CAG 3.0 Upgrade - News, Updates And Progress - Dark Theme, Feedback are Live - EVERYTHING is Coming Back Soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a "Notification Frequency" setting, meaning that it controls WHEN you get notifications, not whether you do or not. What you want to do is uncheck all of the boxes under "Email" that apply.
So to get ONE email alert, I say I don't want ANY email alerts?

Why don't you guys just look at the "Content I Follow" page for which threads have new posts? It's basically the User CP from CAG 2.0. You can also tweak the notifications to only show when you've been quoted or someone liked one of your posts.
That's more doable, but the little pop-up notification is just quicker (one click to view, vs. two). And you have to click it to make the notification number go away, so it would be nice for it to be more usable by just listing the threads with new posts rather than just the last 10 or whatever new posts.

It's not a biggie, but it is easier than going to 3 or 4 forums manually to see if the few threads I give a crap about on this site at any given time have gotten any replies. Especially since the drop down forum selector menu isn't back yet (is it coming back), which makes jumping forums more of a hassle than on the old site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think it's been mentioned but you can now use the search tool at top to find games.  Change it to products.

it seems notifications for people quoting your post is very sporadic. 

I've had some posts quoted and didn't realize until I checked that thread.

Also last week I got a notification hours after seeing the quoted post.  These are just the ticker inbox notifcation not email.  I'm not sure if I got emails for each PM I've received so far however.

Apologies in advance if I missed this - but is the collection/wishlist section going to be fixed?  It sort of works now, but worse than it did on the previous version of the site. To be specific:

- old data we had stored (game star ratings, completed, now playing) is that getting restored? Not thrilled if that is lost for good.

- old site made more sense in that you could rate the game and mark it completed or now playing right from your collection; right now you can do some of this but not centrally

- from new collection list - most of the product details do not seem to save correctly

I'm hoping most of the above will be fixed soon as a long-time CAG who really enjoyed the old collection portion of the site.

So I uploaded the boxart for an older game on my collection list that didn't have it, first time I've done that. How long does it normally take for something like that to be verified? Would like to fill in the blank boxes for the grid view.

Small request for the dark theme, make it so that ignored posts aren't a bright white bar; they stand out compared to the rest of the page which is the opposite of what I want to see from someone I've ignored. Ideally, there would be no way to tell someone you've ignored has posted, but even a recoloring from white to dark grey to match the theme would be an improvement.

I'm having a weird issue where sometimes I don't get empty lines between paragraphs.

What I mean is I'll hit enter twice to break up a post so it looks like these two lines, and it will look that way in the post editor box. But then it gets smushed together like below, and I have to go into edit and add the extra line back.

Example:

I'm having a weird issue where sometimes I don't get empty lines between paragraphs.

What I mean is I'll hit enter twice to break up a post so it looks like these two lines, and it will look that way in the post editor box. But then it gets smushed together like below, and I have to go into edit and add the extra line back.

Actually had to do the edit to this post as the text above the quote ended up getting smushed together like the example in the quote box...

Using latest version of Chrome on Windows 7 if that matters.

How do I get rid of the annoying Twitter feed on the main page? There is no part of me that wishes to see what Cheapy D and Company are rambling on about all the time.

I wish that my collection and wish list was still on the top right, really digged that about the old format.

Great job on the site.  Personally I like the white.  To me it is much cleaner and easier to read.  As a rule of thumb, small white on black is much more difficult to read, so I welcome the new change.

A few things that need to be fixed.

The facebook, icon on the top nav bar is broken. When you try to log in it has a redirect broken link.

Also once you login to CAG the social icons (FB & Twitter) disappear.  You need those to stay up at all times.

Thanks..I will report more once I spend some more time poking around.

Thanks!

Some changes going up this weekend, there may be a little downtime. Will try to keep it to off-peak times. 

I still haven't received an answer that seems to be like the old system. I want one notification for a topic I follow, and then I won't receive another one until I view the topic. If I uncheck all my email notification options, I get nothing. If I set it to OFFLINE, but only check the email on new post, I still get a notification for every post. Why?

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/?app=prices; it's been at the bottom of every page pretty much since 3.0 started. 

You can also look up a game using the search function, click on it, and it will show the price history.

I honestly don't know how some of you can't find this stuff.

Quick navigation tool - that little widget looking thing next to Community on top of each page that sort of looks like a yard marker in American football or a bottle opener.  Click it; it opens a pop up box.  Click on the Forums and there you go.

When clicking on the open letter to take a look at my inbox at the top, I see something not really helpful:

Subjects of conversations, a timestamp and... my name. On all of them.

Why don't I see the name of the person I am having a conversation with in that view? I'd say that that would be much more helpful.

