CAG Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
HIROAAAAKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII'

I love his art so much, KOFXI has the best cover art ever!!! Excellent work.

On a side note, is anyone else finding it as amusing as I the mass freakout occuring over like 3 people having problems with their TE or SE sticks on shoryuken? That shit is so funny right now, a bunch of sheep are like ooooomg should i cancel my preorder1/!?

I am so entertained right now.

I can imagine how it would be annoying for you.

I'm sure it will all pan out well.

Speaking of pans! I thought I would have nothing to eat today (no money because of SFIV!), but I found one of those "just add water!" packages of cornbread.

Cornbread for dinnnerrrr!

[quote name='MarkMan']I wanted to share this.... it was done by Shidoshi on NeoGAF...

04-1.jpg

[/quote]

Being "CROWED" King of Fighters LOL. Kinda cool, wonder how much time went into that error :(

I had a good chuckle at that review, at least the writing was decent

I was like, "Well it looks like they know what they're talking about.... *Scrolls down and sees bat top image*, nevermind!"

[quote name='MarkMan']http://arstechnica.com/gaming/revie...-fighter-iv-sticks-ars-mods-reviews-loves.ars

review on standard stick and TE...[/QUOTE]

funny how them dudes used some pliers to remove the balltop and then later decide to open the stick to change out some buttons. i wonder if they realize they could have just used a screw driver to remove it.

also they used the shaft cover with the bat top but don't mention anything about filing the shaft cover down to fit properly. seems fishy.

anyways the thing i don't like about these reviews is everybody says the sticks play good but not why they play good or reviewers will say they tested the sticks with so and so game but the reader has no idea how good the reviewer is at said games or why the sticks improve the experience with said game other than you get the "arcade experience". the reviewer can just be doing jumping roundhouse to crouching roundhouse and be like yep the stick plays good. or the arcade experience can mean anything like playing art of fighting at the laundromat while waiting for my clothes to dry. like i know why sanwa parts are good but the average reader just sees "sanwa arcade grade parts" and wouldn't have any idea why they are good. i dunno man, cookie cutter reviews and when they try to do something special like add a bat top or talk about changing microswitches it just turns into bad information. blah ok i'm done. :p

Yea man, we need good arcade stick reviews!

:)

I used to review sticks, now I review paychecks.

lol.

But I'm going to review the HRAP EX SE soon... and the...

uhh

Dominator.

Oh snap, I'll review your entire SFIV controller line, MM! 8^D

I'll need two of everything, of course. For the full experience. :D

[quote name='akuma001']anyways the thing i don't like about these reviews is everybody says the sticks play good but not why they play good or reviewers will say they tested the sticks with so and so game but the reader has no idea how good the reviewer is at said games or why the sticks improve the experience with said game other than you get the "arcade experience". the reviewer can just be doing jumping roundhouse to crouching roundhouse and be like yep the stick plays good. or the arcade experience can mean anything like playing art of fighting at the laundromat while waiting for my clothes to dry. like i know why sanwa parts are good but the average reader just sees "sanwa arcade grade parts" and wouldn't have any idea why they are good. i dunno man, cookie cutter reviews and when they try to do something special like add a bat top or talk about changing microswitches it just turns into bad information. blah ok i'm done. :p[/quote]
i laughed because of that last picture in the article.

you can usually tell how skilled someone is based on how they hold the joystick and press the buttons, and the efficiency in which they use it.

they are clearly not skilled.

[quote name='mike.m']Being "CROWED" King of Fighters LOL. Kinda cool, wonder how much time went into that error :([/QUOTE]

The neo geo mvs was not 64 bit either it had a 16 and 32 bit main processors.

[quote name='kainzero']i laughed because of that last picture in the article.

you can usually tell how skilled someone is based on how they hold the joystick and press the buttons, and the efficiency in which they use it.

they are clearly not skilled.[/quote]
uh? ok? What if their buttons are just especially crappy and you have to slam 110% of your strength to just register that shit...

Instead of looking at their joystick (the video game controller type), I'd look at how they play.

