CAG Arcade Stick Thread II: World Warrior

I bought my first arcade stick a few days ago off Amazon, a Hori Real Arcade Pro 3. I'm in the process of designing the art work and I'll be ordering a plexiglass cover, an art cutout, and Sanwa buttons.

I'm pretty tempted on getting in on the B1G1 free TE sticks, but this time for the 360. I don't want 2 exactly so I've been asking if one of my friends would want to split the deal.

But with all these customization and my indecisiveness to pick the art I want, having 1 or 2 sticks might not be enough...

I just got the Tatsunoko vs Capcom stick and I'm very satisfied. What kind of buttons does it have? I think I'll mod my 360 to use them.

[quote name='depascal22']I just got the Tatsunoko vs Capcom stick and I'm very satisfied. What kind of buttons does it have? I think I'll mod my 360 to use them.[/QUOTE]

Madcatz buttons on that stick by default

[quote name='depascal22']I just got the Tatsunoko vs Capcom stick and I'm very satisfied. What kind of buttons does it have?[/QUOTE]

The buttons are white and blue.

[quote name='coolsteel']Madcatz buttons on that stick by default[/QUOTE]

They feel better than the Hori stick I have for the 360. Thanks for the info.

I was trying to use the Tekken 6 HORI (POS) stick with Pac Man - and the stick showed me how horrible it really is. Couldn't hardly control Pac Man! PAC MAN! I'll never play any game, (or any of my guests) using this stick ever. Is it moddable?

[quote name='Thomas96']I was trying to use the Tekken 6 HORI (POS) stick with Pac Man - and the stick showed me how horrible it really is. Couldn't hardly control Pac Man! PAC MAN! I'll never play any game, (or any of my guests) using this stick ever. Is it moddable?[/QUOTE]

Yea, you can mod it, but it's very hard to do. @_@

The Tekken 6 Hori should be like most of the others, like the Soul Calibur 4 or Wii or any number of clones. It ought to be fine for most things. Something's wrong if you're having trouble hitting 4 directions for Pac Man.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']The Tekken 6 Hori should be like most of the others, like the Soul Calibur 4 or Wii or any number of clones. It ought to be fine for most things. Something's wrong if you're having trouble hitting 4 directions for Pac Man.[/QUOTE]

I dunno about those, but I believe him when he says it since I own one. It's a pretty fucking bad stick.

[quote name='depascal22']They feel better than the Hori stick I have for the 360. Thanks for the info.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear. We worked very hard on engineering new buttons from the ground up. The original SE sticks used sourced parts (as we ran out of time to develop them).

For a full comparison vs Sanwa check here:

http://shoryuken.com/f177/tatsunoko...atz-confirmed-211098/index11.html#post8290419

NOTE: We were not going for the Sanwa feel. We wanted it to feel different but offer the same reliability. I think we hit a good middle ground for Sanwa feel with Seimitsu responsiveness.

[quote name='Thomas96']I was trying to use the Tekken 6 HORI (POS) stick with Pac Man - and the stick showed me how horrible it really is. Couldn't hardly control Pac Man! PAC MAN! I'll never play any game, (or any of my guests) using this stick ever. Is it moddable?[/QUOTE]

This is a well known problem when playing Pac-Man, it's not your stick in this case.
Pac-Man requires a 4-way input and you are using an 8-way joystick.
The problem has been referenced here on the previous page.
The solution is to get a $5 4-way restrictor plate and Pac-Man will play fine.

"The best example of a game where diagonals can be a problem is Pac-Man. The game recognizes the last of the four directions newly-engaged in choosing the direction of movement. Say you are turning right, but you accidentally clip the up switch after engaging right. Up will be the saved direction because it was last engaged. So you try to fix this by rotating the stick out of the up-right diagonal into only the right engagement. You would intuitively think this would fix the problem and make right the new direction. But right was engaged the entire time and it is not a new command. So up is still the recognized movement even though you are specifically holding right and only right."