The way it works now is basically the person who starts the pm will be shown in that tab now, which I have to admit is pretty useless.

I mean it's nice to just have one main message history now between two users, but it would be a lot better if a person responds that the header in the inbox message will have the responding person's name instead of whoever made the first message.

Quick navigation tool - that little widget looking thing next to Community on top of each page that sort of looks like a yard marker in American football or a bottle opener. Click it; it opens a pop up box. Click on the Forums and there you go

So are we going to tweak the layout to make better use of the space? I understand the need to optimize the layout for mobile users but how many people that browse the site from their phone or tablet contribute or even click through to bring money back to the site?

Is there an update so I can see more then the lame 30 oversized posts per page? I feel like with the current layout the 30 posts per page take up MORE space and require MORE scrolling then the old layout on 2.0 that allowed for 100 posts.

Also not a fan only a small percentage of the title texts getting displayed in the forum categories. Sometimes I have no idea what a topic is about or at best have to guess prior to clicking on the link.

Edit: I'm guessing with all this user friendly change the site is only one or two bad decisions away from using a facebook required login?

So are we going to tweak the layout to make better use of the space? I understand the need to optimize the layout for mobile users but how many people that browse the site from their phone or tablet contribute or even click through to bring money back to the site?

Is there an update so I can see more then the lame 30 oversized posts per page? I feel like with the current layout the 30 posts per page take up MORE space and require MORE scrolling then the old layout on 2.0 that allowed for 100 posts.

Also not a fan only a small percentage of the title texts getting displayed in the forum categories. Sometimes I have no idea what a topic is about or at best have to guess prior to clicking on the link.

Edit: I'm guessing with all this user friendly change the site is only one or two bad decisions away from using a facebook required login?
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/309612-cag-30-upgrade-news-updates-and-progress-dark-theme-feedback-are-live-everything-is-coming-back-soon/?view=findpost&p=10844642 is your answer to 30 posts from a month ago.

I'm only posting new features I find as I find them to help out the community. I have nothing to do with programming nor know what John and Cheapy are working on. I do recommend that if you have a display issue (like the title texts) which doesn't seem that common (I don't have an issue with seeing topics if that's what you mean) or hasn't been mentioned here or elsewhere in this forum, then take a screenshot and post it so others can see it and maybe someone can assist you in fixing it or John can look into it.

Lastly, a little advice, if you want people to help you, leaving a jackass comment isn't the way to do it.

So the thread titles not showing in entirety is a display issue? Really?

When a title displays as:

Tank Tank Tank Wii U $20 Best Buy ($0 after @Ga....

But is actually:

Tank Tank Tank Wii U $20 Best Buy ($0 after @Gamer Coupon)

Then it must be user error....

Maybe it's me but I have to believe that's not a good use of space. In fairness I'm using Google Chrome and I cropped out the Browsing Tabs and URL Bar (Top of Screen) as well as my Task Bar (Bottom of Screen) but we are talking about 10% of the screen as best.

I just don't understand why I can only see 6 threads and 4 of them (boxed in red) aren't even the complete thread title due to space limitations yet over half of the screen is empty space (red margins on left and right of screen AND red box outlines).

BUT I bet it looks super sweet on a smart phone  :roll:

35pl.jpg

So the thread titles not showing in entirety is a display issue? Really?

When a title displays as:

Tank Tank Tank Wii U $20 Best Buy ($0 after @Ga....

But is actually:

Tank Tank Tank Wii U $20 Best Buy ($0 after @Gamer Coupon)

Then it must be user error....
If you hover your cursor over the title, the whole title shows up in a yellow box. Have you tried that?

If you hover your cursor over the title, the whole title shows up in a yellow box. Have you tried that?

You know I could do that... or CAG could have a layout that shows the most information possible without extra scrolling or clicking or link hovering.

Something like this with lots of information... all visible:

sd24.jpg

versus the current layout:

35pl.jpg

You see what I'm getting at?

BUT I bet it looks super sweet on a smart phone :roll:
No, your browser is just fucked up. The mobile version looks absolutely nothing like that. I use the mobile version 99% of the time and nothing like that is available. Just for fun, I switched over to the Desktop version and browsed 6 different forums and the only titles that were cut-off were those deal threads where they just HAVE to list each and every single game on sale in the title of the thread. Even then, it still shows about 25-30 words. And the Desktop version is more inconvienent on mobile because it lists the forums side by side instead of on top of each other.