But I can understand it when you look at someone and they are using god forsaken turbo, then it's easy to call foul.

And I thought the whole "how do you hold/use your sticks" was based on comfort...

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']So it looks like people are getting damaged TE sticks and shit.

:/[/quote]

Really? Where do they put the shit? In a seperate plastic bag or in the stick itself?

Woohoo~! Just got my 360 TE stick in the mail today!!! :D I've got a PC/PS3 Cthulhu ready and waiting ;)

Great work, MarkMan! I can't wait to get home and test this baby out on SSF2THDR!

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=162653&page=383

From there forward.[/QUOTE]

That thread is getting out of control, lol. It's amazing how fucking fast people turn. People are making shit up like this:

"$150 for a stick that has scratches, cuts, broken corners, stripped screws, non-Sanwa buttons or a stick whose down direction doesn't work"

Wow. I'll keep an eye out but I'm taking nothing to heart. Also a good chunk of the hate is from people throwing tantrums that Gamestop hasn't gotten their stick in yet (a week earlier than everyone else). The only thing that's kinda getting to me is as soon as someone says something positive of theirs stick's condition, someone else replies with "Yeah so far it works, but for how long?"

[quote name='OtakuFerret']Woohoo~! Just got my 360 TE stick in the mail today!!! :D I've got a PC/PS3 Cthulhu ready and waiting ;)

[/QUOTE]

I got my Norris in today. :p

[quote name='option.iv']Instead of looking at their joystick (the video game controller type), I'd look at how they play.

But I can understand it when you look at someone and they are using god forsaken turbo, then it's easy to call foul.

And I thought the whole "how do you hold/use your sticks" was based on comfort...[/quote]
it's kinda obvious.

as an example, i'll use basketball. like even though shawn marion looks like a weirdo with his one-of-a-kind shot form, there's a certain amount of control that he has when the shot comes out that everyone understands.

granted, you will not be able to tell the difference between a good player and a great player, but you will be able to tell the difference between a scrub and one who is average. as players develop an affinity for the stick, their movement becomes more efficient.

you can do the same with regular controllers too.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=162653&page=383

From there forward.[/quote]

Hopefully we'll get a better idea of the big picture once the game actually is released and more sticks are out. Shoryuken.com is probably the pickiest bunch when it would come to pleasing stick customers, so we'll see what happens in the coming week when the majority have been shipped.

But I will say that if my stick comes scratched and with fingerprints, I will return it... and I will cancel my other preorder. It's simply not acceptable. I'm paying a premium for this stick. It's not cheap. With that kind of money you expect a certain level of quality control in its assembly.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Wow, some people are going apeshit over it[/quote]

There's a whole lot of bitching about nothing, basically about not receiving their sticks early like everyone else, but there're a few people in there would have had legitimate complaints.

There's was one guy who was arguing that the stick was "FUNCTIONAL" and we shouldn't be bitching if there are cosmetic blemishes, which is complete bull. This was marketed as a the best domestic stick available and as a collector's piece. Those people with scratches on their TEs have every right to complain.

Picked up my two 360 TE sticks earlier. Haven't had much time to mess around with them yet, but they were in near mint condition (a few minor, hardly noticeable scratches on the top) and fully functional with HD Remix (I didn't bother testing the turbo function out by the way, fuck that noise). I'm very pleased so far. Just have to get used to the more sensitive buttons and stick after playing on a Hori for so long.

[quote name='controlcommerce']I got my Norris in today. :p[/quote]
Cool, I did too. Luckily everything came in one piece. I even got another one which I'm unsure what I'll do with.
[quote name='GuardianE']There's a whole lot of bitching about nothing, basically about not receiving their sticks early like everyone else, but there're a few people in there would have had legitimate complaints.

There's was one guy who was arguing that the stick was "FUNCTIONAL" and we shouldn't be bitching if there are cosmetic blemishes, which is complete bull. This was marketed as a the best domestic stick available and as a collector's piece. Those people with scratches on their TEs have every right to complain.[/quote]
Really? I never thought Madcatz and collector's piece could be used in the same sentence. Well, at least not yet.

