gave me an empty reply window. Refreshed and tried again, same result. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I don't know.

And don't know if this is a larger user numbers issue or site issue, but it's just running really, really, really slow.

Edit: Quoting seems to be working now, must have been slow response killing it.

Will there actually be a timestamp of the latest post, and said poster, before you click on the thread title to go into that thread like there used to be?  Don't see it on any of the threads so far, only the person who started the thread.

Looking good so far. Looking forward to the main page being up and the dark theme (thank you based Cheapy for implementing that.) Keep up the good work, guys.

I hope, once the update is complete, that this site continues to be the addictive site that keeps gamers coming back for more!

Don't see how CAG 2.0 can be topped, so this should be interesting!

I do not envy John nor Cheapy during this process. Speaking from experience, performing a site migration like this is just a colossal pain in the ass. Best-laid plans or not, stuff always always always goes sideways and you're scrambling to squash one bug while reports of three more pop up right away. It's extremely stressful, and it doesn't help when people are in the forums shrieking "CHANGE IT BACK!!" and "I HATE IT!!!" before it's even remotely close to being finished. 

Guys and ladies, give them a chance to finish the job before grading it or declaring that you're never coming back. (First rule of people on the Internet who say they'll never be back: They always come back. Usually within 24 hours.) 

Cheapy and John, good luck and good work. The quiet majority have your back, even if the noise level suggests otherwise.

Minor detail: What happened to the info under a user's avatar in a post (XBL/PSN GT, join date, etc.)? Is that coming back? I always thought that was a nice touch; I didn't have to go to a user's profile to get an idea about how familar they are with CAG. Also, bragging rights.
Mouse over the person's user name, and all of that should pop up in a box. I think that's a cool feature.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ooooooh! I missed that - good catch. Thanks!

Also, I can't get this forum to load past page 9 on IE. Firefox and Chrome loaded pages 10 and 11 just fine.

EDIT: Quoting seems a little wonky. I put a " - - - - - - - - - - - " after DaiMonPaul's quote and before my response. Not sure if it's just my browser, but DaiMonPaul's quote didn't have a separate "box around it.

Nice feature I just came across, the ability to disable your signature on a post you've made. I've made it to where all my list postings in the GS TIV thread will never show my signature and that's nice so you don't have necessary crap in between useful information. Also, no one needs to see what I'm watching on my HTPC that much in a short screen space.

Nice feature I just came across, the ability to disable your signature on a post you've made. I've made it to where all my list postings in the GS TIV thread will never show my signature and that's nice so you don't have necessary crap in between useful information. Also, no one needs to see what I'm watching on my HTPC that much in a short screen space.
that was a feature in 2.0 actually.

Okay, what does the number in the green box that is under your name (when you hover over your user name) mean? The 10, 11 and 12s? (I was at 10, now 11. Can't be a post count for the thread.) Just curious.

Okay, what does the number in the green box that is under your name (when you hover over your user name) mean? The 10, 11 and 12s? (I was at 10, now 11. Can't be a post count for the thread.) Just curious.
I think it's your number of "likes".

One thing that I was wondering about Twitter. I saw there's an option to syncronize (and also that we had to relink our twitter accounts), but do our twitter feeds no longer show on our profile page or is that just one of the things that still needs to be ported over.

Also, posting seems a little screwy since I've had one or two posts already disappear randomly today for some unknown reason.

I think it's your number of "likes".
Huh, interesting. I presume it's "likes" received then. But Cheapy is at 13 - I imagine he'd have a lot more by now.

Figured out my quoting issue mentioned above. I had to click on the arrow with the qutoing options at the top of the reply bar. (If that makes sense; you know, where you can change the font, add smileys, etc.? It's the arrow that's in the lower right.) Once I clicked on that and hid the options, then I could type in the white space below the quote. (I tried doing that without hiding the bar, but it wouldn't let me type below the grey space.)

that was a feature in 2.0 actually.
Well that just makes me feel unobservant. Thanks for the info, makes me wonder how much of the stuff I'm coming across was already there. Once I get into a comfort zone I don't move beyond it unless absolutely necessary.

It might've been listed elsewhere but I'm still stumbling through this change: is there no longer an option to disable signatures (without switching to the mobile site)? I liked how much cleaner it looked when I could - I'm not a fan of random images/gifs/text thrown in the middle of the important bits.

Hey I've been trying to avoid the sun for the longest time, what's with the white. I'm kidding, but still, need a dark theme.

It might've been listed elsewhere but I'm still stumbling through this change: is there no longer an option to disable signatures (without switching to the mobile site)? I liked how much cleaner it looked when I could - I'm not a fan of random images/gifs/text thrown in the middle of the important bits.
You can go here and click the checkbox to disable all signatures or you can click on the X in the upper right hand corner of someone's signature and disable the view of just that user's signature or all signatures.

I understand what a huge undertaking this must have been. Great job. Can't wait to see the tweaks roll in these next few weeks.

You can go here and click the checkbox to disable all signatures or you can click on the X in the upper right hand corner of someone's signature and disable the view of just that user's signature or all signatures.
Awesome; much better now. Thanks for the help - I actually had checked that page and managed to overlook it (seems to be in a slightly odd place, if you ask me!).

Is there a way to switch notifications over to just topics? Right now it lists every single new post in topics I follow, which is pretty much dominated by this thread right now.

I'm going to be patient about this design overhaul but I've gotta warn you, Cheapo and John, my knee is jerking.  

Not particularly fond of the new site layout, reminds me too much of a mobile web setup. IMO the old setup was great and need not have been changed.

4 years of browsing, open up the site this morning, shake my head. WHY?!

It's definitely a deterrent for me, as it is I barely use the site, but hopefully the touted dark theme is a throwback to the original layout of the site as it was just days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back