No, your browser is just fucked up. The mobile version looks absolutely nothing like that. I use the mobile version 99% of the time and nothing like that is available. Just for fun, I switched over to the Desktop version and browsed 6 different forums and the only titles that were cut-off were those deal threads where they just HAVE to list each and every single game on sale in the title of the thread. Even then, it still shows about 25-30 words. And the Desktop version is more inconvienent on mobile because it lists the forums side by side instead of on top of each other.
Incorrect.

That is how CAG looks in Google Chrome. I try to be efficient as possible when I browse sites and on here I hardly ever go into each sub forum (unless I'm searching for something in particular). All I need to do when I am here is click the "what's new" tab at the top of CAG. And that is EXACTLY how it looks.

It would be helpful if people stopped blaming the poor layout on a users browser or operating system and just started admitting that the layout isn't very good... at least spatially.

But again it's super awesome that everyone likes the mobile version.....

What exactly does it have to do with the mobile version? Especially since the mobile version DOESN'T LOOK ANYTHING LIKE THAT.

And in the DESKTOP version viewed on a mobile phone, the layout is far too wide. You have to zoom out all the way and tilt the phone on the side to read comfortably.

What exactly does it have to do with the mobile version? Especially since the mobile version DOESN'T LOOK ANYTHING LIKE THAT.
And in the DESKTOP version viewed on a mobile phone, the layout is far too wide. You have to zoom out all the way and tilt the phone on the side to read comfortably.
I have no problem browsing the desktop site on my iPhone 5. I prefer it much more than the actual mobile version. The website looks almost identical to the Desktop site on PC, sans the empty space and text being bigger.

If you go on the desktop site and browse by always using the "what's new" hot link on the top of the site you will be brought to a page that looks like this:

zzqk.jpg

The arrows show a useless (in my opinion) navigation bar that pushes everything almost to the middle of the screen. Once you get below the navigation bar everything is still unfortunately indented like below:

1et7.jpg

Things look a little bit better if you go right to a particular sub-forum but I don't like to have to visit CAG and check out 4-5 different subforums when I could just pop in a few times a day and go to "what's new" and see everything that has been updated in one place.

I just think if better use was made of the layout and more then 25 topics could be shown at once it would take care of unnecessary scrolling and clicking.

New site is looking great, everyone is working so hard.  Did the dark theme get fixed so we can back to using the site with a dark theme?  I saw a screenshot someone posted and it was dark, but I cant find that setting.  I did a search and this thread came up but in the last couple pages couldnt find information on this.  

New site is looking great, everyone is working so hard. Did the dark theme get fixed so we can back to using the site with a dark theme? I saw a screenshot someone posted and it was dark, but I cant find that setting. I did a search and this thread came up but in the last couple pages couldnt find information on this.
Scroll all of the way down to the bottom of any page. There's a link that says "Change Theme" right between the rss icon and "English." We've had the dark theme back since a couple days after the new site launched!

Did a big update to the price scanning tech on the site today, which should result in much better quality price data as well as the automatic importing of games into the database. If there are any games that should be in the database but are missing, let me know and I'll find out why. 

Apologies in advance if I missed this - but is the collection/wishlist section going to be fixed? It sort of works now, but worse than it did on the previous version of the site. To be specific:

- old data we had stored (game star ratings, completed, now playing) is that getting restored? Not thrilled if that is lost for good.

- old site made more sense in that you could rate the game and mark it completed or now playing right from your collection; right now you can do some of this but not centrally

- from new collection list - most of the product details do not seem to save correctly

I'm hoping most of the above will be fixed soon as a long-time CAG who really enjoyed the old collection portion of the site.
I asked about this before and didn't get an answer... are these features coming back or what? This was a big part of what I used the site for and I'll be very displeased if these have gone away forever.

Things I can't do that I used to be able to do:

- Sort collection by system

- Rate games in collection

- Move things to and from beaten and now playing from the collection screen

- See what percentage of games I have beaten

:(

When are we going to get back the features that used to be in the front page?  Specifically, the most recent threads from the forums.  Those are certainly more helpful to me than a Twitter feed.

I asked about this before and didn't get an answer... are these features coming back or what? This was a big part of what I used the site for and I'll be very displeased if these have gone away forever.

Things I can't do that I used to be able to do:

- Sort collection by system

- Rate games in collection

- Move things to and from beaten and now playing from the collection screen

- See what percentage of games I have beaten

:(
Yep, there are a bunch of collection features coming back - any day now.

Did a big update to the price scanning tech on the site today, which should result in much better quality price data as well as the automatic importing of games into the database. If there are any games that should be in the database but are missing, let me know and I'll find out why.
I have a list I've been keeping since 3.0 went live. Most of them are PC Games that I've gotten through bundles on Desura or downloads. If you need the list, let me know the best way to send it to you and what data, other than the title, format, and type (digital or physical) you want in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back