This was originally the art i was going to use on my HRAP but since i used non clear buttons i had these buttons laying around forever and finally had something to put them in thanks to walmart. also, my first time doing lamilabel and i must say I hate it. Gonna probably have to replace it with a vinyl print in the future

5219829393_0915869bd2_b.jpg

I also got the wrong mounting plate on my ls-32 so I'll have to wait to complete it

man its insane how fast joysticks sellout. I waitlisted myself 2 weeks ago and got the instock email on saturday. Ordered right away and 2 days later it is sold out. Thats just insane!

edit:fixed sentences.

I got my Seimitsu LS-32-01 joystick in today.
It is set with a 4-way restrictor gate for Pac-Man CE DX.
I put in the Seimitsu clear skeleton buttons,
but they don't have any artwork in them yet.
I'd like to do Super Meat Boy with saw blades and blood spatters.

picture.php

[quote name='gordojones88']I got my Seimitsu LS-32-01 joystick in today.
I'd like to do Super Meat Boy with saw blades and blood spatters.

picture.php
[/QUOTE]

Nice work so far!!! I just got my LS 32-01 in today. I still have to order the buttons and the octogonal restrictor plate. i have the artwork done already....and im going to order a bubble ball top to match the artwork.

did you have any problems with the screw ins? i heard there is a problem with 2 buttons near the joystick restrictor plate. I cant wait to do everything.

you should check deviantART. there are tons of artists willing to do digital artwork for a cheap price.

I got the Walmart $14 MadCatz SFIV fightstick for 360 and one for PS3.

I put in a Seimitsu LS-32 joystick.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting ready to order the parts to mod my MadCatz SE stick. Are these parts correct? (I've also added a Sanwa LB-35 Ball Top)

And I'll be able to adjust this restrictor plate to a 4 way diagonal, right?

Ok, this is my rough draft first design for a stick based on the buttons/stick I bought above:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is not going to be a fighting stick, this will be a 4-directional (diamond) arcade stick.

Do you like the old school rough pixel look or should I round those guys off?

Can someone tell me
What is the cheapest youve got 6 buttons + joystick(including ball and plate) for x360 shipped to the US for the SF4 X360 Madcatz for sanwa parts ? Cheapest I get is $40 all-in. Thanks!

[quote name='nas6034']Can someone tell me
What is the cheapest youve got 6 buttons + joystick(including ball and plate) for x360 shipped to the US for the SF4 X360 Madcatz for sanwa parts ? Cheapest I get is $40 all-in. Thanks![/QUOTE]

If you can get that price shipped, take it. I paid $57 for a Sanwa stick, 8 new buttons and a ball topper.

[quote name='ZForce915']Ok, this is my rough draft first design for a stick based on the buttons/stick I bought above:

This is not going to be a fighting stick, this will be a 4-directional (diamond) arcade stick.
Do you like the old school rough pixel look or should I round those guys off?[/QUOTE]

When you first indicated your button colors, I thought it was a hideous choice.
Now that I see where you're going with the Pac-Man theme, it's an excellent choice.
My stick is also just for Pac-Man CE DX which I got to play using the Seimitsu stick with last night.
The Seimitsu has a 4-leaf clover type 4-way restrictor, whereas the Sanwa has the diamond shaped.

I like the pixelated Pac-Man look in the game.
I'm trying really hard to incorporate my design into the clear skeleton Seimitsu buttons.
You could conceivably put the ghosts into colored buttons with clear tops.
It would really make the ghosts pop out of the solid black background,
and look like the new Pac-Man CE DX with the conga line of neon colored ghosts.
I've noticed in other people's designs that small characters work better and make the stick platform look bigger.
With the clear button tops, you could even put the LEDs in the colored buttons too.

Can you make a pic with 8 smaller ghosts where the buttons are.
Don't put circles or anything around the ghosts, just make them fit.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Here is an arcade Pac-Man template made for the TE stick.

picture.php

[quote name='gordojones88']When you first indicated your button colors, I thought it was a hideous choice.
Now that I see where you're going with the Pac-Man theme, it's an excellent choice.
My stick is also just for Pac-Man CE DX which I got to play using the Seimitsu stick with last night.
The Seimitsu has a 4-leaf clover type 4-way restrictor, whereas the Sanwa has the diamond shaped.