[quote name='kainzero']it's kinda obvious.

as an example, i'll use basketball. like even though shawn marion looks like a weirdo with his one-of-a-kind shot form, there's a certain amount of control that he has when the shot comes out that everyone understands.

granted, you will not be able to tell the difference between a good player and a great player, but you will be able to tell the difference between a scrub and one who is average. as players develop an affinity for the stick, their movement becomes more efficient.

you can do the same with regular controllers too.[/quote]
That was a bad example. Shawn Marion is horrible, don't even know why/how he got those Nike sponsorships when he was on Suns.

Efficiency? Look at Rick Barry, who had an extremely high free throw percentage. Shooting underhand isn't exactly efficient, nor is it "cool" looking in today's standard. But somehow he shot such a high free throw percentage. It was because he felt his routine was most comfortable and stuck with it.

I just feel comfort has more of a role than "efficiency" in the performance of an individual.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kainzero']it's kinda obvious.

you can do the same with regular controllers too.[/quote]
That was a bad example. Shawn Marion is horrible, don't even know why/how he got those Nike sponsorships when he was on Suns.

Efficiency? Look at Rick Barry, who had an extremely high free throw percentage. Shooting underhand isn't exactly efficient, nor is it "cool" looking in today's standard. But somehow he shot such a high free throw percentage. It was because he felt his routine was most comfortable and stuck with it.

I just feel comfort has more of a role than "efficiency" in the performance of an individual.

[quote name='option.iv']Really? I never thought Madcatz and collector's piece could be used in the same sentence. Well, at least not yet.[/quote]

Heh, it does say Limited Edition on the box, after all (I think?). ;)

It's not so much a collector's item because of Madcatz so much as it is because of Street Fighter IV. I know the Fightpads say "Collector's Edition" on them.

[quote name='controlcommerce']It's hard making fun of this dude because he seem very proud of his stick. But man, the thing is a beast and the button layout is laughable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9_HJgc-Fy4[/QUOTE]

oh shyt!!! he got dat flying V formation!!

when u play him on STHD, u gotta be like

fuck the mighty ducks!! fuck THE MIGHTY DUCKS!!

[quote name='option.iv']That was a bad example. Shawn Marion is horrible, don't even know why/how he got those Nike sponsorships when he was on Suns.

I just feel comfort has more of a role than "efficiency" in the performance of an individual.[/quote]
I'm not talking about the efficiency of his form compared to other forms, but the efficiency of his form to reduce unnecessary movements and to have total control of what he wants to do.

Like Rick Barry's underhand versus a 7 year old's underhand.

I am at a crossroads, maybe you cheap asses can help.

I am a very casual fighting game player. I spam hadoukens as if my life depended on it. I am a n00b. It is a genre I enjoy but I have never played too much because I am totally frustrated by non-working controls (360 dpad). I have always wanted to buy a stick but I have been waiting patiently for SFIV. I preordered TEs back in November from Amazon and Gamestop.

When I decided I wanted a stick, I figured that I wanted 2 sticks so that I could play with my friends who are poor.

So I got my first TE in today and I have another one coming from Amazon I hope.

The Problem:

There is a significant secondary market for the TEs and I am by no means rich. Doubling my money is a very tantilizing proposition and I am beginning to think that as a n00b, I might be better off starting with the MadCatz regular stick.

I want 2 of the same stick, regardless of which one it is.
I plan to put a cthulu in at least one stick.
I want to make sure that it is my lack of skill that limits me and not the stick.

CAG, what should I do?

Let's not talk about sports in this thread, okay guys?

Man, I hope my TE stick doesn't arrived all scratched up. That's actually pretty lame.

[quote name='eastx']Let's not talk about sports in this thread, okay guys?

Man, I hope my TE stick doesn't arrived all scratched up. That's actually pretty lame.[/quote]

Yeah I've been worrying about that all day...
I'm buying two of them, it'd piss me off to receive scratched up sticks for $300 :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back