I like the pixelated Pac-Man look in the game.
I'm trying really hard to incorporate my design into the clear skeleton Seimitsu buttons.
You could conceivably put the ghosts into colored buttons with clear tops.
It would really make the ghosts pop out of the solid black background,
and look like the new Pac-Man CE DX with the conga line of neon colored ghosts.
I've noticed in other people's designs that small characters work better and make the stick platform look bigger.
With the clear button tops, you could even put the LEDs in the colored buttons too.

Can you make a pic with 8 smaller ghosts where the buttons are.
Don't put circles or anything around the ghosts, just make them fit.

Here is an arcade Pac-Man template made for the SE stick.

picture.php
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was wondering if someone was going to call me out on the color choices. The only issue is the color of the orange, the button is way darker (or it appears that way) than the ghost is. I can either ignore that or darken the ghost a little to bridge the gap and hopefully make it unnoticeable.

I did consider a ghost in the button scenario but was afraid I wasn't going to be able to work it out. I was picturing a black outline so the button color formed the ghost.

I like that pac man art you have, how long did it take you to put that together? I've thought about using the pac man and ghosts that I have at the bottom and right where the stick bevels upward creating a different set of artwork, very similar to yours. I just wasn't able to find what I was looking for to play around with that. Plus that is a design that might look better in my head than in reality.

I've also thought about tossing the whole old school design in favor of Pac-Man CE DX but again I can't find quite what I'm looking for. Plus my button colors might not work quite the same with that.

/rambling

hey man, choose the stick art that you like. If you are cool with your original design...stick with it. its one of a kind.

i like the theme and the button colors matching up with each ghosts. Nice touch! i cant wait to see these sticks come out in full force.

[quote name='ZForce915']I like that pac man art you have, how long did it take you to put that together? I've thought about using the pac man and ghosts that I have at the bottom and right where the stick bevels upward creating a different set of artwork, very similar to yours. I just wasn't able to find what I was looking for to play around with that. Plus that is a design that might look better in my head than in reality.

I've also thought about tossing the whole old school design in favor of Pac-Man CE DX but again I can't find quite what I'm looking for. Plus my button colors might not work quite the same with that.[/QUOTE]

It's not my design. It came from here. But it's for the TE, not SE.

I wanna see 8 colored ghosts inside the button holes.

I have been asked if you can use the TE sticks on the 360 while playing original xbox games. I told him yes because the TE stick just doubles as a 360 controller. However, I just want to make sure.

Hey all. I picked up a SFIV Madcatz CE fightstick a couple of weeks ago as part of the big Walmart.com deal, and I'm ready to mod it. Before I place my order on lizardlick, I just wanted to confirm I have everything I need.

After reading many guides, I decided to get the Sanwa stick and buttons. So from what I gather, I need to order:

- Sanwa-JLF-TP-8YT-SK
- 8 OBSF-30 buttons

Are these the correct high-quality parts, and do I need to order anything else? Restrictor or mounting plates? I take it I'll need a ball top... which is the correct size and best to use?

Thanks!

[quote name='anathema728']Lizardlick includes a balltop with your joystick. It's when you select the color.
Oh, and MvC3 fightsticks are incoming.[/QUOTE]

No, they don't include ball tops anymore.
Let me know when Walmart has the MvC3 fightsticks for $14.

[quote name='anathema728']Lizardlick includes a balltop with your joystick. It's when you select the color

oh, and MvC3 fightsticks are incoming.[/QUOTE]

From the description page:

Our best selling stick! This model has the correct PCB orientation for drop-in replacement for Madcatz TE and SE fightsticks. Includes pre-installed mounting plate, and a black shaft cover with 2 matching dustwashers. It does not include the wiring harness. All JLF series sticks ship with a square gate set for 8-way operation. Tops are now sold separately, any Sanwa or Seimitsu ball top will fit on this stick...

[quote name='ZForce915']From the description page:

Our best selling stick! This model has the correct PCB orientation for drop-in replacement for Madcatz TE and SE fightsticks. Includes pre-installed mounting plate, and a black shaft cover with 2 matching dustwashers. It does not include the wiring harness. All JLF series sticks ship with a square gate set for 8-way operation. Tops are now sold separately, any Sanwa or Seimitsu ball top will fit on this stick...[/QUOTE]

Too bad they are currently out of stock... :(

it's the 35mm but if you're planning on getting white, don't, just use the balltop from the madcatz stick

seimitsu bubble ball tops will also fit

I probably won't get a MvC3 stick for MSRP either. Just a heads up, but it's not like anyone didn't see mvc3 madcatz sticks incoming. I mean, sf4/tvc/super sf4 sticks...

[quote name='Dr. Feel Good']Too bad they are currently out of stock... :([/QUOTE]

That happened in a day too, since I just placed an order. Keep checking, as I understand it they are frequently restocking.

[quote name='Dr. Feel Good']Too bad they are currently out of stock... :([/QUOTE]

Wait list your self. I did for the ls 32 01 and they will email you when its in stock.

I got the following Sanwa parts for only $94.90 shipped = $47.45 for each joystick set.
16 x OBSF-30 Buttons(8 different colors)($2 each)
2 x JLF-TP-8YT Joysticks(includes balltop)($20 each)
2 x octagonal restrictor plates.($3.95 each)
$15 shipping.

If anyone wants to know where I purchased it from can shoot me a PM. Or if not can I post the website here? If there are any NYCers that want to get in let me know so we can save on shipping to bring our costs down.

[quote name='nas6034']I got the following Sanwa parts for only $94.90 shipped = $47.45 for each joystick set.
16 x OBSF-30 Buttons(8 different colors)($2 each)
2 x JLF-TP-8YT Joysticks(includes balltop)($20 each)
2 x octagonal restrictor plates.($3.95 each)
$15 shipping.

If anyone wants to know where I purchased it from can shoot me a PM. Or if not can I post the website here? If there are any NYCers that want to get in let me know so we can save on shipping to bring our costs down.[/QUOTE]

links are always welcome.

[quote name='integralsmatic']links are always welcome.[/QUOTE]

I'd smile if it were lizard lick (since it's been referenced a dozen times already)

Does anyone know of a good way to test that your buttons are working properly after you do the mod? Someone should make an XBL Indie game to do that...

[quote name='ZForce915']Does anyone know of a good way to test that your buttons are working properly after you do the mod? Someone should make an XBL Indie game to do that...[/QUOTE]

Street fighter training mode with button input display on. Don't do it at the dashboard, I bought an avatar shirt by accident

[quote name='ZForce915']I'd smile if it were lizard lick (since it's been referenced a dozen times already)[/QUOTE]

same, he is a new s guy/girl prolly doesnt know lol.

[quote name='Milkyman']Street fighter training mode with button input display on. Don't do it at the dashboard, I bought an avatar shirt by accident[/QUOTE]
:lol:

ill take that in to account when i try my buttons after mod lol.

I tested my joystick and the one button I put on and found that it was very easy. Although I recommend re-attaching the cord that goes to the joystick before putting the back plate on. Turns out you need to plug it in before it works.

*facepalm*

I still want to do the artwork so I figure it doesn't pay to fiddle with all of the buttons until I've attached my art to the front first.

Does anyone have any cool Chun Li art for the SE similar to the Chun Li TE that Mark Man shows off?

The website is ARCADESPAREPARTS.COM

If anyone in NYC area orders let me know maybe we can order together to save on shipping. My order priced out is much much cheaper than lizardlick.

[quote name='Milkyman']This was originally the art i was going to use on my HRAP but since i used non clear buttons i had these buttons laying around forever and finally had something to put them in thanks to walmart. also, my first time doing lamilabel and i must say I hate it. Gonna probably have to replace it with a vinyl print in the future

5219829393_0915869bd2_b.jpg

I also got the wrong mounting plate on my ls-32 so I'll have to wait to complete it[/QUOTE]

Absolutely beautiful. I was just playing the Vampire collection on my Dreamcast the other day. I forgot how much I love Morrigan as a character...nice work!

So...The MK stick showed up on Joystiq yesterday, with Happ parts, apparently.
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/14/mortal-kombat-special-edition-images-show-up-on-gamestop-com/

bread's done
Back